7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Am I crazy to be considering trading for a Camry???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 PM

Am I crazy to be considering trading for a Camry???

I test drove a Camry tonight for something to do and it was pretty nice. It was the SE V6 model. The pro's as I can see is, cheaper payment, better fuel mileage with reg. 87 octane. 2 years no maintance cost. The con's, it's just not a Maxima! Any thought???
Old 03-12-2011, 08:22 PM

I've gone the trade down route before and I was deeply filled with regret eventually. I went from a loaded 05' Subaru Legacy GT Limited (that I fell asleep at the wheel in and totaled) to my 07' Civic SI, that while a good car was not on the same level. I thought the fun nature of the car would be enough to fill the performance void while the money saved in payments and gas would appeal to my frugal side. Eventally I broke down and had to trade the SI in on something better, in this case the Maxima I now have in my garage.

The Camry is a good car, but is a pretty boring ride in my opinion. Depending on your current interest rate, you may want to consider refinancing your Maxima and see if you can get a lower rate or push your term out a bit to lower your payments if that is the concern.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 PM

i hate the camry one of our cars is a 08 camry and its my wifes everyday car and it just poorly made its almost time to get rid of it lol.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM

A guy at work bought a new Camry and said he is overall disappointed in it, mainly in the build quality and fit and finish. I could tell by looking it isn't even close to being on the same level as the Maxima, I think in the end you will be disappointed.

I'm thinking about trading mine in after I put a few thousand more miles on it for a 2011 Charger R/T Max AWD. It has all the same amenities as the Maxima with a 380 HP Hemi and AWD, and the coolest taillights in the industry.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 PM

Yea I would never ever go to a Camry, its just an extremley average car, and its boring as all hell. I would only trade up from this car, not down. Like Gear Head said, the 2011 R/T Charger is tempting.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 AM

It's very fast and very smooth. It's also boring as hell and the Sport trim pieces look tacked on to what's already an unpleasant body style. For my part, if I can't stand the looks or the driving experience, the ancillary benefits are immaterial.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 AM

The Camry would be sucha step down from the MAxima you would be on here in a week complaining ... Don't do it JUST DONT... you would have to get a Lexus or obviously an Infinity to compare to the MAX
Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 AM

one word - No. if your money is tight then maybe this is a decision you HAVE to do. but like everyone else has mentioned, you wont enjoy it. i used to own a Sentra and id never go back...not now...
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 AM

I picked up my new Maxima this week and drove just about everything out there including the Camry. Agreed the Camry and Accord are just plain boring to drive.
The Charger caught my eye and the only car that had me on the fence was the G37.

Stick with the Maxima.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:45 AM

After sleeping on it I don't think I could part with the Max. The money isn't an issue as far as the payments go, although I am frugal and hate to pay more for something than I have too. That being said I think I need to go give my baby a bath. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by Ohio Maxima; 03-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 AM

I just traded in my 2009 toyota camry se v6 yesterday for my new 2011 maxima sv prem/prem tech and i gotta say from having a fully loaded camry the maxima is a over all way better car. handling performance and tech wise.Dont get me wrong i loved my camry and for a average everyday car it was a pretty quick car that people slept on but was time for change.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2010 Maxima SV and my wife has a 2011 V6 Camry SE with all options but navigation. I drive her car when snow is on the ground, that's it. The camry is a nice "everyday" car but it has NO personality. You can't possibly like a Maxima and trade it for a Camry and be happy with it.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by stonehart
I have a 2010 Maxima SV and my wife has a 2011 V6 Camry SE with all options but navigation. I drive her car when snow is on the ground, that's it. The camry is a nice "everyday" car but it has NO personality. You can't possibly like a Maxima and trade it for a Camry and be happy with it.

I agree. I just spent a few hours taking off each wheel and cleaning them. It makes me appreciate the Maxima's beauty when you clean her up.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM

I Agree

My lady has a V6 Camry. Its a good daily driver but it feels to plain, interior and exterior wise it doesnt grab me.

When she saw my Max she was blown away. Thought it was some kind of Infinity from far cuz she'a never seen it in person. One thing she said to me that stays in my head " This looks like a Guy's car so i dont think i can drive it or at least its not for me". Which is more than fine with me! Cheaaaa
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM
TBA

Originally Posted by ToroMax
I Agree

My lady has a V6 Camry. Its a good daily driver but it feels to plain, interior and exterior wise it doesnt grab me.

