7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Dumb iPod question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Dumb iPod question...

No, I don't know anything at all about iPods, Apple products, or how they interface with the Max. There, I admitted it.

But, I'm hoping to learn. I'd like to get an iPod for my wife that will be used exclusively in the '09 Max. Am I correct in thinking that any of the models will work with the Nav screen and charge if I add a charging adapter? I'm leaning to the Classic just for the capacity, but I'd love to hear what others are using since I don't know what all the relevant issues are.

Anyway, thanks much in advance.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I heard some of the 1st gen touch ipods were having issues, but usually these problems are worked out and the dealer gets the updates. I had this problem with my 2009 MB C350, where my IPOD wouldnt charge with the interface cable. Apple typically addresses these issues quickly.

Honestly, I don't think you'll run into any issues. I have a 1st Gen Nano and the latest Nano and use both of them in my car without any problems.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ratdoc
No, I don't know anything at all about iPods, Apple products, or how they interface with the Max. There, I admitted it.

But, I'm hoping to learn. I'd like to get an iPod for my wife that will be used exclusively in the '09 Max. Am I correct in thinking that any of the models will work with the Nav screen and charge if I add a charging adapter? I'm leaning to the Classic just for the capacity, but I'd love to hear what others are using since I don't know what all the relevant issues are.

I have three different ipods, and have tried all of them in the car.

4th Gen (music only, monochrome screen) Ipod: Plays fine, charges fine, but when the car is shut off, it will not fall asleep, so the Ipod will stay "awake" all night until it's battery runs down.

5th Gen (Music and Video) Ipod: Plays fine, charges fine, sleeps after a minute or so, no problems.

Classic 160Gb Ipod: Plays fine, charges fines, sleeps after a minute or so, no problems.
Most importantly NO CHARGING ADAPTER NEEDED.

So if you are getting here the classic you should be ready for the Maxima right out of the box. Merry Christmas.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 AM

I too have an iPod Classic dedicated to my Max and only take it out when I add new AudioBooks. In Florida, the Sun gets mighty toasty and yet, no issues. I highly recommend it.

Now, in Illinois with their Winters...I just don't know how it handles the 500 degrees below zero days I used to experince up there.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 AM

My 80 GB classic works perfectly with it.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. Just the info I needed.

LtLeary - as they say on The Simpsons, "Welcome to Chicago, the Miami of Canada" - and having spent several years in Fargo, winters here are a piece of cake (at least until you get spoiled by Florida, eh?).
Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 AM
TBA

iPod Touch 1st Gen also works fine; charges, sleeps, plays.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 AM

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. Just the info I needed.

LtLeary - as they say on The Simpsons, "Welcome to Chicago, the Miami of Canada" - and having spent several years in Fargo, winters here are a piece of cake (at least until you get spoiled by Florida, eh?).
For sure...when It gets below 70 we wear coats with our shorts and flip-flops!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm in the same boat - but looking at the responses - the classic looks like the way to go! It really sux that all of my MP3 cd's CANNOT be downloaded to the music box ... they really need to fix that!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Is the iPod interface on the Nav screen the same regardless of which model is plugged in? I'm guessing it probably is, eh?