7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

What other cars did you consider b4 buying your Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 AM

What other cars did you consider b4 buying your Maxima?

There are a few threads comparing the 7th gen to other cars and I was curious to know what other cars you guys shopped for and what made you choose the Maxima. Other cars I looked at, all brand new...

Acura TL FWD: Styling is iffy, old 5 speed transmission.

Buick LaCrosse FWD: Read of people having electrical problems, a little underpowered. Don't really trust Buick's reliablity just yet.

Genesis sedan v6: Interior kind of bland. Exterior looks kinda dated.

VW CC: $40k and still a 4 cylinder

ES350: Looks too much like a Camry, heard it's boring to drive.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 PM

bmw 325i
nissan 350z
lexus is250/350
Old 09-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Dodge Charger R/T
Nissan Altima
Infinit g37S Journey Coupe
Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Infiniti M56X,but not for the $71k they wanted for it.

Buick Lacrosse CSL loaded. APR was still 4.9 and they wouldnt budge under $40k at the time.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:32 PM

1) another Altima 3.5

2) Accord V6 with Navi-BLAH

3) G37 Sedan-too small inside and too many on the road

4) Genesis-Too big for my needs right now and a lot of money for a Hyundai (but that 4.6 is fast...)
Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 PM

I had a 2001 CL type-S that I sold and leased a 2010 Acura TSX 4 cylinder that my girl took from me 4 months after leasing and dumped her 2005 TL on me that I traded in for The Maxima..

I work for Infiniti so I get VPP pricing so I was looking at the G37X with premium PKG and Navigation.. But it was $50 more a month then the Maxima and insurance was $20 more so I did not think the $1000 / year was really worth it .. Plus i really love the AC seats (which the G did not have) and the heated steering wheel and the panoramic roof.. And I want to start a family so I think the size of the Maxima is better suited to start a family..
Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 PM

I bought last year, so I have a '09
  • '09 Acura TL
  • '06 Acura TL-S, but they wouldn't budge on the $30k price and it needed 3 new wheels from curb rash. oh well
  • certified used '06 Acura RL..... dismissed Acura due to no dealer near me
  • certified used BMW 530xi, amazing car but horror stories scared me away

If i had waited for the '10 Subaru Legacy V6 to come out, I would probably be in one now.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Acura TL - Too small.
Infiniti G37X - Too small.
Buick Lacrosse CSX - Too hard to get out of the way the dash wrapped around.
BMW 3-Series - Too small.

Being 6' 7" I am really limited to what I can buy. Luckily the Maxima had more than enough legroom because I felt cramped in the others.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM

2003 E39 M5
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM

BMW 135i
BMW 328i
Mustang GT
Infiniti G37
Nissan 370Z
Pontiac G8

All current models. I test-drove a Fusion and a Camaro SS, but wasn't seriously considering them. The Mustang had a crap interior, I didn't care for the G37's size, styling, or transmission, and the BMW dealership wasn't willing to work on price. Wonderful cars, but the euphoria of the TT wasn't worth $12K to me. The G8 was simply too big, and very hard to find new. The 370Z was like a louder and rougher 135i, except with less visibility. Very much a toy. You can't carve corners in traffic. This was the downfall of the 328i, though in the opposite direction; very refined, sharp handling, and utterly gutless. No fun on the highway.

The Maxima was ultimately the best value. And it has excellent seats.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 AM

I swore I wouldnt buy another Maxima after having my '94 and '03 maxima. Love the cars but the dealers were A$$ holes. So before I looked at the maxima I looked at

-2008 Lexus GS350 AWD fully loaded- CPO with less then 20k Mile
-BMW 328 XI Coupe NEW - Had everything I wanted Nav, Premium Package, Sport package, but only had Manual seats, Felt the car was under powered with auto trans ( 230hp compared to my '03 maxima 255hp)
-BMW 335xi - Had everything i wanted but the guy didnt want to come down on the price and they had no more manuels.

I was so stuck on getting a bimmer that I actually leased a '08 Subaru Impreza so I could learn to drive a stick before I got my BMW

Well I was helping my cousin get out her chevy into a new nissan and while I was there I figured I will just test drive the MAX. Fell in love with it so I Got one Jan 2nd 2009. I got a great Deal on it.

So the the Lease is up on the Subaru in March 2011 so hopefully I could just Lease a 328xi coupe. 6speed cause the automatic is no fun for that car. But I still will keep my max.

