7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

May Maxima Sales

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 PM

May Maxima Sales

Maxima sales are up again compared to last year. Maybe it is fleet sales I do not know but in this poor economy this car is selling. I find the maxima gets trashed for not being up to the g37 standards( ie why would you buy a maxima when you can buy a g37, TL , Genesis) but sales do not lie this car is a success so far.

NISSAN HIGHLIGHTS
• Nissan vehicles saw sales of 60,993 units in May compared with 90,379 units sold in May 2008, a 32.5 percent decrease.
• Launched May 5th, the all-new, uniquely styled 2009 cubeŽ saw sales of 1,745 units.
• The Rogue compact crossover increased sales of 11.0 percent from a year ago with 8,287 units, posting its largest monthly sales volume.
• Sales of the flagship Maxima sedan posted an 86.0 percent increase over year-ago, with sales of 6,082 units in May.

INFINITI HIGHLIGHTS
• Infiniti sales for May were 6,496 units, down from 10,495 units a year ago, a decline of 38.1 percent.

Here is a large stack( Mid lux & performance Cars) of cars for general comparison.

3 series-8621 -27.6%
Maxima-6082 +86.0%
C class-4842 -43.5%
ES-4125 -37.3%
5 series-3904 +0.1%
G37-3865 -30.1%
TL-3375 -18.4%
Lucerne-3307 -28.2%
Avalon-3211 -21.9
G8- 3081 +68.3%
MKZ-2988 -0.9%
Milan-2929 -38.2%
CTS-2914 -44.6%
IS-2913E -44.2%
TSX-2466 -43.9%
E class-2275 -43.5%
Genesis-2079 new
Lacrosse-1748 -48.6%
DTS-1520 -37.7%
CC-1419 +66.9%
MKS-1321 new
S80- 1088
Passat - 1,079 -70%
1 series- 1010 -42.8%

I hate to be a broken record but since the 09 max is doing so well I am sure a "sr" version would also sell. Altima 6speed geared with the proper gear ratios for the maxima engine and the downshift or rev-match technology fom the 370z. Nissan should let their engineers and designers take over and come up with a SR version (as they did with the 09 max) and it would be another winner.

Last edited by maxger; 06-02-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:19 PM

I'm surprised that that the Maxima showed such strong sales in May. While there are some good discounts ($1250 cash to dealer and sales incentives for sales numbers), a 86% jump in sales is good news for any car maker!

But I can't agree on the "SR" (Se-R?) version of the gen 7 Max. Adding a 6-speed FWD gearbox (with RevMatch technology, no less) to a A36 would cost a TON in terms of R&D resources. Furthermore, there's no strong evidence that a manual Maxima would ever sell enough units to ever recoup that investment. Sorry,Maxger, you're just wishing for the unattainable...
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 PM

I find the maxima gets trashed for not being up to the g37 standards( ie why would you buy a maxima when you can buy a g37, TL , Genesis) but sales do not lie this car is a success so far.

Every time I walk to get in my car and look at lines of the Max, I'm reminded why I bought it. G37 is nice, sleek, fast but lacks the wow factor for me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this car still has me infatuated by its looks and performance.

The TL and Genesis are relatively ugly compared to the Max. All that is an opinion but a lot of us share it or we would be driving one of the others. I'm guessing there are substantial rental sales in those numbers since a couple companies started offering the Maxima. Maybe it took a while to grow on some people...I like it more as time goes by.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 PM

'09 Maximas are selling well at both the lots my dealer operates. And the dealer internet manager I talk to says they are selling to individuals, not fleets.

I am seeing MANY more '09 Maximas on roads around where I live than I did just four months ago. And other drivers are still jerking their heads around as I go by. And other drivers are slowing to look as they enter my blind spot, just as I thought they were sailing on by me. Smug doesn't begin to describe my feelings.

I did look at the specs for the (ugly) TL, the (plain Jane) Genesis, and the (redo of what is now an older style) G37. Not only did I like the Maxima's looks far more than any of those three, but there were real-world reasons each of those three did not meet my wants and needs.

I don't see any of those three pretenders even coming close to selling as well as this beautiful '09 Maxima.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 AM

IMO Nissan Sales are doing great because Nissan is a company that understands what the consumer wants. A good reliable car with good MPG and MPH They understand that Design and Comfort as well as an affordable cost is important. AND THEY MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!! The American Car Companies are having such and issue with this its either hit or miss with them and they never compare to what the import market is bringing to the plate. Americans want a good car and the sales of Imported cars is showing this. Nissan Maxima the 09' is the best car for the money IMO and why buy an Infinity if you can get everything that you want in a complete package for the same price that you would get a base infinity for? I Love my maxima.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 AM

Good news, looks like the 3 series dominates in sales too.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 AM

When I was looking for a vehicle, the vehicle I had in mind was a Chrysler 300C. Not only was it boring to drive, cheap feeling interior and a pretty gutless V8 but the dealer didn't really want my service so that was out. My previous car was a 1991 300zx so I thought I would go to Nissan and see what the altima looked like. I walked into the dealership and saw the Maxima and I thought to myself that is the car. 4 hours later I walked out of the dealership with all the forms signed. Also, I did try the G8 out not the V8 but the V6. That car was HORRIBLE.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
'09 Maximas are selling well at both the lots my dealer operates. And the dealer internet manager I talk to says they are selling to individuals, not fleets.

