7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Paint Chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Paint Chip

I got my first chip on my left rear fender last week. Anyone have any experience with this: https://www.drcolorchip.com/index.shtml

Looks amazing and really easy to apply. I just ordered a kit I'll take some pictures of my results once I get it.

Here are some before and after pictures:

Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 PM

Looks interesting, keep us updated.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM

For whatever reason rocks seems magnetized to my A Pillars. That products appears to work pretty well. Post some pics when you get a chance to let us know how it goes.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Interesting, let us know if you going to give it a try. Wonder how long the paint will hold up?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by swatcop
Interesting, let us know if you going to give it a try. Wonder how long the paint will hold up?
Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
I just ordered a kit I'll take some pictures of my results once I get it.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 PM

Well, that lloks strange to me. But I have had same problem as you. I bought this...

http://www.langka.com/

And bought touch up paint pen from the dealership. It came out ok. But someone who is meticulous could have done a better job than me. I don't know about yours, but this has some videos on youtube and it did do ok with me. Not great!

I guess you can't order this now since you already ordered the other kind. If not, I recommend this..., langka, the blob eliminator!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 PM

A 370z guy,Lexus and BMW guy tried it, check it out.

http://www.the370z.com/exterior-inte...-my-paint.html
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/auto...view-pics.html
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...41#post5627841

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 08-18-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 PM

Wow all impressive thanks for the links!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 AM

ughhhh rock chips ughhhhhhh, i got my first rock chip on my hood and i bought the touch up paint from nissan but it doesnt seem to match too good.....I would like to see how this works, because i see another tiny chip on my fender.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 AM

Wow all impressive thanks for the links!
No prob anything to help a fellow orger, I think that I'm going to have to get one for my 370 and my Max, my wife's G paint is doing well overall. My Z already has 2 front chips and the Max quite a few, I 'm going to wait to see your results!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
No prob anything to help a fellow orger, I think that I'm going to have to get one for my 370 and my Max, my wife's G paint is doing well overall. My Z already has 2 front chips and the Max quite a few, I 'm going to wait to see your results!
for some reason why does the paint on the 09s seem to chip much easier than other cars.? Everyone i know who has a 09 seems to have some sort of rock chip on their car .
Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
for some reason why does the paint on the 09s seem to chip much easier than other cars.? Everyone i know who has a 09 seems to have some sort of rock chip on their car .
I could not tell you, but can tell you this. Since the 5th gen the Maxima's paint has not been that great and almost every 5th-7th gen I see has some sorta chippage on the front end, 4th gen and older models paint send to hold up better especially on the front end. Also the Z's since the 350 is the same way bad paint, my 370 z has 2 already. I do see what you are saying as some other mfg's seem to have the paint thing in recent years down pat better than Nissan

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 08-19-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 PM

I agree, the paint on the max sucks!!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:03 PM

I could not tell you, but can tell you this. Since the 5th gen the Maxima's paint has not been that great and almost every 5th-7th gen I see has some sorta chippage on the front end, 4th gen and older models paint send to hold up better especially on the front end. Also the Z's since the 350 is the same way bad paint, my 370 z has 2 already. I do see what you are saying as some other mfg's seem to have the paint thing in recent years down pat better than Nissan
Lexus paint in the last 3-4 years is the same way. I don't have any chips on my 370 yet and I just got my clear bra installed last weekend, I had my fingers crossed for the last couple months whenever I drove my Z.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:08 PM

My paint on my 09 max sucks as well. Lots of little scratches all over the car and its only 3 months old. My sonata held up MUCH better, not happy with the paint at all.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Lexus paint in the last 3-4 years is the same way. I don't have any chips on my 370 yet and I just got my clear bra installed last weekend, I had my fingers crossed for the last couple months whenever I drove my Z.
Luck you........lol, Had mine for 4 months and it has to on the hood...........ughhh.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:34 AM

Luck you........lol, Had mine for 4 months and it has to on the hood...........ughhh.
i got my first rock chip the first week i bought my car, now thats painfull lol
Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM

