7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Keep or return ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Keep or return ?

here are the known issues that needs fixed.

-windshield washer reservoir has a leak somewhere between the tank and the nozzle.

-front suspension makes a low "knock" noise when making full lock u-turns, both driver and passenger side.

-rear suspension also makes low "thud" noise just as I start the car at just about the same time the doors auto lock.

they have agreed to fix the washer reservoir leak and replace two tires with brand new one as well as an alignments; but I have yet to tell them about the front suspension and rear suspension noise. I will also get a rental for the days my car is out of service.

should I have them fix these issues and keep the car; or should I just say forget it and return it ? I still have leverage because legally I can return it within the next few days.

the car does have that 120k factory warranty on the tranny and a 1 year warranty on the drivetrain. But as we know about our maxima's, it's not the drive train that breaks down, it's everything else.

I can also get a 100k mile AAA BUMPER TO BUMPER warranty for 1700 ZERO deductible; And AAA warranty is just as good as a nissan wrap bumper to bumper warranty since AAA is great at paying on time without any issues. I can take it to any nissan dealer.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM

If it was me I would return it, the problems just seem to keep adding up.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 PM

from all the problems i seen you had return it and make them give you a new one i would of returned it
Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM

ya I should.

but if I do, I'll still be at the same position because just about every 2009 to 2010 maxima has these suspension issues. It's just that some owners get them fixed within the warranty period and some just live with it.

and just about all the used 2009's have 40,000 miles and sell at 21k range.

I need to either get a new one or get one that still has the factory warranty.

Originally Posted by djdavebse
from all the problems i seen you had return it and make them give you a new one i would of returned it

Last edited by BBmaxi; 01-03-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
here are the known issues that needs fixed.

-windshield washer reservoir has a leak somewhere between the tank and the nozzle.

-front suspension makes a low "knock" noise when making full lock u-turns, both driver and passenger side.

-rear suspension also makes low "thud" noise just as I start the car at just about the same time the doors auto lock.
washer leak, that is random, happens to all cars

front suspension, thought there was a TSB or recall issued on certain models to fix the knock, have them run your vin

rear suspension thud is the oversize bushings on the rear sway bay, I thing a TSB was issued, the fix is just smaller bushing that don't rub, my car has it but only going over speed bumps during cold weather, so I know when its cold and that I need to slow down more approaching speed bumps
Old 01-04-2011, 02:52 AM

Should you return it? Only you can answer that question. Some of us love to have something to "*****" about and enjoy that process (e.g. my mother in-law, little sister, first wife...etc) while others want perfection.
The issues that you've reported don't sound too severe (except possibly the front suspension knock at full locks.)

I can't speak to the warranty as most issues I've had in my life occur post warranty anyway, but for many, the assurance that it is there is just what is required to ward off "the evil warranty mileage +1 demons!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Ive decided to return it, I don't mind making payments on a nice car but it will hurt if I also have to keep making repairs. If I'm going to make long term payments, I have to be assured with a solid backed warranty and a quality dependable car.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM

well it turns out it wasn't even a AAA backed warranty, just a 3rd party warranty that probably won't even pay up if ever something happens.

just a fyi, AAA never offered a warranty.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Well that stinks, but at least you are getting what you want! Now see what kind of deals they have for new max's!!!
or be patient and look around for the used maxima you really want, that is in good shape, and honest
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Ive decided to return it, I don't mind making payments on a nice car but it will hurt if I also have to keep making repairs. If I'm going to make long term payments, I have to be assured with a solid backed warranty and a quality dependable car.
Nothing better than having peace of mind regarding your 2nd biggest investment.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 AM

thanks guys, the new 2011's go for about 28 plus TTL, so about 31k out the door, that's about the lowest they go since cost is about 28k for dealer.

if only this has 33k miles I can take to dealer and get everything fixed.

the used price for 2009 maxima's might go up a bit once the rental inventory gets cleared out. there are lotsa rental's on the sell block that is keeping the price lower than it should be.

Originally Posted by 2010BlackMax
Well that stinks, but at least you are getting what you want! Now see what kind of deals they have for new max's!!!
or be patient and look around for the used maxima you really want, that is in good shape, and honest
Originally Posted by Ricko
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM

thanks guys, the new 2011's go for about 28 plus TTL, so about 31k out the door, that's about the lowest they go since cost is about 28k for dealer.

if only this has 33k miles I can take to dealer and get everything fixed.

the used price for 2009 maxima's might go up a bit once the rental inventory gets cleared out. there are lotsa rental's on the sell block that is keeping the price lower than it should be.
Not sure if you'll be able to get a Premium or Sport package for that low, but if you can more power to you.