I am seeing MANY more '09 Maximas on roads around where I live than I did just four months ago. And other drivers are still jerking their heads around as I go by. And other drivers are slowing to look as they enter my blind spot, just as I thought they were sailing on by me. Smug doesn't begin to describe my feelings.

I did look at the specs for the (ugly) TL, the (plain Jane) Genesis, and the (redo of what is now an older style) G37. Not only did I like the Maxima's looks far more than any of those three, but there were real-world reasons each of those three did not meet my wants and needs.

I don't see any of those three pretenders even coming close to selling as well as this beautiful '09 Maxima.
Alot of those number are to fleet sales....National and Enterprise (primarily National) have lots of 09's available for rental. Last week I saw a truck load of them being delivered to National at DFW airport.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Alot of those number are to fleet sales....National and Enterprise (primarily National) have lots of 09's available for rental. Last week I saw a truck load of them being delivered to National at DFW airport.

When fleet/rental buyers choose this car, that is saying they think it is the best combination of looks, performance, efficiency, reliability and desirability for the money.

And they are right.

It is even possible Nissan might 'sweeten the kitty' for these fleet sales, knowing some folks finding the fleet car/rental car they have been assigned is a Maxima, will like this car so much they will buy one as their personal car.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 AM

U sound like one of those cocky BMW drivers who think they have the best car in the world. The TL, Genesis, and G37 are all really really really tough competition for the maxima and can give it more than a run for its money. I love cars and appreciate the individuality of each car...u shud try and do that too before writing them off.BTW If u think the G37 does not sell as much as the new max then u shud get out more often...so far id say its about a 5:1 ratio of G37 to Maxima on the road
Old 06-04-2009, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
U sound like one of those cocky BMW drivers who think they have the best car in the world. The TL, Genesis, and G37 are all really really really tough competition for the maxima and can give it more than a run for its money. I love cars and appreciate the individuality of each car...u shud try and do that too before writing them off.BTW If u think the G37 does not sell as much as the new max then u shud get out more often...so far id say its about a 5:1 ratio of G37 to Maxima on the road

BLACKNESS - You might want to re-read my post again. I never said those other three cars were bad cars. I simply said that, for me, their styling leaves a lot to be desired, and does not compare favorably with the Maxima. I have heard other folks say the same thing. I also said the '09 Maxima will outsell each of them. I have no doubt that will be the case. I also said I dropped each of them from consideration for 'real world reasons'. As information, those reasons include such things as a strong preference for FWD and CVT. That is just the way I feel.

As for the G37 - The original post shows the '09 Maxima sold over 6,000 units last month, while the G37 sold 3800 or so. I simply said I'm not not seeing G37s around where I live. And that is the truth. Of course, even if they were here, I might have trouble spotting them, as their styling blends in with other traffic very well, and they just don't catch my eye. I never said the G37 was a bad car; I simply said the public will show its preference for the '09 Maxima over the G37. And it already is doing just that.

If you really like the current TL styling, then you are a unique person, as I have met nobody else who does. Sure, the car is very competent. But styling is a really big part of what we love about our cars. Even my son, who has driven nothing but TLs this entire decade, can only shake his head when he sees one of the new ones. No way the '09 TL will outsell the '09 Maxima.

As for the Genesis, I looked hard at that car, and tried to like it, but not one facet of its styling caught my attention. Its styling isn't bad, it is just very plain. For me, Ford Taurus styling looks as good as the Genesis. Of course, if you work undercover, and want a car nobody will notice, the Genesis might be right for you. I didn't say it was not a good car; I just think it loses badly when its styling is compared to the Maxima. I suppose you noted the snippet a few posts back, where Meim769 test-drove a Genesis and said it was HORRIBLE (his capitalization, not mine). Most test drivers have commented on its 'unsettled' (some used harsher words) ride. I definitely do not like an 'unsettled' ride.

As far as 'getting out more often', I have owned dozens of cars, have been driving for exactly sixty years this coming October, have driven in every state in the union except Alaska, and drive somewhere every day. And my wife will vouch for the fact I am constantly commenting on other vehicles we see as we drive.

I read everything I see about cars, and am well aware those other three cars have good technical stats. But I disagree with your statement that they can give the Maxima 'MORE than a run for its money'. When similarly equipped (I realize not all cars are 'similarly equippable' - for instance, the hard drive music box - one of my favorite features on the '09 Maxima, cannot be had on the Genesis), the Maxima certainly does not lag behind these three contenders.

