7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Why did you choose an 09 Max?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by maximusprime
Good to hear the CVT performs well! Doesnt sound like any of the other CVT's out there..
So there are issues with the CVT? Can anyone elaborate?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by maximusprime
Good to hear the CVT performs well! Doesnt sound like any of the other CVT's out there..

I must admit I have not been a fan of CVTs of the past. I have always known (from having endured many physics classes) that a tranny that doesn't shift will theoretically outperform, and be more efficient than one that does. But I was not convinced a reliable CVT capable of matching the performance of existing manuals and automatics would happen in my lifetime.

The decent CVTs of the '07 and '08 Maximas gave me hope that progress was coming faster than I expected. This redesigned '09 Maxima CVT has won me over. Two early '09 buyers took care to measure their MPG on extended (over a thousand miles) freeway trips with this '09, and one measured 30 MPG and the other 32 MPG for their excursions. For a 3600 pound car with 290 HP, that is very impressive.

We have had '09 Maximas on the road for over eight months now, some with around 10,000 miles on the clock, and so far, we have not had any CVT breakdowns reported on this '09 board. If this CVT proves to have long-term reliability, I will have no other tranny in any of my cars henceforth.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by -Sin-

CVTs create much more heat than either automatics or manuals, and handling this heat has been a very difficult problem to overcome. In many early CVTs, this heat either led to short tranny life or even tranny breakdown. Overcoming the heat problem sometimes meant adding enough cooling equipment that any advantage of the CVT was negated.

Earlier CVTs were also limited in the amount of power they could handle, and often performed either erratically or strangely. Adding all this to the fact many drivers do not like the idea of a CVT, and long-term manual drivers were used to the feeling of more complete control of their car by being able to select exactly the gear they wanted for what they were doing at the time, and the CVT had a very tough route to success.

The CVT will never be the tranny of choice for some drivers, but, as traffic grows ever more jammed, and more trips are being made at a 10 MPH stop-and-go pace, I feel the CVT will eventually be the dominant tranny for most makes.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mick7
Appearance is a matter of taste. The TL appears to be tasting an apple. The Max performs slightly better in most tests and can be bought for thousands less than a TL which is a fine car but overpriced and underpowered and rather grotesque looking from the front. Just an opinion.
i agree totally, test drove the maxima sv sport w/tech. all i can say is WOW i was impressed ! the power was far better than the 09 tl i test drove.THe tramission was great in sport mode and cvy, the maxima seats i liked better, the bose stereo i felt was better than the Tl els system. handling far superior to the tl, breaking was better also. i was very impressed with the Maxima.. Now my only concern before buying is will the maxima hold up as well as the honda/acura motor for reliability and smoothness of engine over the years.

i come from a HOnda Accord and love the car, i know honda makes a great car ! many of my friends have a maxima and love them too..so decisions....
Old 02-17-2009, 11:27 AM

From what I've read (I think it was MotorTrend) they had to allow the Max some cool down time in between the Top Speed runs because the CVT required it.
I would think that something with the machinations of a complicated device like the CVT would require more care and handling than a simple gearbox.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 PM

My overall concern with any car purchase is relaibilty.
I've owned a '96, an '00 and now an '05.

While all were great, the '05 has been the most reliable, and by a considerable margin.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM

The Maxima with sport is a great car...I've enjoyed it every day....only have 1900 miles on it in 5 months but its been a great 1900!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM

I was actually referring to the CVT being fun and pleasurable to drive as stated by members who own the 09. Ive driven 3 different cars with CVT's, 07 Altima 2.5, Ford five hundred , and Nissan xtrail and they all sounded and performed horrendously!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by whit
Now my only concern before buying is will the maxima hold up as well as the honda/acura motor for reliability and smoothness of engine over the years.

Even Maxima haters who pan everything from the hamburger on the grille to the shape of the tail lights all admit one thing; the engine in the Maxima (7th gen, 6th gen, 5th gen, you name it) is strong, smooth, solid and dependable. The Maxima engine has been chosen as one of the best ten engines in the world by Wards for more years than I can remember. I had 206,000 miles of Atlanta commuting on my '85 Maxima when I traded it back in the ninties, and the engine was still running perfectly when I let it go. I still see that car around town, but have no way of knowing if the engine has had work since I had it.

I will not be sure of the long-term reliability of this excellent redesigned '09 CVT for several years, but I have absolutely no worries about my Maxima engine.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:43 AM

I agree lightonthehill. it's a solid car all the way around.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 AM

My car selection was funny. I was all over the map. I currently have a 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT and I was looking for something new. This is what I went through:

2010 Mazda 3 Sport
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X
2009 Subaru WRX STI
2010 Ford Mustang
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2009 Audi A3 / A4
2009 Mercedes C Series
2009 Infinity G35/37

and I'm sure there were others in there. At first I discounted the Maxima and said no because the Premium model I wanted came with "fuddy duddy" wood trim on the inside. The funniest part about it, was what brought me back to the Maxima. The cooling seats.