From what I gather the issues reported above are TSB's on the Maxima and you have a chance of experiencing them with any car.

It is good you figured out the warranty was worthless, I'd definitely only get a car still under warranty through Nissan with a CPO guarantee to 100k. You can buy special extended warranty add-ons that cover everything in your car for a long time - most likely worth it considering the amount of stuff that CAN go wrong in the car.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ricko
Cars aren't investments...they're expenses. Investment implies that you'd potentially get a return on your money one day...never known anyone to buy a car and sell it 10 years later for a profit so...

You definitely want to make sure though that you aren't paying this much for a car and dealing with lots of issues, especially with it still so "young". If the issues are that concerning then take it back, but definitely review the TSB's to see what is a known issue that can be fixed for free and what is unique to your car. I had a few issues with my 2009 that I didn't like, but all of them have been addressed by either people on the forums as "how it should operate" and TSB's.

Then again if the 2009 has too many TSB's for you, maybe a newer year is in order.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 PM

ya that price was for base S.

the nissan CPO is only useful because it allows you to buy the NISSAN WRAP bumper to bumper. the CPO itself without the wrap coverage is useless because the maxima VQ and tranny is indestructible. they cover the indestructible parts for free and make u pay more to cover the parts that usually break down.

Originally Posted by danielevans83
Not sure if you'll be able to get a Premium or Sport package for that low, but if you can more power to you.

From what I gather the issues reported above are TSB's on the Maxima and you have a chance of experiencing them with any car.

It is good you figured out the warranty was worthless, I'd definitely only get a car still under warranty through Nissan with a CPO guarantee to 100k. You can buy special extended warranty add-ons that cover everything in your car for a long time - most likely worth it considering the amount of stuff that CAN go wrong in the car.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM

ok guys they said they will put everything in writing and get all the quirks fixed! there is a nissan dealer close buy as well if their contracted franchise mechanic firestone cannot fix the problems.

they will also throw me in a rental for a few days!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 PM

ya that price was for base S.

the nissan CPO is only useful because it allows you to buy the NISSAN WRAP bumper to bumper. the CPO itself without the wrap coverage is useless because the maxima VQ and tranny is indestructible. they cover the indestructible parts for free and make u pay more to cover the parts that usually break down.
I had considered the base model S myself, but after test driving a fully loaded SV I was sold. Everything they added in the sport tech package was what I wanted to do to the car after I got it, so it saved me the effort and probably money/difficulty as well.

That's what I've heard as well that what the CPO covers is worthless because those parts won't break. I got the Nissan Security Plus+ so I don't have to worry about anything else and I feel confident it will come in use.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 PM

I would love the SV if the price difference wasn't as much.

what I like about the S is that it doesn't feel all stripped down like a lot of other base model cars. The sunroof, the leather wrap steering wheel, the power seats, the leather wraped shift ****, 18" alloys, all give me a strong feel of the car, add that the powerful engine and I'm a happy camper.

I had a midsized based model car and it was horrible, manual seats, no sunroof, rubber thing steering wheel, cloth seats that felt cheap, doors would flex when closing.... Prior to that I had bigger, older model lexus, full sized 8 bangers and got too spoiled by them. I even had a 99 infiniti q45 and got too acustomed to the largeness!

I had considered the base model S myself, but after test driving a fully loaded SV I was sold. Everything they added in the sport tech package was what I wanted to do to the car after I got it, so it saved me the effort and probably money/difficulty as well.

That's what I've heard as well that what the CPO covers is worthless because those parts won't break. I got the Nissan Security Plus+ so I don't have to worry about anything else and I feel confident it will come in use.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 PM

Cars aren't investments...they're expenses. Investment implies that you'd potentially get a return on your money one day...never known anyone to buy a car and sell it 10 years later for a profit so...
Actually most of the independently wealthy view their daily cars as investments, it's a reliable source of transportation that gets you to your destination so you can make money, as an investment it's helping you make a return on your investment you call a career, without my car I would not be where I am
Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
Actually most of the independently wealthy view their daily cars as investments, it's a reliable source of transportation that gets you to your destination so you can make money, as an investment it's helping you make a return on your investment you call a career, without my car I would not be where I am
This is true, but I am in IT so I can work remotely and don't always need to use my car. I think most of the independently wealthy lease their daily cars so they don't run up miles on their nice ones. I know several people who will only buy/lease high end luxury vehicles because of how well they care for you (roadside assistance, loaners, quality of the car) which I can understand.

