7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Tour of the 7th Gen plant in Smyrna Tenn.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 AM

Tour of the 7th Gen plant in Smyrna Tenn.

Just got back from the wife and I's anniversary Trip in Tennessee. We were originally going to go to Nashville, but with all the flooding we rented a nice log cabin in Gatlinburg. We took a day trip over to Smyrna for the Nissan Plant Tour.

It was interesting tour of where they make the 7th Gen. Maximas, Altima, Xterra, Frontier, Pathfinder, and Cube.

We were strictly not allowed to take photos of the inside of the plant, but as we drove around outside, my wife was able to snap some outside photos.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i.../Plant%20Tour/

It was interesting that the Maxima's and Altima's were made on the same assembly line. You would see 4 Altima's in a row and then 2 Maxima's, then back to Altima's. I recall that one of their production signs stated that they make 131 Maxima's per day. All in all, I encourage everyone to go and check them out, it was well worth the time, and I bought a few items in their gift store too.

Tour info: http://www.rutherfordchamber.org/cvb...l.php?PRKey=12

Last edited by 09Maxima_Sam; 05-14-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:21 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Photobucket makes it hard to quickly view the pics in full size,,,
Old 05-14-2010, 12:27 PM

I would like to visit this or any plant and watch metal turn into art like the Max. It would be even better to watch my next car being built. Plans plans plans.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Brings back good memories. My wife and I toured the plant the last week of March, 2008 (the 7th gen was introduced to the public March 19, 2008, and went on sale at dealers June 26, 2008). The 7th gen Maximas were just beginning to come off the assembly line, and I almost fell out of the tour cart gawking at them.

I hope to tour the plant again just after the 8th gens begin coming off the line. That will probably be the last week of March, 2013. Nashville should be almost back to normal by then.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

I toured the plant last year in August. They had the 2010 models rolling of the line and I got to see the new colors and wheel finish before they hit the lots. It was truly a treat.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:09 AM

This is great!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
This is great!

Yes! That sign has been up for years, and two years later, I can still remember smiling as we coasted into a parking space reasonably close to the visitor's plant entrance. Hated to give up my camera and phone before the tour, but understood why.

Smyrna has certainly changed from the tiny sleepy village it was back in the 1950s and 1960s, when we frequently visited my wife's grandparents who lived there from the 1920s until they passed away in the 1970s. Their beautiful rock home is still there, just two blocks from the center of the old village.

The engines for the Maxima are made in Decherd, another small Tennessee town about fifty miles southeast of Smyrna, between Winchester and Monteagle. Monteagle sits on top of a ridge running from northeast to southwest, and has several great retirement-type subdivisions with long vistas looking out across wide areas from the ridge, which is around a thousand feet higher than the surrounding area.

But I ramble.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes! That sign has been up for years, and two years later, I can still remember smiling as we coasted into a parking space reasonably close to the visitor's plant entrance. Hated to give up my camera and phone before the tour, but understood why.

Smyrna has certainly changed from the tiny sleepy village it was back in the 1950s and 1960s, when we frequently visited my wife's grandparents who lived there from the 1920s until they passed away in the 1970s. Their beautiful rock home is still there, just two blocks from the center of the old village.

The engines for the Maxima are made in Decherd, another small Tennessee town about fifty miles southeast of Smyrna, between Winchester and Monteagle. Monteagle sits on top of a ridge running from northeast to southwest, and has several great retirement-type subdivisions with long vistas looking out across wide areas from the ridge, which is around a thousand feet higher than the surrounding area.

But I ramble.
Thanks for sharing sounds like such a beautiful area I've always heard nothing but great feedback about TN, I hope to get out in late summer for a mini vacation, hoping that Nashville will be in better shape and spend a week in TN checking out all of different sites including Smyrna and take the Nissan plant tour.

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 05-15-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:02 PM

hmmm I smell a road trip! Sounds like the tour was fun! I can't wait to take my Max back to its home in good ol' Tennessee... I've never been there but my parents tell me its beautiful!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
This is great!

I loved this so much when I worked there. I dont know if you know but the first about 15-20 rows are for nissans so if you didnt have one you had a long walk outside, not counting a VERY LONG WALK from the back of the plant to the parking lot. FYI I worked on the Maxima/Altima CPM line (or dash assembly).