7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Farewell.... Sold the Max for a 335i

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:36 AM

Farewell.... Sold the Max for a 335i

Well.... Had an offer I couldn't refuse and traded in the Max for a 2007 335i 6-spd, sport package. Montego Blue on tan leather with light poplar trim. Freakin' gorgeous. It was hard to say goodbye to the Max, but for my own driving pleasure it had to be done. The bimmer snaps your neck when you get on it and drives like its on rails. Def. a perfect fit for me.

It was funny too, I brought the OEM wheels for the dealer's service dept to put back on so I could sell my 20's and a service technician bought them!! I couldn't believe it. Handed me a check.

Anyway, I have my custom 8w7 and box, and 500/1v2 that I'd like to sell, as well as the Bullydog PowerPup and T-Rex billet grille set (needs to be refinished though). Let me know if you are interested in anything.

Thanks for everything, and good luck with your Maximas!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:01 AM

Well congrats Annino! Looks like you took a big step forward. Does the Bimmer have a warranty, on it or anything?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Congrats on the great car.. I hope you got a cpo car or at least bought a extended warranty if it is not a cpo.. My best friend had a 2007 335 and he is on his 4th or 5th hpfp.. Hopefully they fixed the problem though..

Where are the pics of the 335??
Old 09-05-2010, 07:20 AM

Yea, we need pics of this beauty.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks guys, I'll post pics soon.

It has a year left on it's warrantee but BMW actually extended the HPFP coverage to 10yr/110k miles, so no worries there.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Good trade.

I know a lot about bimmers.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Nice man... quite an upgrade!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM

From a "sports car" to a sports car! lol.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:07 PM

congratz! you did it right with the 6sp manual...
Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Congrats to you man on the BMW... I am in the same boat as you as of now it is pretty hard for me to think of even trading in my car but as you did its for driving pleasure and what makes more sense... Good luck with everything man
Old 09-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Report back when you've installed a JB3. Should be interesting.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 PM

I've only started looking at forums, so I'm still learning about the car... What exactly is the JB3? I've seen it all over the internet.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Well.... Had an offer I couldn't refuse and traded in the Max for a 2007 335i 6-spd, sport package. Montego Blue on tan leather with light poplar trim. Freakin' gorgeous. It was hard to say goodbye to the Max, but for my own driving pleasure it had to be done. The bimmer snaps your neck when you get on it and drives like its on rails. Def. a perfect fit for me.

It was funny too, I brought the OEM wheels for the dealer's service dept to put back on so I could sell my 20's and a service technician bought them!! I couldn't believe it. Handed me a check.

Anyway, I have my custom 8w7 and box, and 500/1v2 that I'd like to sell, as well as the Bullydog PowerPup and T-Rex billet grille set (needs to be refinished though). Let me know if you are interested in anything.

Thanks for everything, and good luck with your Maximas!
Wow, that is a great move, I love the Bimmer 335i. Hate to see you go Bro but I understand, you provided a lot of entertainment and knowledge to this forum.

Stop by from time to time and say hello if and whenever you can and enjoy your Ultimate Driving Machine.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Wow, that is a great move, I love the Bimmer 335i. Hate to see you go Bro but I understand, you provided a lot of entertainment and knowledge to this forum.

Stop by from time to time and say hello if and whenever you can and enjoy your Ultimate Driving Machine.
Thanks man, I'll def. try to keep an eye on things around here.

The 335 is a freakin' beast.....
Old 09-05-2010, 02:09 PM

And now for some pictures of my new baby:

Old 09-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Very nice, congratulations!!
I've had my eye on something like this as well:

and with your pictures I can see why were enticed (*hint 3 pedals )
Old 09-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Very nice!

Probably a move I'll soon make.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by chdavis
Very nice!

