7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Sorry I bought this car

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 AM

"Service Engine" light problem

I plunked down $35,000 and have a brand new shiny Maxima sitting in my garage with a "service engine" light. I've been to dealer three times. They've replaced gas cap and re-set light. It's ok for a few days and then back on. This has been going on for three weeks with no resolution in sight. On Monday I'm going to contact Nissan and formally request a refund so I can get a reliable car. Yes, I know, good luck with that.

Last edited by rkurlander; 09-30-2008 at 06:21 AM. Reason: No longer sorry. Problem has been fixed. Changing title.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:34 AM
reb

Good luck, but contacting customer care will not result in a "refund". Nissan will just send you to the dealer that handles unresolved repairs at the customer care level.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 AM

Does your state have a lemon law?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 AM

Ill trade you. Mine never comes on. Its ten years older though?!?!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Z

Read the code.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Read the code.
What he said... either get a scanner or use the built-in diagnostics to read the code (instructions are in the previous thread you started when this problem first came up). If you post the code here, someone may be able to help.

Sorry you're having such problems with the dealer.

-John
Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 AM

go to autozone and have them pull the code number.. and then post back in here what the number is and u will get help.. and you will then have something to say to the dealer about what u know is wrong.. oh and its free to do..
Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

the dealer doesnt know what the code is ? LOL...

im sure its something really stupid LOL... have u been putting in 91 or 87
Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 PM

I plunked down $35,000 and have a brand new shiny Maxima sitting in my garage with a "service engine" light. I've been to dealer three times. They've replaced gas cap and re-set light. It's ok for a few days and then back on. This has been going on for three weeks with no resolution in sight. On Monday I'm going to contact Nissan and formally request a refund so I can get a reliable car. Yes, I know, good luck with that.
I feel your frustration man BUT do you want people to help you? If just cribbing is the objective of this thread, then its fine. If you want real help post the codes. It is very simple, just go to autozone and they have this little device that plugs into your car and then displays the code for the problem. It is an alphanumeric piece of information. Retrieve that and then come and post. Maybe someone can help then.
OR
You can choose to do the above and tear your hair off.
Good luck
Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by rick sambora
I feel your frustration man BUT do you want people to help you? If just cribbing is the objective of this thread, then its fine. If you want real help post the codes. It is very simple, just go to autozone and they have this little device that plugs into your car and then displays the code for the problem. It is an alphanumeric piece of information. Retrieve that and then come and post. Maybe someone can help then.
OR
You can choose to do the above and tear your hair off.
Good luck
For what it's worth, I've heard that Autozone doesn't read codes anymore (or at least aren't supposed to). That said, I have 2 or 3 OBD2 readers around my garage (don't ask why), so I don't really have to worry about it..
Old 09-13-2008, 07:53 PM

For what it's worth, I've heard that Autozone doesn't read codes anymore (or at least aren't supposed to). That said, I have 2 or 3 OBD2 readers around my garage (don't ask why), so I don't really have to worry about it..
I would buy one. Just cause its so useful. Granted you have a new car(or may be not), it would still be a good investment. If you live close to irish, maybe he can loan you one out of his 3...
Old 09-13-2008, 09:11 PM
retired moderator

lol....if you buy one, just remember where you put it. Sucks when you can't find it so you buy another and then find the first one. Then I got one for Christmas from my in-laws who didn't know I already had two of them
Old 09-13-2008, 11:15 PM

yeah it's a new car man but just be patient if there is nothing wrong with the cars driving it is probably really simple. like was said earlier are you putting in higher Octane gas?
Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 AM

If this is the only problem you have had, then this sounds like a reliable car. If the dealer was unable to interpret the code and fix whatever was causing the 'service engine' light after two tries, he should have given you a loaner (another '09), and been in touch with Nissan immediately instead of tinkering with everything on the car. He will end up causing additional problems.

The least your dealer should have done for you is tell you what the code was in case anyone here may know something about that code.

Having said all that, I understand your frustration. This should have been fixed the first time you took it to your dealer.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 AM

How much do those code readers actually cost? I'm thinking on purchasing one since my SES light has been on twice due to the gas cap not being tightened enough.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by rkurlander
Wait it out, Nissan has probably not even finished making the service manuals, so when you bring your car in they don't even know what the light means, they don't know what to do with an 09 this early

It's documented and on record just drive the car, my brother had a brand new 08 300c with a light on the dash, I told him ride around with it for awhile to see if it goes out and it did
Old 09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by STARR
Wait it out, Nissan has probably not even finished making the service manuals, so when you bring your car in they don't even know what the light means, they don't know what to do with an 09 this early
That is a ridiculous assumption; Nissan does not release vehicles to the public without the proper information available to the dealers for diagnosis & repair.