I realize everyone has their own opinion about each vehicle, but if you really feel those other three cars give the Maxima MORE than a run for its money, you may be happier on the boards for those cars. Most folks here are Maxima fans. And, just like a sports fan feels his team is best, many Maxima fans feel their car is best. I certainly do. I am also willing to admit I have owned nothing but Maximas for 25 years as of this October, and am very partial to Maximas. That will invariably enter into my opinions.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:14 AM

About a month ago we started selling the hell out of Maximas! We had the same row of them for months, now they're gone, and every one we get in goes right away- interesting!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 AM

Talking

I will agree with Lightonthehill in everything he said on his last post! at least when i first saw this car I felt in love and didn't think it twice in getting it, this will be my 2 maxima in my 31 yrs of life and I'm proud love my maxima and I believe it stands out of the pack, I do get alot of compliments on styling and people dont believe is a maxima....
Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM

BLACKNESS - You might want to re-read my post again. I never said those other three cars were bad cars. I simply said that, for me, their styling leaves a lot to be desired, and does not compare favorably with the Maxima. I have heard other folks say the same thing. I also said the '09 Maxima will outsell each of them. I have no doubt that will be the case. I also said I dropped each of them from consideration for 'real world reasons'. As information, those reasons include such things as a strong preference for FWD and CVT. That is just the way I feel.

As for the G37 - The original post shows the '09 Maxima sold over 6,000 units last month, while the G37 sold 3800 or so. I simply said I'm not not seeing G37s around where I live. And that is the truth. Of course, even if they were here, I might have trouble spotting them, as their styling blends in with other traffic very well, and they just don't catch my eye. I never said the G37 was a bad car; I simply said the public will show its preference for the '09 Maxima over the G37. And it already is doing just that.

If you really like the current TL styling, then you are a unique person, as I have met nobody else who does. Sure, the car is very competent. But styling is a really big part of what we love about our cars. Even my son, who has driven nothing but TLs this entire decade, can only shake his head when he sees one of the new ones. No way the '09 TL will outsell the '09 Maxima.

As for the Genesis, I looked hard at that car, and tried to like it, but not one facet of its styling caught my attention. Its styling isn't bad, it is just very plain. For me, Ford Taurus styling looks as good as the Genesis. Of course, if you work undercover, and want a car nobody will notice, the Genesis might be right for you. I didn't say it was not a good car; I just think it loses badly when its styling is compared to the Maxima. I suppose you noted the snippet a few posts back, where Meim769 test-drove a Genesis and said it was HORRIBLE (his capitalization, not mine). Most test drivers have commented on its 'unsettled' (some used harsher words) ride. I definitely do not like an 'unsettled' ride.

As far as 'getting out more often', I have owned dozens of cars, have been driving for exactly sixty years this coming October, have driven in every state in the union except Alaska, and drive somewhere every day. And my wife will vouch for the fact I am constantly commenting on other vehicles we see as we drive.

I read everything I see about cars, and am well aware those other three cars have good technical stats. But I disagree with your statement that they can give the Maxima 'MORE than a run for its money'. When similarly equipped (I realize not all cars are 'similarly equippable' - for instance, the hard drive music box - one of my favorite features on the '09 Maxima, cannot be had on the Genesis), the Maxima certainly does not lag behind these three contenders.

I realize everyone has their own opinion about each vehicle, but if you really feel those other three cars give the Maxima MORE than a run for its money, you may be happier on the boards for those cars. Most folks here are Maxima fans. And, just like a sports fan feels his team is best, many Maxima fans feel their car is best. I certainly do. I am also willing to admit I have owned nothing but Maximas for 25 years as of this October, and am very partial to Maximas. That will invariably enter into my opinions.
If uve been driving for 60 years then u shud realize by now that each car has its pros and cons. I dont think the G37, Genesis or TL look better than the Max but each has its own pros and cons. For example the G and Genesis are both available with 2 dr and 4 dr, the G37 is available w/ AWD, and the Genesis is even available with a 2dr 4 cylinder. Its reasons like these which make some of the other cars more versatile than the max and therefore appeal to a much much broader crowd. That is just one of the reasons why those cars are such tough competition. Just go ask ur Nissan dealer how many ppl walk out saying "id rather just spend a couple more grand and get a G37 over a max or 370Z" if u dont believe me.

I owned a max too but i never said it was the best car in the world cuz i know different cars have it beat in different categories.

I'd rather have a REAL discussion about cars instead of jumping on the band wagon or being a fan boy.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 PM

I owned a max too but i never said it was the best car in the world cuz i know different cars have it beat in different categories.

I'd rather have a REAL discussion about cars instead of jumping on the band wagon or being a fan boy.

No 'band wagon' fan here. I have owned nothing but Maximas for 25 years for many very good reasons. The biggest reason being that, when all my preferences and needs are considered, and the cost, styling, reliability, features, etc, of the car are weighed, the Maxima actually IS the best car in the world for me, and the decision isn't even close. I wouldn't be driving it if it weren't.

Granted, the variations you mentioned are possible reasons some folks would lean to those cars. But for a person (me) who always has passengers aboard, a two-door would be totally unacceptable. I have never been a big fan of AWD (lowers MPG and gives something else to go wrong; I don't go off-road, either). I am only interested in FWD (drove RWD for 35 years, didn't like it). I believe in the future of the CVT, and love this new tight one on the '09 Maxima. I like a solid, controlled ride, and the Genesis is shaky there. I'm into style, and the TL - well, we all know about that. My son drives a TL, but is looking around. He told me today that, for the first time in his life, he is thinking Maxima. He really likes the '09 I have.