Probably a move I'll soon make.
To the BMW or just trading in your car? lol
Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM

While I respect the decision Annino made I can't quite get the move from a full sized semi-luxury sedan to the very tiny albeit powerful 3 series BMW. Unless of course you settled for the Maxima to begin with. I just don't see the transition. Going into a 5 series maybe but it seems to me that you are paying more for the brand name. I say this having driven and ridden in a 2007 and a 2009 3-series. I honestly was not impressed. Just my opinion. Your maxima will be missed.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by hamzer11
While I respect the decision Annino made I can't quite get the move from a full sized semi-luxury sedan to the very tiny albeit powerful 3 series BMW. Unless of course you settled for the Maxima to begin with. I just don't see the transition. Going into a 5 series maybe but it seems to me that you are paying more for the brand name. I say this having driven and ridden in a 2007 and a 2009 3-series. I honestly was not impressed. Just my opinion. Your maxima will be missed.
Obviously the man is looking for something with a lot more power, plus getting the presitge that goes along with the BMW name isn't a bad trade IMO. The 335i is every bit as powerful as an M3 (2009 and below) and just a few more mods and the thing is a beast for sure.

Personally, I wouldn't have did a trade like this myself unless I'm the type who likes to take my car to the track and race in the 1/4s. If he doesn't have to worry about hauling any big people around then this is a good personal car to have, the Max has a more mundane task (hauling big people around with lots of stuff).

I think he made a great decision because he is enthralled with the power of the car and I can't blame him.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 PM

I like the styling direction BMW has taken with the 3 and 5-Series but I just can't stand their continued blah interiors! God I wish they did something different with them b/c that is still what keeps me away. You really need to like interiors on a car since as the driver you spend more time looking at your interior then you ever do the exterior. That is unless you sit in a chair at your house window and stare out at your car everyday, lol!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
I like the styling direction BMW has taken with the 3 and 5-Series but I just can't stand their continued blah interiors! God I wish they did something different with them b/c that is still what keeps me away. You really need to like interiors on a car since as the driver you spend more time looking at your interior then you ever do the exterior. That is unless you sit in a chair at your house window and stare out at your car everyday, lol!
Maybe now since the intro of the new 7 series they will adopt a new style in the lower 5 and 3 series too, let's hope so. The interior isn't bad in any BMW but they are a little more boring than what one would come to expect from a car with such high status.

The new 7 series interior is par excellence.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm not good with goodbyes. Hate to see you leave Annino.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Maybe now since the intro of the new 7 series they will adopt a new style in the lower 5 and 3 series too, let's hope so. The interior isn't bad in any BMW but they are a little more boring than what one would come to expect from a car with such high status.

The new 7 series interior is par excellence.
True, I should have been more specific, the overall styling inside is still blah looking, but the material qualify and fit/finish is quite high, which you would expect for a BMW price premium. But as I mentioned earlier, I need more than just good materials and fit/finish since that doesn't mean squat when looking at it on a constant basis.

I don't mind them keeping the orange center console lighting but I really wish they'd get rid of the orange lighting for the instrument cluster/speedometer up on the dash b/c its hard to look at when its dark and replace it with a white or more neutral color so its easier to look at. Nissan and Infiniti got a lot of crap a few years ago for their all orange/yellow lighting and they since have changed it (Infiniti has gone all white/blue and Nissan has changed the instrument and speedometer to white). The white is much easier to look and glance at then the orange that you used to have to quint to see.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:05 PM

Nice ride, but honestly it's not nearly as attractive as the Maxima. Sure it has more power, but it's not like the Maxima is exactly lacking in power. This coming from someone who was about to buy an M3 sedan, but ultimately decided on an SV Sport. Money was not an issue...I made 90k in 6 months as a contractor in Iraq plus I was getting a $6k DoD/Military discount for a custom ordered M3. I am so glad I didn't go that route.

