7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2 TSBs for CVT trannsmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 PM

2 TSBs for CVT trannsmission

I posted this in the cvt vs manual thread but I feel this is too important an issue to get buried in that thread...I know if we can improve the low end power,we all want that.but the only certain cars get it is BS!!!
there is the original tsb NTB09-138 for the booming and vibration (for cars that qualify)
the new one I found is NTB09-052 is also a TCM re-programming
I don't know how the second will affect performance as nobody has yet done this tsb???if anybody in the next few days and beyond gets it applied,give us a good or bad how it affected the cars performance... thanks

Last edited by goog67; 10-11-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 PM

I have an '09 Maxima and NTB09-138 sounds exactly like whats happening to me, although I'm not sure what Transmission is in “lock-up” means. I definitely get vibration at those speeds with relatively low RPM.

Do I just contact my dealer and have him look up the TSB and reprogram?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM

It would help if you would post the location of the
service Bulletin
Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 PM

here's the location if you wanna pay the $11 per month to see the specific info be my guest,I wasn't so I just got the #
https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS...34217728&MA=15
Old 10-11-2010, 07:15 PM

since my seemingly always breaking maxima has a broken driver's seat that I'm taking it in for, I'll have them do some TSBs. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by k757
since my seemingly always breaking maxima has a broken driver's seat that I'm taking it in for, I'll have them do some TSBs. Thanks for the info!
Always breaking Maxima? You to? PM me your problems haha...

Also let us know what they say when you take it in.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Always breaking Maxima? You to? PM me your problems haha...

Also let us know what they say when you take it in.
I'll just say this.... when I call to make an appt, I just say "Hi, it's Keith" and he knows. NOTE: the car has just under 28k miles

I am considering other vehicles.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 AM

Doesn't the TSB# NTB09-052 NTB09-138 stand for, "Nissan Tech Bulletin 2009"? and the last digitsa to identify which exactly it is?Now wouldnt this only apply to 2009 models only then?Just a random early morning thought before coffee/Redbull consumption.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM

UPDATE:tsb NTB09-052 is for the technicians not our cars,NTB09-138 still applies and is for 2009-10 models and will be applied as long as your TCM # matches.called today and asked about tsb and got the no recall run around so I guess a trip with printed tsb is next.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by goog67
UPDATE:tsb NTB09-052 is for the technicians not our cars,NTB09-138 still applies and is for 2009-10 models and will be applied as long as your TCM # matches.called today and asked about tsb and got the no recall run around so I guess a trip with printed tsb is next.
how do you find your TCM #?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:28 PM

So I got the TCM reprogramming done (Bulletin ECU P/N 31036-9N00E) today. I was able to easily feel a difference with off the line and general quickness. It seems that the idle RPM is a few hundred higher as well. I don't know what that will mean at the track (if anything) but seat-of-the-pants gauge tells me it's faster

Here is what I reported:
getting an intermittent vibration (note: which was true) shake through vehicle especially at higher speeds. comes and goes as driving even at same speed. vibration would start and stop

Here is their write-up:
27699 verified vibration at lock-up and light acceleration. verified TSB exists and is applicable. Performed TCM Reprogramming procedure as outlined in Bulletin ECU P/N 31036-9N00E. Cleared DTCS Set during reprogramming procedure. Repair complete. Customer notified of slight fuel economy loss

Big THANKS to goog67 for posting the info!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM

I'll just say this.... when I call to make an appt, I just say "Hi, it's Keith" and he knows. NOTE: the car has just under 28k miles

I am considering other vehicles.
Same here for me... I am there all the time; I have stopped showing up less and less now that I have my STi on order though haha...
Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Blittz
I have an '09 Maxima and NTB09-138 sounds exactly like whats happening to me, although I'm not sure what Transmission is in “lock-up” means. I definitely get vibration at those speeds with relatively low RPM.

Do I just contact my dealer and have him look up the TSB and reprogram?
I have been getting what appears to me to be a run-around on the issue. Then today was told there IS NO cutoff on the VIN numbers if the car has the symptoms or symptom described. I am a 100 miles from the dealer so I verified the shuddering symptom under light throttle over the phone and made an appointment to have it done. They allow an hour and a half for the reflash...seems like about an hour and 10 minutes too long... but it is getting done next week. If the shudder goes away it has been worth it to me so no complaints.