You are absolutely right that those other three cars are good cars, and there will be those folks who, for whatever needs and wants, witll opt for those other cars. But for my needs and wants, the Maxima has EVERYTHING I desire, and, for a variety of reasons, NONE of those other cars quite do that for me.

No, I'm not a 'bandwagon' Maxima fan, but after looking at all the technical stats, selling prices, reliability, styling and options, I feel sure there will be many more folks who, like me, understand the Maxima is the best overall combination as a practical family sedan that will also be a lot of fun to drive.

Others will naturally disagree.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 PM

No 'band wagon' fan here. I have owned nothing but Maximas for 25 years for many very good reasons. The biggest reason being that, when all my preferences and needs are considered, and the cost, styling, reliability, features, etc, of the car are weighed, the Maxima actually IS the best car in the world for me, and the decision isn't even close. I wouldn't be driving it if it weren't.

Granted, the variations you mentioned are possible reasons some folks would lean to those cars. But for a person (me) who always has passengers aboard, a two-door would be totally unacceptable. I have never been a big fan of AWD (lowers MPG and gives something else to go wrong; I don't go off-road, either). I am only interested in FWD (drove RWD for 35 years, didn't like it). I believe in the future of the CVT, and love this new tight one on the '09 Maxima. I like a solid, controlled ride, and the Genesis is shaky there. I'm into style, and the TL - well, we all know about that. My son drives a TL, but is looking around. He told me today that, for the first time in his life, he is thinking Maxima. He really likes the '09 I have.

You are absolutely right that those other three cars are good cars, and there will be those folks who, for whatever needs and wants, witll opt for those other cars. But for my needs and wants, the Maxima has EVERYTHING I desire, and, for a variety of reasons, NONE of those other cars quite do that for me.

No, I'm not a 'bandwagon' Maxima fan, but after looking at all the technical stats, selling prices, reliability, styling and options, I feel sure there will be many more folks who, like me, understand the Maxima is the best overall combination as a practical family sedan that will also be a lot of fun to drive.

Others will naturally disagree.
First of all, I personally wouldnt get a TL or Genesis over a Maxima either. The TL is ugly and the Genesis is still just a hyundai (regardless of how much that brand has improved)

Secondly, besides the people on this forum who are buying the new max, there arent many others who would spend $40k+ on a FWD family sedan. No matter how nice. People spending that kind of money want a Luxury BRAND not just a Luxury CAR.

Thirdly, how u can possibly say that FWD is better than RWD or AWD for a car of this price and caliber is unfathomable. Please explain why BMW and Mercedes are using only RWD or AWD. Are they stupid? or have they just not done the research?

Lets face it if u can afford this car u can afford to pay the little bit extra at the pump for AWD.

I wouldnt recommend a MAxima to anyone after all the problems u hear about in this forum and the horrific resale value.

Lastly, if u havent even owned anything but Maximas for the past 25 years then how could u possibly know what ur missing

I like the new maxima but i also like to be the voice of reason...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 AM

First of all, I personally wouldnt get a TL or Genesis over a Maxima either. The TL is ugly and the Genesis is still just a hyundai (regardless of how much that brand has improved)

Secondly, besides the people on this forum who are buying the new max, there arent many others who would spend $40k+ on a FWD family sedan. No matter how nice. People spending that kind of money want a Luxury BRAND not just a Luxury CAR.

Thirdly, how u can possibly say that FWD is better than RWD or AWD for a car of this price and caliber is unfathomable. Please explain why BMW and Mercedes are using only RWD or AWD. Are they stupid? or have they just not done the research?

Lets face it if u can afford this car u can afford to pay the little bit extra at the pump for AWD.

I wouldnt recommend a MAxima to anyone after all the problems u hear about in this forum and the horrific resale value.

Lastly, if u havent even owned anything but Maximas for the past 25 years then how could u possibly know what ur missing

I like the new maxima but i also like to be the voice of reason...

Gulp!!! $40K+!!! Wow!!! Your dealer will NEVER sell a Maxima at those prices.

I got the full works - Premium and Tech packages, splash guards, mats, trunk mats, etc, and paid LESS THAN $35K. There are those here who got exactly what I got and paid less than I did. And the base Maxima, which is a very good car with the same engine, tranny, etc, has been selling for LESS THAN $25K since last September. The Maxima is NOT in the price range of luxury vehicles.

I prefer FWD because I can better navigate over wet roads and light snow with FWD than with RWD. And you need to re-check the prices of the luxury brands with AWD. Those prices are NOWHERE CLOSE to what I paid for my Maxima. Pkus, the German brands have generally not been very reliable for many years.

I also prefer FWD because I like the feeling of the heavier front of the car PULLING the car through the corners, rather than that of the lighter rear of the car PUSHING the heavier front through the corners. I find FWD cars have less of a tendency for pushing (understeering) on curvy roads. Others naturally feel differently.