If I traded my Max for any BMW it wouldn't be anything less than a 550i. That's just my opinion though. Hope you enjoy!!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
I've only started looking at forums, so I'm still learning about the car... What exactly is the JB3? I've seen it all over the internet.
JB3 = Juice Box 3

http://www.modbargains.com/JB3.htm

http://www.burgertuning.com/jb3.htm

I have many friends that I autocross with that have bimmers, always fun... You'd be surprised how many I smoke wit my 370z of course mostly it's because they can't race for sh!$.

Enjoy I'll miss you.

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 09-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 AM

Looks good, I like the color!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 AM

O/P...send pm....anyway..which BMW did your deal...maybe i can swap for a 5series..just a taught..give me some info..
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM

Like my fiancé first said "it's so tiny!". For me, the maxima had wayyyy more room than I needed. The BMW is a perfect fit.

Addressing "paying for a name", I couldn't disagree with you more. You say you've test driven them, but have you? The fit/finish is exceptional and the driving experience is phenomenal. You feel absolutely connected to the car. The closest thing to it that I've driven was my 350z, but even that fell short in some areas.

I agree the interior leaves something to be desired. It is growing on me quick though. Again, the fit and finish is absolutely insane.

On a side note, my grille is sale pending, the sub and amp has an open offer on it, and I forgot to mention I have a Power Pup to sell too. And a racingline grounding kit, new and never installed.

Last edited by ANNINO; 09-06-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
JB3 = Juice Box 3

http://www.modbargains.com/JB3.htm

http://www.burgertuning.com/jb3.htm

I have many friends that I autocross with that have bimmers, always fun... You'd be surprised how many I smoke wit my 370z of course mostly it's because they can't race for sh!$.

Enjoy I'll miss you.
Wow.... +100hp???? Jesus. That is wild. Thanks for the links.
Having previously owned a 2007 350z, I can safely say that the bimmer is a bit faster. I havnt had the privilege of driving the 370 though. And like you said, the driver has a LOT to do with it lol.

Thanks for the comments guys, and I will miss you too!
Flip, dry your eye! You know where to find me if you need me!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Very nice trade man, so the only real question Im gonna ask you about your 335 is, are you gonna go along with BMW 15k oil change interval, I know people who do and don't for different reason, wondering what your take is

Enjoy the car and keep in touch, keep us updated
Old 09-06-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
Very nice trade man, so the only real question Im gonna ask you about your 335 is, are you gonna go along with BMW 15k oil change interval, I know people who do and don't for different reason, wondering what your take is

Enjoy the car and keep in touch, keep us updated
I will def. not be going that long between changes. I need to do some research, but I'm thinking somewhwere around 5k....
Old 09-07-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by hamzer11
While I respect the decision Annino made I can't quite get the move from a full sized semi-luxury sedan to the very tiny albeit powerful 3 series BMW.
I think the driving experience meant more than interior room and luxury orientation. After that, it need only be "big enough".

Annino - enjoy it, and maybe get an oil analysis done to see for yourself how well the oil holds up. Get the oil analysis with a TBN (total base number) which is some indicator of remaining oil life (acid neutralization?).

Norm
Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 AM

wow annino one of the nicest maxs on here, sad to hear you sold it. Good luck with the 335i, very nice color too. My friend has one and boy are they fast. Especially with a jb3 tune and some small bolt ons, it would run 12s easily in the quarter mile. Alot of potential with those twin turbos. Good luck with the car
Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 AM

i too have test driven a 335i and wow they have to under rate these cars. the max has 290 and the 335 has 310 hp right??? and yeah the 335 just blows the max out of the water. with that twin turbos, it makes a lot of torque at like 1500 rpm. A blast to drive for sure!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 AM

Very nice move. I want a 335i sedan as well or a G37S 6 speed sedan.. I am jealous of you
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2010BlackMax
i too have test driven a 335i and wow they have to under rate these cars. the max has 290 and the 335 has 310 hp right??? and yeah the 335 just blows the max out of the water. with that twin turbos, it makes a lot of torque at like 1500 rpm. A blast to drive for sure!
I believe that BMW even admitted that they underrated the HP of the 335i, it nearly hangs close enough to beat an M3 but just imagine if the Maxima had twin turbos and how much faster our cars would be.