I agree totally. The paint on the '09 max seems to chip very easy. I was driving on the highway and heard a loud ping on the passenger side of my car. I checked the whole side of the car to find out later that the chip ended up being on the roof, right down to the metal. I never had a chip on the roof of the car. The front bumper seems to chip very easily, as well. I drive on the highway alot and I have anxiety driving this car to work.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Adamax
I agree totally. The paint on the '09 max seems to chip very easy. I was driving on the highway and heard a loud ping on the passenger side of my car. I checked the whole side of the car to find out later that the chip ended up being on the roof, right down to the metal. I never had a chip on the roof of the car. The front bumper seems to chip very easily, as well. I drive on the highway alot and I have anxiety driving this car to work.
yea the rock chip i have on my hood is right down to the metal too. I wanna see how this dr colorchip works. The touch up paint i bought from nissan sucks, it doesnt match very well and plus when you put the clear coat on it , it looks even more terrible, ill probably end up buying the dr colorchip, just waiting for some feedback from maxloveraz
Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM

A nose bra was the first thing I ordered after I bought the car and it fits like a glove...very nice looking. No chips up front yet, but I do have one on the passenger rear quarter panel, so I will be getting something to repair it soon.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Helo-Tech
A nose bra was the first thing I ordered after I bought the car and it fits like a glove...very nice looking. No chips up front yet, but I do have one on the passenger rear quarter panel, so I will be getting something to repair it soon.
my next car will deff have a bra as soon as it comes outta the dealer lol, i was stupid shoulda bought one for my max for when driving on the highway
Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM

my next car will deff have a bra as soon as it comes outta the dealer lol, i was stupid shoulda bought one for my max for when driving on the highway
Get a clear bra it's the first thing I get put on typically the first week I own the car if possible.

http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_0...bra/index.html
Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 PM

I was considering the clear option but I didn't know if it would dis-color over time. Does dirt make the edges show after a while??? Also, i didn't know how easily bug guts came off, the luv-bugs get thick at times here in the Dirty-South. Anyway, I really like the way the bra looks...very sporty.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:04 PM

I was considering the clear option but I didn't know if it would dis-color over time. Does dirt make the edges show after a while??? Also, i didn't know how easily bug guts came off, the luv-bugs get thick at times here in the Dirty-South. Anyway, I really like the way the bra looks...very sporty.
Won't ever yellow, you wax it just like the rest of the car bugs come off easily. These are mainly all on Ferrari, Lambo, Merc, etc.... I never see any dirt on the edges of my bra.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM

I have the slate gray paint and got two small chips above my rear door handle and decided to try Dr Color chip. I was amazed at the quality and the color match of the paint. No matter how hard you look you wont see where the chips were. Highly recommended.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Glenns25
I have the slate gray paint and got two small chips above my rear door handle and decided to try Dr Color chip. I was amazed at the quality and the color match of the paint. No matter how hard you look you wont see where the chips were. Highly recommended.
stuff sounds worth it, i might order a kit tonight
Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Get a clear bra it's the first thing I get put on typically the first week I own the car if possible.
Ditto - on my last two vehicles - I have never driven them without the clear bra. The installer is about four blocks from my dealer, and they take it there to have the bra installed before I ever pick up the car.

Does dirt make the edges show after a while??? Also, i didn't know how easily bug guts came off, the luv-bugs get thick at times here in the Dirty-South. Anyway, I really like the way the bra looks...very sporty.
No dirt - but wax will build up if you don't learn the trick of applying 1/4" painter's tape over the edges while waxing, then pulling the tape off before buffing. Agree with MaxLoverAz, getting bugs off waxed PPF is easier than getting them off the paint.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 AM

OK guys i finally received my dr color chip, and im not impressed so far. Yesterday i received the kit, and was reading a note that came with the box, It said that since the white is a tri color coat paint, there is not a single color formulation that exactly matches the tri coat color. So when i read that i was already disappointed because i thought this would be an exact match, considering looking and reading other peoples reviews. I wish they woulda told me that before i bought the kit because i probably wouldnt of ordered it.
Anyway i went to try it on the car, and the the paint did not stick to the chips, i followed the instructions , and nothing!...Am i doing something wrong? The chip is down to the metal...Anyway im gonna give them a call later
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 AM

3M Stoneguard makes the front end chip proof. Worth every penny. The dirt does not show on the edges and the love bugs come off easily.