Mercedes, Audi and BMW use RWD because drivers who do ultimate performance racing prefer RWD, so buyers who like to feel they are getting a real performance car, and are very concerned with image, will buy only RWD, whether they ever plan to exceed 4K on their tach or not.

As for problems, do you REALLY think I would have stuck with the Maxima all these years if they were not giving me VERY reliable service? Folks may come here for help when they have problems, but if you look at the overall reliability of the Maxima in places like Consumer Reports, where many thousands of drivers input their woes, the Maxima is a reliable vehicle.

I have test-driven other vehicles somewhat similar to the Maxima (including Infinitis with every model change), and sometimes drive my son's TL and my brother-in-laws G35, and always found things I did not like. Also, I am not into 'luxury brands' for the sake of luxury brands. I would consider a Ford Taurus if the Maxima was not available. I have not drunk the 'Maxima Kool-Aid'. I choose the Maxima because it has exactly the combination of features, performance, styling, room, price, MPG, etc, that I want, and my nearby Nissan dealer is the best dealer of any make I have every dealt with. That makes me very happy.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-05-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 AM

Gulp!!! $40K+!!! Wow!!! Your dealer will NEVER sell a Maxima at those prices.

I got the full works - Premium and Tech packages, splash guards, mats, trunk mats, etc, and paid LESS THAN $35K. There are those here who got exactly what I got and paid less than I did. And the base Maxima, which is a very good car with the same engine, tranny, etc, has been selling for LESS THAN $25K since last September. The Maxima is NOT in the price range of luxury vehicles.

I prefer FWD because I can better navigate over wet roads and light snow with FWD than with RWD. And you need to re-check the prices of the luxury brands with AWD. Those prices are NOWHERE CLOSE to what I paid for my Maxima. Pkus, the German brands have generally not been very reliable for many years.

I also prefer FWD because I like the feeling of the heavier front of the car PULLING the car through the corners, rather than that of the lighter rear of the car PUSHING the heavier front through the corners. I find FWD cars have less of a tendency for pushing (understeering) on curvy roads. Others naturally feel differently.

Mercedes, Audi and BMW use RWD because drivers who do ultimate performance racing prefer RWD, so buyers who like to feel they are getting a real performance car, and are very concerned with image, will buy only RWD, whether they ever plan to exceed 4K on their tach or not.

As for problems, do you REALLY think I would have stuck with the Maxima all these years if they were not giving me VERY reliable service? Folks may come here for help when they have problems, but if you look at the overall reliability of the Maxima in places like Consumer Reports, where many thousands of drivers input their woes, the Maxima is a reliable vehicle.

I have test-driven other vehicles somewhat similar to the Maxima (including Infinitis with every model change), and sometimes drive my son's TL and my brother-in-laws G35, and always found things I did not like. Also, I am not into 'luxury brands' for the sake of luxury brands. I would consider a Ford Taurus if the Maxima was not available. I have not drunk the 'Maxima Kool-Aid'. I choose the Maxima because it has exactly the combination of features, performance, styling, room, price, MPG, etc, that I want, and my nearby Nissan dealer is the best dealer of any make I have every dealt with. That makes me very happy.
MSRP of Maxima is $40,125 + 12% tax ~ $45,000 FOR A BASE MODEL!!! which is definately in the price range of Luxury cars such as Infiniti G37 or Acura TL

Id really love to see a Maxima for under 25k. U cant even get a base model Altima for that much money. Atleast in Canada.

Anyways u are a person with very very unique preferences and experiences. For example prefering FWD nose heavy cars on curvy roads...are u serious? (its called oversteer) And ur one of the FEW lucky ones whos 6th gen maxima actually worked and ur one of the few who doesnt think their Nissan dealer is an A-hole.

RWD is not just about "image" lol. That has to be a typo rite? Everyone knows RWD handles better. Its too much asking the front wheels to steer and spin at the same time while u have nearly 300 rampaging horses being unleashed.

If u have test driven all those other vehicles then u shud understand my point clearly. There are always things u dislike in other cars BUT there should also be things that u LIKE or would want ur MAxima to have. Like come on are u seriously telling me that when u drove the TL u didnt want ur maxima to have that same type of blue lighting instead of that horrible orange crap?
Its the little things that ppl like and dislike about there cars. Saying u have the best car in every category is just silly and down rite ignorant.

Ive heard of so many ppl not thinkking about buying MAximas or Altimas cuz of the horrible orange lighting and cheap plastic interior. Lets face it Nissan quality is a step lower than most competition. I mean if we dont critisize then who will?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:54 AM

The maxima in canada is priced quite steeply. It comes with the sv trim as the base trim. So a base G37 and Tl is priced in the same range. The thing you have to look at is the options each have and based on the three cars the max probably has a few more options. The max is not priced very well in canada compared to the competition.

They sold aprox 4000 cars last month this month 6000. I am wondering how many cars can you attibute to fleet sales?

I am hoping this car has horrible resale because that is the main reason I buy my maximas used . It it to early to tell but I think this car will have a better resale than that of a 6th and 5th gens in my opinion.

