7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2010 Nav Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM

2010 Nav Update

Just took the max in for the 1st oil change. Told the tech I noticed lots of inaccuracy in the nav. Updated software is now available!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Muslenutz
Just took the max in for the 1st oil change. Told the tech I noticed lots of inaccuracy in the nav. Updated software is now available!!!

Does the dealer have the new software available, or do we have to have it ordered? From Nissan, or a subcontractor? At what cost? What will the installation charge be? Does the update include new street info? I have other questions, but will let those five do for now.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 AM

Does it cost money for the update?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Does the dealer have the new software available, or do we have to have it ordered? From Nissan, or a subcontractor? At what cost? What will the installation charge be? Does the update include new street info? I have other questions, but will let those five do for now.
The procedure for the Nav upgrade goes something like this.
You go online to NavTeq.com
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...gationMenu=YES

Pick your car (2009 Maxima) and purchase the update. What this gets you is not a classic Disk but an authorization code. You then have to take this code to the Dealer, who will perform the upgrade.

The good news? Update costs $129 right now (Honda charges $185 for the disk), the bad news, the dealer will charge you labor to perform the upgrade, even though my 5 year old can do it.

I guess Nissan is really concerned with Disk Piracy for them to go to such an extreme measure. This pretty much kills any chance of "self upgrades".
The upgrade involves a "special nissan laptop" with a connector that hooks up to Compact Flash slot. Then it is a matter of loading latest and greatest combining dealer code and your authorization code from NavTeq.

From NavTeq web site:
"Important Notice: Once your purchase is complete, you will receive an activation code, which is then utilized at your local Nissan Dealer to update your map. A service fee will apply for this installation. The service fee varies by individual dealership. "

Last edited by maxud; 02-02-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Well, it's nice to hear that we at least have a relatively easy/cheap update option so our cars won't be dated in future years. I plan on doing an update next year as I don't think the money is worth it for just one year.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Maxud - Thanks a bunch! I spent quite a bit of time roaming around that site, and found it interesting.

I was concerned that they might be releasing a new version of maps on an ANNUAL basis (everything was that way back in the 'olden' days), and I could end up with the same maps I currently have. But that does not seem to be the case. They are continuously updating their data base almost DAILY, and it seems that when we purchase our authorization code and take it to the dealer, the dealer uses his laptop to download the LATEST map database into our system.

They even have a means for users to report map inaccuracies. They will regret giving that ability to a nosy, meddling do-gooder like me. I will be sending in corrections rather frequently. Like the back road my navi showed in rural SC that I counted on last summer, only to arrive at the road, and find a rusty, dilapidated farm gate blocking a wagon trail that led into a sea of mud which clearly ended at the gate of a pig sty a hundred feet away. I had to backtrack 11 miles and take a circuitous route to get back on course.

I think I may wait until this October, by which time it will have been two years since my car was assembled, and there should have been enough updates to their map data base to make the upgrade really worthwhile.

Thanks again for the good info!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Maxud - Thanks a bunch! I spent quite a bit of time roaming around that site, and found it interesting.

I was concerned that they might be releasing a new version of maps on an ANNUAL basis (everything was that way back in the 'olden' days), and I could end up with the same maps I currently have. But that does not seem to be the case. They are continuously updating their data base almost DAILY, and it seems that when we purchase our authorization code and take it to the dealer, the dealer uses his laptop to download the LATEST map database into our system.

They even have a means for users to report map inaccuracies. They will regret giving that ability to a nosy, meddling do-gooder like me. I will be sending in corrections rather frequently. Like the back road my navi showed in rural SC that I counted on last summer, only to arrive at the road, and find a rusty, dilapidated farm gate blocking a wagon trail that led into a sea of mud which clearly ended at the gate of a pig sty a hundred feet away. I had to backtrack 11 miles and take a circuitous route to get back on course.

I think I may wait until this October, by which time it will have been two years since my car was assembled, and there should have been enough updates to their map data base to make the upgrade really worthwhile.

Thanks again for the good info!
Light,
while you are correct in that you can send them data correction, and that they are continually updating their data (NavTeq), I don't think you are right in that the dealer will download the latest and greatest data from NavTeq.
I think the map updates are still an annual occurrence, where the NavTeq supplies the raw data to whoever manufactures our Nav system and they create map update. I agree it would be nice if it were the case. Did you read something on their site that gave you that impression?
I base my opinion on the infinity map update tech note I read a while ago, that pretty much described to the tech what they are suppose to do for this to happen, as well as the fact that the 2010 map update has only recently become available, while hdd based navigation system in Nissan and Infinity have been manufactured for a few years now. Also, logistically, it would be a nightmare to accomplish (from software developer prospective).
Don't forget that the end user here is a dealer (dumber than a bag of rocks), who has to reprogram your car.
It is bad enough that the guy who sold me the car said that the nav map updates will be downloaded to my car via a satellite.

anywho, glad to have helped,
Max
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Does anyone know if this only updates the map data only? It sounds like it does. It would be nice to get the new graphical interface in a software update...along with XM Weather so that it mimics the interface of the 2010 models.

