7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

List of batteries that are drop in replacements on the 7th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 PM

List of batteries that are drop in replacements on the 7th gen.

I'm replacing the battery on my 7th gen and am starting to look at what fits and what doesn't. From what I've seen, there aren't a lot of choices due to the reverse post setup. (Thanks Nissan! )

So, with that being said, if anybody knows of a battery that fits in the stock location without requiring a total rework of the wiring, post it here! I've got a question out to XS Power to see if they have suitable replacements and I'll update this thread as soon as I know.

Keep in mind that I'm a car audio junkie and do have a system in my Max so I haven't shopped standard replacement batteries.

Here's my list so far...

Odyssey 34R-PC1500 (requires height adapter from what I can tell)
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/battspecs.html

Optima RedTop 34R (requires height adapter, but it's included)
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/index.php

Interstate MTP-24F
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-MTP-24F(Automotive+Truck).aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk%7eSear chGroup%7cmtp%2f-24f%7c3%7c%2cNy%7eTrue%2cNtpc%7eDisabled%2cNs%7epr oduct+Type%7c101%7c1%7c&Title=Mega-Tron+Plus+24F+Automotive+Battery+++85+months+++800 +CCA

Sears DieHard Platinum P-5, Group Size 35
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850035000P

Last edited by ekrunch; 01-04-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added DieHard Platinum
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM

I would go with a diehard battery
Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Having a hard time finding the actual specs for the OEM batt, but Interstate makes a battery they say will fit with the following specs. Its not as powerful as the Odyssey, but looks almost an inch taller

Product ID: MTP-24F
Amps: 1000
Cranking Amps: 1000
Cold Cranking Amps: 800
Voltage: 12
Termination: A
Pro-rata Warranty: 85
Weight: 44.4
Width: 6.88
Length: 11
Height: 8.75
Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by ekrunch
I'm replacing the battery on my 7th gen and am starting to look at what fits and what doesn't. From what I've seen, there aren't a lot of choices due to the reverse post setup. (Thanks Nissan! )

So, with that being said, if anybody knows of a battery that fits in the stock location without requiring a total rework of the wiring, post it here! I've got a question out to XS Power to see if they have suitable replacements and I'll update this thread as soon as I know.

Keep in mind that I'm a car audio junkie and do have a system in my Max so I haven't shopped standard replacement batteries.

Here's my list so far...

Optima RedTop 34R (requires height adapter from what I can tell)
FYI - Height adapter comes with the Optima RedTop.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 AM

Update from XS Power. Their D2400 will fit, as it's a group 24F battery, but you will have to redo the cabling. That scratches them off my list of drop in replacements.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by jommbi
Having a hard time finding the actual specs for the OEM batt, but Interstate makes a battery they say will fit with the following specs. Its not as powerful as the Odyssey, but looks almost an inch taller

Product ID: MTP-24F
Amps: 1000
Cranking Amps: 1000
Cold Cranking Amps: 800
Voltage: 12
Termination: A
Pro-rata Warranty: 85
Weight: 44.4
Width: 6.88
Length: 11
Height: 8.75
Thanks, I'll add that to the list once we can verify the terminal setups. I'm really trying to stick to things that will serve as drop in replacements.

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
FYI - Height adapter comes with the Optima RedTop.
Thanks for verifying that. I'm pretty sure it comes with the Odyssey to. Seeing as I'm leaning toward the Odyssey, I'll let everyone know soon.

Last edited by ekrunch; 01-03-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
I would go with a diehard battery
I was actually looking for a Diehard Platinum that would fit but I can't seem to find one with the reverse polarity setup.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks, I'll add that to the list once we can verify the terminal setups. I'm really trying to stick to things that will serve as drop in replacements.
Full spec sheet for the MTP-24F. FWIW Optima and Interstate are the same company

http://www.interstatedealers.com/ibc...mmon/specs.pdf

Also seen this photo that shows the terminal in the proper location
Old 01-03-2011, 06:40 PM

I was actually looking for a Diehard Platinum that would fit but I can't seem to find one with the reverse polarity setup.
I just had mine replace a week or two ago with a Diehard Platinum. I'll pull the paperwork tomorrow and report on the PN.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by jommbi
Full spec sheet for the MTP-24F. FWIW Optima and Interstate are the same company

http://www.interstatedealers.com/ibc...mmon/specs.pdf

Also seen this photo that shows the terminal in the proper location
Thanks for the information. I actually was aware that Optima was bought by Interstate, although I'm sure a lot of people would argue that when that happened, Optima fell apart. That's a story for another thread though.

