7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Intetlligent Key Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 AM

Nobody knows for sure if the covers will solve this issue.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
Nobody knows for sure if the covers will solve this issue.
I was pondering that this morning. If it is an issue of the buttons being pressed against your leg and/or outside of pants then I was thinking the cover would work perfectly. But, if it is an issue of keys pressing against the fob then I am thinking it might still not work out so well. Fortunately this isn't a high priced item and will hopefully reduce the chance of this ever happening again.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I normally try to keep my fob separate of anything else. My other keys I leave in the console and the fob is the only thing I carry.. Just once I accidently set off the panic alarm.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
No known way to disable it. Another reason I am getting the covers.

One good thing - If you accidentally unlock your car from an accidental push of the intelligent key, the car will automatically re-lock itself after one minute if it detects no door opening.
However it will not automatically close the windows back up, OR close the trunk lid for you. Which is what I seem to accidentally set off the most. I guess I could turn off the Trunk Release Cancel Switch in the glove box, but that may be just as bothersome then.
thanks. Its sad that theres no way to disable the window thing, it can really mess up my car with the upcoming season. seems to be bringing more harm than good so we should've been given the option to disable it. I'll contact a dealer to see if they can do anything about it if key cover mentioned in this post doesn't work for me.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM

And I thought it was just me!

I don't wear tight pants, but I seem to set off the panic alarm every time. I've taken it off my key ring, changed pockets, and still set off the alarm. I've just started keeping it in a shirt pocket and haven't had an alarm with it there, but I'm not comfortable keeping it there.

I ordered a cover as soon as I read this, so I'll post how it works when I get it.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Understanding that ANY object pressed against a keyfob button will trigger that button, I make sure I NEVER carry ANYTHING else in the pocket with the keyfob. I think that is probably the main reason I have never accidentally triggered the fob. Carrying the fob on a keychain with keys on it inside a pocket is an almost guaranteed way to accidentally trigger the fob.

If I absolutely HAD to have the fob on a keychain with other keys, etc, I would find or make a sheath that I could slide the fob into. The sheath would be firm enough to block accidental triggering of the buttons.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:39 PM

intelligent key message

Started my Max today and there's a key picture in the display area saying it has half battery life (I guess). It's there every time the car is started for about 10 seconds. I can't find anything about this in the huge manual. Does anyone know why this is illuminating (other than the obvious) and how to get rid of it? Thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by rkurlander
Started my Max today and there's a key picture in the display area saying it has half battery life (I guess). It's there every time the car is started for about 10 seconds. I can't find anything about this in the huge manual. Does anyone know why this is illuminating (other than the obvious) and how to get rid of it? Thanks
Time to go to your local radio shack and replace the battery.

Page 8-24 or there abouts in the Owners Manual.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM

I have a question. Say you stop at a 7-11 to grab a cup of cofee and the key fob is in your pocket when you go into the store, what if someone jumps into your vehicle if you didn't lock the doors and pushed the push start and drove away with your vehicle. How far away does your car fob need to be away from the vehicle for this to happen?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by DConrad2007
I have a question. Say you stop at a 7-11 to grab a cup of cofee and the key fob is in your pocket when you go into the store, what if someone jumps into your vehicle if you didn't lock the doors and pushed the push start and drove away with your vehicle. How far away does your car fob need to be away from the vehicle for this to happen?
The car can detect if the fob is not in the passenger area of the car and will refuse to start when it's not inside the car. Try it yourself, set your fob outside on the ground, close the door and attempt to start the car.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by DConrad2007
On the same topic (sorta), let's say you get car jacked. You leave the car with the fob in your pocket. How far will the car continue to work without the fob?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by TooTawl
On the same topic (sorta), let's say you get car jacked. You leave the car with the fob in your pocket. How far will the car continue to work without the fob?
My understanding is that the car will continue to run until the ignition is turned off (or it runs out of gas) - then it can't be restarted without the fob.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ratdoc
My understanding is that the car will continue to run until the ignition is turned off (or it runs out of gas) - then it can't be restarted without the fob.

