7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Engine Ticking Noise??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM

Engine Ticking Noise??

So before i put my intake and exhaust on my car there was what i would describe as a ticking sound coming from my engine. I took it to the dealer and they took a listen and said that it was normal for the engine to do that. Since then i have installed my intake and exhaust in my car only performance upgrades i have at the moment. Today when i just had my car parked with the windows rolled down it seemed as though the ticking got louder since i've installed the stuff. This is the first time that it has been this loud. I popped the hood and took a listen and the ticking noise is defiantly louder. Anyone have any idea if this is normal or should i be worried?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 PM

U got gotted

I would keep taking it back to the dealer and tell them the ticking is getting louder, ticking is not something i would be taking lightly especially on a new car
Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 PM

i know your injectors makes a ticking noise, what oil do you use?. once i made the mistake and used 5w-30 and my car was ticking bad, i thought it was something serious, turned out the oil was too thin. as soon as i went to 10w-30, ticking went away. but you should definately bug the dealer about this, cuz once warranty is up, you SOL

Last edited by JAMAICANLOVRBOY; 05-29-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
U got gotted

I would keep taking it back to the dealer and tell them the ticking is getting louder, ticking is not something i would be taking lightly especially on a new car
ya see i have no club about these things. The only thing that i'm worried about is they are going to try to say that it has something to do with the intake that I installed or the exhaust or something.

Originally Posted by JAMAICANLOVRBOY
it could be your injectors ticking
What would cause that? I mean it is a new car i don't see what could cause that... Any ideas? I'm not knocking your opinion I was just looking for some insight on what usually causes that.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 PM

i know your injectors makes a ticking noise, what oil do you use?. once i made the mistake and used 5w-30 and my car was ticking bad, i thought it was something serious, turned out the oil was too thin. as soon as i went to 10w-30, ticking went away. but you should definately bug the dealer about this, cuz once warranty is up, you SOL
I use Nissans Oil... I have free oil changes for as long as i own the vehicle so they do all of the work for me over there. As far as ik they are using the required oil for the car.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:52 PM

i worked for lexus, and i know the is250/350 injectors are really loud, customers complain all the time. but its cuz they have direct injection, not sure if the 09 maxima is the same. direct injection has a lot more pressure and its shooting gas directly in the cylinder so the ticking is louder.

Last edited by JAMAICANLOVRBOY; 05-29-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 PM

i worked for lexus, and i know the is250/350 injectors are really loud, customers complain all the time. but its cuz they have direct injection, not sure if the 09 maxima is the same. direct injection has a lot more pressure and its shooting gas directly in the cylinder so the ticking is louder.
Im pretty sure that it is direct injection. Maybe the ticking noise is louder since i dont have the stock air box to muffle the sound coming from the engine on anymore?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 PM

is it ticking after you shut the car off or when the car is running
Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by G9Max
is it ticking after you shut the car off or when the car is running
its when the car is running usually in idle is when i hear it... Haven't really tried to take a listen when I was driving it. When i was on the highway coming back from work the peddle felt like it had some vibration in it a little around 85mph idk if that has anything to do with this at all.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Im pretty sure that it is direct injection. Maybe the ticking noise is louder since i dont have the stock air box to muffle the sound coming from the engine on anymore?
thats a possibility. i guess if you knew someone with intake to compare it to, see if their ticking is as loud with intake that would really help out alot. but not too many people have modified 09 maximas yet

Last edited by JAMAICANLOVRBOY; 05-29-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 AM

i hear the ticking after i park and shut off the car...am i good?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by ARosa1024
i hear the ticking after i park and shut off the car...am i good?

ARosa1024 - Totally different situation. You are normal and good. Most new vehicles do this, especially after a robust drive.

