7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

handling on stock tires..... UGH!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM

handling on stock tires..... UGH!

So I'm driving home tonight on slightly wet roads (no standing/running water) and while going around a right handed bend I've taken with many different vehicles (FWD and AWD cars), the back tires broke loose and gave me a eye-opening experience. In reality, the car was unstable for a second or so, but DAMN, I would have bet I was headed to the opposite side guardrail. Anyway, just as I knew I would be screwed, the car determined that I was about Fckd and the stability kicked on and saved my azz from certain fckdom.

Thanks Nissan, but I guess it's time for new tires. The weird thing is, the tread looks great and have ~19k miles on them.

anyone else have their car decide to do it's own thing?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 PM

i am very impressed with they stock summer tires nissan decided to put as an option on the sport. I have never had tires that griped so well. I have had to "lock'em up" before on I-4 during rush our and the tires have saved me and the front of my car on more than one occasion. Surpsingly i havent heard them skid. Maybe its the trac control helping out but what ever it is I am very thankful.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:10 PM

If you do not have the Sport version, your Maxima has Goodyear RS-A tires. These have been panned widely. The summer tires that come with the Sport, are not RS-A, and I heard are good.

Maybe Nissan knew that VDC would save your butt. It is un-nerving to lose control.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM

RSA's are the worst tires in existance. I can't wait until mine wear out so I can get new ones.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD
RSA's are the worst tires in existance. I can't wait until mine wear out so I can get new ones.

Ditto!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 PM

My stock Sport RSA tires are actually really good, no problems and the ride is smooth! Im glad i dont have summer tires, because I cant afford to buy a new set when winter rolls around
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by CT Maxima

If you do not have the Sport version, your Maxima has Goodyear RS-A tires. These have been panned widely. The summer tires that come with the Sport, are not RS-A, and I heard are good.
Most Maximas with the Sport package also have the Goodyear RS-A tires. Only the Sport Maximas that were ordered/equipped with the special summer tire option do not have the Goodyear RS-As. Most of the Maximas with Sport package I have perused at my dealer (while awaiting my oil changes) have the RS-As.

The RS-As on my Premium have been excellent so far. I am approaching 19 months, and there has not been even a whisper of vibration of any kind. So far, these have been the smoothest-riding tires I have ever had on any of my Maximas.

As to slipping on wet curves, I can't answer that because I have never taken a wet curve with enough speed to find out. I am very careful around wasps, women and wet curves.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
<snip>
As to slipping on wet curves, I can't answer that because I have never taken a wet curve with enough speed to find out. I am very careful around wasps, women and wet curves.
now that's solid advice for all young men
Old 07-24-2010, 05:10 AM

Most Maximas with the Sport package also have the Goodyear RS-A tires. Only the Sport Maximas that were ordered/equipped with the special summer tire option do not have the Goodyear RS-As. Most of the Maximas with Sport package I have perused at my dealer (while awaiting my oil changes) have the RS-As.
Maybe its becasue im here in Florida. I am at the dealership right now waiting on my Navi update. I am goin to take a stroll around to see what the sports here have.

I am very careful around wasps, women and wet curves.
you know, the last two might be considered one in the same at times... I know I know, i probably shouldnt have went there
Old 07-24-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by k757
So I'm driving home tonight on slightly wet roads (no standing/running water) and while going around a right handed bend I've taken with many different vehicles (FWD and AWD cars), the back tires broke loose and gave me a eye-opening experience.
First light rain after a hot/dry spell is always treacherous until there's been enough of it to wash the oil film off. If the sensation of not being stuck down tightly to the pavement spooks you and you lift off the throttle enough to get much of any engine compression braking, you just make matters worse.

anyone else have their car decide to do it's own thing?
Different car, but yes. The good thing (I suppose) is that when the system first intervened it didn't work at cross-purposes to what I'd do naturally or do anything really ugly. The bad thing was that it interfered on dry pavement under what I consider quite mild circumstances (YMMV on that point, though) and stayed active too long (leaving me with near-zero available acceleration coming up to a merge point with 55 mph traffic).