I think every 2009 would be covered regardless and probably some 2010 as well. I really believe that the vibration that was attributed to the anti lock self-check is in fact what is being fixed and every single one of these 2009 and some 2010 have that issue. I found a description of the self-check last night and that takes place before the car is moving according to that source.. which is not cited here because I can't recall where it was found. Old age. It has always been tough for me to swallow that such a noticeable vibration was a "feature" but I may be wrong as I often have been.
edit: found more info and wrong again!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM

hmmm interesting ive never takin my car to dealer and well this cvt problem...i actually thought it was normal cause my altima kinda did the same thing
Old 10-14-2010, 03:40 PM

So I got the TCM reprogramming done (Bulletin ECU P/N 31036-9N00E) today. I was able to easily feel a difference with off the line and general quickness. It seems that the idle RPM is a few hundred higher as well. I don't know what that will mean at the track (if anything) but seat-of-the-pants gauge tells me it's faster

Here is what I reported:
getting an intermittent vibration (note: which was true) shake through vehicle especially at higher speeds. comes and goes as driving even at same speed. vibration would start and stop

Here is their write-up:
27699 verified vibration at lock-up and light acceleration. verified TSB exists and is applicable. Performed TCM Reprogramming procedure as outlined in Bulletin ECU P/N 31036-9N00E. Cleared DTCS Set during reprogramming procedure. Repair complete. Customer notified of slight fuel economy loss

how do i know if i should take mine to get the TCM reprogramming ?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:59 PM

I attempted to get the NTB09-138 TSB done while getting my 1st oil change and was told that my car already has the lastest software. I believe my car was built in May or June.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Kmoney...according to the tsb the way it tells is when they have the car on consult3 it will list the TCM part#.I don't know if the vin tells them. so,just print out TSB and go to your dealership and tell them your experiencing the symptoms and to apply the TSB.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 PM

thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 PM

I got a 2010 and the dealer said my TCM code does not match although I'm experiencing all the stuff mentioned in the tsb. It doesnt really bother me, but I would love to make the car run smoother. I will try another service department.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:49 PM

Sorry to hear you have such a lemon but I haven't experienced any of these problems people here have been talking about (rocking seats, vibration, other issues), maybe it has something to do with the time our cars were made.

I bought my 09 when they first hit the showroom floor and haven't had anything but routine oil changes and tire rotations/1 brake job (I drive fast and brake hard) but other than that, nada.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Sorry to hear you have such a lemon but I haven't experienced any of these problems people here have been talking about (rocking seats, vibration, other issues), maybe it has something to do with the time our cars were made.

I bought my 09 when they first hit the showroom floor and haven't had anything but routine oil changes and tire rotations/1 brake job (I drive fast and brake hard) but other than that, nada.
you forgot squeaking suspension that keeps coming back. But it's all good. my max is about to be outta my life... good riddance.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 PM

you forgot squeaking suspension that keeps coming back. But it's all good. my max is about to be outta my life... good riddance.
Any idea what you are replacing it with yet?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 PM

Any idea what you are replacing it with yet?
Yes, I had a very successful test drive tonight and likely talking deal tomorrow ............
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Good info, thanks for posting!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 PM

Anyone have luck getting this performed when your VIN isnt classified to have it done?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Yes, I had a very successful test drive tonight and likely talking deal tomorrow ............
Nice! What did you test drive?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Nice! What did you test drive?
drove a few things, but got it down to a Rav4 Limited/Sport V6. yes, i'm going small peppy AWD SUV
Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 AM

Here is what I reported:

Here is their write-up:

I'm assuming you're talking about the NTB09-138 TSB?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by goog67
here's the location if you wanna pay the $11 per month to see the specific info be my guest,I wasn't so I just got the #
https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS...34217728&MA=15

I also like nissanhelp.com as a member you can download 2 tsb per day or if you become a donating member it is unlimited.

Zukabaker
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM

I have a 2009 Maxima SV and got my tcm flashed last week. I have noticed a nice improvement in throttle response, but nothing huge. Im not complaining tho, any improvements are great on this awesome car.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Taking mine in tomorrow to have these done (if they apply)...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mkstimulus
I have a 2009 Maxima SV and got my tcm flashed last week. I have noticed a nice improvement in throttle response, but nothing huge. Im not complaining tho, any improvements are great on this awesome car.
What do you say at the dealership to get this done? Do you just mention that you're experiencing issues addressed in the TSB (and reference the TSB number)?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 PM

I had 09-138 performed today. I asked them to check to see if I was eligible and I was. The TSB printout said it simply makes the TC lockup kick out quicker when under a load at speed, and that sounded like a good thing to me. I noticed a pretty big difference after the software flash and it is definitely worth the trip to the dealership. A slight loss a fuel mileage is expected now, but it is well worth it IMO.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here is what I reported:

Here is their write-up:
I am interested to know what "at lock up" means. I assume it refers to a vibration when shifting into Park. Would appreciate some direction on that.

I get some vibration when moving from Park to Reverse. Goes away shortly after engagement.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by JeffreyM
I am interested to know what "at lock up" means. I assume it refers to a vibration when shifting into Park. Would appreciate some direction on that.