Last edited by BMWHIGH1; 09-08-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Acura
Infiniti G35
Cadillac CTS
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM

Acura TL
Acura TSX
Infinity G37xS
Not many others, just looks wise the max was by far the best. The TL was soooo nice on the inside, but soooo ugly outside!!! Drove great though
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Honda Accord coupe v6
Acura TSX
Used BMW 328s
Mustang GT
Old 09-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Lexus IS-F
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jboss10
Lexus IS-F
I would take an IS-F over the maxima any day
Old 09-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Talking Maxima - Nissan - First choice

Originally Posted by Antny74
I would take a GT-R any day!

Nothing came close to my consideration over a Maxima honestly.
  1. Altima - if all else fails I go back to it - but don't like the seat comfort
  2. Sonata - wife and I checked it out for her, sat in the back - rear window clearance was horrible.
  3. Mazda6 and Fusion = FORD
  4. Maxima - I wanted to stay with a CVT - gotten spoiled with the Altima except I wanted a keeper and a comfortable ride - non sport tuned suspension (Hence the Premium over the Sports Package)
By the way, this being the 3 full day I've had the car - I've been getting a lot of compliments of how "HOT" our car looks! I sure won't get that with the other cars I "considered" since all other cars look like them!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 AM

The GT-R is one of the few cars I would take over my Maxima anyday, Nissan build quality and attention to detail + supercar perfromance. Does it get any better?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 AM

InfinitiG37 sport- little room
Nissan 370z nismo - not available at the dealer
Old 09-09-2010, 04:23 PM

I considered the G37 as I had a G35. I also looked at the Murano and an FX35. I loved the Maxima from first drive
Old 09-12-2010, 06:27 AM

370z and i almost got it but then i changed my mind cuz i already have a 2door sport car so i need a 4door..
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM

i was actually thinking of downgrading from my mazdaspeed 3 to either a :

regular mazda 3
mazda 6
toyota corolla
ford focus
ford fusion
nissan sentra

i ended up test driving the sentra and a rogue but kept looking at the maxima. i was gonna downgrade for better gas mileage, cheaper payments, and so my wife could drive it on the days she has school. we plan on having a baby in about a year or so, that's why i wanted to get out of the speed 3 (it was modded). couldn't believe i ended up with something total opposite from what i was shopipng for.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:14 PM

I was comparing the following 4 cars:
2010 Acura TSX V6 (w/ Tech)
2010 Acura TL (FWD w/ Tech)
2010 G37xS (loaded)
2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe (cheaper option)

I didn't even consider the Maxima because of the CVT. I wouldn't even drive it. This whole car buying experience was crazy. I fell in love with the look and feel of the Acura TL. I was practically drooling after my first test drive. I only decided on this because the TSX lease prices were kind of ridiculous. Even the dealers told me I'd get a better deal on the TL. So I was ready to go. Contacted about a dozen dealers in the tri-state (NYC) area and was getting offers. Some offers were insane!! Like $650+ a month! Others were more reasonable in the $400-$500 range. So I settled on a deal locally at $450/mo nothing down, but I would have to pay the last 4 months of lease payments on my Accord (only $1124) So I went to sign and then the guy wanted a check for like $4000!! For taxes, down payment and a bunch of other ****. After some harsh and loud words I left and didn't look back.

I went to go for a cheaper option because I just didn't like the G37 and there was nothing else on the road I liked. So I went for the Accord Coupe. I had an 07, so I knew what to expect. I was absolutely floored with the lease prices these people were trying to blow up my ***. (Mind you I had a loaded 07 sedan with $0 out of pocket 3yrs for $299!) They were looking from $400-$500 mo!!! INSANITY I TELL YOU! So once again I aborted that process and left a dealership only to be stopped near a Nissan dealer. For ****s and giggles I went in to look at the Altima. I ended up driving the Maxima and loved it and was talking numbers...

A few hours later I put a deposit down and went home. I had to think about it for the night and call other dealers to make sure I am getting the lowest price possible. Ultimately I thought I got a great deal so, naturally, I held out for a little more thrown in and then signed the paperwork.

I walked away with giving them a check for the 1st month and plates fees. 39 month lease on a 2010 SV w/ Premiun & Technology packages, and a spoiler for $434/mo. They even paid off my Accord for me. (They said Nissan was doing it to get people out of Honda/Toyota and into Nissan)

Needless to say I love my car almost 100% (the only short-comings is the CVT - but it's bearable)

Last edited by exl_ent_v6; 09-12-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:35 PM

I was also looking at the Altima first, I was gonna settle on a 2.5s Altima, but I seen the Maxima and was blown away, I always thought it was beautiful but I never thought I could have one. I started shopping for an Altima and once I started messing around, and seeing how much a Maxima would cost I was hooked, I had to have one. I was first shopping for a 3.5s because prices were ridiculous at the time. Im realy happy it took me so long to sell my car because if I would have settled 7 months ago I would be in a 3.5s (Not trying to knock the base model) instead of my Sport/Technology.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Acura TL
Infiniti G37
Caddy CTS
Lexus IS
Pontiac G8

Acura was number 1 choice and was working on number for a while, was about to pull the trigger and all of a sudden checked out the maxima. I thought it was overprice for a Nissan until I saw one in person. It seemed way more plush than the Acura inside, looked way better from the outside, had the pano-roof, and the AC on driver seat (fav feature). All this for less. Only thing is you dont get a "luxary" badge, but a lot of people respect the name Maxima.