Please do not develop the mindset that these technologies will save you from everything, all the time. They'll cover for certain brief lapses in judgment, but will not repeal the laws of physics and are not a substitute for learning how to control your car under any circumstances that you could reasonably expect to encounter. Take in an autocross on a rainy day with the electronic aids turned off to find out what you and your car are capable of doing. What you learn there will be with you even when vehicle sensors die or fuses blow.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-24-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 AM

. The summer tires that come with the Sport, are not RS-A, and I heard are good.
The sport tires that come with the sport package are the goodyear rs-a as well
Old 07-24-2010, 06:58 AM

I absolutly hated my stock 18" tires. I would burn rubber alll the time at stoplights, not giving over 1/2 throttle. Wet traction? Non-existant. My Yoko S.drives are the best tire I have ever had the pleasure of driving on. I kept the RS-A's as a backup, but come winter time I'll be rocking snow tires. Bottom line.... I HATE the RS-A's.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:06 AM

When I first got the Max about 3 months ago now, the RSA's sucked monkey *****. But now that they are broken in they are impressively better.
When I first got her, just lightly stepping on the gas would break the tires free. Now I need a heavy foot to do so.
I would no doubt replace the RSA's once they are worn with another product (probably go back to the Triple Assurance that I loved so much) but until then, I'm satisfied with them.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:09 AM

The stock 18inch RS-As have been atrocious so far. Terrible vibrations above 55mph, even after two performance balancing, one of the noisiest/loudest tires I have ever had in all my years of automobile ownership, ride quality is so-so, not the worst I have ever had but certainly no where near the best! They handle very poorly, especially in wet or snowy weather. What is particularly disappointing about them is that even on dry handling, if you really want to corner sharply, they slide a decent amount and can't seem to match the sporty handling the Maxima has.

I'd love to have an excuse and the money to replace them, only problem is, they are wearing extremely well. Apparently, Nissan wanted us to suffer for a while with these tires!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
Yep. The summer tires are an option. It seems Nissan wanted everyone to suffer.

I'm still trying to figure out how women and wet curves are related.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 AM

They SUCK! I don't drive mines in the rain for that same reason. Even when driving at below high speed on rain days you can find yourself losing grip. They are not wet weather tires.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by smarty666
I'd love to have an excuse and the money to replace them, only problem is, they are wearing extremely well. Apparently, Nissan wanted us to suffer for a while with these tires!
It's not just Nissan.

Based on actual tread depth measurements, I'm expecting to get 50,000 miles out of a set of BFG KDWS on the Mustang - without any enthusiasm whatsoever. As hard as I tend to take corners, I can't seem to scrub any life out of them.

Norm
Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 AM

yes but the summer tires that come only as a free option to the sport are Bridgestones Potenzas RE050A W rated. Surprisingly not a lot of the sports have them. $272 a pop.

Last edited by Flip2cho; 07-24-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
yes but the summer tires that come only as a free option to the sport are Bridgestones Potenzas RE050A W rated. Surprisingly not a lot of the sports have them. $272 a pop.

I suspect that if enough of us complain to our stealerships and NCAs, that maybe on the next Gen, Nissan will do what Infiniti did on the new M, put Michelin Primacy MXM4 or MXV4s as OEM b/c the RS-As suck and are not a good match for the Maxima, just like they were not for the M.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM

Maybe Nissan knew that VDC would save your butt. It is un-nerving to lose control.
I actually have the sport package and mine came with the 19" version of these POS RSA's. I hate them.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 PM

Nissan since the 4th gen has had a history of putting horrible tires on the Max and the Z since the Z33 (350) as well.......I absolutely hate the Potenzas on my 370 (as most of us 370 guys do) and hated them when my 5.5 gen had them.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6
When I first got the Max about 3 months ago now, the RSA's sucked monkey *****. But now that they are broken in they are impressively better.
When I first got her, just lightly stepping on the gas would break the tires free. Now I need a heavy foot to do so.
I would no doubt replace the RSA's once they are worn with another product (probably go back to the Triple Assurance that I loved so much) but until then, I'm satisfied with them.
I am also looking at the TripleTreds, but in a different size (225/50-18) as the TripleTreds don't come in the stock size