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I just had mine replace a week or two ago with a Diehard Platinum. I'll pull the paperwork tomorrow and report on the PN.
Sweet. Thank you! DHP is a great battery from what I hear.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 PM

I always thought the Optima Yellow Top was the sought after battery for high-end audio systems back in the day not the Red Top?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM

I always thought the Optima Yellow Top was the sought after battery for high-end audio systems back in the day not the Red Top?
I remember that "back in the day" we were told to run Red Top under the hood and Yellow Top as our second battery. Now they're saying just run Yellow Top everywhere and you're good. I actually started out looking for a Yellow Top but they don't make the 34R in Yellow so I didn't list it here. I'll probably just steer clear of Optima as I'm trying to move to something like an AGM. If someone finds a compatible yellow top I'll be more than happy to list it though.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM

According to my invoice the Sears PN for the Diehard Platinum they recently installed is 22850035 with a description of Btry, DHPLATINUM GRP 35. I looked at the battery to see if there was a different PN on the physical device and could not discern one.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
According to my invoice the Sears PN for the Diehard Platinum they recently installed is 22850035 with a description of Btry, DHPLATINUM GRP 35. I looked at the battery to see if there was a different PN on the physical device and could not discern one.
Thank you sir. Added to the list!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 AM

I remember that "back in the day" we were told to run Red Top under the hood and Yellow Top as our second battery. Now they're saying just run Yellow Top everywhere and you're good. I actually started out looking for a Yellow Top but they don't make the 34R in Yellow so I didn't list it here. I'll probably just steer clear of Optima as I'm trying to move to something like an AGM. If someone finds a compatible yellow top I'll be more than happy to list it though.
Yeah I was always told the Red Top was for cranking, and the Yellow Top was for the Amps, etc because it was a deep cycle battery and if you used it as the primary battery you would kill it prematurely. Interesting that they say run the Yellow Top "everywhere" I wonder if Interstate changed it...?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:45 AM

Have you looked at Stinger? Not sure what would work would have to call as their online catalog is horrible.

I'm thinking the SPV35 might work...?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDsQ8wIwBQ#

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM

New Battery

I just bought a brand new 2010 Maxima SV Premium/Navigation 3 weeks ago. A week after that I installed two 12" subs and a Rockford Fosgate Power T5002 amp (sux I can't change the radio in it). Anyways, a few days ago I was driving at night and had my music bumping pretty loud and I noticed the HID's we're dimming with the bass notes. I found that very odd because my other vehicle - a 2002 Chrysler 300M Special has factory HID's and they don't dim. I already added more grounds in the engine bay, so upon further research I suspect it is the puny battery from Nissan. So yesterday I went and purchased an Interstate MTP-24F battery.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...nths+++800+CCA

Once installed, I took my car out at night, turned on the defrost, wipers, and HID's and bumped my music very loud. No dimming headlights!

For those of you with aftermarket subs and amps, you should really consider changing the factory battery. The Interstate MTP-24F comes with an excellant warranty and it fits perfectly.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Yeah I was always told the Red Top was for cranking, and the Yellow Top was for the Amps, etc because it was a deep cycle battery and if you used it as the primary battery you would kill it prematurely. Interesting that they say run the Yellow Top "everywhere" I wonder if Interstate changed it...?
I'm not sure. I swore by the "Red under the hood, yellow in the back" through a few different vehicles and a lot of different audio systems. Through Competitions, General Listening, and good ol' fashioned Ground Pounding with an 1800w HiFonics Series VIII Colossus, it always worked. Now I'm not sure what to trust since I've heard so many negative things about Optima. Back in the day Optima was the battery to beat, nobody even came close. Now it seems that AGM style is the only way to go and that Optima no longer has the quality that they used to have. Considering the buyout from a larger company and them relocating manufacturing to Mexico, I could believe that. It's certainly a shame though.

I'm hearing nothing but good about XS Power so I might just suck it up and re-route some cables. Looks at the specs on the XS Power D2400 and tell me that's not a mean chunk of power! (Also check their FAQ for how they rate their products)

Have you looked at Stinger? Not sure what would work would have to call as their online catalog is horrible.