I get some vibration when moving from Park to Reverse. Goes away shortly after engagement.
Torque converter lockup. I was having the exact same vibration and it hasn't done it yet since I had the TCM flash.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:21 PM

NSB did not apply...

I found and printed out the NSB (..138) and was very excited at the prospect that this might improve the "bumpy" feeling at 30 mph and 1200 rpm. I thought I'd get up early today, figuring it'd be a slow day at the Dealership (day after Thanksgiving). I was right -- it was empty.

They admited they'd done a few of these. They also admitted knowing about that "sweet spot" of 30 mph/1200 rpm (that's an oxymoron...). They didn't think there'd be a connection between this reprogramming and that problem. But the service manager cheerfully agreed to give it a ago at no charge -- but he reminded me of something that is spelled out in the NSB -- this only applies to certain part numbers (not VIN numbers, so no way for us to check first). When he came out after an hour, I was hopeful -- figuring the programming was done. Instead, I was informed that my part number did not match up to the NSB, and as a result, it would simply reject the attempt at reprogramming.

What a shame -- I still think that Nissan should offer an update that tweaks the rpm up just a couple hundred and give us a smoother in-city ride (yeah, sadly, most of my to-work drive is 30-35 mph). I think that they can also make it so moderate acceleration from a stop or slow speeds doesn't seem so anemic (short of stomping on the gas of course). It just seems to me that the HP and drivetrain should be a lot perkier in that range (at least as good as my 2003 G35 sedan, with less HP). This shouldn't be blamed, I don't think, on the CVT -- but on the programming that governs it. Comments?

Needless to say I was very disappointed this morning. And then to make matters worse, I chose to go into work. Ugh. But that one's on me, haha.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by trix_05
What do you say at the dealership to get this done? Do you just mention that you're experiencing issues addressed in the TSB (and reference the TSB number)?
I told them I was feeling a vibration with slow acceleration starting around 20mph, then I referenced the TSB NTB09-138 and gave them this print out:

Classification: Reference: Date: AT09-014 NTB09-138 December 18, 2009
2009 – 2010 MAXIMA; BOOMING NOISE OR VIBRATION
APPLIED VEHICLE:2009 - 2010 Maxima (A35)

IF YOU CONFIRM:
There is a booming noise and/or vibration when all of the following conditions are present:
• Speed between 20 and 45 mph
and
• Transmission is in “lock-up”
and
• Engine RPM between 1200 and 1500
and
• Light acceleration
ACTIONS:
Important: Before performing the reprogramming procedure in this bulletin, make sure the customer has been informed of the Customer Information on the next page.
1. Refer to Step 2 in the Service Procedure to confirm this bulletin applies to the vehicle you are working on.
2. If this bulletin applies, reprogram the TCM.
CLAIMS INFORMATION
Submit a Primary Failed Part (PP) line claim using the following claims coding:
DESCRIPTION
PFP
OP CODE
SYM
DIA
FRT
Reprogram TCM (TCM Initialization included)
(1)
JE99AA
HD
(2)
(1) Reference the Repair Order and use the current TCM P/N written down in Step 2 of the Service Procedure as the PFP.
(2) Reference the current Nissan Warranty Flat Rate Manual and use the indicated FRT.
IMPORTANT: The purpose of ACTIONS (above) is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the entire Service Procedure as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing this repair.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Took mine in to try and get this done, along with a service. They told me it didn't apply to my car and they wouldn't do it, it puts liability on them if it eff's something up. Picked up the car, took them 45 minutes to bring it up. I didn't think anything of it, the porter was a little on the "special" side. Drove home 5 miles parked it in the garage.

One week later, decide to take the Max to work, and CLICK! No start! I bet they tried to do it and never hooked up the battery charger like they were told to in the TSB. I have no documentation to show that they tried to do it. I bet they jump started my car, and that's why it took so long to bring it up.

So, now I'm in a quandry. Should I force them to tow it in or just take it to another dealer to have it checked out. Is there any way to check if they tried to perform the TSB at another dealer? I really hope my TCM isn't fried!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I got mine applied last week and have been happy with the results. What surprised me was that it eliminated the all the vibration I experienced in the cabin at around 1200rpm (doesn't go that low anymore).
Old 12-18-2010, 08:57 AM

I just returned from my car dealer and had two issues addressed, 1) the variable idling (<500-600> rpm) and roughness as well as 2) the TSB reprogramming for the transmission due to slight vibration/humming with certain conditions. Overall the car runs much much smoother and is quite a bit more responsive. For the idling the fix was to reset the idle computer/setting and relearn it back to factory spec. Regarding the transmission I would recommend everyone to have it done as it is definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: 2 TSBs for CVT trannsmission