Maxima stock = 245/45-18
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tire Size Comparison
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
245/45-18 - 4.3in - 13.3in - 26.7in - 83.8in - 756 - 0.0%
225/50-18 - 4.4in - 13.4in - 26.9in - 84.4in - 751 - 0.7%
Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 PM

^ The big advantage you have by going with another Goodyear tire is that, if you take your Maxima into a Goodyear tire dealership and really make a stink of how much handling, vibration, noise, ride quality problems, etc you've been having with the RS-As, more then likely you'll be able to have an adjustment made, depending on how many miles you have on the RS-As obviously, and you'll be able to get the TripleTreds, ResponsEdge, or what ever Goodyear tire you want for dirt cheap. Sometimes you only have to pay for mounting, balancing, and disposal of the old tires. I've done this in the past before with both Goodyear and Bridgestone so it does work.

My local Goodyear tire store told me when I complained about the RS-As that they get a lot of complaints about them and typically do an adjustment and tell people to get one of their tires that handles and rides better and with lower noise. He even told me these RS-As have inherent vibration issues that Goodyear is aware of.

Best of luck on what ever new tires you get!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 PM

^ The big advantage you have by going with another Goodyear tire is that, if you take your Maxima into a Goodyear tire dealership and really make a stink of how much handling, vibration, noise, ride quality problems, etc you've been having with the RS-As, more then likely you'll be able to have an adjustment made, depending on how many miles you have on the RS-As obviously, and you'll be able to get the TripleTreds, ResponsEdge, or what ever Goodyear tire you want for dirt cheap. Sometimes you only have to pay for mounting, balancing, and disposal of the old tires. I've done this in the past before with both Goodyear and Bridgestone so it does work.

My local Goodyear tire store told me when I complained about the RS-As that they get a lot of complaints about them and typically do an adjustment and tell people to get one of their tires that handles and rides better and with lower noise. He even told me these RS-As have inherent vibration issues that Goodyear is aware of.

I may try that this coming week. worth a few mins of my time if I can get some value back on teh RS-A
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 PM

I remember several posters on the 6th gen board doing that, especially between summer of '03 and summer of '04, when the 6th gen was just out, and front end vibration was a problem for many posters.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:12 AM

I've been loving my new SV Sport so far but I have to admit, the ride is kind of bumpy, but I dont mind because I like feeling the road. I don't know if it's the sport suspension or the Stock Sport RS-A tires.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214
I've been loving my new SV Sport so far but I have to admit, the ride is kind of bumpy, but I dont mind because I like feeling the road. I don't know if it's the sport suspension or the Stock Sport RS-A tires.
But it looks so good!!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 AM

Please do not develop the mindset that these technologies will save you from everything, all the time. They'll cover for certain brief lapses in judgment, but will not repeal the laws of physics and are not a substitute for learning how to control your car under any circumstances that you could reasonably expect to encounter. Take in an autocross on a rainy day with the electronic aids turned off to find out what you and your car are capable of doing. What you learn there will be with you even when vehicle sensors die or fuses blow.
Amen to that statement.

Also I'd like to add that a person should learn the limits of their car from a handling perspective as soon as possible...not to be a bad *** racer on the road, but because it could possibly save your life if you have to do an emergency/evasive maneuver to prevent/lessen a collision.

With that said I have the Sport with the RSA's and I have to say that IF you are a somewhat skilled driver as far as performance driving then you will have no problems with the RSA's. I have learned how to throw my Max into a 90 degree turn at a pretty high rate of speed, and utilizing the brake and then the throttle just at the right time she pulls it off VERY well with no loss of control or uncontrollable break of traction and it stays in the lane without sliding outwards towards the curb.

You HAVE to know your car, most of the problems people complain about are things that can be mitigated by the driver. For example you will KILL yourself in a Porsche 911 if you don't know what you are doing and that has nothing to do with its lack of capabilities.

Long story short...get to know the dynamics of your car.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Maxim_ized
Amen to that statement.

Also I'd like to add that a person should learn the limits of their car from a handling perspective as soon as possible...not to be a bad *** racer on the road, but because it could possibly save your life if you have to do an emergency/evasive maneuver to prevent/lessen a collision.

