7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Has anyone changed that always on orange light above your head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:49 PM
G35

Has anyone changed that always on orange light above your head?

the little orange light that is always on near the dome lights...just curious if anyone has messed with it and changed it...
Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 PM

You are talking about the mood light? There are also two other mood lights; one hidden inside each of the big grip-handles used to close the front doors. Those two shine down on all the window/door-lock switches.

I like the orange/amber color Nissan chose, because it sort of gives a tanned glow to folks sitting in the front seat. If I was into Gothic, I would replace the orange/amber with a cold, bloodless blue and tell folks I was a ghoul. I would then replace my ever-present smile with a menacing sneer. That might be cool. Let me think about that for awhile.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Or perhaps some neon that some like to put on their cars! Yeah right, give me a break! This car is classy enough without any mods, thank you very much!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Or perhaps some Pink to or Rainbow colors to indicate your gender and preference...LOL!

No, I haven't messed with it nor do I intend to, I like the color just the way it is but IMO it would be better if it were a soft red color.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM

is there even a way to change that light?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
is there even a way to change that light?

I'm sure any light in the Maxima can be replaced. Hopefuly, it won't be as bad as the late 1970s Z cars, where replacing the dial light in the radio required completely removing the dashboard.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
You are talking about the mood light? There are also two other mood lights; one hidden inside each of the big grip-handles used to close the front doors. Those two shine down on all the window/door-lock switches.

I like the orange/amber color Nissan chose, because it sort of gives a tanned glow to folks sitting in the front seat. If I was into Gothic, I would replace the orange/amber with a cold, bloodless blue and tell folks I was a ghoul. I would then replace my ever-present smile with a menacing sneer. That might be cool. Let me think about that for awhile.
Ah finally the mystery of "Mood lights" feature is uncovered. Nowhere could I find the description of what it is and where the lights are. Interestingly enough, most manufacturers call the little overhead light - a courtesy light.
I verified that there are two more lights in front door handles. Thanks light for sharing this knowledge.
Max
Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Keep us posted if possible, thanks

I'm sure any light in the Maxima can be replaced. Hopefuly, it won't be as bad as the late 1970s Z cars, where replacing the dial light in the radio required completely removing the dashboard.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Love my '09

I was going to say I'd like mine blue, but not sure I want to voice that after Light's 1st post on this....
Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 AM

I too would prefer a "blueish green." I guess I'm still of the "old school" folks who equate red/orange with "Alerts!" I'll still catch myself noticing this at night and "freak" just a wee bit until I remember that all is well.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 AM

I'm not sure of the exact science, but red background lighting is used in most night time applications (ever been in a ship's control room?). I believe it is the least intrusive color that allows you to see without "masking" the other external views. White light "blinds" you. I'll have to ask my wife as she is, amongst other things, a sailboat delivery captain.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:49 AM

Wink

Now that i think of it; I rather keep the Orange light- I think it looks nice on the white Maximas... thats just me.

Originally Posted by SlkMax
Keep us posted if possible, thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM

Must be a premium thing, the only mood light I have on my SV Sport is the one on the overhead console.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by G35
the little orange light that is always on near the dome lights...
Just some info....That light is not always on. It is on only when the headlamps are on.

Last edited by 67whitegoat; 01-01-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 PM

I'm not sure of the exact science, but red background lighting is used in most night time applications (ever been in a ship's control room?). I believe it is the least intrusive color that allows you to see without "masking" the other external views. White light "blinds" you. I'll have to ask my wife as she is, amongst other things, a sailboat delivery captain

I agree with you, I was watching some doctor show on TV a few months ago and they brought up this point except it was dealing with digital alarm clocks and getting the best sleep at night in a pitch dark room; the doctors said thats its best to have a digital clock with red or orange colors because they are less intrusive on the eyes compared to people with digital clocks that have blue, white, or green lighting and that those latter colors make it more difficult to sleep and switching from bright to dim light is more difficult with blue, white, and green as well

I personally like the orange mood lighting in the maxima; I think it would look kind of weird to put in a white or blue LED up there when all the dash lights are orange to begin with; the colors wouldn't match then!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:33 PM

I have the premiu
package And swear there is not light in the door handles. I havethe one over the console but it is really faint.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by marjen
I have the premiu
package And swear there is not light in the door handles. I havethe one over the console but it is really faint.