I guess that's the biggest drawback of buying the 1st year of a new model! LOL.

Thanks,
Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Does anyone know if this only updates the map data only? It sounds like it does. It would be nice to get the new graphical interface in a software update...along with XM Weather so that it mimics the interface of the 2010 models.

I guess that's the biggest drawback of buying the 1st year of a new model! LOL.

Thanks,
I can only speculate about any of it, but it sounds like XM weather would be a combination of software and hardware, so chances are slim to none that you can get that on 2009. As far as new graphics interface, there should not be a technical reason why Nissan can't provide an update, but I doubt they will bother. It sounds like 2010 got a new (reworked) head unit and the new interface was part of it.
I bet it surprised a lot of people that the car got an upgrade in the second year of production. It is tough to stay current with all the technological advances, so Nissan sacrificed 1st year buyers for staying current with the technology.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 PM

2010 Nissan Max = Covered under warranty due to misdirection and location issues
Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Muslenutz
2010 Nissan Max = Covered under warranty due to misdirection and location issues
care to elaborate what you mean? Are you aware of TSB or recall? Is the dealer updating something under warranty?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Was at the dealers' this last Saturday and was told i needed to bring the car in for a free Nav Update. I couldn't wait because there were at least 20 pple ahead of me getting work done. Will be going back sometime this week to get that done.
i have a 2010 SV (premium+Tech package)
Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Question 2009 or 2010 too?

Originally Posted by maxud
The procedure for the Nav upgrade goes something like this.
You go online to NavTeq.com
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...gationMenu=YES

Pick your car (2009 Maxima) and purchase the update. What this gets you is not a classic Disk but an authorization code. You then have to take this code to the Dealer, who will perform the upgrade.

The good news? Update costs $129 right now (Honda charges $185 for the disk), the bad news, the dealer will charge you labor to perform the upgrade, even though my 5 year old can do it.

I guess Nissan is really concerned with Disk Piracy for them to go to such an extreme measure. This pretty much kills any chance of "self upgrades".
The upgrade involves a "special nissan laptop" with a connector that hooks up to Compact Flash slot. Then it is a matter of loading latest and greatest combining dealer code and your authorization code from NavTeq.

From NavTeq web site:
"Important Notice: Once your purchase is complete, you will receive an activation code, which is then utilized at your local Nissan Dealer to update your map. A service fee will apply for this installation. The service fee varies by individual dealership. "

This is just for the 2009, right?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by SlkMax
This is just for the 2009, right?
If you mean update procedure, then it will be the same for 2009 and 2010.
If you mean the map update, I assume that 2010 already has the latest map update, so you would not need to buy it. You can look up via the main display what the year of your current map software is, vs whats available via NavTeq.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 PM

You can look up via the main display what the year of your current map software is, vs whats available via NavTeq.

More good info from maxud! Since my '09 was assembled in Oct of '08, I bet I will find it has the '08 version of maps. Now that the '10 version of maps is available, I could go ahead and order the '10 version and will then have maps that are TWO years newer.

But I will check very carefully before ordering anything.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Only slightly off topic I hope. I have not been able to figure out how to delete previous destinations.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM
TBA

If you mean update procedure, then it will be the same for 2009 and 2010.
If you mean the map update, I assume that 2010 already has the latest map update, so you would not need to buy it. You can look up via the main display what the year of your current map software is, vs whats available via NavTeq.

Is this confirmed? 2010 has an in-dash DVD player vs. 2009's CD-only player. That could make 2010 eligible for nav updates via DVD as with previous gens.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by TBA
Is this confirmed? 2010 has an in-dash DVD player vs. 2009's CD-only player. That could make 2010 eligible for nav updates via DVD as with previous gens.

The navigation.com site maxud referenced has not been updated to show 2010 models of cars. The 2010 Maxima may have an in-dash DVD player, but it may be that Nissan does not want customers to have a dvd with the latest geography on it, as they could let all their friends install the product from that same DVD. Of course Nissan could set the DVD up so that an authorization code would be required, and allow only one usage of that code. But who knows? Maybe maxud?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2010 NAV UPDATE

I took my 2010 Max in to Team Nissan Marietta yesterday, and they updated my navigation system and installed the updated maps.....FREE
Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by afy4u
I took my 2010 Max in to Team Nissan Marietta yesterday, and they updated my navigation system and installed the updated maps.....FREE

Can you check on the display to see which version of the software that you currently have installed??
Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 AM