With that said I have the Sport with the RSA's and I have to say that IF you are a somewhat skilled driver as far as performance driving then you will have no problems with the RSA's. I have learned how to throw my Max into a 90 degree turn at a pretty high rate of speed, and utilizing the brake and then the throttle just at the right time she pulls it off VERY well with no loss of control or uncontrollable break of traction and it stays in the lane without sliding outwards towards the curb.

You HAVE to know your car, most of the problems people complain about are things that can be mitigated by the driver. For example you will KILL yourself in a Porsche 911 if you don't know what you are doing and that has nothing to do with its lack of capabilities.

Long story short...get to know the dynamics of your car.
What your saying is very true, but only to a point. It makes no difference how good you are as a driver if your tires are not able to meet the dynamics of your vehicle. The RS-As are certainly a case in point with the Max. If they were, so many people would not be complaining about them.

Last edited by smarty666; 07-25-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:51 PM

wow i learned something new today, never knew nissan put out those tires on the sport packages too ...even a couple of buddies who have the 2010 sports packages all have the rs-a...
Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM

It is clear that the RSAs don't have very good reviews. As reviewed by most of us Maxima drivers and on tirerack.

I have had very bad experiences in rain with these tires. These tires are just not good in wet weather. It hydroplanes very easily.

But in dry weather and on straight roads, it sure can hold its own. In curves, not so good with me. But still performs decent.

But it is true that if you know your car very well and try to master the combination of your car with its current tires, then I am sure you can get some good fun as you will grow to know your limits of what that combination (your car with its current tires) can pull off.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:55 PM

wow i learned something new today, never knew nissan put out those tires on the sport packages too ...even a couple of buddies who have the 2010 sports packages all have the rs-a...
I thought they would be a lot more common then they are. I have learned that to be otherwise now. I have yet to hear anybody else on this forum say that they had the summer tires on there car. I went to the dealership Saturday to get my navi updated and i went out to look at the other sports models on the lot. There wasn't a single Sport with the summer tires. I didn't even pay it any attention when Purchased my car. I went outside to see what tires i had about two months after owning it and found that mine were equipped with them. I love em. Like i have posted before, the stopping power that the tires give the car is amazing. Best I have personally ever felt on a vehicle of mine. They grip like nobody's business.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Somewhat Hijacked Thread

Sorry but I cant yet post a new thread and the question is inline with this post I think.

I have had my 10 Max (premium) for a couple weeks now and have been really dissapointed with the ride-more specifically the way it "tracks". I had an 07 Altima before that would drive with one finger on the wheel if you wanted to. I noticed with the Max, it really requires almost constant steering corrections especially over roads that have any groves in them. Is this normal? I had it back to the dealership and spoke with the mechanic and he said the alignment was only slightly out but his adjustment did not help. I am crazy about tire pressure and tried 8-10 different setups and 36psi is the best ride but I still do not feel the car is right. I guess it could be these terrible goodyears but I needed to ask you guys what you have expierenced.

It does not pull to the side it just is not very "stable." Is this what you have seen as well? The ride when its windy out is almost a bit dangerous
Old 07-25-2010, 07:27 PM

But it looks so good!!
I know its a beauty, and its such fun to drive, but I feel every bump on un-even pavement, not that I care tho I still love driving it!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by atlanta10
Sorry but I cant yet post a new thread and the question is inline with this post I think.

I have had my 10 Max (premium) for a couple weeks now and have been really dissapointed with the ride-more specifically the way it "tracks". I had an 07 Altima before that would drive with one finger on the wheel if you wanted to. I noticed with the Max, it really requires almost constant steering corrections especially over roads that have any groves in them. Is this normal? I had it back to the dealership and spoke with the mechanic and he said the alignment was only slightly out but his adjustment did not help. I am crazy about tire pressure and tried 8-10 different setups and 36psi is the best ride but I still do not feel the car is right. I guess it could be these terrible goodyears but I needed to ask you guys what you have expierenced.

It does not pull to the side it just is not very "stable." Is this what you have seen as well? The ride when its windy out is almost a bit dangerous

Interesting post. The first few months after I bought my '09, I seem to remember feeling my '09 was a little more difficult to keep straight than my '04 had been. It even seemed to have a little wiggle from side-to-side at speed just like my '70 Olds Cutlass of 40 years ago. But either I adjusted to the situation, or it gradually went away, because I never even think about steering these days. My wife also drives this Maxima, and she hasn't mentioned the steering.