Last edited by maxger; 06-05-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

so far id say its about a 5:1 ratio of G37 to Maxima on the road
Care to back this statement up?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Smile

Nissan went beyond in this new maxima much much better quality, and what can we say about de interior, I could sleep inside de car and yes there is some glitches but i believe dat they will be taken care its just like anything dat is new! I think Nissan is taking us to the next level, with this car .... I have no idea of the resale value since i been only 9 months with mine.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 AM

I got my Max here in canada for $40K CAD, that is around $36K USD. And by the way the G37 is way more adundant here then the new Max, I don't have any stats but that is just what I see on my daily commute. I think I have seen 3 09 Max's since end of April.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:15 AM

Yes the G37 does sell more in canada.

Sales for March in canada
Maxima 127
G35/37 310
Genesis 228

Aprils Sales and some base prices

April Numbers

Maxima
Genisis 370 Base Price 37,900
G35 324 Base Price 37,900
Maxima 133 Base Price 38,900
I do not think the sales jumped in may in canada like in the US.

It tells you that nissan is targeting the american market alot more and Maxima sales in canada do not add up for much in the whole "North American" Sales totals for the car.

You also have good lease rates on the maxima which we do not have (in Canada) and that is another factor in the big sales jump the last few months.

Last edited by maxger; 06-05-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by Mreim769
I got my Max here in canada for $40K CAD, that is around $36K USD. And by the way the G37 is way more adundant here then the new Max, I don't have any stats but that is just what I see on my daily commute. I think I have seen 3 09 Max's since end of April.
You just about right Mreim i got my just about same price here. and here in the Metro Atlanta area its really weird to see 09 max in 9 months i seen maybe 19 in my area u see more infinity for some reason, in my local dealer they are overstock with 09 max dat doesn't mean they are not selling just in my area nathing i own a carwash and u get to see lots of brands only 2 09's have stop and clean their car maybe is the economy!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 AM

Anyways u are a person with very very unique preferences and experiences. For example prefering FWD nose heavy cars on curvy roads...are u serious? (its called oversteer) And ur one of the FEW lucky ones whos 6th gen maxima actually worked and ur one of the few who doesnt think their Nissan dealer is an A-hole.

RWD is not just about "image" lol. That has to be a typo rite? Everyone knows RWD handles better. Its too much asking the front wheels to steer and spin at the same time while u have nearly 300 rampaging horses being unleashed.

If u have test driven all those other vehicles then u shud understand my point clearly. There are always things u dislike in other cars BUT there should also be things that u LIKE or would want ur MAxima to have. Like come on are u seriously telling me that when u drove the TL u didnt want ur maxima to have that same type of blue lighting instead of that horrible orange crap?
Its the little things that ppl like and dislike about there cars. Saying u have the best car in every category is just silly and down rite ignorant.
I agree
Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM

Lets face it Nissan quality is a step lower than most competition. I mean if we dont critisize then who will?
The people who will criticise will probably not end up being on this forum let alone this topic. Why are you bashing the Max on a Max forum? I am sure constructive (also known as productive) criticism would be more advantageous in this situation. Besides I have yet to come across a road at a safe speed in which my max showed significant signs of understeer (understeer is what happens to FWD vehicles) even at moderate speeds. You are taking the Max out of context. If I wanted a drifting machine I would have gotten a Supra.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Care to back this statement up?
Actually that statement is completely wrong.
I've seen about 5 or 6 09 Maxima's since they came out and probably hundreds of G37's
Maybe its just like this in Canada...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
The people who will criticise will probably not end up being on this forum let alone this topic. Why are you bashing the Max on a Max forum? I am sure constructive (also known as productive) criticism would be more advantageous in this situation. Besides I have yet to come across a road at a safe speed in which my max showed significant signs of understeer (understeer is what happens to FWD vehicles) even at moderate speeds. You are taking the Max out of context. If I wanted a drifting machine I would have gotten a Supra.
Im not bashing Im comparing.
In a non bias comparison the Maxima has its pros and cons. Just like every other car.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:45 PM

Check the sales figures..the Maxima is far ahead of the G in sales.

NISSAN DIVISION
May May Monthly CYTD CYTD CYTD
2009 2008 % chg 2009 2008 % chg
Nissan Division Total 60,993 90,379 -32.5 257,302 393,909 -34.7
Versa 5,031 10,378 -51.5 26,396 36,752 -28.2
Sentra 5,618 13,980 -59.8 28,414 48,186 -41.0
cube 1,745 0 0.0 1,745 0 0.0
Altima 18,408 34,428 -46.5 80,078 133,465 -40.0
Maxima 6,082 3,270 86.0 18,858 18,664 1.0
350/370Z 1,278 1,268 0.8 7,203 5,747 25.3
GT-R 146 0 0.0 717 0 0.0
Total Car 38,308 63,324 -39.5 163,411 242,814 -32.7
Frontier 3,111 4,119 -24.5 10,108 21,173 -52.3
Titan 1,623 2,163 -25.0 7,514 15,925 -52.8
Xterra 1,204 1,914 -37.1 6,238 14,033 -55.5
Pathfinder 1,419 2,382 -40.4 7,218 15,630 -53.8
Armada 784 1,212 -35.3 3,625 7,763 -53.3
Rogue 8,287 7,467 11.0 31,344 30,812 1.7
Murano 5,088 6,121 -16.9 23,800 37,331 -36.2
Quest 1,169 1,677 -30.3 4,044 8,428 -52.0
Total Truck 22,685 27,055 -16.2 93,891 151,095 -37.9
North American
produced 44,449 75,523 -41.1 192,493 320,019 -39.8
Car 35,139 62,056 -43.4 153,746 237,067 -35.1
Truck 9,310 13,467 -30.9 38,747 82,952 -53.3
Import 16,544 14,856 11.4 64,809 73,890 -12.3
Car 3,169 1,268 149.9 9,665 5,747 68.2
Truck 13,375 13,588 -1.6 55,144 68,143 -19.1

