7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Stillen Intake Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by jjacobs6
LOL!! Would he have had a chance to notice? Sounds like he just did it last night, or this morning.

I do have a question for Josh, or anybody else. Lets say you can't keep your foot out of it, is it possible the intake would actaully make your gas milage worse? thanks
ya i met it as let us know that i met it as when you find out let us know type thing. Typed it wrong.

Ya the gas milage will worsen if you cant keep your foot out of it.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM

If you can keep your foot out of it though will it improve gas mileage? Theoretically it should be being that more air is being added so less fuel is required but if the air/fuel ratio stays the same then I guess the fuel with have to increase to compensate for the increase in air. I am just babbling here. Does anybody know?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
If you can keep your foot out of it though will it improve gas mileage? Theoretically it should be being that more air is being added so less fuel is required but if the air/fuel ratio stays the same then I guess the fuel with have to increase to compensate for the increase in air. I am just babbling here. Does anybody know?
Well i think that either way your going to lose a little mpg and if you keep your foot on it your going to loose even more.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Hey Kam. I figure there is not point in starting a new thread for this so I thought I would ask you on this thread and hopefully you haven't answered this question yet. How does the idle sound with all the mods? Does it have a bit of a rumble yet? How is cruising sound? Does it get obnoxious after a while?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Ok now,.....this has been going on for a while,.....I am jonesing for a video/sound clip,.........please!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Hey Kam. I figure there is not point in starting a new thread for this so I thought I would ask you on this thread and hopefully you haven't answered this question yet. How does the idle sound with all the mods? Does it have a bit of a rumble yet? How is cruising sound? Does it get obnoxious after a while?
The idle sound with the mods sounds a lot better than the factory. The rumble is much louder and the start up sounds great. The cruising sounds is really good as well. Sounds weird at first but you'll love the sound after you get use to the new tone of the exhaust. Combined with the exhaust and when the whistle from the intake kicks in it sounds almost like you have a turbo under the hood. I wouldn't say it gets obnoxious but it all depends on what you like.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by hogpowr
Ok now,.....this has been going on for a while,.....I am jonesing for a video/sound clip,.........please!
Yea still working on it sorry. I've just been very busy lately and the weather in CT is kinda crapy right now. Its been raining a lot and when it dosnt i'm busy with working. I'll get it up by next week.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Yea still working on it sorry. I've just been very busy lately and the weather in CT is kinda crapy right now. Its been raining a lot and when it dosnt i'm busy with working. I'll get it up by next week.
Bump for this.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM

The idle sound with the mods sounds a lot better than the factory. The rumble is much louder and the start up sounds great. The cruising sounds is really good as well. Sounds weird at first but you'll love the sound after you get use to the new tone of the exhaust. Combined with the exhaust and when the whistle from the intake kicks in it sounds almost like you have a turbo under the hood. I wouldn't say it gets obnoxious but it all depends on what you like.
Thanks buddy. I was just curious. Lol +10000 on the video too
Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 PM

Thanks buddy. I was just curious. Lol +10000 on the video too
np and ya i'll get that asap. Sorry its taking so long guys.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM

np and ya i'll get that asap. Sorry its taking so long guys.
Lol, don't even worry about it. I am just impatient to hear the awesomeness
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Lol, don't even worry about it. I am just impatient to hear the awesomeness
no i understand i was impatient as well when ppl already had there exhaust installed and i wanted to hear it no one was posting. So ik how it feels and i'll def put that up for everyone right away.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM

I know they void warranty but would it be noticible if i removed them before i brought the car to the dealership??
Old 03-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Hey guys, three weeks ago i installed the stillen intake, total time for install was 40 mins, although i ran into some problems, once i removed the OEM intake and filter, i started to hear some ticking noises coming from the front right engine area, i stopped looked around and noticed that the fog lights started flashing.......yep you got it, i did not remove the battery cable. Well thought nothing of it, then it started again, well i removed the battery cable and finished the install. Once i had finished i wanted to hear the noise so i went to start it and ....well the car had been IMMOBILIZED !!!! CRAP, had to get a tow truck out. After waiting more than 1 hour, arrived at the dealer, they let me know that the CPU had gone into DETERRENT MODE< meaning all the safety systems had switched thru out the vehicle.
after almost 2 hours been on the diagnostic table ,they let me know that all systems had been reset, i could have avoided this by JUST removing the battery cable. Well i have to say that since then the MPG has increase by a .7 MPG...had 21.6 now 22.3 and the power that the car has is AWESOME, PLUS the rumble is getting some extra attention.....
IN regards to warranty , i asked if the intake would void any of it? They responded with NO, unless you encounter hydra lock, but due to the fact that the intake is up so high, chances are very slim.....
Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just installed mine last night. Look a little longer than I though. But the newer ones has a black metal pipe now. I will take pics soon. And it has the Stillen badge on it. Looks really nice. Only thing is a small hose came loose, so trying to figure where it goes, drove it today and did feel the increase in power and sounds mean. Will take pics soon.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here are some pics of the Stillen Intake on my 2010 Maxima SV. Also a pic of that loose hose. I think I found where it attaches to, I plugged it in, so we'll see if it did anything.

And the loose hose. If anyone of you know where it goes let me know. One end is connected to the engine, just one end is not connected anywhere.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 AM

does the stillen intake come with the K & N filter?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by s-one
does the stillen intake come with the K & N filter?
Yes it does. But it has Stillen imprinted on the chrome part of the filter.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 AM

What kind of claim does stillen make regarding improved horsepower / gas mileage? Or do they not claim gains in either spot?

And one more bump for the video clip - I'd love to hear it in action.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:48 PM

congrats on your intake!!!! i have the k and n and im very happy and it definetly comes alive!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:26 PM

how you like it..i need one too
Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by J'SMAX
how you like it..i need one too
Wait for the R2C one to come out.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM

And the loose hose. If anyone of you know where it goes let me know. One end is connected to the engine, just one end is not connected anywhere.
That hose doesnt hook up to anything. Its just a vent for the tranny.

-v
Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM

Wait for the R2C one to come out.
R2C??

Wheres that video
Old 07-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Here are a couple pics of my recent Stillen Intake Install.. Love it!!

-v
Old 07-05-2010, 11:24 AM

i need a intake asap ..lol it looks beautiful
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM

I just placed an order from STILLEN, I gotta say... I can't wait for it allready lol. The install should be not that long and hard about 20-30 minutes..
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 AM

I've been very pleased with my Stillen intake. Put it on a few months ago. I unplugged the battery to reset the fuel trims, and the gas mileage SUCKED the first 2 weeks while the ECU re-learned everything. After that though, my mileage has increased my .5-1.0 MPG.

The sound is absolutely sinister. I've passed Nismo 370Z's at redline and had them ask me wtf I had done to the car

Also- at cruising speeds, the IAT is only about 10* higher than ambient air temps. Sitting at a stoplight though, IAT's can get up to 140*. Really glad that Stillen uses the factory fresh-air duct as I'm sure this helps keep cool air flowing over the open element filter.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 PM
zmos

Can anyone tell me what this is for? The Stillen tube didn't have anything to insert this in. Does anyone know what its use is for or if this should be covered? What did you who have the intake do with this?

K and N CAI dumped the use of it too. Its some kinda air dump. Its got a one way valve. Pull hard to remove it from the grommet.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM

I ordered my Rear Sway Bar and Strut Brace today and the sales guy was telling me about CAI told me that set up with the Stillen exhaust it would sound like a stock GT-R.....Anyone have this setup?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by JE_PA
I ordered my Rear Sway Bar and Strut Brace today and the sales guy was telling me about CAI told me that set up with the Stillen exhaust it would sound like a stock GT-R.....Anyone have this setup?
Errr I dunno about that... The R35 is the VR38DETT. More displacement, different exhaust design from the header back, and possibly a different firing order.

I think the sales guy is pulling your chain so you spend more $$$.