That is also the way I see this. The car will beep three times inside the cabin as the perp pulls away, due to the fact the fob has 'left the car', but the ignition will not shut off until the driver shuts it off. At that point, the car is dead forever, unless the fob is brought back to the car.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 PM

The car can detect if the fob is not in the passenger area of the car and will refuse to start when it's not inside the car. Try it yourself, set your fob outside on the ground, close the door and attempt to start the car.

Sam is right on target. Although I have successfully locked the car doors with the fob from 300 feet away (ideal conditions), the fob must be outside the car, and within 80 centimeters (one yard) of the door lock before the lock/unlock button built into the door handle will operate, and, just as 09Maxima_Sam said, the fob MUST be INSIDE the car in order to start the car.

Also, if you leave the fob with your wife inside the car, then try to lock the doors using the button in the outside door handle, there will be three beeps telling you you are doing something wrong (potentially locking your fob in the car), and the car will NOT lock the doors. That is unless the car detects a SECOND fob OUTSIDE the car.

Once we master all the nuances of this fob, we are pre-certified as Rocket Scientists.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:48 AM

I have come out to my car numerous times only to find the trunk unlocked, but luckily not opened. and I carry my keys on a hook on my belt loop. Ive tried carrying them in my front pocket also with same result, so I think until I I get an aftermarket alarm system, I just cant put a system or anything else worth jacking into my ride

I am sooooo glad that I am not the only one with this problem, I was about to go to the dealer and ***** about having a disfunctional alarm system, I seriously thought it was just unlocking on its own due to a bad relay or something lol
Old 10-17-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by shatterpruf
I have come out to my car numerous times only to find the trunk unlocked, but luckily not opened. and I carry my keys on a hook on my belt loop. Ive tried carrying them in my front pocket also with same result, so I think until I I get an aftermarket alarm system, I just cant put a system or anything else worth jacking into my ride

I am sooooo glad that I am not the only one with this problem, I was about to go to the dealer and ***** about having a disfunctional alarm system, I seriously thought it was just unlocking on its own due to a bad relay or something lol

You can turn off the trunk release, by turning off the switch in the glove box. It works for all methods of electronically open the trunk though.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by rkurlander

Funny thing after I made my earlier response to you, mine started doing it too, when I was out and about this morning. Guess I need to stop off and pick up a battery too. Of course there is no message when I use my wife's keyfob to start the car.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Got my covers today, here are 2 pics that I took of it. I believe that they will improve my accidental activation issues.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 PM

I couldn't help but notice your fob is on a key chain with other keys, etc. My wife's fob is also on a key chain. Whenever we are in her vehicle and I am carrying her fob, I always fold everything else on the chain back against the side of the fob that has no buttons before slipping it carefully to the bottom of my pocket. If folded against the button side, sitting down will cause buttons to be depressed.

Those fob covers look very neat. They were obviously designed for this exact fob. I am thinking of getting two - a light blue one for my school (UNC-Chapel Hill) and an orange one for my wife's school (Auburn).
Old 10-20-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I couldn't help but notice your fob is on a key chain with other keys, etc. My wife's fob is also on a key chain. Whenever we are in her vehicle and I am carrying her fob, I always fold everything else on the chain back against the side of the fob that has no buttons before slipping it carefully to the bottom of my pocket. If folded against the button side, sitting down will cause buttons to be depressed.

Those fob covers look very neat. They were obviously designed for this exact fob. I am thinking of getting two - a light blue one for my school (UNC-Chapel Hill) and an orange one for my wife's school (Auburn).
Yes I know what you are talking about, as far as folding them over. However the keys will move around in your pocket and change location. Most of the time I end up with a key sticking me in my **** or leg, depending on which pocket I use.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM

Is that working out for you from what you can tell so far? To me since it is rubber I have the opinion that if enough pressure is put on the thing sections of silicone between the buttons then it wouldn't help with protecting you from hitting the buttons...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Is that working out for you from what you can tell so far? To me since it is rubber I have the opinion that if enough pressure is put on the thing sections of silicone between the buttons then it wouldn't help with protecting you from hitting the buttons...

The BEST that can be hoped for these fob covers is to REDUCE the unintended activations. Any key or object that happens to press directly against a fob button, without contacting the cover first, will not be rejected by this cover. If this cover can reduce the false triggers by half, I would think it would be worth using.

