7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Stillen Intake Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:41 AM

Stillen Intake Install

Here is the install of my Stillen Intake:

Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Can anyone tell me what this is for? The Stillen tube didn't have anything to insert this in. Does anyone know what its use is for or if this should be covered? What did you who have the intake do with this?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Is there a huge difference and sound or either power
Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by NiteCrawler
Is there a huge difference and sound or either power
Oooooo yeah... I opened him up on the high way. Sooooo much more power. The sounds is amazing. If you step on it it really goes thats all i gotta say. I defiantly am happy that i bought this.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Looks good man, how long did it take you?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will the installation of the high flow intake help in achieveing better gas mileage seeing as the engine wiould breath bettter?
Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gturbine
Will the installation of the high flow intake help in achieveing better gas mileage seeing as the engine wiould breath bettter?
If you can keep your foot out of it.. yes..
Old 05-17-2009, 05:09 PM

I have to agree I absolutely love my intake!!! Paired with the Stillen Full catback exhasut system it's a DREAM to drive. I have found myself having to get off the pedal quite often because I just love how she sounds so much, I would not have had it any other way!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Looks good man, how long did it take you?
It took about 40 min. to do. I'm new to this stuff so it took me a little longer to do. If you know what your doing it should be very quick.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
If you can keep your foot out of it.. yes..
I've been driving it the same way I use to drive when i had my stock air box and i always used my range indicator to determine how my driving habits are. Now driving the same i feel like my range is decreasing instead of gaining at times. Any reason why this could be happening? I'm loving the intake though. Great power (Opened the best up before i refueled) and amazing sounds.

Also josh can you tell me why there was no connector on the kit for the thing i have circled in read up at the top of the page? Just wanna make sure that its nothing important and I at least know what it is.

Last edited by KillaKam; 05-17-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Not ignoring your question.. I haven't installed this intake personally, so I'll take the photo to our R&D department tomorrow and get the scoop.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
Not ignoring your question.. I haven't installed this intake personally, so I'll take the photo to our R&D department tomorrow and get the scoop.
Alright thanx. I if i knew what that part was i would be a little more ok with it but its just like there and you can literally move it forward and all the way back to the fire wall.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 PM

That looks great almost factory, Stillen does such great work I've never been disappointed with any of their products.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
That looks great almost factory, Stillen does such great work I've never been disappointed with any of their products.
Ya they do do great work... I've never ordered from them and this is the first time that i've ever moded a car and i love their products. Very good quality.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Let us know about the part under the air intake! I am installing mine tonight!!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by swatcop
I will as soon as i find out what it is.. I still have no clue at this moment...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 AM

Yes, it looks like a breather should be in place there and I hope Stillen resolves this issue.

I'd wait to order until this gets cleared up.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Man that looks sweet, can't wait to put mine in, I get it tomorrow! BTW thnx for the pics from all angles, looks awesome.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM

tube for stock intake

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Can anyone tell me what this is for? The Stillen tube didn't have anything to insert this in. Does anyone know what its use is for or if this should be covered? What did you who have the intake do with this?

that is part of the intake that juss grab more air for the filter.... you could take it out i did!!! dont need it!!! juss grab it and pull it out, should have juss one or no bolts that hold it on
Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Agree, pull that air tube out. It useless once you install the intake. Its not bolted to anything just like he said.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha
Yes, it looks like a breather should be in place there and I hope Stillen resolves this issue.

I'd wait to order until this gets cleared up.
Ya i ended up having to go to the dealer today to ask them a question and i had my buddy check it out after he drove it a bit to hear the sound. He said that it really had no purpose just vent for the factory intake. So no more worries.

Originally Posted by eccentrichiphop
that is part of the intake that juss grab more air for the filter.... you could take it out i did!!! dont need it!!! juss grab it and pull it out, should have juss one or no bolts that hold it on
How did you take it out? Where are the bolts located at? I just wanna make sure that i know where everything is and i do it right cause if something ever goes wrong i'm going to put all the stock stuff back on before i go to the dealer.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by alexishaze
Man that looks sweet, can't wait to put mine in, I get it tomorrow! BTW thnx for the pics from all angles, looks awesome.
No problem happy to help everyone out. I'll be taking a video of the intake noise as soon as i find some spare time. Possibly tomm.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was wondering those this void the warranty because i am interested on doing this and cat back is the group sale still going on?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 PM

i have the same question, does the stillen intake void the warranty?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ImSooFlyy23
I was wondering those this void the warranty because i am interested on doing this and cat back is the group sale still going on?
Originally Posted by G9Max
i have the same question, does the stillen intake void the warranty?
No adding an Intake or anything to that matter doest not void any factory warranty UNLESS say the dealership CAN PROVE THAT WHAT YOU INSTALLED IS THE REASON FOR THE DAMAGED PART!!

