7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

CVT Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ali_209
Thanks bro. correct am living in Qatef.. it is near Al Hufuf,,about 200 KM.
am sure maxima.org is the most useful site i ever seen because the gays here r experience in the MAX. am waiting for my 7th gen. max to come next week,, hopefully.

Qatef! You are very near the Persian Gulf.

As soon as your new Maxima arrives, let us know the color and what options you have. Also tell us how you like it.

Peace.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Qatef! You are very near the Persian Gulf.

As soon as your new Maxima arrives, let us know the color and what options you have. Also tell us how you like it.

Peace.
Yes that's true my friend,, don't worry as soon i receive it from the agency i will post pics .

peace.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM

ali 209 welcome here

Qatef Damn the best cars in there

think about this altima 1988 - 90 have RB or 1Jz or 2Jz Damn

__________________________________________________ _______________
you are welcome again bro
Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM

I'm a newbie here -- have a 2010 SV+Premium, picked it up three weeks ago today. My other car is a 2003 Infiniti G35, which I've had for 6 years. I think the hardest adjustment to the Max has been the CVT. I've felt that the G had one of the greatest-feeling transmissions I've ever driven --very smooth, and great sense of acceleration. As has been reported in some other threads, when you're driving 35 or less, stop and start, the CVT can feel like it's bogging dow -- like you're going 30 in 5th gear and need to downshift. The RPM hovers around 1K in these situations, and you really have to give it some gas to get it to "downshift." If you slap the handle left, go to Ds, it will downshift immediately and the RPM will go up to about 2K or so. The shift patterns are then much more "familiar" to me, with actual feeling of shift ponts (although I understand these are more or less artificial). I spoke to a Nissan tech at length about the CVT performance at lower speeds. It's supposed to work just as I describe. The reason he said was that by keeping the RPMs down to 1K in that range, you really improve the fuel economy. It may also reduce stress to the tranny as others have stated -- that makes sense. But Nissan's goal was to the the EPA estimates up. Now, go to full manual, and shift 1,2,3 etc., and wait until 4 or 5K rpm to do so. Even from a dead stop, the car pretty much flies (and not just "passing speed" acceleration, which is of course, great). I have this sneaky suspicion that if I were to race my G35, they would be about the same up to 50 -- but the G would feel to the driver like it was the faster car. Perceptions of power and speed in cars can really be deceiving. I read another thread that stated that drivers that did timed trials to 60 in both Ds and regular old D (regular CVT) consistently posted better times in regular D, regardless of the perception of the engine winding up a bit more and "shifting" in Ds. We'll see how I feel about it in a month. I just love how the car looks -- my G35 has dated very well in appearance and has a very elegant look. But the Max is very aggressive and not overdone in any way. I love the wide interior as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 AM

decarlnick - You are correct that Nissan has this 7th gen 'D' set up for good fuel efficiency. I find I can do a lot of my driving at RPMs between 1100 and 1500. That gives me good fuel efficiency. The EPA highway rating is 26, but I have gotten around 30 MPG on several long open freeway trips. With the shiftpoints set where we normally find them in shifting trannies, I would not be able to keep the RPMs as low as I can with this CVT at freeway speeds.

Of course the great fun I am having manipulating this CVT would not be considered fun by drivers still emotionally attached to shifting trannies.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:59 AM

The shifting points are all chosen by the computer that controls it. It can give tremendous power and jump quickly from the 1k-2k Rpm range to the 4.5k-5.5k area when the computer feels it's necessary. As I have stated before, stopped at a redlight and taking of straight ahead the computer saves gas because it knows it's not necessary to push to higher RPMs quickly. If you were in the middle of the same intersection sitting in the left turn lane waiting for a break in oncoming traffic so you can get through to turn left the cars computer pushes those RPMs higher quicker because it knows there is more of a need to "go quick fast" to get you out of the way of oncoming traffic. The computer seems to take in to account if the wheel is turned and how fast/hard you press the gas pedal. If you think I'm crazy then put yourself I'm the same situation and punch the gas and tell me if the car doesn't respond in a different was than if you were just driving straight.

