7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Looking for a Nice Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Looking for a Nice Cold Air Intake

Hey guys,

Just wanted your input as to what cold air intake I should get. I've been hearing K&N, Takeda, Stillen... I want something that sounds loud but is also not too expensive. I don't want to go cheap or anything, just want the best sounding intake for the best price. I am going to pair it up with two flowmaster original 40 series mufflers and a 2.5 in straight pipe. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Zreik
Hey guys,

Just wanted your input as to what cold air intake I should get. I've been hearing K&N, Takeda, Stillen... I want something that sounds loud but is also not too expensive. I don't want to go cheap or anything, just want the best sounding intake for the best price. I am going to pair it up with two flowmaster original 40 series mufflers and a 2.5 in straight pipe. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
There aren't any true cold air intakes made for our cars due to limited engine bay size. One member relocated his battery to the rear and custom-built his own CAI but other than that everyone here gets a short ram. Best by far is the R2C intake, needs to be special ordered by emailing them directly I believe.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Oh ok, do you have a link as to where I can order this from?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM

http://www.r2cperformance.com/2009-2...e-system-.aspx

pretty sure u just call the number at the bottom, i already have the stillen intake, worth selling and going with the r2c? whats the big diff in the two?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Alright thanks! You know what the price on this one is?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Zreik
Alright thanks! You know what the price on this one is?
I just ordered mine last week. Getting here tomorrow. Got the group buy price = $249. Can't beat that. Can't wait to bolt this baby on.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:54 PM

The difference is the filter. Theirs is way better than stillens.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kmoney
worth selling stillen and grabbing an r2c or what
Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by bsm413
I just ordered mine last week. Getting here tomorrow. Got the group buy price = $249. Can't beat that. Can't wait to bolt this baby on.
Wow That's a great price! Will I be able to get it too?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 AM

is it just me or does the heat shield on the R2C look like it interferes with a strut tower bar?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 AM

It does n that's y u have to cut small pieces from the heat shield Rubber
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by white09maxima
is it just me or does the heat shield on the R2C look like it interferes with a strut tower bar?
it does, but you cut a small notch in the shroud and it fits. from what everyone has told me the filter on the R2C is the best by far and the shroud is easily the best I've seen as well to keep hot air out of the engine. i have Takeda and like it but am upgrading to R2C this week.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 AM

U will like it Dan...
Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Just ordered mine for the same price! Will post pics in a few days!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 PM

damn i can never get thru to them, looking to order one of these myself, u guys just call the number at the bottom of the site right? i cant get thru to cattman either looking for a high flow resonator
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kmoney

FYI K&N and AEM make the best filters......just saying

there is NO TRUE COLD AIR INTAKE FOR THE 7TH GEN UNLESS YOU DO WHAT I DID because no matter how hard they try to block out the heat IT WILL suck in hot air from the engine bay when your hood is closed (unless you decide to drive around without a hood)

stillen, rc23 whatever and whatever other brand they have are all the same **** just get the cheapest one
Old 07-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ

there is NO TRUE COLD AIR INTAKE FOR THE 7TH GEN UNLESS YOU DO WHAT I DID
my mistake then.. lol
Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 AM

there is NO TRUE COLD AIR INTAKE FOR THE 7TH GEN UNLESS YOU DO WHAT I DID because no matter how hard they try to block out the heat IT WILL suck in hot air from the engine bay when your hood is closed (unless you decide to drive around without a hood)

stillen, rc23 whatever and whatever other brand they have are all the same **** just get the cheapest one
you're right that the shrouds probably have no difference...heat still will get in on the open side...i mostly went with R2C cause of the filter media hands down everyone (including G35/G37 owners) say its the best filter.

also the R2C and takeda are dry filters with no oil so no chance of getting any oil on the MAF sensor and triggering errors.

you gotta post a vid of your cold air intake and how loud it is (if you haven't already), i still wanna hear that man
Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
you're right that the shrouds probably have no difference...heat still will get in on the open side...i mostly went with R2C cause of the filter media hands down everyone (including G35/G37 owners) say its the best filter.

also the R2C and takeda are dry filters with no oil so no chance of getting any oil on the MAF sensor and triggering errors.

you gotta post a vid of your cold air intake and how loud it is (if you haven't already), i still wanna hear that man

K&N & AEM
i dont care what G35 drivers say
(they just know how to pay mechanics to install parts)

BTW dry filter allows more dirt to get into your motor....is it worth the .1 hp increase vs the oiled filter.....NO and the only way a oiled filter will damage your MAF is if a G35 driver get the cleaner and sprays crazy amount of oil on the cone and on top of that has a short ram.

R123C whatever for filters is like E3 for spark plugs LOLOL

sorry just had to pull out the false info alert!

do they make a good intake layout? YES but as far as your filter theory your wrong sir ...
thank you have a good day
Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 AM

I've used K&N's stuff for over 10 years, never had any complaints. Just clean the filter, apply just enough recharge oil, let it dry overnight and no CEL codes.

IFuXwiTuZ is right; there is no true CAI available for the 7th gen. Not to mention all the dyno sheets from K&N, R2C, etc are all done with the hood up and cool air blowing on the front of the car.

