7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2012 Maxima Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by colombianmaxima
i was told they were gunna make the 2012 diesel powered i think and manual but i heard that idea was trashed
That was Nissan's 2008 plan for the 2010 Maxima, but the recession nixed that in 2009. I would love to see a diesel version of the 8th gen 2014 model, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't see any way this recession ends before 2014 or 2015, and neither the recession nor the recovery from it have any connection to either political party, popular myths and poltical verbage notwithstanding. Until the backlog of over a dozen million empty homes is reduced to half that number, there can be no real recovery.

If economic conditions do not improve, there is even a chance Nissan could keep the 7th gen through the 2014 model year, but that is unlikely.

Nissan is currently working to raise sales in China, Brazil and India. Gohsn says the aim is to increase Nissan's percentage of total worldwide auto production from 5% to 8% within 5 years.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I don't see any way this recession ends before 2014 or 2015, and neither the recession nor the recovery from it have any connection to either political party, popular myths and poltical verbage notwithstanding. Until the backlog of over a dozen million empty homes is reduced to half that number, there can be no real recovery.
+1

Recession was caused by greedy banks/bankers giving out loans to people who couldn't afford houses...I work at a Real Estate company and since 2008 we've been seeing their 5 year ARM loans expire and it will keep happening for the next several years you are correct. Has little to do with Democrat/Republican and more to do with greedy people abusing power. Nearly 80% of our volume are foreclosed homes now...

Unfortunate because I'd have loved to see a Diesel or a manual 2012 Max...

Last edited by Ghozt; 06-29-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM

Maybe It's Just Me But I Wasn't Thrilled When They Introduced The 7 Gen Maximas. I Believe They Are Transitioning From 4DSC To A More Upscale Type Of Branding. Altimas Are Filling In The Maxima's Place
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

glad i didn't wait. wishing i got the sport package though. love the brushed aluminum.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM

That was Nissan's 2008 plan for the 2010 Maxima, but the recession nixed that in 2009. I would love to see a diesel version of the 8th gen 2014 model, but I'm not holding my breath.

If economic conditions do not improve, there is even a chance Nissan could keep the 7th gen through the 2014 model year, but that is unlikely.

Nissan is currently working to raise sales in China, Brazil and India. Gohsn says the aim is to increase Nissan's percentage of total worldwide auto production from 5% to 8% within 5 years.
From my sources still at Corporate (worked there for 11 yrs before they moved to TN from CA) it will run 6 model yrs as this current Altima is doing 07-12 model yrs still with strong sales.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Im just glad I have the sweet original sport 19's and not these 370Z knock offs
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 PM

Phew finally weight off my shoulders, when I got mine in Janurary I thought I was going to regret it when 2012 was revealed. I now feel good.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Thaboywonder6588
Maybe It's Just Me But I Wasn't Thrilled When They Introduced The 7 Gen Maximas. I Believe They Are Transitioning From 4DSC To A More Upscale Type Of Branding. Altimas Are Filling In The Maxima's Place
Yes. In 2002, Ghosn announced that the Maxima would be going upscale to near luxury, and the 3.5 Altima would replace the Maxima as the affordable 4DSC. That wasn't fully visible with the 2002 5.5 gen Maxima, but those looking closely began to notice.

By the release of the 2004 6th gen Maxima, it was fairly obvious the Maxima was moving upscale and further away from the 4DSC it had been for many generations. The 3.5 Altima was indeed becoming the new 'Maxima.'

But along about 2006, Nissan decided it may have made a mistake with the Maxima, so, although keeping it upscale at near-luxury, Nissan decided to bring a sporting edge back to the Maxima, and that is what they did with the 7th generation.

Upscal, near-luxury, with athletic stance, aggressive styling and a sporty edge. That is today's Maxima.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
From my sources still at Corporate (worked there for 11 yrs before they moved to TN from CA) it will run 6 model yrs as this current Altima is doing 07-12 model yrs still with strong sales.
First time I had heard this. Makes sense. In actuality, adding that 6th year to the 7th generation makes it more likely that the 8th generation Maxima will have major changes.

If indeed the 8th gen does not arrive until 2015, we could see a diesel Maxima, or even a hybrid Maxima. Fuel efficiency will be paramount with all vehicles by then, so I would expect the CVT would still be the only tranny. The manual, which once was the most fuel-efficient tranny, is now the least fuel-efficient tranny. The government is now suggesting a 55 MPG fleet average by 2025.

Thanks for the input, Monte.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:28 AM

Upscale, near-luxury, with athletic stance, aggressive styling and a sporty edge. That is today's Maxima.
That sentence right there is exactly why I got a 7th gen.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
That sentence right there is exactly why I got a 7th gen.
Ditto, in my opinion the SV sport with all packages was exactly what I wanted. Not quite interested in the rear sunshade as I got tints, and the panorama roof, nice touch, but not worth the extra grand
Old 06-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Yes. In 2002, Ghosn announced that the Maxima would be going upscale to near luxury, and the 3.5 Altima would replace the Maxima as the affordable 4DSC. That wasn't fully visible with the 2002 5.5 gen Maxima, but those looking closely began to notice.