It give more power in different situations when it is more likely to be more necessary otherwise the computer is all about saving gas. It would be nice if you had some kind of "Economy mode" button you could depress but I don't think Nissan really cares about fast pulloffs from the line and is more concerned with the "real world situations".
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Love my '09

take the MT/AT/CVT discussions to that thread please.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by af20
i think the bog in the 0-20 is more to help prevent torque steer because think of it 290 hp on front wheels nissan must of had issues with it development and decided the bog in the beginning was appropriate. instead of other car makers who just put all these computers to limit slip it seems nissan went for the bog the engine route.

i dunno just my 2 cents
Actually, I think it is because of the current limitations in CVT technology. The torque converters are more for mileage than for off the line performance. Plus I am not sure how well they would hold up long term under 2500-3000 rpm torque converter stall speed flashes at launch with good traction.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 PM

Whats the most power someones pushed through one of Nissans CVTs? I remember reading about this Turbo Altima with a CVT that was making around 370HP:
http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/tur...imacoupe.shtml

Anyone make more then that?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM

It does seem to have low end power, I uh..... was driving next to my friend in his moms new 2009 Max, and my 4th gen next to it, and my car could keep up with accelerating until about 35-40... then my car gave up
Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM

The CVT seems to work far better and much more responsive with the VDC turned off, maybe it's just me but there appears to be a lot less lag than with it on.

I actually did a burn out with the VDC off and that's something I never seemed to be able to do with the VDC on with this CVT.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by af20
i think the bog in the 0-20 is more to help prevent torque steer because think of it 290 hp on front wheels nissan must of had issues with it development and decided the bog in the beginning was appropriate. instead of other car makers who just put all these computers to limit slip it seems nissan went for the bog the engine route.

i dunno just my 2 cents
I think your on to something there. On my way to work this morning, i was aggressively passing a "cut you off and then drive slow" kinda idiot and as i proceeded to pass with the pedal floored. I noticed the the car torque steered sightly toward the idiot as i passed him.

I've actually noticed this happen several times and the correction that i make on the steering wheel is not very responsive...

Has anyone one else noticed this
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 AM

This seems like the right thread to ask this:
Is there any differences at ALL between the sport and premium maximas cvt?does the sport shift firmer or is the cvt or cars ecu programed any differently between the 2 models?

I feel my premium shifts best in the sport model{shifter moved to the left} rather than drive or using the shifter or paddles.Any truth to this?
When I leave it in DS mode it feels very nice.When I leave it in just Drive mode its just the long stretched gear feeling and laggy.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Juggernaut23
This seems like the right thread to ask this:
Is there any differences at ALL between the sport and premium maximas cvt?does the sport shift firmer or is the cvt or cars ecu programed any differently between the 2 models?

I feel my premium shifts best in the sport model{shifter moved to the left} rather than drive or using the shifter or paddles.Any truth to this?
When I leave it in DS mode it feels very nice.When I leave it in just Drive mode its just the long stretched gear feeling and laggy.
Exact same CVT in all versions of the 7th gen Maxima, with the exact same software.

The 'shifting best in DS' is a psycological thing. We have been used to having trannies shift, and feeling the jerk of the pretend-shift of the DS is comforting. We subconsiously associate that jerk with power. But, in each case official elapesd time track runs were made by ORG members, the 'D' mode has proven to be faster than the 'DS' mode.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by M@XiMus
I think your on to something there. On my way to work this morning, i was aggressively passing a "cut you off and then drive slow" kinda idiot and as i proceeded to pass with the pedal floored. I noticed the the car torque steered sightly toward the idiot as i passed him.

I've actually noticed this happen several times and the correction that i make on the steering wheel is not very responsive...

Has anyone one else noticed this
LOL, very mild on the 7th gen. You should try a 6/6.5 gen!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Exact same CVT in all versions of the 7th gen Maxima, with the exact same software.

The 'shifting best in DS' is a psycological thing. We have been used to having trannies shift, and feeling the jerk of the pretend-shift of the DS is comforting. We subconsiously associate that jerk with power. But, in each case official elapesd time track runs were made by ORG members, the 'D' mode has proven to be faster than the 'DS' mode.
Ignorance is bliss light, just remember that ! j/k, I know the its all psychological when in DS but I try to pretend its really shifting just to get that sporty feel, exactly how you described it!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM

I have seen elsewhere on the site, where drivers had done timed tests on tracks to demonstrate what is stated above -- but as I recall, the tests were up to, what, 100 mph or something? The reasoning stated (that there is no pause to simulate shift points) makes perfect sense. But I haven't seen any data for times up to, say, 30, 40 or 50 mph. My sense is that the Ds "might" be faster for those speed goals, as the RPMs seem to be considerably higher for the same MPH (as when in plain D). If this was covered in another thread, let me know please.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 PM

I have like 113 miles on mine right now and let me tell you it can go. I downshifted from fifth all the way to third and the pull was great, I loved it and it was so responsive, I didn't jump on it hard for those who might say Im being hard on my Max. I can't wait to see what it feels like after I logged like 2,500 miles on it.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
LOL, very mild on the 7th gen. You should try a 6/6.5 gen!
...or a 5.5 gen, and definitely don't romp on it in the middle of a left turn unless you really want to go straight!