INFINITI DIVISION

Infiniti Division
Total 6,496 10,495 -38.1 32,144 52,565 -38.8
G Sedan 2,885 4,127 -30.1 12,365 21,079 -41.3
G Coupe 980 2,275 -56.9 4,776 9,875 -51.6
M 658 1,371 -52.0 4,268 7,555 -43.5
QX56 586 660 -11.2 1,769 4,166 -57.5
EX 540 1,201 -55.0 3,640 5,211 -30.1
FX 847 861 -1.6 5,326 4,679 13.8
Total Car 4,523 7,773 -41.8 21,409 38,509 -44.4
Total Truck 1,973 2,722 -27.5 10,735 14,056 -23.6

NISSAN & INFINITI

TOTAL VEHICLE 67,489 100,874 -33.1 289,446 446,474 -35.2
Total Car 42,831 71,097 -39.8 184,820 281,323 -34.3
Total Truck 24,658 29,777 -17.2 104,626 165,151 -36.6
Selling days 26 27 127 129
* All numbers include Hawaii

More than double the coupe and sedan combined. It is easy to make unsupported statements about any subject. Fax are fax..dat be wut it is u no?

Last edited by Mick7; 06-05-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 PM

MSRP of Maxima is $40,125 + 12% tax ~ $45,000 FOR A BASE MODEL!!! which is definately in the price range of Luxury cars such as Infiniti G37 or Acura TL

Id really love to see a Maxima for under 25k. U cant even get a base model Altima for that much money. Atleast in Canada.

**** BLACKNESS - You are talking CANADIAN dollars. Anyone who paid more than $35K
**** for a LOADED (Premium and Tech packages) in the Atlanta area did not do well at all.
**** Virtually every major Nissan dealer in the Atlanta metro area advertices the base '09
**** Maxima for under $25K. I can see why the Maxima is not selling in Canada.

**** I am talking about normal driving on curvy roads, not high-speed performance
**** driving. I have never had any problem with FWD on mountain roads. Conversely, I
**** have never had a RWD that was worth a flip on slick surfaces, while FWD always
**** gets me where I'm going.

**** I have no problem whatsoever with the orange dash lights. Nice warm color.
**** My problems with the TL include the ugly styling (VERY important for me), the fact
**** there is no Acura dealer near me, the way Acura and Honda treated my son when
**** the tranny kept breaking when his TL was new, and the fact an Acura equipped the
**** way I wanted was going to cost me more than the Maxima. I consider these to all
**** be perfectly valid reasons for me to consider the Maxima a much better choice.
**** I also found the '09 Maxima to handle extremely well, found its ride to be exactly
**** the right combination of firmness with comfort, and love the seamless CVT, with its
**** gas-saving low RPMs.

Ive heard of so many ppl not thinkking about buying MAximas or Altimas cuz of the horrible orange lighting and cheap plastic interior. Lets face it Nissan quality is a step lower than most competition. I mean if we dont critisize then who will?

**** You must recognize that there are those who like the orange lighting (NO car maker
**** puts a color NOBODY likes in a car. That wouldn't make sense). Just as several of
**** the mag testers, I found the interior materials in the new Maxima to be fine. The
**** premium leather in the seats is as good as I have ever seen in a car.

**** Of course the '09 Maxima is not perfect. I would like to be able to check the exact
**** psi of each tire (and spare) on the dash while driving. I would like for the outside
**** mirrors to have a power-fold option. I could probably think of a few other things.
**** But the shortcomings of this Maxima pale when compared to the shortcomings of
**** other cars I considered. That is just the way things are.

**** There are many good cars out there, and each one is just right for some large group
**** of folks. The Maxima won't be the best choice for many people. But when I weigh
**** all factors that are important to me, the Maxima is far-and-away the best choice.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:58 PM

great deals....
Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 PM

light: For 25-30k alot of ppl (myself included) would be jumping all over a new Max in Canada. Sadly that is the price of the Altima or Accord Base models!

TL, Genesis, or G37 all cost almost exactly the same as the Max around here...maybe for the simple fact that Acura or Infiniti is a "premium" brand or whatever other reason ppl are just not buying as many MAxima around here. So there is really no comparison between US and Canada.