By the release of the 2004 6th gen Maxima, it was fairly obvious the Maxima was moving upscale and further away from the 4DSC it had been for many generations. The 3.5 Altima was indeed becoming the new 'Maxima.'

But along about 2006, Nissan decided it may have made a mistake with the Maxima, so, although keeping it upscale at near-luxury, Nissan decided to bring a sporting edge back to the Maxima, and that is what they did with the 7th generation.

Upscal, near-luxury, with athletic stance, aggressive styling and a sporty edge. That is today's Maxima.
Yep hit on the nose light, us Max guys noticed and as Ghosn states the begining of this trend started with the 02 5.5 gen. When they added such features as heated steering wheel, memory seats, Xenon lights etc etc, overall softer feel to drive vs the 01 and older as well to start catering to a slightly different buyer. 6th gen kept this trend going by getting even softer and adding available 2 seat rear seat options with other features etc etc.

We should all just be happy that Nissan has not taken this car in the direction of the Avalon totally as a pure luxo style cruiser.....Boy do I remember the days when the Cressida (Avalons predecessor) was sorta sporty and competed with the Max pretty good, Max was always sportier and Avalon more Luxo style. I know Light knows this but the Max is what they called the first Sports Sedan (becoming very popular with the sporty 2nd gen) from Japan and created that niche for Japenese "Sports Sedans" with many to follow..... G20/G35, Vigor/TL, etc etc.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 06-30-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
No manual no care!
Bingo.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM

The new grill looks like the altima grill. It works out nice for the altima...not on the maxima.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Refresh is not bad. I'm ok on the grill but the rear clear lenses are to Altima like. Wheels look good. I had to go back and edit post after reading this part.

"The other big news for the 2012 Maxima is the addition of a special Limited Edition Package, which features smoked appearance headlights, High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlights, a compass in the rearview mirror, 18-inch aluminum-alloy Dark Hyper Silver colored wheels, a rear spoiler, dark satin chrome front grille, fog lights, illuminated kick plates, outside mirrors with integrated turn signals and metallic trim on the center cluster, center console and door armrest grips."

So those pics are 18" from a limited package. So seems like there will 3 rims designs, updated sport 19"rims and 18" non sport and then limited package rims. I didn't think the previous sport wheels were bad but I would like to see the non sport rims, because IMO they needed a better design.

Yeah I think they are sticking with these long product cycles. I mean the Altima is still on same body style from 07 and 12 model coming out in a few months is same design. Matter of fact Sentra is to.

So Nissan will be busy with with new Versa about to drop, then sometime next year Sentra and Altima. Maxima is still pretty fresh, so that can hold its own for next 2-3yrs.

Last edited by 7speed; 06-30-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I was really considering getting a 7.5 Gen when my lease on my 7th Gen is up next year. Looks like I'll slide over to an Infiniti until the 2nd model year of the 8th Gen.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Doesn't seem different enough to justify the effort.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm pretty disappointed with the mid life refreshing. Not really all that much changing. I think they could have done a little bit more cosmetically and with some new tech features (like dual front cooling seats, power folding mirrors, etc). I was hoping the front end lower lip would get more enclosed so not so much of the manifold and parts underneath are exposed and open for all to see. They did that on the Altima refresh in 2010 and was hoping for the same on the 2012 Maxima refresh but such is life.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 PM

Not loving the new grille - looks like an Altima now. What I love about my '09 is that the Nissan burger is so HUGE, and the grille just looks lower overall - to me, the '09 looks "meaner" in the front.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Surly
Not loving the new grille - looks like an Altima now. What I love about my '09 is that the Nissan burger is so HUGE, and the grille just looks lower overall - to me, the '09 looks "meaner" in the front.
I'm not sure I really see the Altima in the '12 grille, because the Altima has a slightly differently shaped grille. But I agree that this new grille looks less aggressive ON DARKER CARS because the chrome surround stands out too much. But on a light car (especially silver or white), the chrome surround blends in with the paint, and the dark grille seems smaller - sort of like the grille of an Italian sports car.

If I had to drive a '12 Maxima with dark paint, I think I would either be sanding and painting that chrome grille surround black, or overlaying it with a high quality black plastic tape.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Does anyone know when Nissan will release the 2012 Maxima pricing?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Beach
Does anyone know when Nissan will release the 2012 Maxima pricing?
It will happen within the next three weeks, possibly within two weeks.

Nissan already has the numbers, but the way their site is set up, there is room only for one set of Maxima prices, and the 2011 prices are what customers are still using to price and buy cars at this time.

I would bet that the prices of the 2012 will be extremely close to the prices of the 2011.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM

It will happen within the next three weeks, possibly within two weeks.

Nissan already has the numbers, but the way their site is set up, there is room only for one set of Maxima prices, and the 2011 prices are what customers are still using to price and buy cars at this time.