Wish I could say the same for poor old KillaKam. In the old days, his type noise would be a stuck valve, or a valve out of adjustment. With today's engines, who knows?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=lightonthehill

Wish I could say the same for poor old KillaKam. In the old days, his type noise would be a stuck valve, or a valve out of adjustment. With today's engines, who knows?[/QUOTE]

Looks like ima have to make a call to the dealership possible or just see if it gets any worse. What do you all think??
Old 05-30-2009, 11:20 AM

ticking is intake

the ticking is the intake!! i have the same knows thats only on idle!! you know that bracket the helps support the filter? it juss there to help hold it up but its not connected to the intake itself!! so the motor is moving back and forth while the bracket is stable!!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by eccentrichiphop
the ticking is the intake!! i have the same knows thats only on idle!! you know that bracket the helps support the filter? it juss there to help hold it up but its not connected to the intake itself!! so the motor is moving back and forth while the bracket is stable!!
my bracket is connected to the cone and then connected to the chassie... or did you mean something different?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Maybe your car was assembled in Palestine ?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nightshifter
Maybe your car was assembled in Palestine ?
lol ya maybe right.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 AM

I heard no ticking at idle in either of the two '09s I test drove last year, nor in the one I bought this January.

I would definitely take it to the dealer and remind him you had them listen to this ticking before you put your mods on, and they said it was normal. Then tell them you checked Maxima.org, and none of the '09 Maxima owners there have this ticking. Tell him you feel this should not be happening with a new car, and you want their records to show you brought this ticking to their attention BEFORE making any mods.

Not that this will get you any immediate action, but at least, you will have covered your 'rear bumper' in case this develops into a problem down the road.

I had this same ticking in several Studebakers, Chevys, Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles between 1949 and the 1970s, and the dealer was usually able to quiet the noise with a valve adjustment. I don't even know if valves are still adjustable these days.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:46 AM

maybe no oil? thats what happend in my 02 max same ticking and everything. I know yours is an 09 but they still have the vq35 right? its probably not getting any oil to the timechain tensioner, check your oil level. wouldnt hurt.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I heard no ticking at idle in either of the two '09s I test drove last year, nor in the one I bought this January.

I would definitely take it to the dealer and remind him you had them listen to this ticking before you put your mods on, and they said it was normal. Then tell them you checked Maxima.org, and none of the '09 Maxima owners there have this ticking. Tell him you feel this should not be happening with a new car, and you want their records to show you brought this ticking to their attention BEFORE making any mods.

Not that this will get you any immediate action, but at least, you will have covered your 'rear bumper' in case this develops into a problem down the road.

I had this same ticking in several Studebakers, Chevys, Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles between 1949 and the 1970s, and the dealer was usually able to quiet the noise with a valve adjustment. I don't even know if valves are still adjustable these days.
I already have the record paper from the last time that i went. The dealership writes everthing down in a comment box and then they put down there corrections if any for it. So i'm all covered there. Maybe i'll just wait it out now and see what happens. Or like you said I could still bring it back there and just have them check it again and give me a statement that way i have one for after i put the mods on as well.

Originally Posted by Nevermore
maybe no oil? thats what happend in my 02 max same ticking and everything. I know yours is an 09 but they still have the vq35 right? its probably not getting any oil to the timechain tensioner, check your oil level. wouldnt hurt.
Yea still vq35, i take my car to the dealership for an oil change about every 3,000 miles so if its not getting enough oil the dealership is the one who messed up there. Can you say newer car
Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 AM

Here is what was on my statement last time i went to the dealer

52 WHEN GETTING UP TO HIGHWAY SPEEDS OR LONG DRIVES THE ENGINE SEEMS TO LAG. ON LONG TRIPS THE CAR ALSO VIBRATES A LITTLE. ALSO THERE IS A SLIGHT NOISE WHEN GETTING UP TO SPEED COMING FROM THE ENGINE WHEN THE GAS PEDDLE IS BEING PUSHED. NO PROBLEM FOUND VEHICLE IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED

That noise when getting up to speed was a slight ticking noise that i was able to hear with little wind noise and the radio and ac off.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 AM

ARosa1024 - Totally different situation. You are normal and good. Most new vehicles do this, especially after a robust drive.

Wish I could say the same for poor old KillaKam. In the old days, his type noise would be a stuck valve, or a valve out of adjustment. With today's engines, who knows?
thats just the metal (exhaust)expanding and contraciting from the heat
Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM

thats just the metal (exhaust)expanding and contraciting from the heat

Exactly right. Perfectly normal.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM

Hi all, listen I'm not sure if this is exactly the same thing but I wanted to get your thoughts and impressions on this. You know that knocking and pinging noise cars make once you turn them off in the garage and they are cooling off? Well I'm having that noise like all my previous cars when I turn my Maxima off, but my Maxima is doing this ALSO at idle and while I'm driving? I have never heard this sound before while at idle/driving in any of my previous cars and it can get quite loud. The engine is loud to begin with but this noise is really making it sound annoying and unrefined.