Owned it for 2 rainy days, havent gotten to play with it fully, but very very happy. Love to stare at it, way better than the Acura. I wouldnt of liked the Acura until I painted the grill.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Very interesting thread!

I looked at three cars last summer:

(1) Hyundai Genesis 3.6
(2) Buick LaCrosse (the mid range because the top range version wasn't available yet)
(3) The 2009 Maxima

The Genesis was very nice and stately. I really wanted a backup camera but didn't care for a Nav system because I prefer one I can move from car to car and think paying an extra $2,000 for one you can't move is a waste. With the Genesis you needed to buy both together, and it would have cost me about $2k more than a Maxima with a premium package that included the camera. Plus the Genesis was smooth but lacked the Maxima's sporty acceleration and handling of curves.

The LaCrosse was also nice, but the interior electronics isn't worthy of the rest of the car. It was definitely a downgrade. The car drove more like the Genesis than the Maxima as well, and it was clear the way they were hyping it the price of even the mid-range would be more than a Maxima.

When I got in the 2009 Maxima (I was driving a 1998 Maxima at the time) it just had a much more thrilling ride from the start than the others.

Can you spend more and get a nicer car? Sure. Of course, you can say that about virtually any car.

For the price I paid (about 33k) though I can't imagine liking any care more or even nearly as much.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Antny74
They're not even remotely in the same price range. Why don't you just take a Lexus LFA while you're at it?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
I swore I wouldnt buy another Maxima after having my '94 and '03 maxima. Love the cars but the dealers were A$$ holes. So before I looked at the maxima I looked at

-2008 Lexus GS350 AWD fully loaded- CPO with less then 20k Mile
-BMW 328 XI Coupe NEW - Had everything I wanted Nav, Premium Package, Sport package, but only had Manual seats, Felt the car was under powered with auto trans ( 230hp compared to my '03 maxima 255hp)
-BMW 335xi - Had everything i wanted but the guy didnt want to come down on the price and they had no more manuels.

I was so stuck on getting a bimmer that I actually leased a '08 Subaru Impreza so I could learn to drive a stick before I got my BMW

Well I was helping my cousin get out her chevy into a new nissan and while I was there I figured I will just test drive the MAX. Fell in love with it so I Got one Jan 2nd 2009. I got a great Deal on it.

So the the Lease is up on the Subaru in March 2011 so hopefully I could just Lease a 328xi coupe. 6speed cause the automatic is no fun for that car. But I still will keep my max.

I've driven the new 328xi 6 speed coupes, and to be honest... I wasn't really impressed. They are incredibly refined but I just find the transmission in the e92 isn't as smooth as it could (should) be. I was in the same boat you were... trying decide between a BMW and the new Maxima.

I went to have my wife test drive both so I had to have her test drive the automatic (6 speed ZF) transmission. Get this, I fell in love with it. I had all the utility I needed and FAR more power than I needed, particularly compared to my maximas, so I went with it. I haven't regretted it since. Also, I know in the sedans, the auto tranny is faster than the manual... and I don't have to clutch my way up 91 5 days a week.

It may definitely be worth giving it a test drive.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:09 PM

I looked at the following vehicles:

G37 Sedan: (Very nice, but the narrow width made the car feel too cramped)
TL: (Loved the interior but exterior styling and size could not stand)
TSX: (Loved the Size and handling, but seats and ride too firm for my taste)
ES350: (Comfortable, but so-so handling and worried about falling asleep at wheel)
Altima: (Nice size but less refined then Max in almost every way, busier ride/too much feedback in wheel)
IS250: (Loved styling but way too small/cramped on inside)
Camry: (way to boring, handling worse then ES, ride to floaty, gave me nausea)
Genesis: (nice exterior, interior didn't look right, but RWD only in NJ winters was turnoff and ride too firm/busy)
Old 09-13-2010, 05:16 PM

Genesis
G37x
Lagacy GT
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM

Other cars I looked at:

08 Acura TL-S, deal fell through, still being a rough time in the economy when dealers where not really moving cars, the dealer offered me a great price and then suddenly after the financing was done the interest rate was like 20%, my 650 a month payment skyrocketed to high 900's

08 Pontiac G8 GXP, the dealer acted like it was a one of a kind, was not willing to pay full price on a GM vehicle
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 AM
TBA

Mazda 6
Pontiac G8
Ford Fusion
VW Passat CC

The feature set of the Mazda looked good, but the driving experience left me flat. The interior was so-so, and the curve of the rear window really cut into the rear head room. My head hit the window and I'm only 5'10".