The navigation.com site maxud referenced has not been updated to show 2010 models of cars. The 2010 Maxima may have an in-dash DVD player, but it may be that Nissan does not want customers to have a dvd with the latest geography on it, as they could let all their friends install the product from that same DVD. Of course Nissan could set the DVD up so that an authorization code would be required, and allow only one usage of that code. But who knows? Maybe maxud?
Sorry guys, I don't have any more info than you in that regard. I would say that if the 2010 still has compact flash slot, chances are that it will still be updated via that and specialized Nissan laptop. There is already infrastructure to support this method. Why would Nissan decide to go back to the disk now?
Like I said before, the price of $125 is much more reasonable that what I would have to pay for Honda's upgrade disk ($185). I just always assumed that the dealer would not charge you to apply it. When you throw a dealers fee into equation, we could be paying 200+, which is insane.
I will live with my current maps for a while. CT does not change too much.
In a few years we will all be using Android/iPhone type phones, which have kick *** navigation and ALWAYS up to date maps from Google anyhow.
Max
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by afy4u
You are probably talking about Service Bulletin NTB09-105, which calls for Navigation System update. It is for an update the the actual navigation software, says nothing about updated maps.
Interesting detail though, the upgrade comes as a set of 3 dvds, each needs to be inserted sequentially. There maybe hope for DVD Disk upgrades after all. (pure speculation on my part).
Max
Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM

I got the Update done, and I believe Maxud is right. It is an update of the software itself. For some reason, the resolution on my Nav screen seems much sharper.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Here is some info I got from the Z forum:

SERVICE INFORMATION
Some of the above applied vehicles may be eligible for a navigation system software update.
• Check Service Comm to confirm update eligibility.
• Eligibility #: NAV01

The following navigation system issues will be resolved by installation of this update:
• System reboots when making a Bluetooth® phone call
• Lock-up when switching regions
• A POI is listed in the wrong city
• POI “Search by City” is not available in select Canadian Provinces
• “House Number Field” is blank during voice destination entry
• “Voice Destination Entry” cancels during “Calculate Route”
• Certain cities are not available in destination “Select a City”
Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Yes it's just a bug fix not a map update.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM

More good info from maxud! Since my '09 was assembled in Oct of '08, I bet I will find it has the '08 version of maps. Now that the '10 version of maps is available, I could go ahead and order the '10 version and will then have maps that are TWO years newer.

But I will check very carefully before ordering anything.
I got the upgrade. $129.00 for the code, free install. The detail map on the left side for intersection detail is bigger, and the time to destination is more accurate. There are new and updated streets on the maps.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by johnsd2
I got the upgrade. $129.00 for the code, free install. The detail map on the left side for intersection detail is bigger, and the time to destination is more accurate. There are new and updated streets on the maps.

Thanks, johnsd2. Did you do this through your dealer? It may be time for me to move on this.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Yes I did it at the dealer and there was no charge for the labor on the install, they told me it was included in the map upgrade. They were told it would take 30 min. by navtec for the time, it actually took about an hour because it checks the nav and the tech has to test drive the car to see if it works ok.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by johnsd2
Yes I did it at the dealer and there was no charge for the labor on the install, they told me it was included in the map upgrade. They were told it would take 30 min. by navtec for the time, it actually took about an hour because it checks the nav and the tech has to test drive the car to see if it works ok.
Thanks a bunch! I use the maps almost every time I get in the car, so need to do this update. Now I need to find a day where I can sit at my dealer for an hour or so.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM

I wish they would do an update for the XM NavTraffic to make it more accurate. It's a useless pile of crap, the traffic updates on my iPhone are better.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know how to delete previous destination from my 2011 Maxima
Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by steoh4bell
Does anyone know how to delete previous destination from my 2011 Maxima
go to settings, it will have delete PREVIOUS destinations, Be careful, you can also delete all the current destinations you have installed, I did it wrong the first time. DUHHHHH...
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM

I received a letter today saying there is an update to the maps on my 2010. They're offering a $50 discount. So, the price is down to $199.00.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 PM

Just checked the site and it appears 2010 and 11 are updated via a five dvd user install process. That is easier......
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by atlanta10
Just checked the site and it appears 2010 and 11 are updated via a five dvd user install process. That is easier......
Much easier...
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 AM

Even though it seems overpriced, I ordered this and should have it by the end of the week. I will be glad to report after I receive it and get it installed.

Glad to serve as a Guinea Pig!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM

I need to get the update too since I have started noticing more and more out of date information. I truly believe that all updates should be free to the original owner of these cars. You can get the same deal with a Tom Tom. Why not with a car that costs north of 30k?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by boone
I need to get the update too since I have started noticing more and more out of date information. I truly believe that all updates should be free to the original owner of these cars. You can get the same deal with a Tom Tom. Why not with a car that costs north of 30k?
I agree. I can buy 2 brand new Garmins/Tom-Tom's for the price of a simple update to this Nav system. Absolutely should be part of the price for original owners. I would even think that the $200 for an update should be a LIFETIME update price! I think they have us right where they wanted us!!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 AM

alot cheaper like stated above to buy a garmin or even Iphone ..my iphone nav is always up to date, no way ill pay the dealer 100-200 for an update which will be outdated again in a year..

i think my next car , i will negotiate free nav update for as long as i own the car. !
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Well - I received and finally got around to installing the update. I must say that I am disappointed. None of the 3-4 year old road changes in the 50,000 population town I live closest to are updated.

The woman's voice from the voice guidance is updated. But the only significant change operationally is that route recalculations are significantly quicker.

I would have been better off getting a new Garmin or TomTom and suggest others go this route instead.

Quick Reply: 2010 Nav Update