7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Paint Chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
OK guys i finally received my dr color chip, and im not impressed so far. Yesterday i received the kit, and was reading a note that came with the box, It said that since the white is a tri color coat paint, there is not a single color formulation that exactly matches the tri coat color. So when i read that i was already disappointed because i thought this would be an exact match, considering looking and reading other peoples reviews. I wish they woulda told me that before i bought the kit because i probably wouldnt of ordered it.
Anyway i went to try it on the car, and the the paint did not stick to the chips, i followed the instructions , and nothing!...Am i doing something wrong? The chip is down to the metal...Anyway im gonna give them a call later
I found it interesting after reading this - that Langka includes a "Prepaint" to prepare the chip before applying touch-up paint.

http://www.langka.com/complete-paint...-kit-p-30.html
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
ughhhh rock chips ughhhhhhh, i got my first rock chip on my hood and i bought the touch up paint from nissan but it doesnt seem to match too good.....I would like to see how this works, because i see another tiny chip on my fender.

wow really bro? thats funny the only chips im getting are the ones on my grill that may i say i SPRAY painted myself...lolol im not much of a painter but i know its all because of the sand in long island ....i hate the LIE
Old 03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've never had any luck with the paint pens or dealer-supplied touch up, they seem to forget it was a tri-coat paint when they themselves painted it originally! Kudos to Duplicolor!

There are a lot of online retailers selling touch up paint, shop around and find a good deal.

Last edited by deekny; 03-31-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
I got my kit in yesterday. Intereresting note in the packaging.

"Tri Coat Notice -

The color you have ordered is a tri coat color. This means that in the factory the car was painted with a base coat, a mid coat(pearl) and then clear coated. There is not a single color formulation that exactly matches the tri coat color. We have included with your order the base color, which in most cases when used by itself will do a nice job of repairing the chips. The color marked as "Pearl" on the cap is your pearl color and while it may appear to be closer in match to your car's actual color, if used by itself on your car's chips, it may appear translucent allowing you to see thru the pearl to the chip itself. Try using the Base color first. Again, in most cases this will create very good repairs and you may not need the pearl color at all. We have added the pearl as an option if you feel you want to go over this base paint to try and more closely match the car's pearl finish."

I'm impressed that they would do this, it's no wonder the OEM touch-up paint is so obviously visible that a repair was performed. I'll be doing this later this week or weekend and will show pictures of the complete process.

Cheers!
I just looked up the site for the Arctic Pearl White, and noted that it had an extra bottle from what they typically showed - so that extra bottle must be the 'pearl'... cool - not too expensive either... though I'd need about 4 or 5 sets of the largest size to fix all of the blemishes on my car...
Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
This weekend I apply the base probably 3-4 times until the chip is flush and then the pearl and see how it looks. Don't worry I'll take pictures.
I know it's been a while, but do you have those pictures? I have a small chip on my front fender that needs some attention.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 AM

Has anyone had any problems with rust on the paint chips??? My cars only a year old and Nissan said they wont cover it cuz paint chips arent covered under warranty... FML
Old 04-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by CKphilly
I know it's been a while, but do you have those pictures? I have a small chip on my front fender that needs some attention.
No one has produced pics of the before or after yet, I want to see the results as well!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:15 PM

I have one or two chips on my 2010 Maxima already. It is super black exterior so they are really noticeable. What I find that works and is cheap is to just buy the 8-9 buck bottle of touch up paint from Nissan for your exterior color and instead of using the applicator that comes with the bottle (and I recommend you do not use that applicator they give you on the bottle) I use the tip of a tooth pick to very gently dap the touch up paint into the chip and then blow it dry. Unless you look at the front end with a magnifying glass you don't see the chip anymore.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 AM

I think I will try the OEM touch up paint and toothpick first. I will just take my time and do each very slowly.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah i've never had any luck w/ the Dr Color Chip touchup paint kits... but I've used it on mostly red and black cars. (UGA Fan)
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM

After reading these posts, I went to youtube and watched Dr. Paintchip and Langka videos. I finally decided to try Dr. Paintchip, which came today. My car is the winter frost pearl, and as mentioned previously, the original color is a multi-step process -- these repair systems can only come close to simulating these colors. As they correctly point out in the instructions, a 'slightly darker' product will "match" better than 'slightly lighter.' I followed the directions exactly, and found it worked exactly as they said it would (and as shown on the video). My chip was small, but fairly deep. So once I got the hang of it, I just kept adding layers of paint and wiping/polishing, until it ended up being a flush repair. The fact that there is NO paint past the edge of the nick, or above the level of the surrounding paint makes this a better system than any touch-up paint I've ever used. I bought the smallest bottle size and clearly there is enough here to repair more nicks than I ever intend to have!

By the way, has anybody talked about so-called "paintless dent repair"? I had a chance to try it on my Infiniti G35 a few months ago to remove some door dings that were driving me nuts -- and was astounded with the fabulous results. Luckily, most didn't nick the paint -- but I can see now that this Dr. Paintchip system combined with the ding removal could virtually eliminate such minor (but major annoying) damage.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM

minor chips = road wear = character ... why would I fret over little chips on the front bumper, my car is driven hard and the little chips make the car look that much more badass IMO ... check out (4:10) on this Maserati MC12 link from 5th Gear and you will see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCm31-SqIjk
Old 08-19-2010, 06:31 PM

I have had excellent luck with DR Colorchip in the past on my superblack Altima. This stuff really works well and last forever. I am not sure about the white mix as it sounds a little more complex
Just make sure to put plenty on the area (dont worry about too much I have put this stuff on with a microfiber towel on large areas!)
Let it dry 10 mins then go over it with the remover stuff then wax the area the next day.
Nissan paint is known for being paper thin....