7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Premium Package Dual Panel Roof

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 AM

Premium Package Dual Panel Roof

Is there anyone with the dual panel roof have the cracking and bending noise when going over a pot hole or bump in the road. Or even going over any un even surface? It just sounds like the roof will crack at any moment. I know when I first bought the car is was not making that noise. It seems like it’s getting worse.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Only first thing in the morning. When I pull the car out of the garage it seems to "settle" into place when the back tires go off the edge of the garage slab. It's all good after that.
JP
Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 PM

My moonroof does not make the sounds that you have described. It would be worrisome as the entire structure is brittle glass.

There is at least one other post on this Board that asks the same question. I don't remember the resolution (if any). It was earlier this year perhaps around March.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Not a peep in over ten months from my double-panel roof, but every time I look at this thing closely, I can't help but feel it could be a source of problems if anything was less than absolutely perfectly fitted and adjusted.

In case it enters into the discussion, I do use mine whenever the weather is nice. If traveling at over 35 to 40 MPH, I have to crack the rear door windows slightly to equalize the air pressure, otherwise the wind noise from the roof opening becomes uncomfortably loud.

As a matter of practice, I never put the car in a twisted or torsional situation with this roof partially open, I put it either completely open or closed before twisting the car.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jboss10
Only first thing in the morning. When I pull the car out of the garage it seems to "settle" into place when the back tires go off the edge of the garage slab. It's all good after that.
JP
^ same here. Only seems to happen when I first start driving and not a peep after that.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Yes, I have been experiencing the same exact problem. I posted a message about this in another thread in August so here goes.

I heard the cracking noise over pot holes, on/off the driveway curb, speed bumps, etc in July. Took the car to the Nissan dealership in August. They took down the entire dual panel moonroof and discovered the problem. It was a screw that was supposed to anchor the moonroof that was broken/faulty. They said it was a manufacturer's defect covered by the warranty and it would be replaced. They had the car for a week, offered me a rental and ordered the part from Japan.

Problem solved right?

Well, no. It turns out the part that was ordered did not provide a replacement screw to be swapped for the defective one. It was later discovered that screw was part of the complete dual moonroof assembly and the whole thing needed to be replaced. They had to order a new moonroof which was $5000 and had to be shipped from Japan via freighter which would take 2 weeks to arrive...and that was 'express' or so they claim.

They had to re-assemble my car and return it to me so I could return the rental (boy was I tired of driving that) until the part arrived. When my car was returned to me, it was a complete mess with dirt and finger prints all over as you can probably imagine. The service manager assured me once the car was repaired and prepped, it would look brand new again and I would never notice the difference.

Before they could order the new moonroof, they had to get authorization from Nissan. Before Nissan could give authorization for the order, a Nissan waranty tech was sent to the dealership to make sure it was the dual moonroof that was defective. Once verified, the order was put in to purchase the new roof in September. But the dealership could not replace the part because the Nissan mechanics do not make those kinds of repairs. So they had to employ an outside body mechanic to repair it so the roof will be properly sealed (no leaks). They also had to get approval from Nissan to employ the body mechanic who charged $1500 for the job. All of that was finally squared away on November 4th and they asked me to bring the car back in on November 5th. I did, and I am expecting to receive it tomorrow November 12th.

They also offered me a free oil change...imagine that...lol.

Wish me luck tomorrow. Will let you know how it went.

Last edited by MasterMathias19; 11-11-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 PM

MasterMathias19 - I have a cousin who searches for stories to publish that exemplify the convolutedness of life in the twenty-first century. But we have a problem here. If your saga was published in a book, or made into a movie, no one would believe it. Only here on Maxima.org would you find an audience that knows darn well that every word you wrote was the truth. Stuff like that just can't be made up. Your experience would leave most folks so frustrated they would lose control of their bodily functions.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 AM

I also get a slight "pop" or knock in the morning when I back out the car from the garage slab to the driveway. Usually only happens once a day. Since reading the story above, I think if that is all it does in the morning, I can live with it. I just regard it as the car (named Anna) is getting her morning stretch in as well.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:14 PM

Thank you, now I must take my car to the dealer. Thanks guys for your help.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM

i get that noise and i have only a sun roof it sounds terrible every morning pulling in and out of my driveway
Old 11-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Well that seems to explain the noise I hear in my 2009 Maxima. I actually did a controlled test. I drove a specific path with the moonroof "sunshade" closed. Heard the noise slightly. Re-drove same path w/sunshade open and heard it much more prominently. Based on the posts here it seems that the same issue applies. UGH!
Old 11-13-2009, 07:02 PM

