7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: Are you committed to buying an R2C Intake once available?
Yes. I am patiently waiting.
71.43%
No. I'm not sure why I even voted.
28.57%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

R2C Performance Products Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 PM

Wow okay so I used my Droid app torque while connected to the ECU and was monitoring a gauge that tracked air intake temperature while driving. While cruising along, the air intake temperature was 49-50 degrees Celsius. When I stopped at a stoplight though, in under a minute it rose to 62 degrees Celsius before the light hit green. That's a hell of a temperature increase, and definitely confirms what others have said that these short ram air intakes pull in quite a bit of hot air. Going to do some tests and put the stock box back on and see how it compares...
Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thumbs up r2c intake

I love my new r2c intake the sound is amazing! ! ! ! took about 45 min to install ... Only problem i would say is i cant stop flooring it every where i go .....
Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Enjoy it. I had it but sold mine. It sounds very nice and looks cool under the hood. It is especially nice as on low speeds, you don't hear it until you floor it. But now you will see a dip in gas mileage.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
Enjoy it. I had it but sold mine. It sounds very nice and looks cool under the hood. It is especially nice as on low speeds, you don't hear it until you floor it. But now you will see a dip in gas mileage.
+1

Dip in mileage and power the hotter it is outside and the harder you're driving. My engine bay gets so hot during the day after a drive that parts of it are too hot to touch with bare skin. It's pulling all of this blazing hot air into the engine...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 PM

How do I go about ordering one?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM

The R2C looks nice but I have not been able to pull the trigger, it honestly looks like nothing more then a cosmetic mod, that does nothing for performance, I'd prefer a true CAI
Old 07-31-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
Not me, I noticed a gain in mileage. Over the last 1000 miles with my RC2 in place doing the same driving I always have done, I have noticed .5 mpg increase. From 23.9 to 24.4 average. If nothing else, I am even getting on it more often as well.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by goose8924
How do I go about ordering one?
Give Ed in sales a call. He'd be more than happy to help you out.

Mention you're on Maxima.org of course.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MoltonMania
I love my new r2c intake the sound is amazing! ! ! ! took about 45 min to install ... Only problem i would say is i cant stop flooring it every where i go .....
Gotta love it!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jhatfie
Not me, I noticed a gain in mileage. Over the last 1000 miles with my RC2 in place doing the same driving I always have done, I have noticed .5 mpg increase. From 23.9 to 24.4 average. If nothing else, I am even getting on it more often as well.
Hmm, interesting. Mine is pulling in air temps of 75 degrees Celcius (167 fahrenheit) and higher which according to how engines work results in a worse air to fuel ratio and lower fuel economy/power compared to stock. I'm actually taking my R2C off today and going back to stock, if anyone wants to buy it hit me up.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 AM

I say screw mileage, I'll take the horsepower anyday......If your looking for top mileage, this is not your car. Love my R2C and what it offers.....
Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Colnajoe
I say screw mileage, I'll take the horsepower anyday......If your looking for top mileage, this is not your car. Love my R2C and what it offers.....
Increased temps mean lower power too. I only feel a power gain when I'm driving at high speeds and air is rushing in through the grill. Other than that I actually feel a power loss. Has nothing to do with R2C, I had the same power loss with my Takeda too.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Increased temps mean lower power too. I only feel a power gain when I'm driving at high speeds and air is rushing in through the grill. Other than that I actually feel a power loss. Has nothing to do with R2C, I had the same power loss with my Takeda too.
Right on the money. I have a OBD Scanner and data logger with realtime stats on every component. Last week in the DC heat, IAT's with my Stillen intake were about 115-120* with the A/C running.

Just a question- does the R2C utilize the factory fresh air duct like the Stillen system?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
Right on the money. I have a OBD Scanner and data logger with realtime stats on every component. Last week in the DC heat, IAT's with my Stillen intake were about 115-120* with the A/C running.

Just a question- does the R2C utilize the factory fresh air duct like the Stillen system?
It fits up against it with the heat shield, but like the rest of the heat shields it is open on the back/sides so ultimately it has no function. The only way to get cold air is to put the stock box back on which seals to the front grill duct and pulls air through there even when stopped. These ram airs rely on the car moving to be getting anything but extremely hot air so anytime you stop it will start instantly rising. For people who doubt it, feel free to grab an OBD scanner and see for yourself - I didn't believe it until I saw it first hand but yeah these ram airs are definitely worse than the stock intake in every way except for noise - if you like noise they're better.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 AM

It fits up against it with the heat shield, but like the rest of the heat shields it is open on the back/sides so ultimately it has no function. The only way to get cold air is to put the stock box back on which seals to the front grill duct and pulls air through there even when stopped. These ram airs rely on the car moving to be getting anything but extremely hot air so anytime you stop it will start instantly rising. For people who doubt it, feel free to grab an OBD scanner and see for yourself - I didn't believe it until I saw it first hand but yeah these ram airs are definitely worse than the stock intake in every way except for noise - if you like noise they're better.
Hmmm interesting. Guess another option would be to fabricate a NACA duct into the hood. Would ruin the look of the hood though.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Hmmm interesting. Guess another option would be to fabricate a NACA duct into the hood. Would ruin the look of the hood though.
Wonder how hard it would be for a company to fabricate a shroud around their filter that is actually sealed and connects perfectly to the grill air inlet. Heck they could probably even use the stock filter to make their design off of, just get rid of all the twists and turns and widen the pipe a bit.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Wonder how hard it would be for a company to fabricate a shroud around their filter that is actually sealed and connects perfectly to the grill air inlet. Heck they could probably even use the stock filter to make their design off of, just get rid of all the twists and turns and widen the pipe a bit.
Since you're going back to the stock airbox, what about some heat reflecting wrap (like for exhaust headers) to help keep the intake charge as cool as possible? Sure it couldn't hurt!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 PM

