7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Please help diagnose A/C issue in CT

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 AM

Please help diagnose A/C issue in CT

Hi guys,
I would seriously appreciate your help in regards to my A/C issue. Because of the lovely Connecticut summer, I only recently started using my A/C. I used it on a very humid day and noticed that while the A/C at first started blowing cold air then gradually the air became warmer and I could smell humidity in it. After a short while I it started going with the cold air again, gradually warming up and blowing outside air in. This seems to be the consistent behavior (the above cycle repeats over and over), the car climate control is set to auto at around 73-75 degrees. The car is at the dealer right now, and I am mentally prepared for the "Everything is working fine" line, but I know that it is not right. I used to have a similar issue with my 95 Max, where they had to replace a major component, but it took them very long time to troubleshoot. Can you just respond whether you observe similar behavior or not?

The dealer mentioned that once the car reaches desired temp, the compressor should shut down causing refridgerant to not flow and therefore the air would not be as cold?! Who knows, maybe I am wrong.
Please let me know, especially the guys around New England.
thanks in advance,
Max
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Have you tried not using auto climate and just turn the AC on at 60 degrees and see if it stays constant? I am not a fan of auto climate control, the different fan speeds it cycles through drives me nuts. In the summer I have the temp set on 60 and keep the AC on, no problems at all.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by maxud
Hi guys,
I would seriously appreciate your help in regards to my A/C issue. Because of the lovely Connecticut summer, I only recently started using my A/C. I used it on a very humid day and noticed that while the A/C at first started blowing cold air then gradually the air became warmer and I could smell humidity in it. After a short while I it started going with the cold air again, gradually warming up and blowing outside air in. This seems to be the consistent behavior (the above cycle repeats over and over), the car climate control is set to auto at around 73-75 degrees. The car is at the dealer right now, and I am mentally prepared for the "Everything is working fine" line, but I know that it is not right. I used to have a similar issue with my 95 Max, where they had to replace a major component, but it took them very long time to troubleshoot. Can you just respond whether you observe similar behavior or not?

The dealer mentioned that once the car reaches desired temp, the compressor should shut down causing refridgerant to not flow and therefore the air would not be as cold?! Who knows, maybe I am wrong.
Please let me know, especially the guys around New England.
thanks in advance,
Max
I've never had this issue with my car. Is the button that says A/C illuminated at all? Maybe what you are getting is just the fan possibly. Do you have any aftermarket stuff installed? Something that would possibly be taping into your wires??

You should check out CTNISSANS.org its a new web site forum that me and my buddy started its also car club as well. There is a NYC BBQ coming up Aug 1st it would be awesome if we could get another 7th gen maxima to cruise down with us?? We also meet up on the Berlin Turnpike usually on the weekends...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by nemesis04
Have you tried not using auto climate and just turn the AC on at 60 degrees and see if it stays constant? I am not a fan of auto climate control, the different fan speeds it cycles through drives me nuts. In the summer I have the temp set on 60 and keep the AC on, no problems at all.
To be honest I have not used the manual overrides yet. It is about 64 degrees today where I live, which makes the problem much less obvious

But the shop manager said the same thing, that if I set control manually, then the air should stay constant at the set temperature.

I will try that when I get the car back from the shop today.
What bothers me the most is that non-air-conditioned air is getting into the cabin. I absolutely hate humidity and the smell

Btw, 60 is way too cold for me , I like it around 73-75.
thanks
Max
Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
I've never had this issue with my car. Is the button that says A/C illuminated at all? Maybe what you are getting is just the fan possibly. Do you have any aftermarket stuff installed? Something that would possibly be taping into your wires??
Thanks for reply. No aftermarket stuff at all. All systems are stock so far. Good point about A/C button. I will check it out as well.

Originally Posted by KillaKam
You should check out CTNISSANS.org its a new web site forum that me and my buddy started its also car club as well. There is a NYC BBQ coming up Aug 1st it would be awesome if we could get another 7th gen maxima to cruise down with us?? We also meet up on the Berlin Turnpike usually on the weekends...
I will definitely check it out.
thanks
Max
Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 AM

Yep, your experiencing normal "Auto" as the car adjusts the temps. to keep at your set level.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The A/C should be constantly dehumidifying the air coming into the cabin as long as the outside temp is above freezing. The system blends air through the heater core to adjust air delivery temperature in order to maintain the set cabin temp.
You shouldn't have any humidity in the car.
No "unconditioned" air should enter the cabin.
This information is also in your owners manual.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The A/C should be constantly dehumidifying the air coming into the cabin as long as the outside temp is above freezing. The system blends air through the heater core to adjust air delivery temperature in order to maintain the set cabin temp.
You shouldn't have any humidity in the car.
No "unconditioned" air should enter the cabin.
This information is also in your owners manual.
The dealer just called. He said everything is proper and working as expected. I will grab the owners manual and see what it says there. Thanks for the tip.
Max
Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM

Make sure the recirculate button is not on. A lot of times when the air first comes on the system automatically switches to that mode. If you leave it on that position all the time that is when you will start to get that stale air smell.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:00 PM

I just wanted to followup on my post.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

First, the dealer said everything was performing to spec.

I tried all the things suggested in this thread, and realized that with the Auto climate control, you are kind of stuck with the auto brains in the system. I.e. you can't blow a certain temperature air, what you get is cool air adjusted for temperature of the cabin. From that prospective what I was experiencing kinf of makes sence. If the temperature outside and inside are almost the same, the compressor will cycle on and off just barely cooling the air.
I also had the two front air vents pointed directly at me, so I could feel the gradations of air temperature.
What I have done is redirected the vents to not blow at me. This way, I dont feel the temperature and the fact that it flactuates all the time will not bother me. Since the warm days are finally here in CT, I can test A/C to its full potential, and it is doing it's job well.

The air cooled seats are super fun too

thanks
Max
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM

I can attest that the dog days of August have gripped Connecticut.

My AC works fine in this weather and has overwhelming power to generate cold dehumidified air. Even on a hot day, I must temper the air flow (warm it) else it will be too cold. I do not use "auto" mode.

I suspect you may be using auto mode and are getting a cycling effect.

The cooled seat is also great. Don't forget the sunshade on the back window.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 PM

I might be considered either an 'abuser' or 'overuser', but I have kept the driver's seat air conditioning switch to 'ON' since the end of April (my fanny has never felt so good!), and have had the rear window sunscreen up continuously since the middle of May. I will probably turn the driver's seat AC off in November, but may leave the rear window sunscreen up forever.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
I tried all the things suggested in this thread, and realized that with the Auto climate control, you are kind of stuck with the auto brains in the system. I.e. you can't blow a certain temperature air, what you get is cool air adjusted for temperature of the cabin.

Max
Yes works the same way in your home and your oven...