I was actually about to add to my earlier post, "unless you're investing in a fun luxurious way to drive" which is exactly what I did with this purchase. If I wanted to be practical I'd have bought a Nissan Leaf and picked up a box of tampons on the way home to go with it. I wanted a fun to drive and luxurious vehicle, and the Max definitely hits home. Has all the class of a luxury vehicle but the styling of a Z.

Last edited by Ghozt; 01-04-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 PM

I would love the SV if the price difference wasn't as much.

what I like about the S is that it doesn't feel all stripped down like a lot of other base model cars. The sunroof, the leather wrap steering wheel, the power seats, the leather wraped shift ****, 18" alloys, all give me a strong feel of the car, add that the powerful engine and I'm a happy camper.

I had a midsized based model car and it was horrible, manual seats, no sunroof, rubber thing steering wheel, cloth seats that felt cheap, doors would flex when closing.... Prior to that I had bigger, older model lexus, full sized 8 bangers and got too spoiled by them. I even had a 99 infiniti q45 and got too acustomed to the largeness!
Yeah I couldn't justify to myself buying one brand new, so I ended up getting an 09 SV with Sport/Tech at a nearby Nissan dealership for 26 + TTT. Had a check in hand for ~6 from the insurance company for my last ride that just got totaled, so dove right in. Interest rates kick *** right now too, got 3% through my credit union.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM

I would still return it. Sounds like a problem waiting to happen.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 AM

I think most of the independently wealthy lease their daily cars so they don't run up miles on their nice ones.
Not quite. They overwhelmingly buy, and they choose big, cheap, and American. The car is often one or two years old and kept until it becomes uneconomical to do so. Buick, before the recent product renaissance, was the archetype. A Camry or a Lexus ES is the modern equivalent.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by alexdi
Not quite. They overwhelmingly buy, and they choose big, cheap, and American. The car is often one or two years old and kept until it becomes uneconomical to do so. Buick, before the recent product renaissance, was the archetype. A Camry or a Lexus ES is the modern equivalent.
I work at a real estate office (I'm the IT Director) and all of the real estate agents lease their cars so they always have a new working vehicle. Even had one of them run down the numbers for me of how it's cheaper for them to own a leased vehicle than buy and repair.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 AM

it's also a nice tax write off, they are allowed to write off their vehicle when they are in sales. It's great for them because they also only pay taxes on partial amount of the car as well.

I work at a real estate office (I'm the IT Director) and all of the real estate agents lease their cars so they always have a new working vehicle. Even had one of them run down the numbers for me of how it's cheaper for them to own a leased vehicle than buy and repair.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Love my '09

BBMaxi, did you buy new or used? If new, I'd have taken it back already. If used, remember, you're always buying someone else's headache and should be prepared for things. You'll have to figure out your tolerance for headache and pain.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM

used, it's a 2009 S base with 40k miles.

most of the issues are TSB related, common problems like the suspension noise. I think once those r sorted out then possibly it may b good for years to come.

thing is, I'll be making payments on a car with no bumper to bumper warranty but it will be payments on a car that I really like.

so my gamble is this: do i take it and risk the chance? there is a bigger 80 percent chance the car runs fine for next two years (which is all I need, two years of trouble free driving) and there is a 20 percent chance it gives me problems.

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
BBMaxi, did you buy new or used? If new, I'd have taken it back already. If used, remember, you're always buying someone else's headache and should be prepared for things. You'll have to figure out your tolerance for headache and pain.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Love my '09

That is my issue. I'm not a mechanic, nor do I try, therefore when I buy used, I HAVE to have someone do repair work for me. That is why I usually buy new and keep "forever".

If you're really worried, spend a few $$$ now and have a trusted mechanic look it over for your second opinion.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 AM

used, it's a 2009 S base with 40k miles.

most of the issues are TSB related, common problems like the suspension noise. I think once those r sorted out then possibly it may b good for years to come.

thing is, I'll be making payments on a car with no bumper to bumper warranty but it will be payments on a car that I really like.

so my gamble is this: do i take it and risk the chance? there is a bigger 80 percent chance the car runs fine for next two years (which is all I need, two years of trouble free driving) and there is a 20 percent chance it gives me problems.
For as many problems as you've had with the car, and considering the mileage, it may be a good idea to take it back and ask for your money back. The dealership's #1 goal right now is to get you to keep that car however they can, so them helping you fix the issues isn't surprising.

There are plenty of used Maxima's for sale, and as we get into 2011 I'm sure the 2010's will start dropping in price. I think you'd be better off getting another car with lower mileage that is still under warranty - that way you can at least add the "WRAP" to have coverage for a long time.