When she saw my Max she was blown away. Thought it was some kind of Infinity from far cuz she'a never seen it in person. One thing she said to me that stays in my head " This looks like a Guy's car so i dont think i can drive it or at least its not for me". Which is more than fine with me! Cheaaaa
It's funny she said that. Around here I see a lot of women driving Maximas - probably like 60%.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM

a hot woman driving a a35 maxima is very sexy.

Originally Posted by TBA
It's funny she said that. Around here I see a lot of women driving Maximas - probably like 60%.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by TBA
+1

The average age I see in my area is 40-50 too. Crazy cougars.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Love my '09

Nothing against the Camry. There's millions of them on the road. That has to say something about being "average" but reliable.

My only concern would be if they fixed that "extended acceleration" feature that so many folks have had with Toyota.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
My only concern would be if they fixed that "extended acceleration" feature that so many folks have had with Toyota.
actually never existed
Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Boring is the key word repeated over and over
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Maxima
After sleeping on it I don't think I could part with the Max. The money isn't an issue as far as the payments go, although I am frugal and hate to pay more for something than I have too. That being said I think I need to go give my baby a bath. Thanks for all the input.
Glad to hear you're staying with the Max. as others said, the Camry is just to plain and lacking presence. the ONLY reason a switch would make sense is if you were really pressed on funds but thankfully it sounds like you're not
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM

Glad to see that you're sticking with the Maxima. I test drove the Avalon before I bought my Maxima and the car did absolutely nothing for me on the test drive. The saleman that was in the car with me even must have noticed my negative reactions, because when we got back to the dealer from the the test drive he politely gave my keys and my license back to me without even pressuring me even once to go do the paperwork to procure the vehicle.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 AM

If I were a private detective, double agent, bank robber, or for whatever reason needed to 'fly under the radar', the Camry would be the first vehicle I would check out.

If I used a Camry to rob a bank, and drove away in full view of bank employees, when the police asked about the getaway vehicle, the best answer they would get would be something like 'It was a white car . . . I think . . .'

If your usage for a vehicle is simply to get from point 'A' to point 'B', consider the Camry.

If you have any interest whatsoever about enjoying the trip between point 'A' and point 'B', do not consider the Camry.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 AM

[quote=lightonthehill;7971283]If I were a private detective, double agent, bank robber, or for whatever reason needed to 'fly under the radar', the Camry would be the first vehicle I would check out.

If I used a Camry to rob a bank, and drove away in full view of bank employees, when the police asked about the getaway vehicle, the best answer they would get would be something like 'It was a white car . . . I think . . .'

Ditto for the Honda Accord-can you imagine tracking down a "late model silver Accord?"

The Accord and Camry are good vehicles and I test drove both of them just to compare. I was thinking of just keeping my car until I drove the Maxima. It is so much more of a car as compared to both of them.
I had a Camry for a rental and really liked it-very quiet and smooth but I also knew I was returning it in a few days and going back to a better automobile.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM

The good thing about the camry is you will get a good bargain for the car. lightonthehill is right you will be a dime a dozen out there as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maximum Drive
The good thing about the camry is you will get a good bargain for the car. lightonthehill is right you will be a dime a dozen out there as well.
Try like 11 of a Dozen....lol. In almost every group of cars I'm in at a stop light there is at least 1 Cam, Acc, or both. I see tons of them from every gen every where, primarily the 90 body style Accord and 92 Camry on up to current. They make a good lasting car but as many said very boring, in that class the Alti is the sporty one of the bunch and is acclaimed in most pubs as being so!

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 03-15-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Try like 11 of a Dozen....lol. In almost every group of cars I'm in at a stop light there is at least 1 Cam, Acc, or both. I see tons of them from every gen every where, primarily the 90 body style Accord and 92 Camry on up to current. They make a good lasting car but as many said very boring, in that class the Alti is the sporty one of the bunch and is acclaimed in most pubs as being so!
Hmm maybe it's time for me to invest some of my portfolio in Honda stock...
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Maximum Drive
Hmm maybe it's time for me to invest some of my portfolio in Honda stock...
Humm
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

+1, the cougars gotta have fun too and if i could i would oblige some, especially one's driving the max.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My wife has a Camry and hates it. I used to have an 08 Altima and kind of liked to drive the Camry better but the Maxima is a much more fun car to drive and a lot cooler looking. I once read an article describing the Camry as a microwave. Pretty boring and everbody has one.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Maxima
I test drove a Camry tonight for something to do and it was pretty nice. It was the SE V6 model. The pro's as I can see is, cheaper payment, better fuel mileage with reg. 87 octane. 2 years no maintance cost. The con's, it's just not a Maxima! Any thought???
Yes, you are crazy. Oh, im sorry, was that a rhetorical question.

