7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Hurricane tips for your car

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Love my '09

Hurricane tips for your car

I got this from my insurance company because I live in a hurricane prone area, but some of the safety stuff would be applicable for everyone.

----------

Most people don't think about their cars during hurricane season, but your car may just be your key to safety.
If a hurricane is severe enough, you may need to use your car to get to a safer place. Make sure your car is ready for a hurricane or a possible evacuation and that you understand how to drive in severe storm conditions.
Hurricane Safety Tips

Make sure you have a full tank of gas before a storm arrives.

Store a crate in your trunk with emergency supplies:
· a first aid kit
· duct tape
· jumper cables for a dead battery
· one or two blankets
· a flashlight
· bottled water
· some sealed, shelf-stable food (like energy bars)
· some basic tools like a screwdriver and pliers
· a couple of brightly colored cloths to tie on your rear-view mirror to signal for help if you need it

Make sure you have a good spare tire.

If you're evacuating, bring your (fully charged) cell phone.

If you're evacuating or returning home after a hurricane, avoid driving through water.
The average car can be swept off the road by as little as 12" of moving water. According to the National Hurricane Center, more than half of all hurricane deaths in the last 30 years have resulted from inland flooding. Of those deaths, one in four was someone who drowned in her car. Find an alternate route.

If your vehicle stalls in deep water, you may need to restart the engine to make it to safety.
Please know, however, that restarting may cause severe damage to your engine. If you can't restart your vehicle and you become trapped in rising water, IMMEDIATELY ABANDON IT FOR HIGHER GROUND. If you're unable to get out of the vehicle safely, call 911 or get help from a passerby or someone standing on higher ground.

After you and your vehicle are out of deep water and in a safe area, depress your brakes slowly several times to help dry them out.
And remember, if you're evacuating an area and leaving your car behind, be sure it's not left in a low-lying area prone to flooding. Rising water can seep in and damage your vehicle.

--PROGRESSIVE INS.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Nice, but when I saw the title I was thinking hope a tree does not land on it
Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
After you and your vehicle are out of deep water and in a safe area, depress your brakes slowly several times to help dry them out.
Right about here I'm going to say that having the brakes immediately cut the throttle is not always a good thing. Never mind what the safety ***** who can't currently look beyond runaway Toyota situations might want you to think.

It's even better to lightly drag the brakes (against more throttle in order to maintain your slow speed) as you're going through water that's deep enough to immerse the bottoms of your rotors (there will be less water to "squeegee off" once you've cleared it).

Norm
Old 07-06-2010, 06:49 AM

Pressing your brake pedal after driving through water is an old school method used when cars had brake drums, with drums you actually lose your brakes, how is this still being carried over to modern cars with disc brakes
Old 07-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Love my '09

I'd have to assume it was a "generic" email to encompass the folks that still have drums. Just because your car doesn't, doesn't mean there aren't still 100,000 of them on the road.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 AM

Man thanks for sharing this. Thank you for the concern.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Not just for drums.

Because it is still a valid method for regaining brake performance. Rotors are not immune to wetting via immersion; water can and will cling to vertical rotor faces even as they rotate.

Having water become a lubricant between a rotor and its pads still makes that rotor ineffective until the moisture has been evacuated. Making that happen takes a little time, not just one or two wheel revolutions. You still effectively "lose" your brakes, it's just that recovering wetted disc brakes is quicker than recovering wetted drums.

Some of the higher end European cars now feature brakes that automatically and periodically apply the brakes lightly when wet weather is sensed. Whether the use of PCM throttle cut on sensing a brake pedal event is at all behind this I don't know.

Downplay this effect to disc brakes at your own risk (but hopefully not at mine).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-06-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 AM

The "Smurf" is on the gulf side of the state, so when a Hurricane hits, he will probably get the oil between his pads and rotors!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully we'll be as fortunate as we were last summer and not have to worry about any storms down here. I'm always fully prepared though...just in case.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 PM

If any of you want some REAL tips for Hurricane survival - contact me - I've been through a few of them now... (23 years in Central Florida - seriously a lot hurricanes have been across me.)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Love my '09

LOL Central FL is "safer" than being near the storm surge. I've only been here 15 years now.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM

About the only other thing I would add is a couple of the obligatory Blue Tarps and a hand operated reverse osmosis purifier.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
About the only other thing I would add is a couple of the obligatory Blue Tarps and a hand operated reverse osmosis purifier.
Good idea on the purifier. I always keep the blue tarps handy too. Although they don't work very well if the entire roof is missing