I use Shell 93 Octane since I got the car 6 months ago so it can't be an issue with what kind of gas I'm using. You guys have any ideas?

Last edited by smarty666; 03-30-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM

The maxima does NOT have direct injection. The ticking after a long drive, is usually from the exhaust system cooling down. very normal
Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 2010BlackMax
The maxima does NOT have direct injection. The ticking after a long drive, is usually from the exhaust system cooling down. very normal
No the engine noise he is talking about is coming from the engine. I started this thread a while ago as soon as I heard my car doing it.

From what I understand it is normal and a lot of cars do it. I doubt that there is anything to be concerned about. It gets a lot more noticeable once you install an intake on it IMO though.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
No the engine noise he is talking about is coming from the engine. I started this thread a while ago as soon as I heard my car doing it.

From what I understand it is normal and a lot of cars do it. I doubt that there is anything to be concerned about. It gets a lot more noticeable once you install an intake on it IMO though.
I am only concerned because it is happen at idle and while driving. I have never heard this knocking/pinging noise in any of my previous vehicles except once the engine was turned off and cooling down in the garage or driveway. I don't think your suppose to be hearing it while at idle or the car is moving. I mean the car is only 6 months old, I don't think something is terribly wrong but the sound is annoying and makes the car sound unrefined. My Acura and Infiniti don't do this when the engine is running.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
I am only concerned because it is happen at idle and while driving. I have never heard this knocking/pinging noise in any of my previous vehicles except once the engine was turned off and cooling down in the garage or driveway. I don't think your suppose to be hearing it while at idle or the car is moving. I mean the car is only 6 months old, I don't think something is terribly wrong but the sound is annoying and makes the car sound unrefined. My Acura and Infiniti don't do this when the engine is running.
Unfortunately, I think you may be due for a trip to the service dept. My 09 certainly doesn't make any sound remotely like that (but for the aforementioned "cool down effect.") Unlike Killakam, I've done no mods, but he did mention he experienced it before as well. Is it bad gas or something more insidious, I really can't say, but if it continues to get more noticable I would think it is mechanical in nature.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
Unfortunately, I think you may be due for a trip to the service dept. My 09 certainly doesn't make any sound remotely like that (but for the aforementioned "cool down effect.") Unlike Killakam, I've done no mods, but he did mention he experienced it before as well. Is it bad gas or something more insidious, I really can't say, but if it continues to get more noticable I would think it is mechanical in nature.
Yeah, I most likely will mention it and I do have to take it back in because my passenger front seat is still vibrating/shaking after they did the suppose fix on it so they need to work on the car again. Its the damnest thing though because it is the exact same noise the car makes when its cooling down in the garage except the car is also doing it at idle and when driven.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 AM

Killakam... for what its worth i've installed the stillen intake and don't have ticking noises at idle or while driving. no other mods done. i've had my '10 since December and have no problems. knock on wood... I plan to install RL y-pipe soon. good luck with the dealership.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 AM

To the OP, this is just my opinion so Im just sharing.

How do you drive your car, do you let it warm up, casually drive it at moderate speeds or are you heavy on the gas pedal with a cold engine.

When I had my 06, driven hard, but maintained by the book, synthetic oil, 93 octane, properly warmed up, I had more then a few people ask me if I just got it and it had 60k on it, and these where people with 6th gens with 20-30k on them and the cars sounded like they had 150k plus on them.

Drive the car hard from the start and you will prematurely age it.

If thats not the case then maybe the Infiniti VQ37 with the valve knocking or taping and needing the Nissan Ester Oil is true, that is why Nissan recommended it for the 7th Gen Maxima.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
To the OP, this is just my opinion so Im just sharing.

How do you drive your car, do you let it warm up, casually drive it at moderate speeds or are you heavy on the gas pedal with a cold engine.

When I had my 06, driven hard, but maintained by the book, synthetic oil, 93 octane, properly warmed up, I had more then a few people ask me if I just got it and it had 60k on it, and these where people with 6th gens with 20-30k on them and the cars sounded like they had 150k plus on them.

