7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Maxima Plant Tour Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:05 AM

Maxima Plant Tour Questions

My wife and I were thinking about taken a long weekend off of work and going down and checking out the factory where the 7th Gen Maxima is built. Can anybody provide any insights on this trip. Do I need to call ahead to get a tour "reservation" on a Friday or Saturday. Any info is welcome.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:10 AM

tours arent available on saturday. and yes call, tours are booked up for months in advance
Old 08-01-2009, 07:12 AM

thats cool i would love to check out the plant, too bad i dont live closer lol
Old 08-01-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
My wife and I were thinking about taken a long weekend off of work and going down and checking out the factory where the 7th Gen Maxima is built. Can anybody provide any insights on this trip. Do I need to call ahead to get a tour "reservation" on a Friday or Saturday. Any info is welcome.
http://www.rutherfordchamber.org/cvb...l.php?PRKey=12

What to See

Nissan North America, Inc. Tours

Watch the parts become a whole...a whole lot of cars and trucks!
Tour the Nissan North America manufacturing plant in Smyrna where five Nissan brand cars and trucks roll off the lines.
  • Maxima
  • Altima
  • Xterra compact SUV
  • Frontier truck
  • Pathfinder SUV
The massive $2.1 billion facility covers 5.4 million square feet on 884 acres. More than one-half million vehicles roll off the line every year and you are welcome to watch!
Hours:
Tours are offered Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Visitors view a video about the company and then ride the tram on a guided tour of the plant. No children under the age of ten are allowed on the tour. Cameras, including camera phones, are not allowed in the plant. Advance reservations are required.
Admission:
No admission charged.
Directions:
From Murfreesboro and East: Take I-24 West toward Nashville. Exit at #70, Almaville Rd. and turn right toward Smyrna, Drive three miles, Nissan is on the right.

From Nashville and West: Take I-24 West toward Chattanooga, Exit at #70, Almaville Rd. and turn left toward Smyrna. Drive three miles. Nissan is on the right.
For more information and to make reservations, please call (615) 459-1444
Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
tours arent available on saturday. and yes call, tours are booked up for months in advance
They may be booked months in advance for large groups but my wife and I had no problem getting a spot with one week's notice.

It is a great tour and well worth the trip.

Last edited by boone; 08-01-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 PM

Once you have seen the film, and have been loaded into the tram, you will not be allowed out of the tram again until the tour is over, so be prepared to swivel your neck 180 degrees in order to not miss anything.

If you drive to the plant in a Nissan, you get to park close in. Non-Nissan vehicles are required to park way out in the far reaches of the lot.

I have toured asembly lines for lots of different brand vehicles over the last fifty plus years, and there is a lot of similarity. But the Nissan tour was especially meaningful for me, as I have owned nothing but Maximas for the last 25 years (as of this coming October). The 1960 Datsun pickup in the front lobby brought back many memories.

My wife and I spent a week in Smyrna in late March of 2008 (to see the first '09 Maximas coming off the line), and, as expected, Smyrna is a good place to see lots of Nissans on the road everywhere you go.

Smyrna is totally different than it was when I used to visit relatives there back in the 1950s. But it is a great place to stay for a week, taking in a different attraction in Smyrna and nearby Nashville each day. The Nissan plant, the Hermitage, Rymond Auditorium, The Grand Ole Opry, the Country Music Hall of Fame; there are dozens of places worth visiting in that area.

When the 8th generation Maxima begins coming off the assembly line in spring of 2013, I have a feeling I will be talking my wife into another week in Smyrna.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
.....But it is a great place to stay for a week, taking in a different attraction in Smyrna and nearby Nashville each day. The Nissan plant, the Hermitage, Rymond Auditorium, The Grand Ole Opry, the Country Music Hall of Fame; there are dozens of places worth visiting in that area.
Yep those are the wife's plans, and the factory tour is mine. We will most likely do it next May for our anniversary. Who knows by then they be building the 2011 Maximas.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 PM

doubtful, next model years start ~august
Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM

doubtful, next model years start ~august

Yep. Except when a new generation is being released, the assembly line converts in July, and the new year's models begin arriving at dealers in August.

We know from long experience that Nissan makes very few changes the second model year of a generation, but usually makes some notable changes at the 'half-generation.' The '10 Maxima is little-changed from the '09 (just 'silverier wheels', etc), but the '11 will have tweaks in the front and rear sculpting, as well as mechanical adjustments of some sort. Maybe power folding mirrors, and/or a TPMS system that allows the display of psi for each tire, as well as the spare. And hopefully something really big, such as a diesel?

Well, I can dream, can't I?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 AM

Just did the tour yesterday.

I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There's a Ramada in Murfreesboro thats about $40 per night. At least it was in March..
Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 PM

if you are coming to the area. i would say you should stay in nashville. visit smyrna for the tour. theres not much up there. everything is in nashville
Old 09-26-2009, 11:58 PM

if you are coming to the area. i would say you should stay in nashville. visit smyrna for the tour. theres not much up there. everything is in nashville

Or Smyrna. There are several nice motels right on I-26 in Smyrna (the exit on the Nashville side of Smyrna). That gets you out of Nashville congestion, yet is within five minutes of the Nashville city limits, and within twenty minutes of downtown Nashville.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:53 AM

******* Opryland Hotel is worth the added expense. Highly recommended.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by rkurlander
******* Opryland Hotel is worth the added expense. Highly recommended.
I just called and left my contact info on their reservation line. The wife is wanting to stay at the Opryland Hotel. And the tour will be the last event before we head back home that long extended weekend for us in May.