Disturbingly I have seen more of the new TL's on the road than the New Max around here! Heck I've seen more Toyota Venza's on the road already than the new max!
(i personally think the Venza is overpriced and ugly)

Seriously Nissan Canada should drop the price atleast 5k...then all the ppl buying the Accord or Altima fully loaded models would easily consider the Base Max as an alternative

Last edited by BLACKNESS MONSTA; 06-05-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:24 AM

light: For 25-30k alot of ppl (myself included) would be jumping all over a new Max in Canada. Sadly that is the price of the Altima or Accord Base models!

TL, Genesis, or G37 all cost almost exactly the same as the Max around here...maybe for the simple fact that Acura or Infiniti is a "premium" brand or whatever other reason ppl are just not buying as many MAxima around here. So there is really no comparison between US and Canada.

Disturbingly I have seen more of the new TL's on the road than the New Max around here! Heck I've seen more Toyota Venza's on the road already than the new max!
(i personally think the Venza is overpriced and ugly)

Seriously Nissan Canada should drop the price atleast 5k...then all the ppl buying the Accord or Altima fully loaded models would easily consider the Base Max as an alternative

Count me as one who did not understand why Toyota bothered to come out with the Venza. There are so many similar vehicles already on the road that I can't tell one from another. Toyota has sixteen different vehicles to advertise and make room for on dealer lots. I always felt one of the unwise things GM did was to try too hard to cover all bases with all types vehicles. For instance, Chevy dealers had to have mega-lots just to have a representative stock of the various options of so many different vehicles.

I seem to remember two Canadian posters here last summer who were being quoted around $45K Canadian dollars for a new '09 Maxima. One of them gave up on the Maxima, and, if I recall correctly, the other actually bought his Maxima in the U.S. (for $7K less than quoted in Canada) and somehow managed to get it into Canada (at considerable extra expense in import taxes/tariffs/charges, or something like that).

That is a shame. Nissan went to the trouble of publishing separate Maxima brochures for Canada, adding daytime running lights just on the Maximas going to Canada, gave different names for most of the colors for Maximas going to Canada, then they charge luxury car prices for them. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Were I living in Canada, the Maxima just might not be my car of choice. Money does still 'speak.'

I regret you do not have a fair chance to shop the Maxima against other vehicles. With the prices Nissan wants for the Maxima in your area, you can probably do better with any of several other vehicles.

Shame on Nissan.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 AM

have seen more of the new TL's on the road than the New Max around here!
Same thing on the other side of canada. Seen a 09 tl yesterday and it came and left with an expression of UGGLY. Seen about 10 tls they are not hard to miss or avoid. I only seen one 09 maxima on may my way to work and I almost twisted my head off trying to get a good look at it.

Acura, Infinity and Lexus are held at a higher status than a luxury nissan in Canada. If infinity had had a version of the new max it probably would sell better. (That wouldn't be happening )

Usually a premium car cost 8 to 10 thousand more in canada ( in canadian funds) .

Last edited by maxger; 06-06-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:45 AM

As general info, I opened up the Atlanta newspaper Saturday and saw where Sutherland Nissan has four new '09 Maximas for sale at $23,888 each. That won't hurt Maxima sales.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:59 AM

As general info, I opened up the Atlanta newspaper Saturday and saw where Sutherland Nissan has four new '09 Maximas for sale at $23,888 each. That won't hurt Maxima sales.
http://www.nissansales.com/new_specials.cfm

09 Max for $22,688

Thats HALF the price of a Canadian Maxima...absolutely astonishing!!

But if i was buying something from this dealer I'd take the 09 Pathfinder for $18,988....Canadian price $40k plus Tax!!!

**After $2999 cash or trade equity ofcourse
Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 AM

BLACKNESS - Man, I really am sorry Nissan is giving my Canadian friends the royal shaft. I don't understand their reasoning. But try to look at the bright side; bet there isn't a Nissan executive anywhere on earth that gets to live in a more beautiful place than where you do - Vancouver.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Im not bashing Im comparing.
In a non bias comparison the Maxima has its pros and cons. Just like every other car.
You want to compare without bias join Consumer Reports.

Get real this is a Maxima forum, you'll have a positive bias towards almost anything Nissan on a Maxima forum.... This is like going into a Red Sox game at Fenway park and trying to get the fans standing around to agree that the Yankees are awesome it's just not going to happen EVER...
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM

the MAXIMA is SICK! and i got a SICK deal on it 0down 300 a month....shyyyyyyyyyizzle....im definatly not surprised that sales are up by that much of a margin...

i was always a nissan fan boy (my dad had nissans) and well yea...so im pleased to hear nissan is doing well...considering the fact that they went bankrupt back in 1999-2000

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 06-10-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 PM

BLACKNESS - Man, I really am sorry Nissan is giving my Canadian friends the royal shaft. I don't understand their reasoning. But try to look at the bright side; bet there isn't a Nissan executive anywhere on earth that gets to live in a more beautiful place than where you do - Vancouver.
I paid $36K USD for my Max with Sport Package here in Canada. I don't feel at all I got ripped off. All the prices are still relative. I feel I got by the far the best bang for my buck. I could have got a brand new Audi A4 2.0T for the same price but that was the base base base model. Instead I got a basically mid level model with more features.

Quick Reply: May Maxima Sales