I always look at these other manufacturers and still think that their V6's in the same vain or same area of competition vs the Maxima are underpowered unless they use some type of blown application.

Mercedes makes a 3.5 and it doesn't put out the power the Maxima does and there are other 3.5 V6s or even flat 6s that doesn't put out the same amount of power as the Max does.

Even BMW had to blow their 6 in order to get it to put out more power than the Maxima, that is saying something there, now if we can just find someone to twin-turbo their Maxima and race the two (Max vs 335i) heads up and then we'll see what's really what!!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 AM

I believe that BMW even admitted that they underrated the HP of the 335i, it nearly hangs close enough to beat an M3 but just imagine if the Maxima had twin turbos and how much faster our cars would be.

I always look at these other manufacturers and still think that their V6's in the same vain or same area of competition vs the Maxima are underpowered unless they use some type of blown application.

Mercedes makes a 3.5 and it doesn't put out the power the Maxima does and there are other 3.5 V6s or even flat 6s that doesn't put out the same amount of power as the Max does.

Even BMW had to blow their 6 in order to get it to put out more power than the Maxima, that is saying something there, now if we can just find someone to twin-turbo their Maxima and race the two (Max vs 335i) heads up and then we'll see what's really what!!
I couldn't agree with you more!!! With being NA nissans motors are top notch. The 3.5 is one of the best motors around. Very high HP and torque, also it does beat the competition hands down in my opinion. How cool would that be if it were twin turbo and direct injection, which at least DI has to be coming down the pike soon. The new qx56 is now DI and is sweet! Plus the 3.5 sounds just sweet if you ask me. Has a nice growl to it. Its way better then hondas 3.5, and toyotas 3.6 size? or similiar engines. Simply blows them away!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2010BlackMax
I couldn't agree with you more!!! With being NA nissans motors are top notch. The 3.5 is one of the best motors around. Very high HP and torque, also it does beat the competition hands down in my opinion. How cool would that be if it were twin turbo and direct injection, which at least DI has to be coming down the pike soon. The new qx56 is now DI and is sweet! Plus the 3.5 sounds just sweet if you ask me. Has a nice growl to it. Its way better then hondas 3.5, and toyotas 3.6 size? or similiar engines. Simply blows them away!
Agreed with you about adding DI and the way the 3.5 sounds, many car mags have stated that even the 3.7 sounds strained and the engine is getting a little coarse and behind the times in terms of its' NVH characterisitics.

Let's just hope and pray that Nissan are paying attention to the market well enough for our beloved Max to survive to the future with the additives we are suggesting that it adopts.

At one point there was mention of a Diesel Maxima that just kind of bit the dust but even that with that Motor the Max would've probably put out somewhere in the neighborhood of 330HP and that would've really made this car feel fast at lower speeds as well.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks Norm, and you nailed it - the driving experience was the number one concern, while maintaining a certain level of luxury and space for people and 'stuff'.

1sik, thanks man, I will always look back at the pictures of my Max and smile. I loved that thing

2010blackmax - i think they are rated at 300/300. Plus it must be alot lighter than the max. You are right about the underrating though, the 335 is an absolute ROCKET. God I love hitting the throttle.

BK - swap out your tranny for a 6 spd and twin turbo that 3.5!!!! Haha, jk but you are right, that motor would be a BEAST with two cute little turbos attached. Also, keep in mind that BMW could have kept it N/A as usual and up the engine to a 3.5 vs. the 3.0L they had been carrying. My new (to me) 3.0L twin turbo is my new favorite thing.... don't tell my fiance tho

Quick Reply: Farewell.... Sold the Max for a 335i