Edit: when the hell did you put those Ray's 370Z sport wheels on there!? Looks good!

I chose Stillen's SR setup because I liked how the heat shroud integrated nicely into the factory fresh air duct from the front grille. R2C, Takeda, K&N's FIPK intakes either don't use this duct or don't connect to it directly.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:24 PM

just ordered the R2C intake, originally had the stillen but was looking for a little change, even if they're all the same and R2C supposedely is no better than the others, at $249 whether it's just as good if not better than the others, its almost $100 cheaper than stillen and K&N, cant really go wrong, as IFuXwiTuZ said about it being a dry filter allowing more dirt in, whats the best way to remedy this? (cleaners etc)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Checkout my thread.

GM Traitor3.5VQ, I share the same idea with you about the dyno these pepole do on cars with an open hood and blowing cool air to the stationary and tied down car.

Read my thread, it might be informative to you. I thinkyou might learn a little from my review. It sure is a nice intake system as it sounds nice and has a good filter.

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ny-intake.html
Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 PM

i had the nismo CAI before... the MAF sensor on my 2008 was clogged with oil... i took it to the dealership and they replaced and repaired everything for free just because it was a NISMO... the mechanic said that NISMO stopped pairing the CAI with an oiled filter just because of the exact problem that i had...
Old 07-10-2011, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ

Edit: when the hell did you put those Ray's 370Z sport wheels on there!? Looks good!

I chose Stillen's SR setup because I liked how the heat shroud integrated nicely into the factory fresh air duct from the front grille. R2C, Takeda, K&N's FIPK intakes either don't use this duct or don't connect to it directly.

yeah i love these rays wheels they are very light also my car takes off crazy from a digg

heres a video of my boy driving my car lolol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25lY...&feature=share
Old 07-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Car looks sick, it sounds mad good in that video too.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:12 PM

I was gonna buy an R2C but decided against it, gonna stick with my K&N drop in
Old 07-10-2011, 04:45 PM

If My car wasnt leased I wouldve did what IFuxwituz did, and just move the battery to the trunk and run a true CAI, from what I see his setup is made well.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 PM

yeah i love these rays wheels they are very light also my car takes off crazy from a digg

heres a video of my boy driving my car lolol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25lY...&feature=share
my bad wasnt tryin to put wrong info out there, just had read on here R2C was one of the favorites so was just passin that along. obviously you know more about intakes, you built your own lol.

real sick whip man...if I didn't know it was a Max it'd take me a second
Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 PM

i had the stillen intake i was very happy with it..... but then again you cant escape the heat with a short ram (doesnt matter what u do)

thanks for props =) i fell in love with my car all over again
Old 07-14-2011, 12:32 AM

Well, it's all done and installed today. I can't be any happier with the sound + noticeable speed gain from my maxi. It is truly a great intake and you have to hear it for yourself! Add me on facebook, I posted the video on there! facebook.com/DJZreik
Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Look just get a Stillen it's the most expensive but it's worth it! Looks the best performs better than any others and sounds very agrresive and loud. If $300 too much fr you get a Takeda it's like $180 new...
Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 PM

How is the Takeda Intake can anyone chime in on this??
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 PM

I have a takeda intake and it sounds real good but cant say much about hp gains n saving gas part... dont really notice it.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 AM

i got my stililen inttake for cheap because during the time i purchased it they had this stillen bux thing going on and i got mine for $175

cause i got the front lip, back lips, strut bar, sway bar, and pulley @ same time so i got a lot of bux lolol
Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 AM

i got my stililen inttake for cheap because during the time i purchased it they had this stillen bux thing going on and i got mine for $175

cause i got the front lip, back lips, strut bar, sway bar, and pulley @ same time so i got a lot of bux lolol
Post some pic's.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 PM

pics of what?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:30 PM

I've noticed all the intakes are short ram so a shop that used to work on my Subaru will be tasked with making me a custom cold air intake(longer pipe) in an appropriate place that will not suck in much air. I'm also thinking about relocating the battery to the rear to free up space in the engine bay. Even when the car is sitting in traffic it will be close enough to the front that it doesnt suck in a lot of heat.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What type of intake you have? Just got my Max a few months ago. Don't know to much. Looking to learn.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Boxer112
I've noticed all the intakes are short ram so a shop that used to work on my Subaru will be tasked with making me a custom cold air intake(longer pipe) in an appropriate place that will not suck in much air. I'm also thinking about relocating the battery to the rear to free up space in the engine bay. Even when the car is sitting in traffic it will be close enough to the front that it doesnt suck in a lot of heat.

i already did that...and if you gonna pay a shop to do it its gonna be about $300+ to do and for $300+ thats the most stupidest mod you could do!
if you do it yourself then its cool...oh yeah i just installed my AEM bypass valve few days ago but this pic was taking @ a car show last month in SC! (actually won 2nd place for best overall car out of 50 cars that where there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTdCmyXBLC8

and now its wrapped

i need to put the engine cover on but i didnt finish painting it....been lazy
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM

nice wally... will hit you up in two months or so when am ready to built the CAI.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Nice Cold Air Intake