All kidding aside, I looked at the Camry first before buying the Maxima. Not to repeat what others have already said but it just was boring. It lacked that UGHFA that the maxima has. If I wasnt comparing it to the Maxima, I would think that it is an alright car. But since I know the Maxima exists...Maxima wins.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I like the look of the camry SE model (6 cylinder) and its pretty fast too. I almost bought it before buying my max - but like everyone says, you see them at every single stoplight. also the nav/stereo package that comes in them is out dated garbage. another thing - that car is getting redesigned really soon.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by love4steel
I like the look of the camry SE model (6 cylinder) and its pretty fast too. I almost bought it before buying my max - but like everyone says, you see them at every single stoplight. also the nav/stereo package that comes in them is out dated garbage. another thing - that car is getting redesigned really soon.
Yes, A co-worker of mine has a 2011 camry with Nav and the screen resolution is crap. But I must say the v6 is pretty fast. I just can't picture myself driving a camry. IMO the camry is on the level of the altima. The Maxima is up there with The G37, IS350, TL etc. Fully Loaded it comes with alot of the features offered on these cars and it's in the same price range. Hell a fully loaded maxima has options not available on any of those cars(e.g. Panoramic Sunroof).
Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 AM

With gas prices going up and up and Maximas recommending premium gas, i'd go for the camry. I got maxima but sometimes I drive around in my beater (2002 Corolla)
Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by maximakid06
Yes, A co-worker of mine has a 2011 camry with Nav and the screen resolution is crap. But I must say the v6 is pretty fast. I just can't picture myself driving a camry. IMO the camry is on the level of the altima. The Maxima is up there with The G37, IS350, TL etc. Fully Loaded it comes with alot of the features offered on these cars and it's in the same price range. Hell a fully loaded maxima has options not available on any of those cars(e.g. Panoramic Sunroof).
The Camry looks nice, but is way to soft in the handling department, my buddies V6 has nice power but takes turns like a pickup

Originally Posted by rudals1281
With gas prices going up and up and Maximas recommending premium gas, i'd go for the camry. I got maxima but sometimes I drive around in my beater (2002 Corolla)
I have looked at friends with 4cylinder Camrys and they get slightly better gas mileage then me, maybe 200-500 a year in savings, it adds up but not enough to justify losing everything the Maxima has to offer, and my buddies 06 Corolla is nice but I feel like Im in an upgraded golf cart
Old 04-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
The Camry looks nice, but is way to soft in the handling department, my buddies V6 has nice power but takes turns like a pickup

I have looked at friends with 4cylinder Camrys and they get slightly better gas mileage then me, maybe 200-500 a year in savings, it adds up but not enough to justify losing everything the Maxima has to offer, and my buddies 06 Corolla is nice but I feel like Im in an upgraded golf cart
I definitely agree that the Maxima is just so dang sexy...but I thought Camrys had good mpg but I guess not. Also, I have a 2002 Corolla as a beater and when I use it to commute to work I feel like everyone on the road is staring at me. So embarrassed when I am in my beater.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rudals1281
I definitely agree that the Maxima is just so dang sexy...but I thought Camrys had good mpg but I guess not. Also, I have a 2002 Corolla as a beater and when I use it to commute to work I feel like everyone on the road is staring at me. So embarrassed when I am in my beater.
It must be in bad shape on the outside if you feel like that, as I see plenty 00-02 ish Corolla's that are in good shape every day.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Keep in mind that there is a price to pay every time we switch cars. Someone is making money and someone is losing money. There are taxes and paperwork and registration fees and license tags and insurance, etc, etc. I am getting around 25 MPG around the area where I live, and between 27 and 31 MPG on freeway trips. I would not change vehicles based on fuel efficiency unless I was improving my MPG by at least six MPG.

Also keep in mind that Nissan has softened their stance on requiring premium in the Maxima. I am using midgrade without a whisper of a problem. Some here are using regular.

I have switched to midgrade after the first 18 months in every Maxima I have ever owned (and I have owned nothing but Maximas for 27 years). Changing to midgrade has never changed the MPG I was getting, and I was not able to detect any change in performance (but then I never take my car to the track).
Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Yes, you are crazy sir.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 PM

yes, take off the skirt.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to be considering trading for a Camry???