I pay little attention to the way steering behaves on grooved roads. Low profile tires often do poorly on grooved roads. I have noticed this car is vulnerable to cross winds. If your car is wobbling on smooth roads, then that is a problem. I must say I have tried letting go of the steering wheel several times in recent months, and found the car tracked straight and true.

Other factors include the fact the 7th gen Maxima has the smallest steering wheel and quickest lock-to-lock steering of any Maxima ever built. Even the tiniest nudge of the steering wheel clearly affects the car's direction.

It may be that you and the car are just not quite acclimated with each other yet, and things will get better, I hope so.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM

What shocked me the most about these RS-A's is the treadlife. It's pathetic that an Eagle F1 GS-D3 has a better treadwear rating than these POS tires. Stock RS-A's are rated at 240, and the Eagle's are rated at 280. A friend of mine with a 2003 Cobra (630 RWHP) ran these tires and loved them. A tad noisy, but those tires were SUPER sticky. Handling was transformed once he put those tires on. I'll be considering the GS D3's or a set of G-Force KDW's once the OEM tires have run their course.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
What shocked me the most about these RS-A's is the treadlife. It's pathetic that an Eagle F1 GS-D3 has a better treadwear rating than these POS tires. Stock RS-A's are rated at 240, and the Eagle's are rated at 280.
I'm a little surprised at this. A complaint I have seen here more than once is that the RS-As tread lasts TOO well, and folks waiting for them to wear out so they can get better tires despair of these RS-As ever wearing out.

I know I got over three good years out of the RS-As on my '04 Maxima, and there was still 3/32nds of tread left on them (they have around 11/32nds of tread when new) when I replaced them so I would have better handling on wet roads.

There are obviously better tires out there than these RS-As, but when I think back to the tires that usually came on new cars from the 1940s into the 1980s, I have to admit the RS-As are a big performance and treadwear improvement over those tires.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 AM

I'm a little surprised at this. A complaint I have seen here more than once is that the RS-As tread lasts TOO well, and folks waiting for them to wear out so they can get better tires despair of these RS-As ever wearing out.

I know I got over three good years out of the RS-As on my '04 Maxima, and there was still 3/32nds of tread left on them (they have around 11/32nds of tread when new) when I replaced them so I would have better handling on wet roads.

There are obviously better tires out there than these RS-As, but when I think back to the tires that usually came on new cars from the 1940s into the 1980s, I have to admit the RS-As are a big performance and treadwear improvement over those tires.
Oh trust me, I was shocked too! I went through 2 sets of Yokohama Avid V4's on my Grand Prix and those things had a ridiculous tread life for being a high performace A/S tire. Great dry/wet traction on those Avids but were a tad noisy. My pops reminds me all the time about the old poly-glas tires back in the day and how terrible they were (his ride back in the early 70's was a '66 GTO with a 455 big block).
Old 07-26-2010, 11:36 AM

One of the things about these POS RS-As was winter weather driving. This past winter in the mid-atlantic states were particuarly bad. I remember that even doing 10-20 mph BELOW the speed limit when it was even just lightly snowing out, with a coating across the road, the tires were slipping all over the place, no matter how careful I was. The VDC was consistenly flashing on the instrument panel and correcting for the tire's crappy road grip/handling. There was a couple of times during Jan and Feb, I do believe that if I didn't have VDC, I would have been off the road.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 PM

Man. Reading all this makes me a bit nervous about my Maxima now. I'm in NYC so winter time we get snow. I also work in Atlantic City and HAVE to drive sat/sundays there rain or not. My old Pontiac G6 was simply AWESOME in all weather. 3 years never chained my tires (Only 22k miles) and i never had a problem, one of the few pushing through easily on the road. Wish I had checked what tires those were...

I haven't had a chance really to test the car on a highway yet but tonight I will and tomorrow as well. I almost feel bias from reading all these posts already but I'm hoping my driving experience will be good. I tend to go fast on corners and turns, now though I'm thinking I might be a bit more cautious on them with the '10 Maxima.

Quick Reply: handling on stock tires..... UGH!