7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Racingline Y Pipe now available again! : )

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Thumbs up Racingline Y Pipe now available again! : )

Alright guys, who's going to give this a whirl?

It's a cheap mod for good power.

I'm just curious about how it'll change the exhaust note/drone.

http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=22
Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Racingline has a threead on this forum title "Racingline updates". On their thread they have a video clip with the y-pipe installed on a 09' Maxima. It sound pretty hot. I ordered mine last week, now I'm patiently awaiting it's arrival.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tooruff
Racingline has a threead on this forum title "Racingline updates". On their thread they have a video clip with the y-pipe installed on a 09' Maxima. It sound pretty hot. I ordered mine last week, now I'm patiently awaiting it's arrival.
Oh nice! I didn't see that. I'm excited to hear your results.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM

So, did anyone receive theirs yet? Any input? I already have the stillen intake & exhaust, so I am wondering if there is a benefit from this piece. Cheers!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha
Alright guys, who's going to give this a whirl?

It's a cheap mod for good power.

I'm just curious about how it'll change the exhaust note/drone.

http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=22
I'm waiting to see if it is going to improve mpg or if it is going to decrease it more.

Originally Posted by imcgjh84
So, did anyone receive theirs yet? Any input? I already have the stillen intake & exhaust, so I am wondering if there is a benefit from this piece. Cheers!
I have the Stillen CAI & Catback Exhaust system on my car and Idk if it is the intake or the exhaust but my MPG decrease I have not seen any gains so I am not sure if adding in a Y-Pipe is just going to kill the MPG and premium gas is not cheap, lol.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM

I received an e-mail from Racingline today that said my y-pipe shipped. I checked the Fedex site and it said I should receive it a week from today. If that's true I'll install the pipe next weekend.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 AM

I received an e-mail from Racingline today that said my y-pipe shipped. I checked the Fedex site and it said I should receive it a week from today. If that's true I'll install the pipe next weekend.
I didn't get an email from them which I thought was weird... gotta check my spam folder. Mine shipped out wednesday night. Shipping type says "Expedited", which I assume means about a week since it's international. My gaskets will be here Tuesday or Wednesday so I hope the y-pipe comes around then!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM

Mine isn't coming until Thursday, I'll put it on next weekend. My Stillen cat-back isn't loud enough for me, but I would assume that this Y-pipe will make it louder.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD
Mine isn't coming until Thursday, I'll put it on next weekend. My Stillen cat-back isn't loud enough for me, but I would assume that this Y-pipe will make it louder.
Hopefully it does. I like the sound of the exhaust buy I do think that it could be louder and I believe the ypipe will do just that.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Mine is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I'll install it over the weekend and try to hit the drag strip to see if my numbers improve any.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Any updates?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 PM

i ordered one last week should be at my house in a few days then gotta borrow friends floor jack put it in ....ill record some vids i have straight pipe also so it should sound pretty g00d
Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ
i ordered one last week should be at my house in a few days then gotta borrow friends floor jack put it in ....ill record some vids i have straight pipe also so it should sound pretty g00d
How are you gonna install this yourself? Doesn't it require cutting and welding the old pipes?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by 09max07gsxr
How are you gonna install this yourself? Doesn't it require cutting and welding the old pipes?
No, it's a bolt-on.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD
No, it's a bolt-on.

If I would have read, I would have seen that.

<-- Idiot!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 AM

Order submitted. We will see.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:02 AM

Does this have any effect on the warranty?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by omario
No because it is considered part of the exhaust system not the engine. Headers would have an effect on the warranty if something went wrong..
Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM

I found the website to purchase new gaskets before installing but I'm not sure which ones I need (all 3?) Here's the website http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...8328_8329.html Did you guys purchase specific ones or all of them?