I'm thinking the SPV35 might work...?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDsQ8wIwBQ#

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/
I'm checking into it with my local Stinger dealer. And man you're not kidding... Stinger's site is absolutely horrible and they don't list any sort of BCI group mappings either. It's almost like they don't care about under the hood applications at all. (Which is probably true since their primary market is audio competitors)

Last edited by ekrunch; 01-05-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by platinum300
I just bought a brand new 2010 Maxima SV Premium/Navigation 3 weeks ago. A week after that I installed two 12" subs and a Rockford Fosgate Power T5002 amp (sux I can't change the radio in it). Anyways, a few days ago I was driving at night and had my music bumping pretty loud and I noticed the HID's we're dimming with the bass notes. I found that very odd because my other vehicle - a 2002 Chrysler 300M Special has factory HID's and they don't dim. I already added more grounds in the engine bay, so upon further research I suspect it is the puny battery from Nissan. So yesterday I went and purchased an Interstate MTP-24F battery.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-MTP-24F(Automotive+Truck).aspx?dsNavigation=Ns%7eprodu ct+Type%7c101%7c1%7c%2cN%7e21-4294493546-4294493538-2147384909&Title=Mega-Tron+Plus+24F+Automotive+Battery+++85+months+++800 +CCA

Once installed, I took my car out at night, turned on the defrost, wipers, and HID's and bumped my music very loud. No dimming headlights!

For those of you with aftermarket subs and amps, you should really consider changing the factory battery. The Interstate MTP-24F comes with an excellant warranty and it fits perfectly.
Good to know that battery works perfectly and fits with no issue. Thanks for the post. Everything seemed right according to the specs but you just never know until you drop one in the hole and try to hook it up!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM

For those looking for a budget priced battery to replace the OEM, Advanced auto has a drop in replacement for $104 with core. After using an online promo coupon, I paid $82 before tax.

Its a true drop in replacement Group 35 battery with 800 AMPS - 640 CCA 3 year free replacement 7 year prorated.

I just replaced my OEM battery with it and install took about 10 minutes.

shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_battery-group-size-35-640-cca-autocraft-gold_2130004-p
Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM

I chose sears die hard platinum battery. It has the best warranty and my bose sounds so much better. better bass and higher volume..etc

Last edited by omario; 09-27-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM

The Sears DieHard gold is in fact the best battery at $140, however, if you check Consumer Reports you would find better value for battaries at Walmart for $90 which ranked slightly below the Sears Model

The EverStart MAXX-35N (North) is part of the car battery test program at Consumer Reports. In our lab tests, car battery models like the MAXX-35N (North) are rated on multiple criteria, such as those listed below.

Life:Life test measures how a battery endures repeated charge-and-discharge cycles at hot-climate engine-compartment temperatures. The more cycles endured while maintaining a higher voltage, the higher the score.
Reserve capacity:Reserve capacity estimates how long batteries can run a car if the charging system fails.
CCA:CCA performance reflects voltage at our load of half the average claimed CCA for each group size after cranking for 15 seconds at 0º F. We charged batteries at the 14.5 volts that vehicles typically supply, rather than the higher voltage that manufacturers use. Batteries charged at the lower voltage met BCI voltage standards for a fully charged battery.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 AM

All you need to do it go to Advance and get their gold series battery they have for about $112. All these other batteries you are just paying for the name..
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Sears diehard platinum is sealed and never needs serviced. Same goes for yellow/redtops. Not sure about the rest. one of the problems with the OEM battery is it keeps needing service, i.e water added.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 PM

The advanced auto gold battery I posted about was $88 bucks and is maintenance free.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 PM

i bet you could get a pack of AA batteries run in series and it'd be more reliable than the OEM battery
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM

I've always had luck with Interstate and Die Hard batteries in my cars/suv's.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:09 AM

Bumping an old thread here but I tried searching and this was the closest thread related to my question.

I've been looking on AAP's website and it only comes up with group size 35 for the AutoCraft Gold if I enter in vehicle info. But I know the 24F is a direct replacement as well and it has 700 CCA compared to 640 CCA of the 35. While searching further I came across group size 124R, which has 700 CCA as well but for $21 less than the 24F. The height and length of the 124R are less than the 24F and the width of the 124R is only 1/8" bigger than the 24F. I wanna assume the 124R will fit since it is smaller but I have not seen anyone mention it on the forums. Any thoughts?