Plus, stock GT-R's are pretty quiet to begin with. Know a few guys in my area who have stock and not-so-stock R35's and the difference is ridiculous.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Looks good bro.. cant wait to get mine on.. its on the way..
Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
Errr I dunno about that... The R35 is the VR38DETT. More displacement, different exhaust design from the header back, and possibly a different firing order.

I think the sales guy is pulling your chain so you spend more $$$.

Plus, stock GT-R's are pretty quiet to begin with. Know a few guys in my area who have stock and not-so-stock R35's and the difference is ridiculous.
That was my feeling.....haven't read too much on the Stillen exhaust and his claims of an increase of almost 30HP was a bit much.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by JE_PA
That was my feeling.....haven't read too much on the Stillen exhaust and his claims of an increase of almost 30HP was a bit much.
I was considering the Stillen axle-back system, but there are no claims to hp increase. I've heard a 7th gen with the Stillen CAI, Racingline y-pipe and Stillen exhaust... man that thing sounded sick.

Personally, I plan on buying the Stillen axle-back system just for a bit more growl from the exhaust. Not holding my breath for any gains at the track
Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 AM

DON'T BUY STILLEN!

I was considering the Stillen axle-back system, but there are no claims to hp increase. I've heard a 7th gen with the Stillen CAI, Racingline y-pipe and Stillen exhaust... man that thing sounded sick.

Personally, I plan on buying the Stillen axle-back system just for a bit more growl from the exhaust. Not holding my breath for any gains at the track
Don't really want to change this to an exhaust thread but if I were you I would stay away from the Stillen exhaust. Take it from me someone who initiated the group buy with them to get there system out there to everyone it is not worth it unless you plan on taking up your time to clean it all the time (if that even helps). The system will acquire a lot of surface rust and Stillen WILL NOT do anything to help you with it. If you don't believe me check out this link STILLEN EXHAUST RUSTING. That was the exhaust system I had on my Maxima when I owned it and I took it off for the Borla system; much better choice if you ask me.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM

Don't really want to change this to an exhaust thread but if I were you I would stay away from the Stillen exhaust. Take it from me someone who initiated the group buy with them to get there system out there to everyone it is not worth it unless you plan on taking up your time to clean it all the time (if that even helps). The system will acquire a lot of surface rust and Stillen WILL NOT do anything to help you with it. If you don't believe me check out this link STILLEN EXHAUST RUSTING. That was the exhaust system I had on my Maxima when I owned it and I took it off for the Borla system; much better choice if you ask me.
Ah, that thread does sound familiar! I agree, not trying to derail this thread since it's about the Stillen intake, but just seemed that the Borla CBE wasn't much louder over stock?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Ah, that thread does sound familiar! I agree, not trying to derail this thread since it's about the Stillen intake, but just seemed that the Borla CBE wasn't much louder over stock?
I can attest to it that it is much louder over stock and has a deeper tone than the Stillen System does especially when compared with the Racingline Y-Pipe both of which I had.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM

I received my STILLEN CAI yesterday, installed it right away! As soon as I got in my car and reved it up the sound was so loud not even funny. It has a deep roary sound and that is what I was looking for! My friend was so happy he started bragging that I will be blowing everyone away... I wish lol! When I took it on the highway it sounds exactly like G37 at 1300RPM - 3200RPM at 5000 RPM and higher sounds LOUD and Deep! Definetly feel the gains of HP.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Can't wait to get this mod. Hopefully it adds at least ten HP. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth the 330 bucks you have to pay for it. Man I am torn on exhaust choices. I think I am definitely going to stay away from Stillen with the surface rust. I am torn between Borla and Flowmaster.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM

For those who have the Stillen intake:

If you ever wondered what the rectangular box is right next to your intake... I have the answer.

It's called a helmholtz resonator that's inline with your PCV hose that connects to the intake tube. I'm actually planning on dumping this resonator and putting a PCV oil/air separator catch can in it's place to get rid of crankcase oil vapors before they're dumped back into the air supply before the TB. If anyone wants more info, let me know.

Quick Reply: Stillen Intake Install