Last edited by 2young2retire; 09-06-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 AM

OK guys i finally received my dr color chip, and im not impressed so far. Yesterday i received the kit, and was reading a note that came with the box, It said that since the white is a tri color coat paint, there is not a single color formulation that exactly matches the tri coat color. So when i read that i was already disappointed because i thought this would be an exact match, considering looking and reading other peoples reviews. I wish they woulda told me that before i bought the kit because i probably wouldnt of ordered it.
Anyway i went to try it on the car, and the the paint did not stick to the chips, i followed the instructions , and nothing!...Am i doing something wrong? The chip is down to the metal...Anyway im gonna give them a call later

With the chip on my roof, that was down to the metal, I used Duplicolor 2 in 1 primer/filler. I waited for the primer to cure a day. Then the factory touch-up paint stuck.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM

I got my kit in yesterday. Intereresting note in the packaging.

"Tri Coat Notice -

The color you have ordered is a tri coat color. This means that in the factory the car was painted with a base coat, a mid coat(pearl) and then clear coated. There is not a single color formulation that exactly matches the tri coat color. We have included with your order the base color, which in most cases when used by itself will do a nice job of repairing the chips. The color marked as "Pearl" on the cap is your pearl color and while it may appear to be closer in match to your car's actual color, if used by itself on your car's chips, it may appear translucent allowing you to see thru the pearl to the chip itself. Try using the Base color first. Again, in most cases this will create very good repairs and you may not need the pearl color at all. We have added the pearl as an option if you feel you want to go over this base paint to try and more closely match the car's pearl finish."

I'm impressed that they would do this, it's no wonder the OEM touch-up paint is so obviously visible that a repair was performed. I'll be doing this later this week or weekend and will show pictures of the complete process.

Cheers!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Interesting read,
To date, however, I've not had any paint chips...even at 41K miles. I've actually been pretty pleased with the paint on my 09 Max. Even the Floridian "Love Bugs" haven't had any impact yet. I know I've had rock strikes as one even broke my windshield. But thanks for the heads up about the kit...I just hope I don't have to use it!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:17 PM

I got my kit in yesterday. Intereresting note in the packaging.

"Tri Coat Notice -

The color you have ordered is a tri coat color. This means that in the factory the car was painted with a base coat, a mid coat(pearl) and then clear coated. There is not a single color formulation that exactly matches the tri coat color. We have included with your order the base color, which in most cases when used by itself will do a nice job of repairing the chips. The color marked as "Pearl" on the cap is your pearl color and while it may appear to be closer in match to your car's actual color, if used by itself on your car's chips, it may appear translucent allowing you to see thru the pearl to the chip itself. Try using the Base color first. Again, in most cases this will create very good repairs and you may not need the pearl color at all. We have added the pearl as an option if you feel you want to go over this base paint to try and more closely match the car's pearl finish."

I'm impressed that they would do this, it's no wonder the OEM touch-up paint is so obviously visible that a repair was performed. I'll be doing this later this week or weekend and will show pictures of the complete process.
\Cheers!
lemme know how yours went, and which one should i use, the base or the pearl or both? I tried it with the base only and it didnt match and didnt even stick, then i tried the pearl and same thing
Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM

lemme know how yours went, and which one should i use, the base or the pearl or both? I tried it with the base only and it didnt match and didn't even stick, then i tried the pearl and same thing
Dang it, I hope that you can get it to work/look good. I was sorta skeptical about on The pearl whites even though they showed a pearl white Altima on the site but not up close. I was going to get a kit for the Z and the Max both pearl White.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Bad *** Newb

68 bucks for a little paint seems kinda steep to me.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Wow, great job man.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Did you mix it properly err long enough?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Did you mix it properly err long enough?
what did you mix, the base and the pearl?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM

what did you mix, the base and the pearl?
No just by themselves I noticed major separation. I mixed it like heck and put some on a test piece last night I got plenty of color at least with the base I haven't tried the pearl yet.

This weekend I apply the base probably 3-4 times until the chip is flush and then the pearl and see how it looks. Don't worry I'll take pictures.

Quick Reply: Paint Chip