I was actually about to jump on a 2009 Max Premium with 55k on the motor because it had such a great price, but I ended up going with a 2009 Sport Tech with 22k that was a little pricier but I am much happier with it under warranty and being newer.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:13 PM

Categorizing millionaires can be tricky. A neighbor who lives three or so miles away (Evander Hollifield, a professional boxer) used to be a multi-millionaire and rode in very impressive stretch limos. His huge property and many homes are probably worth over fifty million. But he lived lavishly, squandered his money, and is desperately trying to hold on to what is left. And he stll rides in stretch limos.

Twice in the last four or five years, I read articles in Forbes that said the car most often driven by millionaires is the Ford Taurus. There are three folks living near us that we know are millionaires. They are friends, and we know their huge homes and large properties are paid for and are worth several millions. One currently wants to buy one of our meadows. The first neighbor is currently driving a navy Taurus, the second drives a gray Mercury Grand Marquis, and the third a beige Lincoln Navigator. Talk about invisible cars.

All three of those neighbors tend to keep a low profile, as millionmaires tend to do. We could all learn from those type folks. I absolutely love to drive my Maxima, but my wife and I often arrive at neighborhood functions in her Ford Ranger. Discression tells us 'showing off money' is often an indication the money isn't really there.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 PM

ok guys so it's been returned.

I'm gonna b patient and wait for something in the 25,000 mileage range so that I have plenty of time to get things sorted out under the factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Personally, I think the 2009 in the 40k mile range has a true market value of $18k and I wasn't about to get into something that will instantaniously get me into a -6000 equity. California tax rates and trade in credit policy is horrible.

thanks for all the help guys, I'll get back into one in a few months.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Sorry it did not work out for you. That car just seemed like it had quite a few issues. I'm sure you will be back in one soon.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Categorizing millionaires can be tricky. A neighbor who lives three or so miles away (Evander Hollifield, a professional boxer) used to be a multi-millionaire and rode in very impressive stretch limos. His huge property and many homes are probably worth over fifty million. But he lived lavishly, squandered his money, and is desperately trying to hold on to what is left. And he stll rides in stretch limos.

Twice in the last four or five years, I read articles in Forbes that said the car most often driven by millionaires is the Ford Taurus. There are three folks living near us that we know are millionaires. They are friends, and we know their huge homes and large properties are paid for and are worth several millions. One currently wants to buy one of our meadows. The first neighbor is currently driving a navy Taurus, the second drives a gray Mercury Grand Marquis, and the third a beige Lincoln Navigator. Talk about invisible cars.

All three of those neighbors tend to keep a low profile, as millionmaires tend to do. We could all learn from those type folks. I absolutely love to drive my Maxima, but my wife and I often arrive at neighborhood functions in her Ford Ranger. Discression tells us 'showing off money' is often an indication the money isn't really there.
I live in Montgomery County MD, one of the richest in the country, and people here buy nice cars and have money too. I was excited to get my Maxima thinking I'd get tons of looks, like others on this forum have been excited to report, but my car does not stand out at all. Many people here have nice cars and lots of money. Regularly see BMW/Lexus/Mercedes and an occasional Porsche/Ferrari. Maxima? Average. I still love her though.

The only reason I wouldn't drive her is if I was going to a low income area. Then we'd be driving my girl's Civic.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM

I live in Montgomery County MD, one of the richest in the country, and people here buy nice cars and have money too. The only reason I wouldn't drive her is if I was going to a low income area. Then we'd be driving my girl's Civic.
You have hit on the key. As long as everyone around you is also fairly well-to-do, driving a luxury vehicle enables a person to 'blend in.' The north side of Atlanta is exactly that way. Nothing but high incomes and fine cars up there.

But those living where there is a mixture of incomes need to be a little more careful. I live south of Atlanta, in small Fayette County, which had the highest per-capita income in Georgia (and the homes of most Delta pilots and many professional athletes) until Forsyth County edged us out in the latest census. BUT we are tucked in between low income Clayton County and middle income Coweta County, and folks of all three counties shop and eat at some of the same places. We are in a situation where most millionaires do exactly like our richer neighbors; keep a low profile.

The great thing about the Maxima is that it performs magnificently and looks fantastic, but does not scream 'obscene wealth.' After all, as I always tell my admiring cousins, 'it's just a Nissan.'
Old 01-07-2011, 02:50 PM

where did you buy it from
Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 PM

You have hit on the key. As long as everyone around you is also fairly well-to-do, driving a luxury vehicle enables a person to 'blend in.' The north side of Atlanta is exactly that way. Nothing but high incomes and fine cars up there.