Now they probably don't have any experience with similar issues, for sure. In other words, not a lot of repeat business at this point in the vehicle's service life. But to say they are unequipped and inept is just plain wrong. Be patient, it's a new model. This sort of thing is typical of new products, cars or otherwise.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
That is a ridiculous assumption; Nissan does not release vehicles to the public without the proper information available to the dealers for diagnosis & repair.

Now they probably don't have any experience with similar issues, for sure. In other words, not a lot of repeat business at this point in the vehicle's service life. But to say they are unequipped and inept is just plain wrong. Be patient, it's a new model. This sort of thing is typical of new products, cars or otherwise.
Brand new models don't have the service manuals or all the up to date programs needed to run a full and complete diagnosis, they can work on them but will lack critical information for the select few, owners come back with problems way before the dealer and service advisors know
Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MikesChevelle
Ill trade you. Mine never comes on. Its ten years older though?!?!
lmao...
Old 09-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by STARR
Brand new models don't have the service manuals or all the up to date programs needed to run a full and complete diagnosis
You obviously don't work for a Nissan dealer, nor are you familiar with the ASIST system. The service manual info was in place weeks before the public release of the vehicle.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 AM

It takes one bad tomato to ruin a batch of sauce. I'll be curious to see how this turns out for you. My history says Nissan will send you up the river paddleless. Good Luck though.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 AM

Lemon Laws

After the fourth dealer visit for the same problem North Carolina Lemon Law kicks in. Nissan will not be able to ignore and avoid the problem.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:58 AM
reb

You obviously have alot left to learn about how to deal with new car problems........
Old 09-15-2008, 08:22 AM
大陆弟弟

So why can't you just make a quick trip to Autozone...etc like everyone suggested and get the code read?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by n3985
So why can't you just make a quick trip to Autozone...etc like everyone suggested and get the code read?
Why some people are telling the OP to get the code read is mind boggling.....

It's most likely the same problem as the first 3 times......
It's also probably a safe bet it's related to the gas cap (as we've been hearing lately) etc; hence why the gas cap etc has been replaced by the Dealer.

The OP shouldn't have to go to Autozone, have the code read, figure out what it is, what the possible remedies are, go into the Dealer educated about the problem etc etc. This is the Dealer's problem and what new car warranties are for. One of the reasons people buy brand new cars is for the reliability factor and knowing that any problem, no matter how little, will be covered under warranty for a certain period of time. The OP needs to get what he paid for. The Dealer needs to spend the time and effort to figure it out, not the OP. They should loan the OP an equivalent car and figure out the damn problem already.

If I was the OP, I'd be freakin' pissed too. There's no excuse for what is happening here. Brand new car and 3 CEL's. We're not talking about an 10 year old car here people....
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by rkurlander
After the fourth dealer visit for the same problem North Carolina Lemon Law kicks in. Nissan will not be able to ignore and avoid the problem.
Well, It is very sad to read something like that.

Good luck with this issue.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I work at Auto Zone, we still read codes as long as its OBD II. What were not supposed to do is clear them off by law, but usually if you just ask them to they will
Old 09-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Thanks Wizard. You are a breath of sanity here. I paid $35,000 cash for this car. No way I'm going to Autozone, or anywhere but the dealer. Car is still at dealer and they can't find the problem. I started a case with Nissan this morning. Major buyers remorse. Fix the damn car or give me a refund.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:10 PM

You will never get a refund. Buying a car is not like buying a product from a retail store.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM

Nobody is insane or unreasonable here... it's a matter of principle ("It's the dealer's problem") vs. practicality ("I just want my car fixed"). There is no right or wrong side of that equation and getting things accomplished many times involve both.

It just happens that many members of this forum are on the practical side and very eager to help those who want the help. If my new Max (I paid $40K if it matters) threw a CEL, the absolute first thing I would do is read the code and post it here for help. The dealer would hear about it at some point, don't get me wrong. Everybody is different in that respect, and that's ok because this is a free country after all. I personally am very thankful that this community exists to help if I ever need it.

This guy paid over $70K for his GT-R and it's having very similar issues:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...he-dealer.html

He is reading his own codes and trying to help figure out the issue. So he must be insane right? Or maybe even doubly-insane because he paid twice as much for his car?

It's fine to go the "matter of principle" route and rely on the dealer to make the situation right - it is their responsibility after all (nobody has questioned that). But please don't call the rest of us crazy for offering other avenues for solving the problem. Name calling never goes anywhere good, but a simple thanks but no thanks would do just fine.