The G8 was nice - lots of room; the back seat was huge. I didn't get much drive time because the meathead dealer staff left fumes in the gas tank. The interior only came in black, and had a very cave-like feel. I really didn't want a black interior. The V6 didn't didn't have the oomph, but the V8 used too much gas for my liking. Too bad Pontiac got killed; this was a nice car.

Fusion - didn't drive it, but wasn't really the size I needed. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it from my view.

Passat CC - nice car, but only 4 seats? Didn't work for me with 2 kids in car seats.

Ultimately I've liked Maximas for years and the new style really got me excited. I tried to give the other cars a shot but from the first drive I loved the Maxima; handling, comfort, the whole package.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wasn't shopping for a new car I was happy with 2003 3.5 Altima never had any issues with it, but kept driving past the dealership and sitting there was a 2009 Max, the car just kept drawing my attention too it, not many on the road around where I live and too many Altima's after a few visits to see the car and then finally take it for a test drive, that was enough for me to buy it and very happy that I did.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:44 PM

I considered a ton.

I came extremely close to buying a 2007 Acura TSX. I also looked at Acura TLs, Volkswagen CC, Audi A4.

Most importantly though, I looked at leasing a new Infiniti G37 but the Maxima offers more for less.

An AWD Maxima with the 3.7VQ would be my perfect car.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 PM

I also test drove and considered a ton before buying my 2009 Maxima in September of 2008, to replace my blah-driving 2006 Avalon:

From top consideration backwards:
VW GTI - fun, but not luxurious; unsure of reliability; almost chose this...
Lincoln MKZ - not impressed with ride, seemed kinda cheesy interior
Honda Accord sedan - not impressed with ride quality and interior noise level.
Chevy Malibu LTZ - rubbery handling, a bit awkward entry/exit, and a big step down in prestige, but not a bad experience overall.
Caddy CTS - nice, but expensive for what you get. Unsure about snow handling with RWD. Too expensive for CTS4.
Infinity G35 - seemed too small, but nice. too expensive for X-AWD for snow.
Pontiac G8 - cheesy interior, noisy V6, my test drive got stuck in traffic - bad experience. Again RWD in snow concerns.
Acura TL (2008/09) - Didn't care for heavy steering feel, very cramped rear leg room. Uptight dealership.

Loved the Max the minute I saw it, even more after driving it. Last thing I test drove - and it stole me away from the GTI.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM

BMW 135i wicked car, only available in 2-door
BMW 328i 2nd place to maxima, maxima was on sale!
BMW 335i excellent car 3rd place bit $$$.

Heated steering wheel was a must for me.

I've been driving vw's bmw's porsches for 20+ years, Maxima is a great car. just wish it had a stick!

Jason
Old 09-24-2010, 03:39 PM

hi guys, what do u think the best price is for a 2010 S base model ? some are saying they are going for 24k...is that possible ?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by daroccot
BMW 135i wicked car, only available in 2-door
BMW 328i 2nd place to maxima, maxima was on sale!
BMW 335i excellent car 3rd place bit $$$.

Heated steering wheel was a must for me.

I've been driving vw's bmw's porsches for 20+ years, Maxima is a great car. just wish it had a stick!

Jason
I think the Maxima is the only japanese vehicle in this price range that offers a heated steering wheel? usually, you have to go up into the luxury sedan territory to get that feature! nice to be able to brag about though, I've done it on more than one occasion!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
I think the Maxima is the only japanese vehicle in this price range that offers a heated steering wheel? usually, you have to go up into the luxury sedan territory to get that feature! nice to be able to brag about though, I've done it on more than one occasion!
I love the fact that I have that! I can't wait till winter, lol. A heated steering wheel is only an extra 400 bucks on top of the price with the cold package which is very reasonable. To get that feature in A merc or a Beamer you would have to buy a package that adds like 1,000 to 3,000 onto the price.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 PM

I love the heated steering wheel. I remember all the times in my old car driving with numb fingers

Quick Reply: What other cars did you consider b4 buying your Maxima?