One advantage of these rubber covers that I haven't seen mentioned here is 'drop protection.' Dropping these fobs on a hard surface can make them inoperable. The rubber cover will give just enough cushion that would probably protect most dropped fobs.

Yet one more advantage of these covers is visibility. If a black fob is dropped between a charcoal seat and a black console, and falls down onto charcoal carpet, unless the lighting is very good, it is difficult to spot. But a brightly or lightly colored fob cover would be easy to spot.

Also, it is nice to have different color covers on the two fobs, especially if they belong to two different drivers.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 AM

Also, it is nice to have different color covers on the two fobs, especially if they belong to two different drivers.
Do the Nissan ikeys come with quick release clasps that are tinted different colors like the Infiniti version? It looks like the metal object hanging from the ikey (engraved INFINTI) in the picture on post 30.

They were tinted different colors to make then easy to ID.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by terrycs
Do the Nissan ikeys come with quick release clasps that are tinted different colors like the Infiniti version? It looks like the metal object hanging from the ikey (engraved INFINTI) in the picture on post 30.

They were tinted different colors to make then easy to ID.

My two fobs are exactly alike. The first thing I did was to paint a barely visible '1' on the back of one and a barely visible '2' on the back of the other. The removable keys in each of the two fobs are also precisely alike. No colors other than black plastic and silver metal on either of these fobs and removable keys.

My fobs came from my dealer attached only to a cheap thin wire ring, which held on a little tag on which the dealer simply wrote basic info about the car.

The black key attached to the Nissan fob in the photos in this thread actually looks to me like a Saturn key.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:11 AM

Yep that is the key to my wife's 2006 Saturn Vue.

So far since I have had the cover on, I have had ZERO false button activations. However the addition of the cover, does seem to make my pocket contents even "feel" more bulky. Also since adding the cover you are no longer able to use the "key port" in the car. Sometimes when I get in the car with the keys in hand, I struggle to find a place to put them down at. Soon when winter and coat wearing weather comes about, then I will keep my keys inside a coat pocket.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 AM

Yep that is the key to my wife's 2006 Saturn Vue.

So far since I have had the cover on, I have had ZERO false button activations. However the addition of the cover, does seem to make my pocket contents even "feel" more bulky. Also since adding the cover you are no longer able to use the "key port" in the car. Sometimes when I get in the car with the keys in hand, I struggle to find a place to put them down at. Soon when winter and coat wearing weather comes about, then I will keep my keys inside a coat pocket.
This may sound weird......does the cover make things more difficult when trying to take the keys out of your pocket?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 PM

Not difficult to take out of my pocket (but I usually wear dress pants that are baggy), I have had my fob cover for about a week. It is a little bit more bulky in my pocket, but not uncomfortable. I have noticed that the silicone will pick up lint in your pocket. I find myself from time to time picking things off of it. But it is well worth the hassel. I have dropped my fob twice since I put the cover on and no scratches. Awesome!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:19 PM

My two fobs are exactly alike. The first thing I did was to paint a barely visible '1' on the back of one and a barely visible '2' on the back of the other. The removable keys in each of the two fobs are also precisely alike. No colors other than black plastic and silver metal on either of these fobs and removable keys.

My fobs came from my dealer attached only to a cheap thin wire ring, which held on a little tag on which the dealer simply wrote basic info about the car.

The black key attached to the Nissan fob in the photos in this thread actually looks to me like a Saturn key.
I guess the obvious way to tell two of them apart is by looking at the attached house/office keys.

I feel sorry for the valet dude though ... no attached keys AND no key ring to hang the ikey up or to attach a tag to!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM

I guess the obvious way to tell two of them apart is by looking at the attached house/office keys.

I feel sorry for the valet dude though ... no attached keys AND no key ring to hang the ikey up or to attach a tag to!