-John
Old 09-15-2008, 03:49 PM

call the investigative news reporters....that'll make the dealer move his ***...lol

seriously.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Nycist
call the investigative news reporters....that'll make the dealer move his ***...lol

seriously.
Only if he bought a KIA or Hyundai. They don't care about people with enough money to buy a Maxima. only the broke-as-a-joke people who can't afford help.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by The Wizard

It's also probably a safe bet it's related to the gas cap (as we've been hearing lately) etc; hence why the gas cap etc has been replaced by the Dealer.

The OP shouldn't have to go to Autozone, have the code read, figure out what it is, what the possible remedies are, go into the Dealer educated about the problem etc etc. This is the Dealer's problem and what new car warranties are for. One of the reasons people buy brand new cars is for the reliability factor and knowing that any problem, no matter how little, will be covered under warranty for a certain period of time. The OP needs to get what he paid for. The Dealer needs to spend the time and effort to figure it out, not the OP. They should loan the OP an equivalent car and figure out the damn problem already.

If I was the OP, I'd be freakin' pissed too. There's no excuse for what is happening here. Brand new car and 3 CEL's. We're not talking about an 10 year old car here people....
exactly.

Local BMW dealership gave a guy who paid cash for a 550i an M5. The 550i spent more time in the dealerships garage than the owners. The manager wanted repeat business, called him up and said bring in the 550i I'll give you an M5, no charge. Customer was thrilled.

The funny thing is the next week the M5 was in the shop for a DSC code
Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Org Lurker

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. The OP paid not to have to worry about these problems. I'd be pissed too.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dukelubas
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. The OP paid not to have to worry about these problems. I'd be pissed too.
Exactly.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Owns way too many maximas

I was just about to post the same thing. There's no way in hell I would bring my brand new car somewhere, have the codes read, and try to figure out what the problem is myself, when it is a brand new with a warranty. The problem he is facing is a dealer that has techs who arent familiar with a new model line. He needs to first bring the car to a more competent dealer and then call Nissan customer service and open a claim with them. I've only had to call them once, with a strut issue on my 60k 2004 Murano, and they couldn't have been more helpful.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Owns way too many maximas

Originally Posted by Fang_DH
I work at Auto Zone, we still read codes as long as its OBD II. What were not supposed to do is clear them off by law, but usually if you just ask them to they will
I have never had to have a code read until recently at Autozone. I was driving my friends Jetta and the check engine light came on. I was near an autozone so figured I'd get it read. It was for a simple EVAP code, so I wanted it cleared and to drive it to see if it came back on. The kid at Autozone plugged in, and said by law they aren't allowed to clear them. I actually laughed. I told him to hit the erase button and I will leave a 20 dollar bill on the floor for him. He actually refused!!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by Blaxima95
I was just about to post the same thing. There's no way in hell I would bring my brand new car somewhere, have the codes read, and try to figure out what the problem is myself, when it is a brand new with a warranty. The problem he is facing is a dealer that has techs who arent familiar with a new model line. He needs to first bring the car to a more competent dealer and then call Nissan customer service and open a claim with them. I've only had to call them once, with a strut issue on my 60k 2004 Murano, and they couldn't have been more helpful.
Tho I agree, the dealer should take care of the issue, I also agree that it would probably be a good idea to get the code read elsewhere and find out what it means just to make sure the dealer doesn't bullshi# you on their "repair".

The dealer is a business, there to make $ at YOUR expense. I'm always one to be forearmed with info before having to deal with them. Helps keep you from getting your "compass bearing oil" replaced and other bogus crap they throw in.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:22 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Tho I agree, the dealer should take care of the issue, I also agree that it would probably be a good idea to get the code read elsewhere and find out what it means just to make sure the dealer doesn't bullshi# you on their "repair".

The dealer is a business, there to make $ at YOUR expense. I'm always one to be forearmed with info before having to deal with them. Helps keep you from getting your "compass bearing oil" replaced and other bogus crap they throw in.

The car is under warranty, he dealer must fix the problem. I wouldn't take it ANYWHERE else, not to mention the car being newer other places may not have the information availablef for it either.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jdhume

-John
The cost of the vehicle is irrelevant. What I said applies to all new cars, no matter how cheap or expensive.
There was no name calling.

Originally Posted by Compusmurf

I disagree with you as well. The dealer won't be receiving a dime from the OP since the car is under warranty. It's in their best interest to figure out the problem efficiently and correctly so they can back to what you claim on older cars w/o warranties.

Quick Reply: Sorry I bought this car