I would bet that the prices of the 2012 will be extremely close to the prices of the 2011.
Thanks Light, very curious how they will price the new Limited Edition package - just the options I want.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 PM

NICEEEEE i personally like it. Cant wait to see them out in NY
Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 AM

Thanks Light, very curious how they will price the new Limited Edition package - just the options I want.
Yes, that will be the 'newby' that did not exist previously, so we have no way of comparing its price to anything.

I would expect this package to cost around $1,000 or more. That may sound like a lot, but there is a lot in this package, and it changes this base 'S' into a very enjoyable showpiece. Some of these features are not even available on a loaded Maxima with Premium Package costing over $40,000.

We will find out soon . . .
Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 PM

I am so stoked that the 2012 Maxima S is going to offer the Premium Package. My wife & I can't stand leather interior and now we can order a Max with some bells & whistles without having to get leather interior.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Not liking the grill, and not sure about the tail lights. I'll keep my 2010. Probably no more Crimson black either.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Hokie350Z
Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet:
Sorry to disappoint with the late reply but
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...l-changes.html
Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by jspagna
I am so stoked that the 2012 Maxima S is going to offer the Premium Package. My wife & I can't stand leather interior and now we can order a Max with some bells & whistles without having to get leather interior.
You mean the Limited Editon package right? I feel the same about the leather interior, can get real sticky here in south Florida. Would appreciate any comments from S owners as to how the cloth seats have been holding up.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 AM

I would only change the Tail Lights and the Control ***** in my 2011 Max
Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 AM

You mean the Limited Editon package right? I feel the same about the leather interior, can get real sticky here in south Florida. Would appreciate any comments from S owners as to how the cloth seats have been holding up.
Whatever the Package is, I welcome it. My wife hates the 2010 TL I bought her. She hates the leather seats and she hates how big the car is.
The thing is that if I trade the TL in now I'll take a huge hit especially cause I'm not going to buy another Acura vehicle.
I'm thinking I'll give my 97 4Runner to my daughter and drive the TL for a year or two and trade it in for a new 4Runner.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hokie350Z
Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet:

Pics:
http://nissannews.com/image-gallery....ryId=400&mid=1

"2012 Nissan Maxima
The flagship Nissan Maxima continues to set the bar for Nissan sedans, combining breakthrough sports sedan styling, a driver-oriented cockpit, ample comfort and luxury for passengers and an advanced drivetrain anchored by Nissan’s legendary VQ-series V6 engine.

For 2012, the iconic Maxima receives a refreshed exterior – with a new front grille design, new rear combination lights, and new 18-inch and 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheel designs. Inside, the roomy Maxima interior’s enhancements include a new meter cluster illumination color (white), new Dark Piano-hairline trim, a new Atlantic Cheery wood tone trim and a new Beige interior color. There’s also a new audio segment display and new audio/HVAC **** design.

The other big news for the 2012 Maxima is the addition of a special Limited Edition Package, which features smoked appearance headlights, High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlights, a compass in the rearview mirror, 18-inch aluminum-alloy Dark Hyper Silver colored wheels, a rear spoiler, dark satin chrome front grille, fog lights, illuminated kick plates, outside mirrors with integrated turn signals and metallic trim on the center cluster, center console and door armrest grips.

In addition, two new exterior colors are offered for 2012: Java Metallic and Dark Slate.

Key features of the 2012 Nissan Maxima include:
• Standard 290-horsepower 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve VQ-series V6 engine
• Standard Xtronic CVT® with manual and “DS” (drive sport) modes with available paddle shifters
• Independent front strut/independent multi-link rear suspension
• A wide range of available technology, including a Bose® premium audio system, RearView Monitor and Nissan Hard Drive Navigation system with XM NavTraffic? Real-Time Traffic information and XM NavWeather™ (XM® subscription required, sold separately) and Voice Recognition
• Available equipment packages include Sport Package, Premium Package, Tech Package and new Limited Edition Package – allowing customers to fine-tune their Maximas to precisely fit their specific needs and budgets

The 2012 Nissan Maxima is available in two models – 3.5 S and 3.5 SV. It is scheduled to go on sale at Nissan dealers nationwide in late summer 2011."
No offense to your original post, but those rims look like rims from the 370Z. Other than the rims, I see no different visuals form the 2011 model year.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Schneid
No offense to your original post, but those rims look like rims from the 370Z. Other than the rims, I see no different visuals form the 2011 model year.
The grille looks different, with the bars blacked and the new thicker chrome surround. The tail lights are very slightly different. As you say, the wheels are also different. This is not a new generation, but just a half-gen, which usually has few external changes, especially in this case, where they got it right the first time. We do have two new exterior colors.

But there are internal changes, including upholstery changes, and, for the first time, a REAL Tire pressure Monitoring Sysyem. The one in the '09 thru '11 was nearly worthless.

I'm thankful Nissan did not make more external changes just for change's sake. Even the change to the grille surround is only an improvement on light colored cars. In my opinion, it was not an improvement for dark cars, where it looks almost garish.

I'm sure most '09 thru '11 owners are pleased with the '12, because, as Schneid said, it will look the same to folks not extremely familiar with the 7th gen, so their older 7th gens will not look 'dated.'