7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Black Is Back, GoodBye Chrome. NeW PiCs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Black Is Back, GoodBye Chrome. NeW PiCs

Ok so my project to get rid of chrome is coming along. So far the wheels have gone from stock 18's to sport 19's and painted k51 color code which is a very dark grey. Next on my list was pushing out the rear wheels just a little so installed H & R's 5mm spacers, no need to put in bigger studs. Then I replaced the chrome lug nuts with Nismo 34mm LugNuts, and replaced the Plastic air valve stem with Nismo Valve Stem. Next I wanted to get rid of the awful Chrome and give this car a sporty look. So we painted the door handles black and the push botton Silver Grey, the trimming on the front bumper grille recieved black replacing any chrome, the window lining recieved also a SilverGrey color, the rear and front emblems also recieved Silver Grey and as well as the chrome piece under the rear emblem. Next we installed Stillens front lip and rear upper wing. Last thing was getting the Rear taillights painted to give it that smoked look. Next thing on the list is Eibach springs, which hopefull will be in by the end of this week or early next week (Cmon Josh tell those people to get those springs rolling already). So thats it for now here are some pics, any compliments or negative remarks are welcomed. Not all of us have the same taste, so I don't expect all of you to like what I did. I know most of you are into the 22's and the chrome, just not my style.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Wow, nice work man that looks awesome. I really like what you've done.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:23 PM

wow! that is amazing totally love it...awesome good job man
Old 06-22-2009, 06:03 PM

i think the black rims are an "acquired" taste....personally, i have never been able to acquire it...

everything else is money
Old 06-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Thanx for the feedback. As for black being an aquired taste i totally understand MrBlack13.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I've always thought black cars needed chrome to balance things out. You proved this to be incorrect. Nice work.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 PM

Looks great, I agree needs springs bad!
Tell me more about how you did the door trim and grille.
My brother-in-law has painted cars professionally for many years and
recommended against painting the chrome as it would never really adhere properly. I can't get him to do much for me but I trust he knows what he is talking about. Give me anymore detail you can.
Also, I was interested in the spacers, are they hubcentric?
Again, car looks great!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Dude.. lower that thing already! WTH???
Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 PM

Did MC&A do all of your work? I was going to check them out to smoke my tail lights.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 PM

looks real goood! will look sick with a drop.. continue the great work
Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 PM

Overall it looks sick...Very aggressive!

I think it would look better without the spoilers...
Old 06-23-2009, 03:55 AM

not bad
Old 06-23-2009, 04:16 AM

Did you install the front lip yourself? Just wondering how hard the install is... I'm dying to get one.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MMMM...nice and stealthy. Looks great!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:44 AM

Yes MC&A did all the work. They do really good work but r a lil expensive. But as long as im happy then thats all that matters. Yea i cant wait to drop this baby. The eibachs will b perfect bcz they drop the rear more than the front and with the lip i dont want it too dropped in the front. No way could i see this car without any spoilers it would take away from its sportiness and aggressiveness. Would like a more agressive exhaust look. So i usually start with looks and next will be handling and then performance. I must say i'm in love with my Maxima.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks much better, particularly the painted door handles! Nice job keeping it bling free.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 AM

Maybe they should have used this car in the re-make of Knight Rider. Maybe they wouldnt have canceled it.

Nice Job! Where did you get the 19" rims from. I have been looking for them and dont know where to get any.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM

That looks awsomes, Makes me with i got my car in black now. Very sleek
Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Man, that car of yours is HOTTT, I luv the black on black motif. Once you lower it that thing will look menacing.

Great job, I'll be stealing your pics to show to my friends.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM

man that is awesome, i cant find anyone down here to paint my chrome
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM

Looks awesome i intend to do the same but why didnt you black out the chrome in the back? and also did you paint or tint the chrome?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM

havent seen that yet...i like
Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM

Those wheels are awesome.

You didn't get the chrome window trim, or the chrome piece over the license plate? I think they would look very clean painted a gloss black.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Wanted to be a little different so instead of blacking out the window trim and the rear under trim, I decided to paint it a dark grey, to give it a little scheme. I like it, sure i could of blacked out the whole thing, but then it would of just been another blacked out nissan, figured I'd add a little touch of my own. This car looks even better in person, those pictures really don't do it justice. But i'm sure that if i blacked out the rear trim and the window trim, i would of just been just as happy.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MaxDOuT
Wanted to be a little different so instead of blacking out the window trim and the rear under trim, I decided to paint it a dark grey, to give it a little scheme. I like it, sure i could of blacked out the whole thing, but then it would of just been another blacked out nissan, figured I'd add a little touch of my own. This car looks even better in person, those pictures really don't do it justice. But i'm sure that if i blacked out the rear trim and the window trim, i would of just been just as happy.
Either way it looks great man, I am glad you didn't go with complete black out. Been a fan from the beginning
Old 06-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Absolutely beautiful.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 AM

wow...

