7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Good news for NAV upgrades 2010+ Maximas

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 AM

Good news for NAV upgrades 2010+ Maximas

According to a newly published NTB, 2010+ Maxima owners will soon be able to upgrade the NAV software in the car by simply ordering a NAV upgrade DVD disk. The disk will be used for upgrade, but does not need to remain in the car after the upgrade is complete.
This is great news for some of us. 2009 Maxima owners are stuck with the dealer service fee for upgrades.

Here is link to NTB
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...id=536&id=3088

Max
Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Thx for the link maxud.

Last edited by jasn; 03-09-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM

thanks for the info....how do we go about ordering the dvd ? ?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Nissan map updates, just like any other car manufacturer's out there cost money.

Here is the link to buy updated maps
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...dMenuItem=Home

Navteq site says the update is not yet available for 10-11 Maxima's. The NTB states that the ability to update will be coming soon. Not sure where the delay is.

Max
Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Does this just give you newly mapped roads or upgrade the interface as well?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM

I use my DroidX with google maps and its way better then the stock Nav
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM

I think it just upgrades the software.

You have got to be kidding with the cell phone being WAY better. This Navigation Unit is awesome. If you prefer the google maps Nav in your Droid, then you haven't set this up properly, or haven't used it enough.
Yes it sucks that you have to pay for Traffic, but this Nav is sweet.
3d birds eye view, split screens, etc... It has historical traffic, similar to tomtom routes. And it Learns your route. If you use a certain road all the time instead of the road suggested by the nav, the unit will in the future start to use that road.
You should play around with it you will be surprised.
I AM NOT SAYING that it is a bargain or even worth it over a portable or cell phone, but if its already installed in your Maxima, you may find its better than you thought...

Last edited by steevo; 03-09-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
...This is great news for some of us. 2009 Maxima owners are stuck with the dealer service fee for upgrades.
I paid no dealer update service fee when I got my 2009's Nav. Maps updated last month.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by steevo
I think it just upgrades the software.

You have got to be kidding with the cell phone being WAY better. This Navigation Unit is awesome. If you prefer the google maps Nav in your Droid, then you haven't set this up properly, or haven't used it enough.
Yes it sucks that you have to pay for Traffic, but this Nav is sweet.
3d birds eye view, split screens, etc... It has historical traffic, similar to tomtom routes. And it Learns your route. If you use a certain road all the time instead of the road suggested by the nav, the unit will in the future start to use that road.
You should play around with it you will be surprised.
I AM NOT SAYING that it is a bargain or even worth it over a portable or cell phone, but if its already installed in your Maxima, you may find its better than you thought...
WOW, my 09 has none of those features, seems like just an update version from my 06 Maxima, I do use the Nav, probably more then any here except for traveling salesman, but I have run both my Navs side by side and the google Maps are way better then the Nissan, driving from ATL to NY, the Nissan Nav does nothing but points you straight until the next straightest route, with the google maps on my droid I cut 2 hours off my driving time, taking roads I never would have got to with my 09 Nav.

Please tell me how to access these features cause they are not in my Nissan Navigation Manual and I read that along with the owners Manual
Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
WOW, my 09 has none of those features, seems like just an update version from my 06 Maxima, I do use the Nav, probably more then any here except for traveling salesman, but I have run both my Navs side by side and the google Maps are way better then the Nissan, driving from ATL to NY, the Nissan Nav does nothing but points you straight until the next straightest route, with the google maps on my droid I cut 2 hours off my driving time, taking roads I never would have got to with my 09 Nav.

Please tell me how to access these features cause they are not in my Nissan Navigation Manual and I read that along with the owners Manual
09 has - 3d birds eye view and split screens. Never heard about the rest.
Though this topic is not Nissan NAV vs Google or anyone else. This is for those who are thinking of upgrading their maps.
Max
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 AM

While the graphics and database might not be as nice and complete in say Honda/Acura or Audi products, this navigation system is pretty nice and simple to use. I have not run into any trouble using it and I love how easy it was to learn and how easy it is to use.

Only thing I wish Nissan would change is that you did not have to set the region when first inputing a destination if it is not in your current region of states where you live. It's easy to forget sometimes and then you have to go back and start all over again. For me, I live in NJ, which is region 7 I believe but right next store is PA which is a different region so I have to make sure I change that first before putting in a destination.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by smarty666
While the graphics and database might not be as nice and complete in say Honda/Acura or Audi products, ....
Funny you should say that. I guess most people don't realize that there are only a few sources of the actual road databases. The Nissan provider is NAVTEQ, that also provides data to:
Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infinity, JVC, Jaguar, Jeep, KIA, Land Rover, Lincoln, MINI, Maybach, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, VW, Volvo.

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...AhEo7m--Dab_Q?

So the only thing that differentiates all above vehicles is the manufacturer of the interface system (brains of the system). The maps published at the same time frame are identical.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by maxud
Funny you should say that. I guess most people don't realize that there are only a few sources of the actual road databases. The Nissan provider is NAVTEQ, that also provides data to:
Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infinity, JVC, Jaguar, Jeep, KIA, Land Rover, Lincoln, MINI, Maybach, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, VW, Volvo.

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...AhEo7m--Dab_Q?

So the only thing that differentiates all above vehicles is the manufacturer of the interface system (brains of the system). The maps published at the same time frame are identical.
You are right on point Maxud. It is not the maps that differentiates these systems from one another. It is how the maps are used. That being said, I'm betting there are significant differences in how the nav system uses the various data points that make up the maps.

Thanks for providing the info on the map updates. I haven't checked out the link yet but I'm hoping it will come with some POI updates also. In my opinion, that is one of the best things about the system in the Max. It is nice to be able to just touch an exit indicator on the interstate and see what is available from that exit. The same thing applies for the system's ability to search for destinations based on category.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM

I agree.. I have used Navs in Honda, GM and Dodge. Garmin and TomTom and Navigon .And Google on my phone . I really like the functionality of the Nissan Navigation in the Maxima over all. I think its very well done. I think it is made by Bosch and Clarion.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM

The nav always has me go out of the way.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 PM

The only other Nav system Ive used is my Dad's Garmin, and Id have to say the Nissan Navi isnt far off. Its really good, but I would still like to update it if I can.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:30 PM

I like the nav on my Maxima, but don't like that it doesn't stay in my state when entering addresses. It uses GPS, but searches for locations in NJ when I'm in Missouri.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 PM

yeah i prefer my Google Maps nav over the stock one, the roads are almost always up to date and I get free traffic overlay. I do still use the stock one though when I'm using my tablet for something else. be nice to get a free map upgrade...stupid thing is missing most of the recent road changes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 PM

I have to say google maps works better for me. When driving on back roads it has no map data in some spots. If every road isn't on there what good is it? This is roads that have been around for numerous years. Not a new one by a long shot.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by speed4tu
I have to say google maps works better for me. When driving on back roads it has no map data in some spots. If every road isn't on there what good is it? This is roads that have been around for numerous years. Not a new one by a long shot.
But we have to be wary of depending on any source when way out in the boonies. I was using my nav to take back roads and bypass towns in SC a few years ago, and a road marked very clearly on my nav as a 'through' road went around eight miles, turned to gravel, then to dirt, then ended up as a cow path ending at the gate of a farmer's pigsty.