More Moonroof Woes

I had another issue with my moonroof which was FINALLY fixed after 3 visits to the dealer. Details: I used moonroof maybe 10x and then one day while trying to close it, it wouldn't fully close - i.e. it would flip back open. Went outside car and saw that something was sticking out the back (and safety feature kicked in). A part of the moonroof broke off and had slid to the back. Anyway after 3 visits they finally took care of the issue. And get this: one time they told me they fixed it; I went out w/the service adviser to explain what was done; nothing was done! Nothing. Third time was a charm And my boss wasn't too happy about me coming in late for that! see pics

Old 11-14-2009, 08:56 AM

Mine makes the same noise - has since it was new. Still dealing with the moving driver's seat issue, which is way more annoying - this car is more trouble than it is worth, would definitely make a different choice if I had it to do over.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Mine too

So I noticed this same sound starting a couple of weeks ago. I can reproduce it pretty much on-demand by going over a bump (like a driveway transition) while turning. It seems if the car is unbalanced and hits a bump there is a "popping" sound. Had it in for an oil change this AM and the dealership reproduced it too. I'm taking it back in 2 weeks from now so they can have it for the day to start taking things apart. They stated they have no guidance from Nissan on issues and they've never taken apart one of the dual panel roofs before, so who knows how long they'll have it.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Well i'm taking a trip to vermont soon for X-Mas. So my evil plan is to take it around then so they can give me a rental from enterprise. Being as though i made reservation to have a 7 seater suv ( Ford Flex) They will give me what i want. It sucks that i wont be able to have my baby. Hey i may even get lucky and they give me a Maxima rental it wouldnt be the first time.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 AM

UPDATE: Nissan could not delivered my car as promised on November 12th. They offered me a loaner vehicle (brand new 2009 Nissan Sentra...whoopie!) and said they will let me know when it's done. Will post any new information.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 AM

Sorry about that maybe you should ask them to give you something with a little more room. I will be Da$&ed if they gave me something like a sentra and i just brought a $40,000 car.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Since I have the dual panel this makes me nervous. I heard a rattling noise on mine as well, but that edned up being the seatbelt metal banging on the side of the pillar.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by MasterMathias19
UPDATE: Nissan could not delivered my car as promised on November 12th. They offered me a loaner vehicle (brand new 2009 Nissan Sentra...whoopie!) and said they will let me know when it's done. Will post any new information.
Any update on this? Mine went into the shop today and they are already trying to set the expectation that it might just be how a glass roof is and they won't be able to do anything.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

yea i got it to. all you guys that only get a little pop once in a while, it will get worse. I really dont feel like dealing with it, but i have this and the seat rocking, so its time i guess
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM

Yeah i get that annoying pop noise in the morning also as i am pulling out of my driveway, very annoying it is. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side sunroof. Oh Well just another issue we have at hand. I just had my motor go out on the tilt steering wheel. And I'm still getting that noise on the rear suspension which i heard had a recall. Thank god i'm not having problems with the driver seat rails, heard alot of people saying there seat feels loose. I have 16k miles at the moment.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by MaxDOuT
Yeah i get that annoying pop noise in the morning also as i am pulling out of my driveway, very annoying it is. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side sunroof. Oh Well just another issue we have at hand. I just had my motor go out on the tilt steering wheel. And I'm still getting that noise on the rear suspension which i heard had a recall. Thank god i'm not having problems with the driver seat rails, heard alot of people saying there seat feels loose. I have 16k miles at the moment.
Wow man! That is really something else. I have like 2500 miles on my car. so far so good. No problems yet. All these posts makes me feel nervous. I was really hoping to keep this car for a while but if its gonna act up like that then I might just have to trade it in for like a G37 or something more solid...
Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 AM

Help MAY be on the way with the roof. According to my service shop, a brand new TSB was just released for this issue and they are pursuing the fix. I didn't get the TSB info. yet but will post info. when I have it, as well as how affective it was in resolving the issue.

tonylittell is correct, it gets worse and worse. Mine does it all the time now, so I'm praying they actually have a fix for it, as it drives me nuts!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by traderumors
Help MAY be on the way with the roof. According to my service shop, a brand new TSB was just released for this issue and they are pursuing the fix. I didn't get the TSB info. yet but will post info. when I have it, as well as how affective it was in resolving the issue.

tonylittell is correct, it gets worse and worse. Mine does it all the time now, so I'm praying they actually have a fix for it, as it drives me nuts!
I have one way to fix the problem???? Get a SV with out Dual Panel sunroof! that's what I am getting in Jan!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by fguills
I have one way to fix the problem???? Get a SV with out Dual Panel sunroof! that's what I am getting in Jan!
Wanted the premium package with the upgraded leather, color display w/backup monitor and memory seats and couldn't get it without the dual panel roof, (2009) of course!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:43 AM