finally a nice looking 7th gen.....
Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks great. I think the rear thing over the license plate should be blacked out and the rear nissan logo removed. Are there holes under the logo? Another color you could have considered is black chrome instead of the silver grey. I would have also blacked out the trim around the windows since the silver grey trim seems to break up the smoothness in my eye. Id like to see the inside of the headlights blacked out too. Any thoughts on that? Is there a mesh grill for the 7th Gen. If so, a black or sliver/grey mesh grill would look great. Another thought is to have a colored lip on ur rims to break up the blackness.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 PM

wow. man Looks Awesome. good decision man, looks MEANNN.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM
*moderator*

Looks great, now be the first to paint the headlights black inside!!! That would bring it together nicely!!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool

hey man i reaaly dig the style it looks sick just wanted to ask how you think black painted rims of the same ones you have would look on my winter frost color sv sport? or if not what color you think would be good. i was thinkin of getting it black with a red thin stripe going around the edge of the rim what you think?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 AM
nycnissans

Originally Posted by MaxDOuT
Ok so my project to get rid of chrome is coming along. So far the wheels have gone from stock 18's to sport 19's and painted k51 color code which is a very dark grey. Next on my list was pushing out the rear wheels just a little so installed H & R's 5mm spacers, no need to put in bigger studs. Then I replaced the chrome lug nuts with Nismo 34mm LugNuts, and replaced the Plastic air valve stem with Nismo Valve Stem. Next I wanted to get rid of the awful Chrome and give this car a sporty look. So we painted the door handles black and the push botton Silver Grey, the trimming on the front bumper grille recieved black replacing any chrome, the window lining recieved also a SilverGrey color, the rear and front emblems also recieved Silver Grey and as well as the chrome piece under the rear emblem. Next we installed Stillens front lip and rear upper wing. Last thing was getting the Rear taillights painted to give it that smoked look. Next thing on the list is Eibach springs, which hopefull will be in by the end of this week or early next week (Cmon Josh tell those people to get those springs rolling already). So thats it for now here are some pics, any compliments or negative remarks are welcomed. Not all of us have the same taste, so I don't expect all of you to like what I did. I know most of you are into the 22's and the chrome, just not my style.

headlights are sticking out now, black out the housings but car looks good
Old 07-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Can someone help me fix this picture issue? 90% of the time someone posts pics they just show up with little red "X" and picture doesn't show...
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM

that looks sickk man. really diggin the black. i like it alot more than chrome.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:45 AM

just smoke those headlight housings and youre set... i love it good work... however i kind of feel that strip above the license plate should be painted body color, but i can see why you did it the way you did to give it an accent consistent with the emblems. beautiful work though, and im a fan of subtlety so the oem rims painted looks awesome.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 PM

looks great man im looking to do the same thing to my grill and the chrome around the doors and handles....

my car is white so im gonna pain handles white and the grill and door chrome wet black to match the pillers........every body shop i ask to do it they give me this sob story on how it will chip but i think thats bullshizzle if you sand them and prime them very good .... but anyway... yea im getting my front lip painted today... hopefully i could get everything done before the meet on july 18 in ny

oh one more question why are you guys choosing eibech springs over H&R springs...the h&r's lower the car more by .1

and H&R gives you lifetime warrenty and plus they from germany so u cant go wrong with that... to bad they on back order =(
Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM

yoo soo sexyyyy
Old 07-24-2009, 04:01 PM

Painting the housing of my headlights to black is the next upgrade and boy is it going to make a huge difference. Will keep you guys updated.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jacejax
Tell me more about how you did the door trim and grille.
My brother-in-law has painted cars professionally for many years and
recommended against painting the chrome as it would never really adhere properly. Give me anymore detail you can.
Again, car looks great!

jacejax - Since nobody has responded to your question so far, I will say that the only way I have been able to get paint to stick over chrome is to rough up the chrome surface enough to give the paint something to grip.
A five sandpaper should do the trick.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 PM

MaxDOuT - What can I say, bro? You have taken this thing to another level. Some here want you to black out everything.
All black is great, but has been done by so many folks over the years. It is nice to see some artistic variation, which you have done with the gray accents.
I think that is a classy touch, and truly makes your car unique. Many folks are enamoured with 22" wheels and tires.
I agree 22" wheels and tires look fine, but if a car is to be really driven on the open road, roads with potholes, twisting driveways
with drain gullies at the entrance, etc, 19" wheels and tires have many advantages over 22" wheels and tires.

If I see your car on the roadway, you better believe I will notice. You will know it is me going by if you see me gaping at your car with my jaw on my chest.

Quick Reply: Black Is Back, GoodBye Chrome. NeW PiCs