Seriously I could not get the cooling seats off my brain and I looked for other cars with cooling seats, but couldn't find anything that matched the value for the dollar as the Maxima.

So I went back and looked at it again ... and this time I took the girlfriend. After talking about it and looking at it again I fell in love with the car and ordered it.

Funny ... cooling seats ... sold me the car :P
Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lirathal

Seriously I could not get the cooling seats off my brain and I looked for other cars with cooling seats, but couldn't find anything that matched the value for the dollar as the Maxima.

Funny ... cooling seats ... sold me the car :P

When folks have a certain part of their anatomy that tends to be sizzling hot, only a seat that cools will do.

Getting more serious, when the long, blistering summer arrives in the South each year, any wisp of anything cool is a blessing.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
When folks have a certain part of their anatomy that tends to be sizzling hot, only a seat that cools will do.

Getting more serious, when the long, blistering summer arrives in the South each year, any wisp of anything cool is a blessing.
TMI dude!!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Ok, here it is. I had a 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX Leather. The car was great, I never had any problems with it, it was a great car. I looked at the Acura TL.

My sister had a Maxima (I think the 5th generation and loved it) then she bought an Infinitiy I35, traded that in and bought an 08 G35 XAWD. I test drove that and loved it. I initially wanted to buy that but then decided that I shouldn't buy the same car she has and then looked at the TL. Decided to look at the Maxima and fell head over heels. This was the perfect match for me. It is almost a G35, but not quite, and has many of the same creature comforts and quite frankly, aside from the 306 HP and no AWD, it's almost the same car to me. I love my car. I wouldn't go back for anything.

I love my Maxima, and I'm glad I made the choice. Nothing else on the market caught my fancy. I checked the web for cars in the same class. Nothing else matched the Maxima for the money.

Last edited by Maxgal; 03-01-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Its a solid car for the cash. Compare similar cars...people always say a BMW or a G35 is "better" but they cost more. What's cheaper? Accord V6 EX-L loaded...it is cheaper by about 5k in my research (not sticker, actual prices I was given.) So it cost me 5k to drive a more high end better looking car.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM

I originally went into the dealership with the intention of buying an Altima 3.5s. They didn't have any in stock so I decided to try out the maxima premium they had available. I sat down, started her up, and as soon as I started driving I knew this was the car for me.

Negotiations probably could have gone better had I not been so excited behind the wheel, but I couldn't help it.

Coming from a manual, I was actually quite impressed the the CVT, and had no issue making the conversion.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 AM

I knew when I started looking at cars that I wanted a Nissan/Infiniti. I love the quality and the intelligent key is the only way to go. Once you have it, you will never want to turn a key again.

The first thing I wanted was an Infiniti G37x. I had my heart set on it for months. Then, I saw the new Maxima and I had to try it out. It was a few grand cheaper, but it also had a few more features like heated steering wheel and tilt mirrors. Plus I like the exterior alot more, so I went for the Maxima.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:28 AM

I was always a Honda/ Acura guy, went through:
92 Honda Prelude SI
98 Acura Integra Gsr
01 Acura Integra Gsr t
97 Acura Integra ls/vtec
I was even in the market for a Jeep SRT8, plus I was never had taste for the 5th or 6th gen, but once I heard they had a new redesigned Maxima. I had to check it out, guess what? I bought the car without test driving it, ordered it while I was overseas. I'm still overseas, was recently home on leave, picked up the ride from the dealership and drove home.....I DID NOT WANT TO GET OUT OF THE CAR TO GO INSIDE....it was soo much fun...the car had soo many features I didnt even knew I ordered. My wife even asked me, did you know you have a back up camera? haha I was like we do? bottomline the new 7th gen drives like no other, bodylines, 4DSC, 9-speaker system(2 subs), cooling seats, very sweet sounding exhaust.....just like some of the others say they find reasons to drive their baby......I FIND REASONS JUST TO SIT IN THE CAR....
Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 PM

First car was a maxima 1993 and I loved it. When I saw the new one had to get it.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM

The only reason I bought my 2009 Maxima Radiant Silver was because it blends in with my ACUs. J/K LOL!

It does actually match with my uniform though.

Best car for the money
LOOKS Great, one of the best looking cars on the road
Big but not too big for one person, some ppl seem to think it is a 2 door until I actually open the doors for them.
Great CVT Trans
It is a "Maxima"=Realiability, Powerful, Handles well, decent Gas Mileage, decent Trunk Space and easy to mod and make it look even better
Radiant Silver is just downright Sexy!!!
Did I mention this: LOOKS Great, one of the best looking cars on the road

LOL!

"Enjoy the Ride"
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 PM

reminds me of the 93

ad a 93 maxima and was the best car I ever had. The 7th gen took me back to those exciting days. Love the design in and out. Great acceleration and performance despite being CVT. Overall a car that makes me smile when I step on the gas.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I looked at the TL before buying my 09 Maxima. The TL drives great, has a great interior, but I didn't want a car with a beak.