Drive the car hard from the start and you will prematurely age it.

If thats not the case then maybe the Infiniti VQ37 with the valve knocking or taping and needing the Nissan Ester Oil is true, that is why Nissan recommended it for the 7th Gen Maxima.
Well I can't speak for the OP, but my Max is only 6 months old so it could not be premature aging. I just have slightly over 5k miles on it and its been making the knocking/pinging noise for about 2 months now. I had my first oil change at my Nissan dealer so the oil is good and I use Shell 93 Premium so the gas is good. Just doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM

I have not had any ticking or clicking sound from my 5th, 6th or 7th gen Maxima engines, and would take a dim view of any service tech who said such ticking or clicking was 'normal.' I might accept that the sound may not necessarily portend trouble, but I would not accept that it is totally 'normal.'

I know these ticking/clicking sounds in engines of twenty to sixty years ago meant a valve or valve tappet adjustment was needed, but with today's engines, it may mean an ET is trapped inside, and wants to get out before he misses the last starship back to Zeta Reticuli.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 PM

I have not had any ticking or clicking sound from my 5th, 6th or 7th gen Maxima engines, and would take a dim view of any service tech who said such ticking or clicking was 'normal.' I might accept that the sound may not necessarily portend trouble, but I would not accept that it is totally 'normal.'

I know these ticking/clicking sounds in engines of twenty to sixty years ago meant a valve or valve tappet adjustment was needed, but with today's engines, it may mean an ET is trapped inside, and wants to get out before he misses the last starship back to Zeta Reticuli.
But like I said light, I've heard this sound on all my cars before, its the same noise they make when you shut them off and they are cooling down in the garage, except its happening when the engine is running.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 PM

But like I said light, I've heard this sound on all my cars before, its the same noise they make when you shut them off and they are cooling down in the garage, except its happening when the engine is running.

There are hints of clicks and taps that are often associated with an engine running at idle, and that are not very worrisome. But if my engine is making these sounds at a CLEARLY NOTICABLE LEVEL at idle with the HOOD CLOSED, and OUTSIDE (not in an enclosed garage, where every sound is overly magnified) then I would be having a discussion with my dealer. It has always been a point of pride with me that I have trouble being able to tell if my Maxima engine is running or not unless I look at the dash instruments.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 PM

The way I see it is, the service departments don't want to service vehicles that they think DON'T need imminent attention.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214
The way I see it is, the service departments don't want to service vehicles that they think DON'T need imminent attention.
Thats why you have to complain, nag nag nag and insists. If you don't make a stink, they just poo poo it off. The problem is, vehicles like the Murano and Maxima are just as expensive as luxury division models yet Nissan does not want to give the same level of service and attention you would get with Infiniti, Acura, or Lexus. Well too bad! If you want to charge luxury prices you better give luxury service.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Do you guys think this constant knocking/clinging/pinging noises in the engine bay that I'm having could be from the oil Nissan uses? I had the first oil change at 3750 at my local Nissan dealer and the slip says they used regular oil. I was wandering, perhaps the Maxima needs a high grade synthetic oil like Valvoline, Castrol, etc? Do you think this could be causing all this ridiculous amount of pinging/clinging sounds?

Again, I know its not the gas since I've used Shell Premium since the day I had the car so it can't be due to the fuel.

Any thoughts on the oil issue?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Do you guys think this constant knocking/clinging/pinging noises in the engine bay that I'm having could be from the oil Nissan uses? I had the first oil change at 3750 at my local Nissan dealer and the slip says they used regular oil. I was wandering, perhaps the Maxima needs a high grade synthetic oil like Valvoline, Castrol, etc? Do you think this could be causing all this ridiculous amount of pinging/clinging sounds?

Again, I know its not the gas since I've used Shell Premium since the day I had the car so it can't be due to the fuel.

Any thoughts on the oil issue?
At first i was annoyed my dealership didn't throw in any oil changes for me, but if they were going to put nonsynth in it i think i'm glad they didn't.... I'm not mechanically inclined in the least, but i wouldn't put anything but synth in my Max.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm going to wait till the oil change at 7500 and but a high grade synthetic in it and see if that makes a difference, if not, I'll be taking it in. I expect my Nissan dealer to pull the old, that is what its suppose to sound like bull sh$%

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise??