7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Ticking Sound When Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:43 PM

Ticking Sound When Driving **Update Suspension Problem**

So when I roll through my neighborhood (which is a very quiet area) I hear this ticking sound coming from what sounds like the drivers side of my car.
It's quite annoying. This only happens when driving. I am not sure if it goes away with higher speed or not, because I can only hear it when driving slow.

Any one have similar issues? I don't notice any issues with the car, just the odd sound...

****SEE UPDATE THREAD POST BELOW****** It was a suspension issue!!

Last edited by exl_ent_v6; 08-07-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6
So when I roll through my neighborhood (which is a very quiet area) I hear this ticking sound coming from what sounds like the drivers side of my car.
It's quite annoying. This only happens when driving. I am not sure if it goes away with higher speed or not, because I can only hear it when driving slow.

Any one have similar issues? I don't notice any issues with the car, just the odd sound...
We need a little more info. I assume the ticking is only there while you are rolling? You can determine this by sitting parked with the windows open and the engine running. If not ticking while sitting, we can pretty much eliminate everything but the tires/wheels/brakes.

The first thing I would check is whether a stone or piece of metal is stuck in one of the tire treads. Do not assume the problem is on the driver's side. Have a buddy ride shotgun, open all windows, and, as he sits in the right seat, ask him where he thinks the sound is coming from.

Keep feeding us info, and we will somehow figure this out.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-31-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:01 AM

Yeah I'm not assuming it's the driver's side. I'll have to get my buddies to listen. I know the noise does NOT occur when idling. Only when driving. I've noticed this sound since I got the car about 3 months ago. Not sure what it could be. I'm due for an oil change so I'll mention it to the dealer and hopefully they can figure it out.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
We need a little more info. I assume the ticking is only there while you are rolling? You can determine this by sitting parked with the windows open and the engine running. If not ticking while sitting, we can pretty much eliminate everything but the tires/wheels/brakes.

The first thing I would check is whether a stone or piece of metal is stuck in one of the tire treads. Do not assume the problem is on the driver's side. Have a buddy ride shotgun, open all windows, and, as he sits in the right seat, ask him where he thinks the sound is coming from.

Keep feeding us info, and we will somehow figure this out.
some little pebbles can really get lodged. If a piece of metal, do not remove it, drive to a tire shop immediately
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by k757
some little pebbles can really get lodged. If a piece of metal, do not remove it, drive to a tire shop immediately

Yes, I have definitely had the experience of removing a piece of metal from a tire (often a screw) while in the middle of nowhere, leaving me with a tire to change. And usually in either blistering heat or a dark, wet, windy day. This is learning things the hard way.

Tires are most prone to pick up pebbles during the first half of their tread life, while the tread grooves are still deep and can get a good grip on things. Soft pebbles usually gradually wear and disintegrate and fall out, but a pebble comprised of a hard igneous rock such as granite may last for a very long period, clicking its way across the country.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:14 PM

thanks! I've been crazy busy but I'll look tonight to see if I can see anything in the tires. Otherwise I mentioned it for them to look at on Wednesday when I bring my car in for its 1st oil change and NAV Recall.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM

Ok so I brought the Max in this morning for its first oil change and the nav update. I had them look the car over for the ticking sound. Turns out my suspension came loose!!

The quote from my paperwork says "Re-torqued left front axle" The service advisor said that they had to adjust the suspension and then adjust and tighten the driver's front axle.

Crazy stuff. I am not sure what would have or could have happened if this was left untreated, but I am glad that the ticking is gone and my baby is ok.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6
Ok so I brought the Max in this morning for its first oil change and the nav update. I had them look the car over for the ticking sound. Turns out my suspension came loose!!

The quote from my paperwork says "Re-torqued left front axle" The service advisor said that they had to adjust the suspension and then adjust and tighten the driver's front axle.

Crazy stuff. I am not sure what would have or could have happened if this was left untreated, but I am glad that the ticking is gone and my baby is ok.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Wow! That is definitely a 'first' here. Good thing you are a 'worry-wart' type and didn't just let this tick slide.

I would check the steering carefully, and then check how all four tire treads are wearing every thousand miles for a while, just to be sure they have the suspension adjusted correctly.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Actually I have a slight ticking, probably same as you describe....
I've had it on the '07 altima as well 'til the day it went back to the dealer. I kind of just disregarded it on this car, but damn now I just might bring it in.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Pebble in tire pull it out, I had one lodge between my thread for the longest and it drove me nuts till I seen the pebble one day and flicked it out with a screwdriver, haven't heard the noise ever since.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by legalize
Actually I have a slight ticking, probably same as you describe....
I've had it on the '07 altima as well 'til the day it went back to the dealer. I kind of just disregarded it on this car, but damn now I just might bring it in.
I've had this ticking pretty much since I got the car (that I can recall) so I've drive to DC and Philly from Long Island and logged over 4000 miles with no issues. So if I were you I'd check all your tires for debris and then whenever you go in for an oil change have them look at it.

I would be very concerned if something on my suspension is loose, but they didn't seem too overly concerned about it, as if it were no big deal.

I'm just glad everything is ok now.