This what's in the Sports package 2010
  • Sport-tuned suspension
  • 19" x 8.0" aluminum-alloy hyper-silver finish wheels with P245/40R19 V-rated all-season tires
  • Rear spoiler
  • Trunk chassis reinforcement
  • High Intensity Discharge (HID) xenon headlights
  • Heated outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature
  • Auto-dimming driver-side outside mirror
  • Premium leather-appointed seats
  • Heated front seats
  • Parallel-seamed heated premium leather-wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters
  • Parallel-seamed leather-wrapped shift ****
  • Power tilt/telescoping steering column
  • Memory System – driver’s seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors (two settings, remote control-activated)
  • Driver’s seat entry/exit system
  • Rear bucket seats (3-passenger capacity) with large fold-down center armrest
  • Rear-seat trunk pass-through (replaces 60/40 split fold-down seats)
  • Metallic-link trim (replaces piano-dot trim)
    This package is not available with Premium Package.
You can include Sport with Tech also
Nissan Hard Drive Navigation System with 7.0" VGA touch-screen monitor and voice recognition
XM NavTraffic® and XM NavWeather™ [1]
Zagat Survey® restaurant reviews
Streaming audio via Bluetooth® wireless technology [2]
9.3 GB Music Box hard drive for digital music storage and playback
DVD playback capability

This package Monitor Package. Single-CD player replaces in-dash 6-CD changer. Digital compass in rearview mirror is deleted with this package.

Last edited by fguills; 12-02-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM

• Premuim package 2010
  • Dual Panel Moonroof with power retractable sunshades (replaces power sliding moonroof)
  • Rear-window power sunshade
  • Climate-controlled driver’s seat (heated and cooled)
  • Premium mood lighting
  • Rear door windows one-touch auto-up/down
  • Rear-seat air conditioning and audio controls
  • Eucalyptus wood-tone trim (replaces piano-dot trim)
  • Information Center with 7.0" color monitor
  • RearView Monitor [1]
  • 2 GB Music Box™ flash drive for digital music storage and playback
  • USB connectivity (iPod® compatible)
  • Auxiliary audio/video input jacks in center console [3] (replaces audio input jack located on head unit)
  • iPod® storage net inside center console
  • Trunk chassis reinforcement
  • High Intensity Discharge (HID) xenon headlights
  • Heated outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature
  • Auto-dimming driver-side outside mirror
  • Premium leather-appointed seats
  • Heated front seats
  • Parallel-seamed heated premium leather-wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters
  • Parallel-seamed leather-wrapped shift ****
  • Power tilt/telescoping steering column
  • Memory System – driver’s seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors (two settings, remote control-activated)
  • Driver’s seat entry/exit system
  • Rear bucket seats (3-passenger capacity) with large fold-down center armrest
  • Rear-seat trunk pass-through (replaces 60/40 split fold-down seats)
Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 AM

We're a bit off topic, but I do like the additional flexibility that the 2010 offers. I wouldn't have needed to buy the premium package had they had those additional packages last year. For last year, the only way to get what I wanted was the Premium, so Premium it was!

Whatever you do, get the rear view camera, it is impossible to tell where the back end is on this car without it!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Whatever you do, get the rear view camera, it is impossible to tell where the back end is on this car without it!

Had the rear view camera not been available, I might have had to leave Maxima, because visibility to the rear of the 7th gen without it is pretty much a 'get out of the car and walk around back and look before backing up' kind of thing. At my age, I don't need that.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:03 AM

Wanted the premium package with the upgraded leather, color display w/backup monitor and memory seats and couldn't get it without the dual panel roof, (2009) of course!
Unless you got a Sport/Tech...
Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by ratdoc
Unless you got a Sport/Tech...
I actually talked to the sales rep about that (before even mentioning the premium package) and the stated that their experience last winter was the sport package was a bad match for the WI winters, otherwise I probably would've went with that.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 AM

I actually talked to the sales rep about that (before even mentioning the premium package) and the stated that their experience last winter was the sport package was a bad match for the WI winters, otherwise I probably would've went with that.
Well, that doesn't seem to make any sense. Did he say why? What is there about a tighter suspension and 19" rims that would make the car more difficult to handle in winter?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ratdoc
Well, that doesn't seem to make any sense. Did he say why? What is there about a tighter suspension and 19" rims that would make the car more difficult to handle in winter?
If I remember correctly it was more about the stock tires being performance based and therefore bad performers in snow. So I suppose had i been willing to invest in some winter tires it might have worked out. Since I found this site AFTER I bought, I couldn't ask people on here how the Sport handled in winter, which is what I would've done.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 PM