Since you're going back to the stock airbox, what about some heat reflecting wrap (like for exhaust headers) to help keep the intake charge as cool as possible? Sure it couldn't hurt!
Might not be on there that long, I'll be doing some testing and getting some temp and other readings with the R2C, then again with the stock box, then again this weekend when I build the CAI. I'll def post a new thread up with all the results so people looking for intakes can make an informed decision.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Wonder why the option of pulling some freah air in from the "cowl area" of the cars hood hasn't been explored? It was done with numerous muscle/race cars in the past and seem like this vehicle might have some potential as long as the plastic/waterseal is not compromised.
Just wondering...
Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
Wonder why the option of pulling some freah air in from the "cowl area" of the cars hood hasn't been explored? It was done with numerous muscle/race cars in the past and seem like this vehicle might have some potential as long as the plastic/waterseal is not compromised.
Just wondering...
This is true, but muscle cars back in the 60's had a much higher windshield rake which caused the pressure difference at the bottom of the windshield or as GM called it "cowl induction". Most cars these days have such a low profile windshield rake that unless you looked at it in a wind tunnel with some smoke, the air flows right over the hood and further up the windshield.

If I didn't think a NACA duct would absolutely ruin the look of the hood, I'd say that would be your best bet for bringing in fresh air, especially at speed.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 AM

My Fujita CAI on my 06 Maxima changed the color of my oil (GC 0w30) the oil immediately turned dark black within a few hundred miles of my oil change, my used oil analysis said the oil was doing an excellent job of absorbing heat, but I never experienced this color change until the intake. I never did enough UOA to see if this heat increase effected the oil life
Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
My Fujita CAI on my 06 Maxima changed the color of my oil (GC 0w30) the oil immediately turned dark black within a few hundred miles of my oil change, my used oil analysis said the oil was doing an excellent job of absorbing heat, but I never experienced this color change until the intake. I never did enough UOA to see if this heat increase effected the oil life
That's wild. I had a CAI on my old Spec-V and it changed my mileage from 22 mpg to 24 and DEFINITELY gave me a ton of power off the line and in high RPMs. Never had any issues with oil or anything, I hope this isn't a Maxima-specific issue...
Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM

That's wild. I had a CAI on my old Spec-V and it changed my mileage from 22 mpg to 24 and DEFINITELY gave me a ton of power off the line and in high RPMs. Never had any issues with oil or anything, I hope this isn't a Maxima-specific issue...
I check my oil pretty regularly, wanna make sure it's not burning or anything, the UOA said everything was fine, and the oil was working as designed, I never had my oil get so dark in such a short time especially synthetic, this was something I noticed after the intake went on, at the time I was doing a 1000 miles a week for work so my highway mileage was most definitely improved, I averaged 60-110mph each way and I was averaging 26-28mpg with a serious heavy foot, not including the hours of idling on the job, several hot days I popped the hood and touched the aluminum intake tube and almost burned the skin off my

My 09, I drive like 3 miles to school each day, so right now an intake might not optimize anything for me
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 PM

I thought it was great upgrade

Last edited by SlkMax; 08-04-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

any advice

any one have some advice for a tuning neewb... i normally like doing audio stuff like woofers and some nice components, but with a car like this i cant help but try and get as much power out of it as possible. I got my max in the past couple of months and have been adding stuff to it little by little.. it was an upgrade from my 04 altima and the pickup is rediculous! adding an intake to it can only make it better.. after reading through the forums looks like ill be going the r2c route and was wondering if any one had any advice on installing it or anything i should be prepared for when removing the stock air intake?? Thanks for your help in advance...
Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by rayram23
any one have some advice for a tuning neewb... i normally like doing audio stuff like woofers and some nice components, but with a car like this i cant help but try and get as much power out of it as possible. I got my max in the past couple of months and have been adding stuff to it little by little.. it was an upgrade from my 04 altima and the pickup is rediculous! adding an intake to it can only make it better.. after reading through the forums looks like ill be going the r2c route and was wondering if any one had any advice on installing it or anything i should be prepared for when removing the stock air intake?? Thanks for your help in advance...
personally id stick with the stock intake, it has a much better setup than any short ram air intake can get you. our engine bay gets really hot and when you start sucking in 175+ degree air it doesnt exactly help. if you have to get one though id go with R2C cause their filter element is one of the best IMO.

Last edited by Ghozt; 08-08-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Still Happy

I've had my R2C intake on since last year, got one of the first ones made...and I'm still very happy with it. The engine sounds amazing...and the pull is great too. Don't have b4/after numbers to give, or adive for installation...but it is supposed to add about 9hp. The installation instructions I got were a little fuzzy, but after studying them I figured out everything and didn't have a bit of problem with the final installation job..and I'm no mechanic. Mine is a lease, but I'm going to purchase it after the 39 months is up, so my mods are staying with me...plan on getting a Bully Dog next, or a Racingline Y-Pipe...
Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

not sure if anyone still interested in R2C, but it is instock @ $180 + Shipping.

http://www.r2cperformance.com/nissan...ke-system.aspx

Last edited by bossusa; 05-30-2014 at 01:53 PM.