7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Stock sport springs on Premium SV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:19 AM

Stock sport springs on Premium SV?

My husband and I both have 09 Maximas. His has the sport package and mine has the premium sv package. We both have paddle shifters?

He just installed new Eibach springs on this car. I was wondering if we have the same stock springs or could he install his stock springs on my premium sv package. Would I notice a difference?

When I drive his car I notice that it is stiffer around corners and I'd like that feeling for my car.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by emckissack
My husband and I both have 09 Maximas. His has the sport package and mine has the premium sv package. We both have paddle shifters?

He just installed new Eibach springs on this car. I was wondering if we have the same stock springs or could he install his stock springs on my premium sv package. Would I notice a difference?

When I drive his car I notice that it is stiffer around corners and I'd like that feeling for my car.
the stock spring are the same
Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 AM

What parts of the suspension are different for the sport vs the premium sv packages?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 PM

What parts of the suspension are different for the sport vs the premium sv packages?
honestly the difference cant be noticed by the eye...they look exactly the same on the outside....i dunno if the reg package has the rear swaybar...but i kno that the sv package does...the only difference i kno between the supposed "sport" suspension is a different spring which is located inside of the strut inside the fluid which makes the ride a lil stiffer....but like i said...unnoticed by the eye cuz its inside of the strut....other than that all the same
Old 01-10-2011, 05:48 AM

That would be cool to find the actual spring rates, however from the info from Nissan I would say the springs are different! I know we love our Sport! Those 19's look great to me

Baddeye welcome! post up some pics of your maxima!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by baddeye
My first post here. Hi.

http://www.nissanusa.com/maxima/specifications.html

Doesn't give any specifics about spring rates though.
So Maybe the springs are dif. from the premium and the Sport?.....
Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 AM

So Maybe the springs are dif. from the premium and the Sport?.....
Yep; Sport springs are slightly stiffer.

Like you, I have an '09 with Premium package. Instead of the Nissan-recommended 33 psi in my tires, I carry 37 in front and 36 in the rear. For my style of driving, that seems to give me even tire wear. An added bonus of that higher psi is that the ride is firmer and more controlled around corners.

If you swap a few suspension parts, your ride will still not be quite as firm as your husband's, because his 19" tires have a slightly lower profile (40) than we have on our SV with Premium package (45 profile tires). A lower profile tire has a shorter sidewall, so has less flex room (and a firmer ride) than a larger profile tire.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM

To be honest, you would most likely feel more firm ride if you had lower profile tires or higher PSI than you would if you swapped out the springs. Yes the thicker stabilizer bar helps but when I bought my 2011 i test drove both the sport and the premium. I am pretty good friends with the GM of the dealership and he let me put it around a pretty sharp curve a few times in each. I could hardly notice (hardly, you can notice but just barely) any distinguishable differences between the two. I like the options in my SV-Premium with Tech that I lost when going to the Sport. If your really trying to get better handling sawp out for aftermarket springs or get lower pro tires... my 2 pennies
Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 AM

I noticed the upgraded RSB (Stillen or Racingline) made a positive difference for me in terms of handling. It is also a pretty affordable upgrade.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Welcome baddeye, nice car.

To: emckissack, I have aftermarket springs/Eibachs on my car too and a Stillen Rear Sway Bar (RSB) along with a Stillen Front Sway Bar (FSTB) and my handling is much sharper than when stock, I bought aftermarket tires and rims for my car but I stayed with the 18's because of near stock road feel.

I drove the SV Sport and the Premium (which I have now) and I liked the way the Premium rode when I compared the two, plus I figured that I could buy my own aftermarket parts to enhance what was missing and keep what I had in my package for my car.

Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your ride, you can see mine in the link in my Sig.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ob4Real
honestly the difference cant be noticed by the eye...they look exactly the same on the outside....i dunno if the reg package has the rear swaybar...but i kno that the sv package does...the only difference i kno between the supposed "sport" suspension is a different spring which is located inside of the strut inside the fluid which makes the ride a lil stiffer....but like i said...unnoticed by the eye cuz its inside of the strut....other than that all the same
Springs off the rear.... Left is off premium, right is off Sport.
Both cars "09" pur. 2 weeks apart. I wil let you know what it does when I get the front done... BTW the premium springs had blue paint dots on them, the Sport springs have yellow paint dots on them....
Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 AM

cool side by side pic!!! Thanks for posting, let us know what you end up doing and what the results are!!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 AM

looks like the sport springs on the premium could make a decent drop.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM

I don't think the Sport is any lower than a Premium. The Premium spring is probably just taller because it's softer. They're probably the same height when compressed under the same weight.
ahh i see. i didn't think about it like that.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM

I don't think the Sport is any lower than a Premium. The Premium spring is probably just taller because it's softer. They're probably the same height when compressed under the same weight.
Nice observation baddeye. As you suggest, the sport springs compress a little less under similar weights because they are slightly less-flexible, giving slightly firmer ride. Both types end up with same ground clearance.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 PM

I thought the Premium weighed more cause of the glass roof
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 AM

According to Nissan's website. The differences in weight are between the S (3540lbs) and SV(3565lbs). A 25lb difference isn't going to affect it much, and even then I'm sure that difference is only approximate.

I would guess that the difference in a glass roof or not wouldn't be more than 50lbs (if that), and again it's probably not enough to need to change the spring rate by any substantial amount in a street car. It's designed to carry 4 people after all.. that could be upwards of an additional 1000lbs.
All very true.

And the Sport has a metal roof with full lining where the Premium has glass and thin sunscreens.

And the Sport has 19" wheels and tires, which may be a tad heavier than the 18" wheels and tires.

And the Sport comes with a spoiler, while the spoiler is not standard on the Premium.

But, as baddeye suggested, all these things are rather insignificant when compared with the weight of four people, a trunk full of luggage and a full tank of gas.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 AM

whats the verdict
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 AM

I went with the prem over sport because of the damn 19" wheels and the Northeast potholes don't mix well. I loved the look of the 19" but the roads would eat up wheels and tires so now I need a RSB to get rid of some body roll.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 PM

u can actually check at a dealer and find out the differences hands on..there is difference is power as well.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by anjy834u
u can actually check at a dealer and find out the differences hands on..there is difference is power as well.
There's no power difference between the S, SV, SV Sport and SV Premium. All are rated at 290hp at the crank.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Sport springs are stiffer than non-Sport springs.
Sport springs won't lower a non-Sport Max.
It is very likely that you can swap Sport springs into a non-Sport Max with good results.
This