Last edited by Invizion; 03-16-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Check you local Nissan dealers parts department. Three local dealers in my area had all three gaskets in stock and you don't save anything by ordering them (shipping). The list price for the gaskets are only about a buck and a half more total.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by omario
I think this could impact your 80,000 mile federal mandated emission systems warranty as your actually "removing" the 3rd catalytic convertor which would be considered a major component of the emissions system even though it's not connected to an oxygen sensor. If you have any emissions systems issues later on they might try to blame the "Y" pipe for it, most likely they won't but you never know.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Invizion
I found the website to purchase new gaskets before installing but I'm not sure which ones I need (all 3?) Here's the website http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...8328_8329.html Did you guys purchase specific ones or all of them?
Yes you need all three and I used that same dealer...
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 AM

Just so you all know, you are gonna need some RTV sealant too. I spoke with Racingline about the fact that the y-pipe has smooth flanges as opposed to the OEM flanges with extending "tabs" to hold and seat the gaskets. They said to just use RTV to hold the gaskets to the header/pre-cat side while you mate-up the y-pipe.

Another concern I have is that the rear-facing forward flange has a much bigger hole than the forward-facing one. The crush gasket does not fully seat against the flat part of the flange - it overhangs into the pipe. Not sure if this is on purpose or not, I'm waiting to hear back from Racingline. It looks like effort was made to expand the pipe and make the hole bigger so I'm sure there is no issue, but I wanted to give you all a heads-up to these two things so you don't scratch your head when you get it on your doorstep like I did.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Just so you all know, you are gonna need some RTV sealant too. I spoke with Racingline about the fact that the y-pipe has smooth flanges as opposed to the OEM flanges with extending "tabs" to hold and seat the gaskets. They said to just use RTV to hold the gaskets to the header/pre-cat side while you mate-up the y-pipe.

Another concern I have is that the rear-facing forward flange has a much bigger hole than the forward-facing one. The crush gasket does not fully seat against the flat part of the flange - it overhangs into the pipe. Not sure if this is on purpose or not, I'm waiting to hear back from Racingline. It looks like effort was made to expand the pipe and make the hole bigger so I'm sure there is no issue, but I wanted to give you all a heads-up to these two things so you don't scratch your head when you get it on your doorstep like I did.
thanks for the warnings, my pipe should be coming in later in the week, Overall did you feel a difference in performance?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
thanks for the warnings, my pipe should be coming in later in the week, Overall did you feel a difference in performance?
I havn't installed it yet... It's been too sh*tty out. Next nice day I will head out and slap it on.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Just finished installing the Y-pipe. It fits perfectly and bolts up very nicely. I gotta stress that it is imperative that you get new crush gaskets. The rear one you could probably reuse, but mine was all rusty so I am def. glad I got a new one. If you live anywhere that uses salt, be prepared for lots of rusty nuts and bolts. The front 6 weren't bad, and a little work with a giant breaker bar took care of them easily. I spent about 2 hours wrestling with the rear two nuts though. They are in a very tough space with not alot of room for finagling a breaker bar in there. If the car was on a lift it woulda been easy, but jacked up forget it. I made a makeshift medium sized breaker bar out of a 1/2" x 12" socket extension. Took alot of muscle, but they finally broke loose.

I don't think I have any leaks.... would it be blatantly obvious?

Can't say much about performance yet, I was so frustrated with how long it took me, I just took a spin around the parking lot to check for leaks. The sound at startup has this nasty deep growl. I need to have my gf rev it for me while I stand behind the car to get a feel for the sound. Tomorrow morning's highway cruise to work should be fun though.... Overall I am very happy with this product, Racingline delivered a very nice product in the long run.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM

Just finished installing the Y-pipe. It fits perfectly and bolts up very nicely. I gotta stress that it is imperative that you get new crush gaskets. The rear one you could probably reuse, but mine was all rusty so I am def. glad I got a new one. If you live anywhere that uses salt, be prepared for lots of rusty nuts and bolts. The front 6 weren't bad, and a little work with a giant breaker bar took care of them easily. I spent about 2 hours wrestling with the rear two nuts though. They are in a very tough space with not alot of room for finagling a breaker bar in there. If the car was on a lift it woulda been easy, but jacked up forget it. I made a makeshift medium sized breaker bar out of a 1/2" x 12" socket extension. Took alot of muscle, but they finally broke loose.

