7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Racingline Y Pipe now available again! : )

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:34 PM

I installed my Y-pipe today and took the Max for a nice hour or so drive through some of my favorite back roads. The install took about an hour and was very straightforward. The sound at idle is no different and it's just slightly louder in the mid RPMs under hard acceleration; note I have the Stillen Intake & Exhaust. Under normal driving it sounds no different. There is definitely more power in the mid-high RPMs. I'll take her to the drag strip tomorrow and see if I get better times or trap speeds.

I still don't get the issues a lot of folks are having with the "crush" washers. Mine came off just fine with the pry of a screw driver; in literally 5 seconds total. As you can see in the pics below mine were definitely reusable. But I have a little over 7k miles on my car so maybe the folks with higher mileage are having the problems. I ended up picking up some new washers from a local dealer since so many were complaining, but as I initially suspected they were not necessary. But since I had new ones I went ahead and used them. Using the gasket maker to hold them in place was a great tip.

The top one is new, the bottom is used.

The dark ones are used.

Last edited by madstylez; 03-20-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by madstylez
I installed my Y-pipe today and took the Max for a nice hour or so drive through some of my favorite back roads. The install took about an hour and was very straightforward. The sound at idle is no different and it's just slightly louder in the mid RPMs under hard acceleration; note I have the Stillen Intake & Exhaust. Under normal driving it sounds no different. There is definitely more power in the mid-high RPMs. I'll take her to the drag strip tomorrow and see if I get better times or trap speeds.

I still don't get the issues a lot of folks are having with the "crush" washers. Mine came off just fine with the pry of a screw driver; in literally 5 seconds total. As you can see in the pics below mine were definitely reusable. But I have a little over 7k miles on my car so maybe the folks with higher mileage are having the problems. I ended up picking up some new washers from a local dealer since so many were complaining, but as I initially suspected they were not necessary. But since I had new ones I went ahead and used them. Using the gasket maker to hold them in place was a great tip.

The top one is new, the bottom is used.

The dark ones are used.

Crush washers aren't meant to be recycled I thought everyone knew that?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Crush washers aren't meant to be recycled I thought everyone knew that?
I'm not sure if everyone knows that but I'm very well aware of it; even says so right in the service manual.

I'm not quite sure if you know based on your post below...
In the installation guide:

4. With the pipe now removed, you should
either transfer over the OEM crush
gaskets
to the new YPipe or install
news ones.
But anyway, I have reused crush gaskets/washers (oil plugs, exhaust, etc.) on my motorcycles and cars over the past 20yrs or so with no issues. These are the first crush gaskets that I can remember replacing. In general I would only replace them if they were damaged. But washers are cheap so it's no big deal to replace them.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by madstylez
I'm not sure if everyone knows that but I'm very well aware of it; even says so right in the service manual.

I'm not quite sure if you know based on your post below...

But anyway, I have reused crush gaskets/washers (oil plugs, exhaust, etc.) on my motorcycles and cars over the past 20yrs or so with no issues. These are the first crush gaskets that I can remember replacing. In general I would only replace them if they were damaged. But washers are cheap so it's no big deal to replace them.
Yeah that is RacingLines' Instructions not mine. You could probably get away with it on an exhaust but I wouldn't recommend it, why risk it when for less than $25 you can get a new set of gaskets. I've never seen a service manual instructing you to reuse crush gaskets ever. Just because you've gotten away with it doesn't mean much, I've reused oil plug crush washers before and "got away" with it but that was because of my own stupidity not thinking ahead.

Once crush washers are crushed that is supposed to be the end of their life span.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Yeah that is RacingLines' Instructions not mine. You could probably get away with it on an exhaust but I wouldn't recommend it, why risk it when for less than $25 you can get a new set of gaskets. I've never seen a service manual instructing you to reuse crush gaskets ever. Just because you've gotten away with it doesn't mean much, I've reused oil plug crush washers before and "got away" with it but that was because of my own stupidity not thinking ahead.

Once crush washers are crushed that is supposed to be the end of their life span.
Agreed. If you look at the simple physics of it, its a ring with a round cross section. Every exhaust pipe will deform it differently and make a new x-sec. No one imprint will be the same.