Last edited by LudaTej; 12-05-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by LudaTej
Bumping an old thread here but I tried searching and this was the closest thread related to my question.

I've been looking on AAP's website and it only comes up with group size 35 for the AutoCraft Gold if I enter in vehicle info. But I know the 24F is a direct replacement as well and it has 700 CCA compared to 640 CCA of the 35. While searching further I came across group size 124R, which has 700 CCA as well but for $21 less than the 24F. The height and length of the 124R are less than the 24F and the width of the 124R is only 1/8" bigger than the 24F. I wanna assume the 124R will fit since it is smaller but I have not seen anyone mention it on the forums. Any thoughts?

Batteries are pretty much standardized. Any battery advertised as size Group 35 will fit. They are not all the same CCA though so you need to search around for one with the CCA rating you want.

I went with the RedTop 35 and it works great...
Old 12-05-2014, 04:45 PM

Kirkland is well regarded here in Canada
Old 12-05-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by RCM78
Batteries are pretty much standardized. Any battery advertised as size Group 35 will fit. They are not all the same CCA though so you need to search around for one with the CCA rating you want.

I went with the RedTop 35 and it works great...
I want to get a battery with at least 700 CCA since that is what Nissan is replacing the old 550 CCA ones with. The 24F and 124R both meet this CCA rating. I'm just wondering if I can save $20 and go with the 124R instead of the 24F.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Kirkland is well regarded here in Canada
I was told that Costco no longer sells the Kirkland auto battery... Is that not true?.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Max2013

I was told that Costco no longer sells the Kirkland auto battery... Is that not true?.
Kirkland is Costco brand, they have them In Atlanta.....
Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Max2013
Costco used to source batteries from Interstate and re-brand them as their Kirkland Signature label... they now have batteries that are labeled as Interstate on the shelves here. Many think it is likely the same battery, but now Interstate has their label on it. I bought one from another vehicle a few weeks back. Great battery and a good warranty through Costco. My plan when the time comes for the Maxima is to get a Group 24F 700 CCA battery from Costco. Cost should be around $85.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:44 AM

Here in Canada I bought a battery for the gen 5 last year, Kirkland brand and in stock.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by kruegs
Costco used to source batteries from Interstate and re-brand them as their Kirkland Signature label... they now have batteries that are labeled as Interstate on the shelves here. Many think it is likely the same battery, but now Interstate has their label on it. I bought one from another vehicle a few weeks back. Great battery and a good warranty through Costco. My plan when the time comes for the Maxima is to get a Group 24F 700 CCA battery from Costco. Cost should be around $85.
Thanks for the clarification. Does Costco install the battery or is it a carry it out the door deal? Also, if you do have to install it yourself, are there any things you have to reset after disconnecting/reconnecting... (Like auto up/down windows, sunroof, displays, etc)?
Old 12-07-2014, 01:30 PM

Costco will not install the battery... or at least I do not think they will. I did my last one in their parking lot myself and then carried the bad one in for the core charge refund. My guess is that you will need to re-set your auto up/down windows, and radio stations etc but that should be about it.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:26 AM

Here's my list so far...

Optima RedTop 34R (requires height adapter, but it's included)

Interstate MTP-24F
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-MTP-24F(Automotive+Truck).aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk%7eSear chGroup%7cmtp%2f-24f%7c3%7c%2cNy%7eTrue%2cNtpc%7eDisabled%2cNs%7epr oduct+Type%7c101%7c1%7c&Title=Mega-Tron+Plus+24F+Automotive+Battery+++85+months+++800 +CCA

Sears DieHard Platinum P-5, Group Size 35
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850035000P
Speaking from my personal experience I'd go with the red top. I've had this battery for about 5 years now & I've had no problem with it. It's never died or anything. I had it in my 04 Max & swapped it in my 11 once I added my subs etc. Still running strong.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by kruegs
Costco will not install the battery... or at least I do not think they will. I did my last one in their parking lot myself and then carried the bad one in for the core charge refund. My guess is that you will need to re-set your auto up/down windows, and radio stations etc but that should be about it.
You are correct, Costco will not install the battery
Old 12-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Optima Red Top for me!!