Can't say much about performance yet, I was so frustrated with how long it took me, I just took a spin around the parking lot to check for leaks. The sound at startup has this nasty deep growl. I need to have my gf rev it for me while I stand behind the car to get a feel for the sound. Tomorrow morning's highway cruise to work should be fun though.... Overall I am very happy with this product, Racingline delivered a very nice product in the long run.
Nice man glad to hear that everthing went well and that you got that on your max... You gotta come out the the Berlin Tpke. this year man... If you wanan be apart of Styl'd Customz let me know it would be cool to have another 7th Gen. in there...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 PM

AWESOME! Let us know also what it's like a cruise not just at full throttle...
Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
AWESOME! Let us know also what it's like a cruise not just at full throttle...
Ok so here's my input after my first drive...

Startup - car has a nice little growl. Not as loud as my Z was, but def louder than stock.

Acceleration - the car DEFINITLY pulls very noticably harder. At 1/2-3/4 throttle (which is where I usually am for normal accel.) the car takes off with alot more punch. I was grinning from ear to ear.

Overall sound - hard to say really, It's difficult to gauge it from the cabin. This afternoon it should be nice out, so with the windows down I will be able to hear it (32degrees on the way into work this morning... sorry but those windows stay UP). But from what I've experienced so far I am very happy and it is def. louder... just cant give you an honest impression yet.

Highway cruise - Stock sound, very quiet
Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 AM

Thumbs up

Awesome! I just placed my order.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 AM

Sweet! Let us know how your mpg's are
Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 AM

great news! just placed an order. how long did it take to receive if ordered through standard USPS? is it lighter than stock?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fsan
great news! just placed an order. how long did it take to receive if ordered through standard USPS? is it lighter than stock?
For me it arrived on the 3rd business day... And that was from BC, Canada to Connecticut. I think other people are looking at a week. It is pretty light, I would say yes, considerably lighter than stock. The OEM one is gross looking - not very pretty piping.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks ANNINO! can't wait till mine gets here. Were you able to re-install the OEM pipe support bracket? or does it just hang there by the bolts?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by fsan
Thanks ANNINO! can't wait till mine gets here. Were you able to re-install the OEM pipe support bracket? or does it just hang there by the bolts?
Nope, no need for the support bracket. You just take the whole thing off. The pipe is light enough that it would be way overkill to use the bracket... I don't think you could even reuse it if you wanted to - the upper half of the bracket is welded to the OEM Y-pipe.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:02 PM

Thanks Annino, I took your advice and invested in a breaker bar before my pipe arrived today. It took me about an hour and fifteen minutes on my back to do the install. The RTV came in handy to hold the crush gaskets also. Now it's time to clean up and take her for a spin!!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks Annino, I took your advice and invested in a breaker bar before my pipe arrived today. It took me about an hour and fifteen minutes on my back to do the install. The RTV came in handy to hold the crush gaskets also. Now it's time to clean up and take her for a spin!!
Nice! Glad I could help. Have you stood behind the car and had someone rev it for you yet? It sounds soooooo nice.... real throaty i'd say. Def. a good investment, I am very happy. Let us know what you think!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:11 PM

The exhaust sounds good in the 1800-2500 rpm range. I was expecting more after seeing the Racingline clip. I'm not mad though. I'm in the passnget seat right now and my fiancé who never speeds is having a ball with the power and handling. I'll let you know more tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 AM

my pipe came yesterday, cant wait to install it this weekend!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:08 AM

mine coming on Tuesday i cant wait to hear it with my straight pipe =D

then im gonna go to jersey to get my dyno tune done =D

Quick Reply: Racingline Y Pipe now available again! : )