7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

New 2010 Max SV - questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM

New 2010 Max SV - questions

Anyone here have Tinnitus and own a Max?

The Bose stereo is making my tinnitus act up - no fun ... I tried all the settings, to no avail

I love the rest of the car, but not being able to listen to the stereo, even at lower levels, is frustrating.

Also, how long does it take the Twiddler tweeters to break in? I currently have about 385 miles on my Max.

Thanks,

-John
Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM

I suffer from tinnitus too but the BOSE audio system doesn't bother it like it is for you! Only thing I can recommend is to turn the bass all the way down and see if that makes a difference! If not, then I don't know what to tell you!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks - I'll try that on the way home ... it makes sense - the RawDog Comedy channel on XM doesn't bother it - it just sounds so tinny if I turn the bass down and listen to the other channels.

I may also have a blown ear drum, which would make things worse.

Which ear(s) do you have it in? Mine's pretty severe, in both ears, so I tend to fade/balance to the front left in any car I drive - what are your settings like?

I had a 2009 Lincoln MKS before this, and its THX II-certified system sounded great and didn't bother my ears at all.

-John
Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by DraKhen99
Thanks - I'll try that on the way home ... it makes sense - the RawDog Comedy channel on XM doesn't bother it - it just sounds so tinny if I turn the bass down and listen to the other channels.

I may also have a blown ear drum, which would make things worse.

Which ear(s) do you have it in? Mine's pretty severe, in both ears, so I tend to fade/balance to the front left in any car I drive - what are your settings like?

I had a 2009 Lincoln MKS before this, and its THX II-certified system sounded great and didn't bother my ears at all.

-John
I only get it from time to time mostly in my left ear but I have noticed in previous cars that if the bass is turned up to loud it begins to bother it; also, the sound itself if too loud could irritate the ear drum causing the tinnitus so make sure the music isn't too loud either!

best of luck man!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
I only get it from time to time mostly in my left ear but I have noticed in previous cars that if the bass is turned up to loud it begins to bother it; also, the sound itself if too loud could irritate the ear drum causing the tinnitus so make sure the music isn't too loud either!

best of luck man!!!
Thanks

I drove home, and ended up with the following settings. Tomorrow morning, when my ears are fresh - that'll be the real test.

Bass: -4
Treble: 0
Fade (L/R): Left 1
Balance (R/F): Rear 3

I think what the Max needs is a separate sub/amp in the trunk, say a JL 10w3v2, which I've had plenty of in the past. That would keep the bass far enough from my head to where it shouldn't be an issue, but fill in the low end. I've done this in cars before, and it usually ended up quite nicely. The issue here will be that I definitely am NOT removing the stock nav system or speakers, so it'll have to be a line-out converter, and with the bass down, some tweaking will be necessary. I have professional installer friends who can help in this regard, I believe.

My tinnitus is usually aggravated by music that's too loud in general, or bass/treble without enough of the other. I was able to turn it up to a respectable (ie, normal) listening level on the way home without too much of either, although the bass is lacking. Overall, my right ear (which is most affected) didn't feel "dead" when I got home, and no headaches. I may have to fine tune the fade and balance, but it's very, very close!

Thanks again, smarty!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 PM

I don't know if this will help you make a choice of how you tune you system but the front holds 5 of the the 9 speakers the back only holds 4. The two speakers behind the rear seats are the two subwoofers with no mids or highs. Only two of the four speakers in the rear give off vocals and the are on the doors which buries them in the floor. Dunno if that will help your tunning at all
Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
I don't know if this will help you make a choice of how you tune you system but the front holds 5 of the the 9 speakers the back only holds 4. The two speakers behind the rear seats are the two subwoofers with no mids or highs. Only two of the four speakers in the rear give off vocals and the are on the doors which buries them in the floor. Dunno if that will help your tunning at all
Yeah, I had checked on that - that's why I faded it to rear. It in effect softens the treble so the highs are less harsh. The woofers in the rear deck try to fill in the low end when faded to the rear as well.

Like I said, the tune is pretty close, so maybe I can get away with not adding a dedicated sub.