7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

RE-Badging Maxima (but different!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM

RE-Badging Maxima (but different!)

Like many on this site, I really grew to hate the MAXIMA letters on the trunk lid. I'm a graphic designer by profession, so I'm admittedly very picky about things like this. I didn't like their font choice (Optima), the size (too large) or the placement. This is especially true if you have the rear spoiler, as it makes the MAXIMA name seem cramped in the space -- and not quite level.

After a great deal of research, I finally found some letters online that I liked, just .75" tall, and a decent bold sans-serif font. From the side, they are slightly eliptical in section -- tapered at the top and bottom, thickest halfway up.

I spent a few days pondering on the best place to put them. One place would be right where the original badge was. I think that with the smaller letters and better font, it would look all right. I know the asymmetrical look of this placement bothered many, and it sort of did me as well. I didn't really feel like I wanted to throw a "3.5L" up on the right to balance it out...

Finally I decided to try BELOW the license plate, on the "lip" of the trunk lid. INFINITI has put their name in a similar location (although license plate was typically down in the bumper), and I've seen Nissan do similar treatment on some vehicles.

I think this looks pretty good -- I considered removing the NISSAN circular badge and putting the new MAXIMA type up there (and even tried it out in Photoshop), but figured I'd try this first. I think the BEST solution would be if Nissan put the MAXIMA name as smaller, "embossed" type, molded into the chrome trim that extends over the license plate. They do this on some INFINITI models, and I think it looks good.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Here's how it would have looked, had I removed the round NISSAN badge and put the type up there between spoiler and chrome trim (done in Photoshop). Looks nice like this too, I think.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:35 PM

looks good i like the creativity, also something i would try if i were you would be to paint the white portion of your tails red.. i have never seen it done on the 7th gens and i know it would look great especially on a white car.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:15 AM

Very interesting. I had thoughts of replacing my 'MAXIMA' letters with smaller letters of a plainer font, but realized there is no way to make any lettering look exactly level in the area where the OEM letters are. I hadn't considered moving them to a totally different area.

I like both the place you currently have them, and also the option of replacing the Nissan hamburger with them. Chrome on white does not give a sharp contrast in colors, so you were smart to leave space between the letters, making them more legible.

The elliptical shape of the letters as seen from the side is also a neat detail that will keep the top and bottom edges from sticking out and looking like 'add-ons.' That gives a finished look.

Very nice work.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 AM

I think it looks better with the MAXIMA debadged and just the Hamburger in the middle
Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 AM

Nissan Lettering SMALLER? Ain't going to happen

Originally Posted by decarlnick
I think the BEST solution would be if Nissan put the MAXIMA name as smaller, "embossed" type, molded into the chrome trim that extends over the license plate. They do this on some INFINITI models, and I think it looks good.
Don't count on any manufacturer to make their lettering or logos any smaller. The first thing I noticed when I leased my '07 Altima was how HUGE the Nissan logo was - but it pales in comparison to the ones on the Titan grille.

The Infiniti SUV/X-Over cars actually have INIFINITY on those chrome and IMO - they are just as big as the other lettering - and also overkill along with the logo. But I do see where you're going.

BTW - I like the one with the MAXIMA up top without the LOGO. Though I'd rather de-badge it if you were that ****
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 AM

While having Maxima on the chrome deck lid like you're talking about would show attention to detail from the manufacturer, it would drive people like me insane that want ANYTHING with badging completely removed from their car. I'm even making door sill pieces out of aluminum and going to see what grinding down the Nissanburger on the steering wheel will look like. Maxima on the deck lid would cause me to have an OCD breakdown.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 AM

I personally like the Maxima at the top - looks good. I wanted the chrome on the deck lid imprinted with Maxima, but of course that is not available. So, here's what I did with my debadge - a key chain, an emblem from EBay, and a little work on my part.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...20Trunk%20Lid/
Old 10-04-2010, 08:24 AM

^thats sick and innovative

to the OP:
the top looks good, i dont like it positioned at the bottom
Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
^thats sick and innovative

to the OP:
the top looks good, i dont like it positioned at the bottom
Yeah i'd agree. I like it better at the top too.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Just curious where you found the letters online. This looks like a pretty easy mode that I would consider trying..

I know there are other debadging threads out there but after removing the old letters how much buffing, if any, is required to make the old lettering totally disappear?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM

letter source

This is where I got the letters:
http://www.chromecarletters.com/3d_c...lettering.html

I used .75" basic style small. Be advised that the double-stick backing is very effective. Once these letters are on the car, you cannot take off and re-position (although you can remove them entirely, see below).

If I was starting with the car from scratch, there's a good chance I'd have gone with no NISSAN "hamburger" and put the MAXIMA text up there. I was trying to keep it as stock as possible in appearance, but do a better job. NISSAN wouldn't leave the hamburger off, so it's there. If my solution bothers me over time, I might try the other way.

Getting the Maxima letters (or "hamburger") off is not difficult and is covered in other "De-badging" threads. I'm sure these new chrome letters would remove exactly the same way.