Luckily for me I bought a Sport/Tech demo that included 18 inch alloys and winter tires. Other than the tires, there should be no difference between the Sport/Premium. I would not be caught dead in the snow with the 19 inch performance tires! I am however, in Toronto, Canada (lots of snow).
Old 12-03-2009, 05:24 PM

If I remember correctly it was more about the stock tires being performance based and therefore bad performers in snow. So I suppose had i been willing to invest in some winter tires it might have worked out. Since I found this site AFTER I bought, I couldn't ask people on here how the Sport handled in winter, which is what I would've done.
Maybe he was talking about the optional summer tires instead of the standard "all-season" tires - which I believe are Goodyear Eagles on both the Premiums and the Sports. Anyway, I'm sure I'll find out just how good or bad things are in a couple of weeks at the most...
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Just got the Max back today. Actually, got it back on Saturday after an entire month of repair, but I refused to pick it up because the interior was absolutely filthy. The dealer promised to detail it and it actually looks okay. That's the end of the good news.

Now for the bad. The shop that replaced the roof left scratches all over the roof and left one on the passenger side door. Big surprise. If i had seen it earlier today I would have left the damn thing there. Oh yeah, they also placed the sunroof antennae backwards, and the sunroof does not open and close automatically. You have to hold it down to open and close. There is also a bit of a rattle coming from the top. Big surprise.

Now it has to go back tomorrow before the say I caused it. Unfortunately only a paint job will resolve the issue.

Contacting a Lemon Law attorney tomorrow to try to get a replacement vehicle or my money returned.

Will post pics tomorrow. Too pissed to do it today.

Last edited by MasterMathias19; 12-08-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Just got the Max back today. Actually, got it back on Saturday after an entire month of repair, but I refused to pick it up because the interior was absolutely filthy. The dealer promised to detail it and it actually looks okay. That's the end of the good news.

Now for the bad. The shop that replaced the roof left scratches all over the roof and left one on the passenger side door. Big surprise. If i had seen it earlier today I would have left the damn thing there. Oh yeah, they also placed the sunroof antennae backwards, and the sunroof does not open and close automatically. You have to hold it down to open and close. There is also a bit of a rattle coming from the top. Big surprise.

Now it has to go back tomorrow before the say I caused it. Unfortunately only a paint job will resolve the issue.

Contacting a Lemon Law attorney tomorrow to try to get a replacement vehicle or my money returned.

Will post pics tomorrow. Too pissed to do it today.
I'm sorry to hear about your woes. If by lemon law, you believe that the roof is fubar forever, I agree with you. But you need to give the dealer three shots to make it right or no lemonade.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM

It has been three times already. First in August for 2 weeks. Then September for 1 week. Then November for 4 weeks. Now they want to send a sun roof specialist in from Franklin, TN to check it out per the Regional Specialist currently working on my case.

I've had my car in for repair for 7 weeks and I have only owned the car for 7 months.

Not to mention they did not repair the front end noise and rocking seat issues. Now they have to send my car back to the auto body dealer to repair the sunroof, fix the antennae and paint the roof and door of the car. Then I have to take it back to the dealership to have the sunroof programmed to slide automatically and tilt. Then I have to take it back in for sunroof specialst in from TN to troubleshoot the rattling noise the sunroof is now making.

Seriously.

A new car?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 PM

It has been three times already. First in August for 2 weeks. Then September for 1 week. Then November for 4 weeks. Now they want to send a sun roof specialist in from Franklin, TN to check it out per the Regional Specialist currently working on my case.

I've had my car in for repair for 7 weeks and I have only owned the car for 7 months.

A new car?
Nissan will not advise you on your Lemon Law rights. You are under no obligation to have them continually repair the auto. I suspect, as you do, that it will never be right.

Most States have a Lemon Law on the books. I suggest you contact a Lemon Law lawyer. If your case is solid, they lawyer will take it on. In most States, the car company must pay for your lawyer.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Not to mention they did not repair the front end noise and rocking seat issues. Now they have to send my car back to the auto body dealer to repair the sunroof, fix the antennae and paint the roof and door of the car. Then I have to take it back to the dealership to have the sunroof programmed to slide automatically and tilt. Then I have to take it back in for sunroof specialst in from TN to troubleshoot the rattling noise the sunroof is now making.

Seriously.

A new car?
Which dealer is doing the repair? I am having an issue with my dealer and getting them to fix anything.

Quick Reply: Premium Package Dual Panel Roof