But those living where there is a mixture of incomes need to be a little more careful. I live south of Atlanta, in small Fayette County, which had the highest per-capita income in Georgia (and the homes of most Delta pilots and many professional athletes) until Forsyth County edged us out in the latest census. BUT we are tucked in between low income Clayton County and middle income Coweta County, and folks of all three counties shop and eat at some of the same places. We are in a situation where most millionaires do exactly like our richer neighbors; keep a low profile.

The great thing about the Maxima is that it performs magnificently and looks fantastic, but does not scream 'obscene wealth.' After all, as I always tell my admiring cousins, 'it's just a Nissan.'
I like that last part - well put. I didn't want the stigma attached to a luxury vehicle (or the attention) but the Nissan Maxima feels like a stealth luxury vehicle. Truth be told though, it makes several of my coworkers Lexus' look boring. Looks like I just motivated them to upgrade to a 2011...
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Categorizing millionaires can be tricky. A neighbor who lives three or so miles away (Evander Hollifield, a professional boxer) used to be a multi-millionaire and rode in very impressive stretch limos. His huge property and many homes are probably worth over fifty million. But he lived lavishly, squandered his money, and is desperately trying to hold on to what is left. And he still rides in stretch limos.
One requirement to be in a millionaire survey is to still be a millionaire. There's no wealth accrual if the money is dumped on depreciating assets. To someone who accumulates by shrewd investment and savings, an image car of any sort is anathema. Your more modest friends are, I think, more representative.

my wife and I often arrive at neighborhood functions in her Ford Ranger. Discression tells us 'showing off money' is often an indication the money isn't really there.
This bothered me when I first bought my Max. Coming from an old Malibu that wouldn't draw a second glance from anyone, the black, overtly stylish Maxima felt ostentatious relative to my age. The bother isn't so much whether wealth exists or not, but that if it does, I'd prefer if it wasn't apparent. The impression of it tends to change people's expectations. Rarely for the positive, unfortunately.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 PM

One requirement to be in a millionaire survey is to still be a millionaire. There's no wealth accrual if the money is dumped on depreciating assets. To someone who accumulates by shrewd investment and savings, an image car of any sort is anathema. Your more modest friends are, I think, more representative.
You forget to note that in some industries, especially Real Estate or other types of sales, the image your car brings you is extremely important to looking successful. Looking successful can mean the difference between gaining a client or not. While a realtor who is more modest is driving a Corolla and getting great mileage with low payments, people will look at the realtor driving a Benz and assume one of them is better and go with the more successful looking realtor.

If a realtor can "invest" in a Benz that gives him an overall image of success that helps him gain several clients that pull in double what he spent on the car, well you can see how it becomes an investment with ROI when put in their overall business plan. Most of the realtors I know lease for 3 years so they always have something fresh and relevant.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 PM

A car is a business expense for a realtor. I'm talking about people for whom success isn't contingent on the appearance of wealth, which comprises the overwhelming majority of millionaires. Also of note: those whose high incomes necessitate high consumption tend not to stay wealthy. Once you've sat in the lap of luxury, it's very hard to recalibrate your standard of living when you stop working or when business suffers.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm gonna b patient and wait for something in the 25,000 mileage range so that I have plenty of time to get things sorted out under the factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Personally, I think the 2009 in the 40k mile range has a true market value of $18k and I wasn't about to get into something that will instantaniously get me into a -6000 equity. California tax rates and trade in credit policy is horrible.

thanks for all the help guys, I'll get back into one in a few months.
FYI I purchased my 09 with 20k on the clock for $19k. you'll find one!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM

A car is a business expense for a realtor. I'm talking about people for whom success isn't contingent on the appearance of wealth, which comprises the overwhelming majority of millionaires. Also of note: those whose high incomes necessitate high consumption tend not to stay wealthy. Once you've sat in the lap of luxury, it's very hard to recalibrate your standard of living when you stop working or when business suffers.
True. And the 'meaning' of the car varies with the profession. There are two prominent CPAs in our town. One drives a regularly-replaced new Jaguar XJ (which fits her personality) and the other is well-known for tooling around town in his classic Cadillac from an olden era - I would guess the late 1950s. Knowing nothing for sure, my wife and I asume these CPAs must pay for their vehicles by fees and service charges to customers. We use the one who drives the Caddy he has had for over fifty years.

But it works both ways. We were looking for a realtor to sell my mother-in-law's home after she passed away, and a 'realtor' showed up at our house with a smoky, dinged-up old Neon running a space-saver spare in the rear. We knew that was not the realtor we wanted showing the home for us.

I would think a 7th gen Maxima in a conservative color would be acceptable as both a way to avoid blatant ostentationsness (such as a new Jaguar XJ) or the image of poor life choices (such as a smoky, dinged old Neon).