Trust me; there are there. They are not near the door HANDLES, they are up underneath the top part of the grips used to close the door. The way to find them is to be in the car at night, let your eyes adjust to the dark interior, and then notice there is a very faint light hitting the window/doorlock switch area; just barely enough to enable you to be able to find and operate the switch you are looking for at night. If you place your hand over these switches, the glow will fall on the back of your hand. Raising your hand while the light is falling on it will enable you to determine exactly where the mood light bulb is hidden.

Yes, the one over the console area is also very faint. This is by intention. The sole purpose is to enable the driver to barely see everything around the console area in what would otherwise be a totally dark interior. When I am driving on a dark road at night, these mood lights are perfect. If they were any brighter, they would begin to intrude on the driver's concentration.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Must be a premium thing, the only mood light I have on my SV Sport is the one on the overhead console.

You are correct. The Mood Lighting comes only with the Premium Package. The light in the overhead console on cars equipped with the Sport Package is not a Mood Light. You are referring to either the map lights or some other indicator light. The Mood light is not apparent unless you know where to look, and gives off a very very dim glow that is not visible unless we are driving in an area where virtually no outside light is entering our car.

EDIT - CORRECTION: smarty666 has reminded me (in a post below) that the non-Premium Maximas actually do have a 'regular' Mood Light, while the Premium Package has 'premium' Mood Lights.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 01-01-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 AM

actually to be more specific, in the S, regular SV, and SV with sport package you get regular mood lighting, which is simply that small little orange light that is on the ceiling near the map lights which illuminates the center console area when the headlights are on; if you get the SV with premium package you get whats called premium mood lighting which is that same little orange overhead light plus you get another set of little orange lights which illuminates the front door handle/window button area on the driver and passenger side
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
actually to be more specific, in the S, regular SV, and SV with sport package you get regular mood lighting, which is simply that small little orange light that is on the ceiling near the map lights which illuminates the center console area when the headlights are on; if you get the SV with premium package you get whats called premium mood lighting which is that same little orange overhead light plus you get another set of little orange lights which illuminates the front door handle/window button area on the driver and passenger side

smarty666 - You are absolutely correct. I had forgotten that there is a 'regular' mood lighting in the non-Premium Maximas. Thank you for gently reminding me of my mis-information. I will correct my original post before it misleads others. 2young2retire was correct in mentioning his orange mood light in the overhead console.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm gonna keep all the interior lighting stock, not much needed there
Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM

I like it when I can't see at night.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 PM

i absolutely LOVE those "mood lights"...

there should be more of them throught out the car.. the level of bright ness is perfect just i think ther should be a few more spots where i'd like them..

i'm thinking of having some added.. not going to overkill on it .. but i could def see 2 or 3 more areas where it would really look nice in my opinion atleast
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM

they are only on when lights are on. You can dim them by dimming interior lights using *** near speedomiter
Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Anyone got a pic of the mood lighting on the door handles?? I never knew that there were differences and would like to see what your talking about.

Thanx in advance..
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM

the orange go wells with the orange on the gauge as well as my display (non nav.)
Old 03-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
the orange go wells with the orange on the gauge as well as my display (non nav.)
agreed; I personally like the orange mood lighting because as you pointed out it complements the red-orangy dash and console lighting the car had; would look really weird putting in a green,blue, or white mood light against the orange dash lights!

I really like the mood lighting, especially when its pitch dark outside because it really helps to see stuff in the car without having to put on the super bright halogen map lights, which blind you terribly when you first put them on!

I hope Nissan, in the coming years, expands the mood lighting to include the front and rear foot wells, along with the rear door handles/armrests!!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM

For those who want to change the led, its a 3mm led in there.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rtitan
For those who want to change the led, its a 3mm led in there.
Thanks... And I'm wanting to change out the orange display. That orange makes me feel cheap... I dunno... but it does. And I wanna go more blues on the interior...
Old 10-27-2014, 04:19 PM

I don't like the brightness of the LCD screen at night. It's distracting to me and even at the lowest level it's still too bright. The only option is to turn it off and I don't want to do that.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 PM

I love the orange mood light in the Maxima. Our Armada has an white white light that is a bit annoying. The orange is perfect for allowing you to see cupholder area without distracting your eyes.