Example: Someone has one of those cold air intakes that go to the bottom of their car. Now their are driving and hit a puddle of water and their intake sucks the water into the engine. The engine now has water in the engine and hydrolocks. If the dealership can prove that your intake is what caused the issue THEN THE WARRANTY ON THE ENGINE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. EVERYTHING ELSE WILL STILL BE UNDER WARRANTY.

Note: I am not an expert; this is knowledge that i have gained from surfing the web. There is a law on the books specifically about this issue with aftermarket products. Maxima.org nor myself Kamber Bulica are responsible for any legal issues regarding aftermarket parts install.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Thumbs up

No problem happy to help everyone out. I'll be taking a video of the intake noise as soon as i find some spare time. Possibly tomm.
Bump for the video!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 AM

looks very interesting
Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i called my dealer and they said that both do void warranty :-(
Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM

Looks good man
Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Voids which warrantees? Common sense says if you replace the intake you void the intake system warrantee or if you replace the exhaust you null the exhaust warrantee, etc.. did they say your entire engine warrantee would be void? Just curious...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM

Your dealer sucks then man.

Anything in front of the TB or behind the cats shouldn't void any warranties. That's pretty much a standard with modding new cars.

CAI and catbacks are safe for the most part. Headers, intake manifolds, cams, etc... THEN you're in trouble.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Voids which warrantees? Common sense says if you replace the intake you void the intake system warrantee or if you replace the exhaust you null the exhaust warrantee, etc.. did they say your entire engine warrantee would be void? Just curious...
Kind of see the dealer has to determine if the modification that was made was either the result of your crafty work or the manufacturer. Then they submit the warranty claim to Nissan to pay for the parts and labor involved if they choose to repair your car, Nissan can tell the dealer to go pound sand later which means they eat the cost.

One has to remember the dealer is a franchise of the manufacturer they aren't the manufacturer so they have to manage the cost of warranty work very carefully. I know from personal experience as my father worked at several car dealerships and each parts department had tons of tagged parts sitting upstairs because the manufacturer said no way we won't pay.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 PM

Killakam - found this from the NISMO 05-06 CAI Instructions:

To get optimal performance from the addition of any performance modification on fuel injected vehicles, the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) computer will need to be adjusted .The OEM computer will adjust immediately if it is reset. This is a simple procedure done by removing the negative battery cable from the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes which will reset the computer and enable it to adapt to the addtional part(s). At this point you just drive the vehicle and the computer does the rest. During this learning process your vehicle may have a rough idle, DO NOT be alarmed the idle will smooth out after a few minutes of driving and the vehicle being shut off and restarted a couple of times. Enjoy the added Performance!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:04 AM

Very interesting, do not know if this is correct protocols for the 09 maxima. But then what would it hurt, the only thing you lose is your radio channel settings. I will give it a try!!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Very interesting, do not know if this is correct protocols for the 09 maxima. But then what would it hurt, the only thing you lose is your radio channel settings. I will give it a try!!!!
Cool, please let us know how that works out. Maybe thats why my range indicator is off for the gas mpg calculations and im not getting the best mpg.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Killakam - found this from the NISMO 05-06 CAI Instructions:

To get optimal performance from the addition of any performance modification on fuel injected vehicles, the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) computer will need to be adjusted .The OEM computer will adjust immediately if it is reset. This is a simple procedure done by removing the negative battery cable from the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes which will reset the computer and enable it to adapt to the addtional part(s). At this point you just drive the vehicle and the computer does the rest. During this learning process your vehicle may have a rough idle, DO NOT be alarmed the idle will smooth out after a few minutes of driving and the vehicle being shut off and restarted a couple of times. Enjoy the added Performance!
Great posting.

I wonder if I'd have to reinstall my Bully Dog tune after such as reset or if it'll stay programmed?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 AM

Ok did it, it may be my imagination, but I think it may have a little better response now????
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 AM

nice... looks so clean...
Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 AM

Ok did it, it may be my imagination, but I think it may have a little better response now????
Nice that is very good to hear. Has gas improved at all?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice that is very good to hear. Has gas improved at all?
LOL!! Would he have had a chance to notice? Sounds like he just did it last night, or this morning.

I do have a question for Josh, or anybody else. Lets say you can't keep your foot out of it, is it possible the intake would actaully make your gas milage worse? thanks

Quick Reply: Stillen Intake Install