7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Is Nissan ester oil "technically" better for 7th gen if price is NOT considered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 AM

Is Nissan ester oil "technically" better for 7th gen if price is NOT considered?

I know there's been a bunch of threads related to the ester and I sure don't want to beat any dead horses here. Just want to get opinions on whether people think the Nissan ester-based oil is "technically" better for our engines long-term than other alternatives if price of it was not a consideration. I'm sure, like others have said, we could probably put dino in our cars from day one and drive happily to 100K and well beyond, but I'm more curious about if the ester oil is still actually protecting better or doing a better job with not allowing those key parts of our engines to wear as much as they would otherwise because I plan on driving this cars until the wheels fall off....then put new ones on.

I guess I'm at somewhat of a crossroads with my decision. I changed my oil for the first time at 1200 miles and put Castrol GTX 10W-30 in it because of how well it seemed to do in the oil tests posted and other members who seemed to like it. I'm just trying to decide what I want to do from here on out. I'm such an **** kind of guy about these things, if I could be shown that the ester oil was technically still the best option, I still may bite the bullet and buy it for the life of my car. I do my own oil changes so at least I'd be saving some $$ on the labor part. But I certainly don't want to throw $$ away either.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rawbutt
I know there's been a bunch of threads related to the ester and I sure don't want to beat any dead horses here. Just want to get opinions on whether people think the Nissan ester-based oil is "technically" better for our engines long-term than other alternatives if price of it was not a consideration. I'm sure, like others have said, we could probably put dino in our cars from day one and drive happily to 100K and well beyond, but I'm more curious about if the ester oil is still actually protecting better or doing a better job with not allowing those key parts of our engines to wear as much as they would otherwise because I plan on driving this cars until the wheels fall off....then put new ones on.
I think ester oil is "technically" better for the engine. But so is using synthetic oil and changing oil every 300 miles. Fill-up with gas, change the oil.

Where is it written that the VQ engine needs to be babied in order to get 200k miles of life? Engines are tough. Death or premature demise caused by poor lubrication requires gross neglect.

However, the use of ester oil will have a very positive effect on the profitability of the stealership.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by CT Maxima
However, the use of ester oil will have a very positive effect on the profitability of the stealership.
Actually the dealership pays a high price for Ester oil they aren't making a dime on it... Which is why many sell alternatives to Ester oil which they do make money on.

Also when did it become such a crime to make money, isn't that the reason dealerships exist? Just think if they were all company owned you want to talk about a screwing no one would have any choices.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 AM

I guess I'm at somewhat of a crossroads with my decision. I changed my oil for the first time at 1200 miles and put Castrol GTX 10W-30 in it because of how well it seemed to do in the oil tests posted and other members who seemed to like it. I'm just trying to decide what I want to do from here on out. I'm such an **** kind of guy about these things, if I could be shown that the ester oil was technically still the best option, I still may bite the bullet and buy it for the life of my car. I do my own oil changes so at least I'd be saving some $$ on the labor part. But I certainly don't want to throw $$ away either.

Thanks in advance!
No one could possible know at this point, I think it's probably slightly better than plain dino oil like your GTX but how much better? If your that tight with your finances stick with GTX.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Actually the dealership pays a high price for Ester oil they aren't making a dime on it... Which is why many sell alternatives to Ester oil which they do make money on.

Also when did it become such a crime to make money, isn't that the reason dealerships exist? Just think if they were all company owned you want to talk about a screwing no one would have any choices.
Did someone tell you that they don't make a dime on ester oil? How is this possible? The stealership can set any price they want. They probably (wink, wink) account for the profit elsewhere.

I am an advocate of making money. If you can make boatloads of it, bully for you. Where I draw the line is earning money on fear, innuendo and misleading statements. The majority of Americans know that stepping into a stealership is fraught with danger. You are the Mark and their job is to separate you from your money. I suspect if the dealers were company owned, these horrific practices would stop. They have a brand to protect.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM

From my understanding, Ester Oil is more beneficial for the VQ37. For my first Oil Change they put in the Ester Oil which I only allowed because my dealership gives you free first oil change (Ooooooooo Ahhhhhhhhh) I will be changing my oil after this from a third part shop with Amsoil Synthetic. I see no advantages to running the Ester Oil over a Synthetic unless compression becomes the main focus. Until then, no ester for me.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM

Did someone tell you that they don't make a dime on ester oil? How is this possible? The stealership can set any price they want. They probably (wink, wink) account for the profit elsewhere.

I am an advocate of making money. If you can make boatloads of it, bully for you. Where I draw the line is earning money on fear, innuendo and misleading statements. The majority of Americans know that stepping into a stealership is fraught with danger. You are the Mark and their job is to separate you from your money. I suspect if the dealers were company owned, these horrific practices would stop. They have a brand to protect.
Well considering I can purchase it cheaper at my dealership versus online should be a clue, also the dealership can't charge any amount they want, they don't have free rein to just charge whatever they please what world do you live in? As you stated if Nissan owned all of the dealerships they would "protect the name" well the same goes for franchises they do have rules if they want to continue and sell Nissan products, if they don't Nissan will cancel their franchise license.

The local Nissan dealership is bound to the same contractual guidelines as any other type of franchise, i.e. McDonalds, which is why you don't see $25.00 big macs in Malibu.

You assume that all dealers are bad and just in business to steal from the consumer, let me tell you if you had any experience running a business that is the last thing you want to do. I've had some bad ones in years past and presently I have more than a couple that are awesome and go out of their way to take care of my needs. In the end the free market tends to take care of those "bad dealers" but to label ALL dealers as thief's is tantamount to labeling (append your favorite stereotype here) .....
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM

Well considering I can purchase it cheaper at my dealership versus online should be a clue, also the dealership can't charge any amount they want, they don't have free rein to just charge whatever they please what world do you live in? As you stated if Nissan owned all of the dealerships they would "protect the name" well the same goes for franchises they do have rules if they want to continue and sell Nissan products, if they don't Nissan will cancel their franchise license.
Perhaps your world is different than mine.

For most of this country, the stealership can charge whatever the traffic will bear. Have you not hear of the "pack" or "dealer added accessories" or simply "extra dealer profit?" Have not not heard of dealers selling a hot car for $3,000 over sticker? An aggressive negotiator can easily bargain for car for hundreds less than a timid buyer. I reiterate, the consumer is the Mark and can be taken advantage of by the stealership. It is part of the car buying landscape in these United States.

I've often wondered why automakers do not buy their dealers. They can then control the buying experience, etc. Investment cost may be too high perhaps.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks in advance!

Tough call. Although there seems to be a consensus the ester is preferable in the 3.7, there is still much discussion as to the advantages of the ester oil in the 3.5.

In years gone by, I have driven Maximas over 200K using nothing but Castrol GTX 10W-40, and never had a whisper of a problem with my engines. Of course the 10W-40 of bygone days translates to 5W-30 these days.

If I were you, I would let my type of driving be a determining factor. Examples:

I am retired, try hard to avoid heavy congestion, and take my time. I may drive for hours at 80 MPH on deserted freeways, but that is easy on the engine. I sometimes pull away from lights aggressively, but more often, just take my time. Dino oil would work very well for me.

If I were a somewhat aggressive driver who usually got up to speed rather quickly, or commuted daily where stop and go driving was involved, and was constantly pulling away from traffic lights, I would feel a good synthetic oil would be best.

If I did a lot of driving in stop and go traffic or consistently drove aggressively or lived in either an area with very harsh winters or very hot summers, and intended to keep my car for over five years, Then I would seriously consider the ester oil.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 PM

From my understanding, the DLC coating is what requires the ester oil. I'm sure any name brand oil will protect the engine, but at the same time, will it protect or degrade the coating??? this is what I want to know.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 PM

Funny thing, I had my first oil change at a Nissan dealer in Queens, NY. They never mentioned Ester oil, and they did a "cheap and cheerful" oil change for $45.00. For all I know they put Wesson oil in the crankcase... seems like if there was more profit in Ester oil, they would have at least tried to sell me on it.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Perhaps your world is different than mine.

For most of this country, the stealership can charge whatever the traffic will bear. Have you not hear of the "pack" or "dealer added accessories" or simply "extra dealer profit?" Have not not heard of dealers selling a hot car for $3,000 over sticker? An aggressive negotiator can easily bargain for car for hundreds less than a timid buyer. I reiterate, the consumer is the Mark and can be taken advantage of by the stealership. It is part of the car buying landscape in these United States.

I've often wondered why automakers do not buy their dealers. They can then control the buying experience, etc. Investment cost may be too high perhaps.
Well I don't play the victim and no way I'll be a "mark" I'll leave and purchase another brand before I succumb to that garbage Nissan or not!

Adding "packages" is not the same as marking up a Nissan branded product like Ester oil. They can add whatever they want to the vehicle I tell them to take the sh** off or I'm out... I bought a 370Z Sport Package Manual with Chicane Yellow which is a premium color for $31,885 out the door. They already had tinted windows added I told them I don't care either you take it off or give it away or I'm leaving the deal. I got it and free maintenance up to 60k!

Again as in another thread it seems in CT you have horrible dealers and not much competition.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 PM

Adding "packages" is not the same as marking up a Nissan branded product like Ester oil.
How about this:

2009 Nissan GT-R $78,090.00
Dealer Extra Profit* $10,000.00

Total: $88,090.00

* Dealer's extra profit reflect the market value of this vehicle over MSRP.

Have you never seen this? They can do this also to ester oil, but don't due to the small dollar amount. Nissan does not set market prices; that is left up to the dealers who can charge anything they want.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 PM

How about this:

2009 Nissan GT-R $78,090.00
Dealer Extra Profit* $10,000.00

Total: $88,090.00

* Dealer's extra profit reflect the market value of this vehicle over MSRP.

Have you never seen this? They can do this also to ester oil, but don't due to the small dollar amount. Nissan does not set market prices; that is left up to the dealers who can charge anything they want.
It's what the market will bear, cheap in my area they go for 90-95k depending on the options. Go to NV or MI and I'm sure you'll get the best deal in the country...

When did we become a non-profit country? Is this where were headed?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 AM

It's what the market will bear, cheap in my area they go for 90-95k depending on the options. Go to NV or MI and I'm sure you'll get the best deal in the country...

When did we become a non-profit country? Is this where were headed?
It seem you don't get it.

I am all for capitalism. Profits are not a bad word in my dictionary.

You wrote in an earlier post: "...Well considering I can purchase it cheaper at my dealership versus online should be a clue, also the dealership can't charge any amount they want, they don't have free rein to just charge whatever they please what world do you live in?"

My point is that dealers can indeed charge whatever they want for their goods: Cars, spare parts, and even ester oil. They have free rein to charge whatever the market will bear. I think you will agree to this.

We are way off topic here. This is my last post on this matter.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lanzz
Funny thing, I had my first oil change at a Nissan dealer in Queens, NY. They never mentioned Ester oil, and they did a "cheap and cheerful" oil change for $45.00. For all I know they put Wesson oil in the crankcase... seems like if there was more profit in Ester oil, they would have at least tried to sell me on it.

The two Nissan dealers nearest me both use Shell 5W-30 dino oil in the '09 Maxima. I hang around both dealerships, and have asked what they use. Since these two dealers are owned by the same person, I phoned a third dealer on a whim, and that dealer uses 5W-30 Valvoline dino oil in the '09 Maxima.

If I drove very aggressively, or in very bad traffic, I would change to a good synthetic somewhere between 10K and 20K, but I am not paying anywhere near $100 for an ester oil change.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The two Nissan dealers nearest me both use Shell 5W-30 dino oil in the '09 Maxima. I hang around both dealerships, and have asked what they use. Since these two dealers are owned by the same person, I phoned a third dealer on a whim, and that dealer uses 5W-30 Valvoline dino oil in the '09 Maxima.

If I drove very aggressively, or in very bad traffic, I would change to a good synthetic somewhere between 10K and 20K, but I am not paying anywhere near $100 for an ester oil change.
Heck you can get 5 qts of ester oil, filter, crush washer all for less than $60.00... And this is higher than my dealer...

http://www.z1motorsports.com/g37_370...oducts_id=3681
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by Helo-Tech
From my understanding, the DLC coating is what requires the ester oil. I'm sure any name brand oil will protect the engine, but at the same time, will it protect or degrade the coating??? this is what I want to know.
Bingo. You shouldn't be arguing about what oil and discuss why Nissan even required an ester based oil in the 1st place.

http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...The-Truth.aspx

Looks to be a temp issue related to the film strength. Synthetics like Amsoil have much superior film and temp capabilities.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Dad

Heck you can get 5 qts of ester oil, filter, crush washer all for less than $60.00
Nice to know. But I have the next 3 years free and its $57 if I upgrade to the Kit. So I get free labor. Hey, I'll take it. Espec. in the winter.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 AM

maxlover...

thanks for the link to the oil change kit...that's an excellent price compared to what you pay at the dealer. I just got 5 quarts of ester yesterday from the local dealer who sold them to me at wholesale cost and total was about $54 and that's with no filter. I'm assuming you (and presumably others) have ordered from this site and it's reputable?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM

maxlover...

thanks for the link to the oil change kit...that's an excellent price compared to what you pay at the dealer. I just got 5 quarts of ester yesterday from the local dealer who sold them to me at wholesale cost and total was about $54 and that's with no filter. I'm assuming you (and presumably others) have ordered from this site and it's reputable?

Thanks!
Don't even worry about that Robert. Z1 is a really great company. I used to order tons of aftermarket parts for my 300zx through them.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 PM

Mreim,

Thanks for the confirmation...I'll def be ordering many oil change kits from this company. I know there were some threads on the various flavors of the Nissan oil filter...some of the earlier ones had the cheaper plastic parts while some had metal? Hope I said that right. Anyway, do I have to worry about this kit coming with the "desired" filter or will it be OK?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Mreim,

Thanks for the confirmation...I'll def be ordering many oil change kits from this company. I know there were some threads on the various flavors of the Nissan oil filter...some of the earlier ones had the cheaper plastic parts while some had metal? Hope I said that right. Anyway, do I have to worry about this kit coming with the "desired" filter or will it be OK?

Thanks,

Robert
That I don't know. Shoot them an email. They are one of the few online vendors that actually send you one back.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've got probably close to 2 million miles driven in my life on nothing but Castrol GTX 10-30. Everything from BMW's to street bikes, small engines ect. Never had any engine issues, EGR systems stay clean too. Blackstone Labs seems to confirm that GTX is an awsome oil. The reports on here speak for themselves. I normally do 5k changes.