Talk about a difference in lifestyles; in sixty years of driving, no valet has ever touched a vehicle of mine, and no valet ever will touch a vehicle of mine. I would walk from miles away before I allowed a valet to touch my car. Working in Los Angeles and NYC twice each, as well as thirty years in downtown Atlanta, I have seen far too many times how other folks cars are driven by valet drivers. It ain't pretty.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Talk about a difference in lifestyles; in sixty years of driving, no valet has ever touched a vehicle of mine, and no valet ever will touch a vehicle of mine. I would walk from miles away before I allowed a valet to touch my car. Working in Los Angeles and NYC twice each, as well as thirty years in downtown Atlanta, I have seen far too many times how other folks cars are driven by valet drivers. It ain't pretty.
Trust me, they don't get my car either ... I just said I felt sorry for them!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 PM

A previous thread mentioned being worried that their trunk was unlocked.

Unless I misunderstood I dont think that is an issue. Once I lock the car the trunk locks as well. What I did notice was that with the key fob in my pocket I was able to open the trunk.

I moved the fob to a spot several feet away from the car and found the trunk to be locked.

As far as I can tell the trunk will only open if you have the key fob in your pocket or close by once you lock the doors with the key fob..
Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I am happy to report that my problem with accidental trunk releases and panic button presses seems to be a thing of the past. I've had a rubber jacket from thejacketstore.com installed for a couple of weeks now. I've had zero issues. Your mileage may vary but this took care of my issue.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by baker714
I moved the fob to a spot several feet away from the car and found the trunk to be locked.

As far as I can tell the trunk will only open if you have the key fob in your pocket or close by once you lock the doors with the key fob..

Yep. Nissan says the outside trunk latch can be operated operate if you have the fob outside the car, and within 18 inches of the trunk latch. I use the outside trunk release very often, and I have found it works when the fob is within 24 inches of the latch, and sometimes works with the fob up to 36 inches away.

This works exactly like the lock/unlock buttons in the outside front door handles.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by boone
I am happy to report that my problem with accidental trunk releases and panic button presses seems to be a thing of the past. I've had a rubber jacket from thejacketstore.com installed for a couple of weeks now. I've had zero issues. Your mileage may vary but this took care of my issue.
I too have experienced moderate success with the rubber jacket. Only one false activation since I have had it on.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM

I usually keep my car keys separate until I am safe distance away from the car and keep it in a safe place at home so the baby doesn't get a hold of it. But I do agree, it is easy to unlock or roll down the windows this key. I wished that nissan would reduce the distance between the key and car, so that you don't accidental trip the remote.

manoj

Last edited by ManojK; 11-05-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ManojK
I usually keep my car keys separate until I am safe distance away from the car and keep it in a safe place at home so the baby doesn't get a hold of it. But I do agree, it is easy to unlock or roll down the windows this key. I wished that nissan would reduce the distance between the key and car, so that you don't accidental trip the remote.

manoj
You should try the covers, I think you will find them an improvement.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM

Funny, I also had a 2006 M35x and never had a problem. I also had a 2003 M45 and came out one day IN THE RAIN - to find ALL my windows down! That was NOT fun.

So far with the Max, I've already had the trunk pop TWICE and the windows down once -- I'll definitely be getting one of those covers!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by djdez
Funny, I also had a 2006 M35x and never had a problem. I also had a 2003 M45 and came out one day IN THE RAIN - to find ALL my windows down! That was NOT fun.

So far with the Max, I've already had the trunk pop TWICE and the windows down once -- I'll definitely be getting one of those covers!
Curious about the range of the i-key .. how far away were you from the car(s)?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Curious about the range of the i-key .. how far away were you from the car(s)?
Believe it or not - my car was parked outside a 'loft' in the city, and I was up on the 3rd Floor -- now, it COULD have happened as I was walking up there, with the keys in my pocket, who knows ... but even if I was right at the window up there - I'd have to say at least 75 feet away from the car!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 AM

I wish

I wish Nissan would offer a "micro fob" that would only allow the car to be started. No internal key, no buttons, just the electronics to allow the car to start. It would be small, easy to carry and eliminate the possibility of accidental operation of windows and trunk. It would, of course, have the electronics necessary to allow the door to open using the button on the door handle and to open the trunk using the touch pad.

Last edited by 2young2retire; 11-10-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Intetlligent Key Annoyance