7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

09 Maxima Specific Oil!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jerrydm1
I just had my first change and it cost $109.00 for oil and filter. The oil was 18.00 a quart.

You got ripped!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 AM

why are you people paying so much for oil changes? I take my car to my local Mazda dealer and the labor charge is $9 for an oil change. I use Royal purple which is one of the best oils you can use at $8 a quart. Buy your Nissan filters online at about $5 a filter. It does not take a rocket scientist to change oil.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by dwest1023
why are you people paying so much for oil changes? I take my car to my local Mazda dealer and the labor charge is $9 for an oil change. I use Royal purple which is one of the best oils you can use at $8 a quart. Buy your Nissan filters online at about $5 a filter. It does not take a rocket scientist to change oil.
I know you're trying to get to 15 posts and all, but, at the least, READ ALL POSTS IN THE THREAD BEFORE ADDING YOUR $0.02
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
I know you're trying to get to 15 posts and all, but, at the least, READ ALL POSTS IN THE THREAD BEFORE ADDING YOUR $0.02
I read all the post, so whats your point?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM

I was trying to figure out what a Mazda was doing in the 7th Gen forums .

I got the dealer to quote me out Oil change prices before I bought the car, and they are about average for a dealer oil change. 50.00 after taxes and govt fees.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lirathal
I was trying to figure out what a Mazda was doing in the 7th Gen forums .

I got the dealer to quote me out Oil change prices before I bought the car, and they are about average for a dealer oil change. 50.00 after taxes and govt fees.

I have a Miata, but just bought a 09 max. MY mazda dealer only charges 9 bucks for oil labor charge. Since I buy my own oil and filter, I take all my cars(4) there for changes. They do any car, it does not have to be a Mazda.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:38 PM

Since no one replied, I decided to follow up on my own post. I went to Nissan dealer and bought a Nissan filter for $9.
Then went to Napa and compared the Nissan filter to both 51358 and 51365. End result is Wix 51358 is the right filter for the Maxima. The other filter, while having the same dimention for diameter and thread, is shorter.
I bought a bulk of 12 Wix filters from ebay. Came out to $75 for 12, or $6.25 per filter.
I plan to put Castrol GTX 5w30 into my Max this weekend at around 3300 miles. Next oil change will switch to Syntetic at around 8000 miles.

I know this is like opening a can of warms, but what syntetic do you guys use and like? My other car is Honda Ody 05 and I use Mobil 1 5w20 Syntetic. I see that Walmart raised their prices for M1. Should I stick with M1 or switch to something else?

Originally Posted by maxud
Hey guys,
thinking toward my first oil change, I have a question for those changing oil themselves. What filter model and number did you use.
The question stems from my inability to cross reference
WIX / Purolator / FRAM

I got model
51358 for WIX
L14612 for Purolator
PH6607 for FRAM

Not that I am going to use FRAM, but when I saw it at Walmart, I was surprised at how small it was, and to make sure decided to cross reference on FRAM.com website. My intent is to use Wix, so if you have the right part # verified, please let me know.
thanks,
Max
Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 PM

I have a Miata, but just bought a 09 max. MY mazda dealer only charges 9 bucks for oil labor charge. Since I buy my own oil and filter, I take all my cars(4) there for changes. They do any car, it does not have to be a Mazda.
Some people feel better to let the dealer do their thing. Some people like to do everything by themselves. Why ask why?
I could ask you why do you buy your oil and your filter, but then take it to Mazda dealership? You can do the job by yourself, it is not a rocket science.

Me? I am done with dealerships, can't stand them. Mazda, Honda, Nissan, same sh*t different dealership.

Max
Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 AM

I am using Redline 5W30. I have used it for years on other cars that I've owned. Expensive, but I usually go around 9k miles between changes. I currently have around 11.5K miles on my 09 Max, but I've had the oil changed at a Nissan dealership prior to this and they only charged $35 for oil, filter, and labor. Maybe I got a bargain.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by RayFan
I am using Redline 5W30. I have used it for years on other cars that I've owned. Expensive, but I usually go around 9k miles between changes. I currently have around 11.5K miles on my 09 Max, but I've had the oil changed at a Nissan dealership prior to this and they only charged $35 for oil, filter, and labor. Maybe I got a bargain.
My nissan dealership quoted $40 for oil changes when they were selling me on the maintenance+ plan. So I'd image that 35 is about right.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
You're joking right? The oil change costs more than my M35x, and I get a free loaner vehicle.

Can anyone else confirm the price of an oil change at the dealer?
I just bought my '09 Maxima and my dealership charges $30 an oil change. $90 is crazy, in my opinion, someone is yanking your chain.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 AM

I'm pretty sure that the $30-$40 oil changes the dealerships are doing use regular oil, whereas the $90+ ones use the ester oil. Either way, $90 is a rip off.

My dealership charges $109 for the ester oil change. If I hadn't bought the free oil change for life package with the car (for $250 I couldn't resist), there's no way I'd pay that much.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM

So I have a maintenance package included in my car and it's free tire rotation and oil change for two years, I currently have 12000 miles on my car and I just found out the package is only for the regular oil change, should I switch immediately or wait till the maintenance package is over then switch? And what type of oil change should I switch to, just want to be sure, thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
So I have a maintenance package included in my car and it's free tire rotation and oil change for two years, I currently have 12000 miles on my car and I just found out the package is only for the regular oil change, should I switch immediately or wait till the maintenance package is over then switch? And what type of oil change should I switch to, just want to be sure, thanks in advance.

There are all kinds of fancy oils, synthetic oils, and even Nissan ester oil, all of which are probably very good. But I have used Castrol GTX dino oil for decades with excellent results. If you put Castrol dino 5W-30 SAE Service Level (API Level) 'SM' in your car, you will not only meet all warranty requirements; you will be doing it with a very good oil at an easily affordable price. Just my opinion.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:59 PM

Folks here is the straight answer. First of all, ask yourself, how long are you going to keep the car? If you are not going to keep it at least 6 years or more, then why bother with the extra cost of synthetic? The only benefit in this case is maybe 1mpg. However if you plan to keep the car a long time and are going to put lots of miles on the car, then syn oil is the way to go. I would recommend mobil one as it is good oil and cheap as far a syn goes. My toyota pickup lasted 24 years with mobil one and my neighbor is still driving it after I sold it to him. I myself use Royal purple at 8 bucks a quart im my modified 06 Miata and my 06 Nissan Frontier.. I have 4 autos and since the 09 Max is a lease, it will get regular dino as in 3 years it will be someone else's headache.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM

my dealer said $36.95 for oil change...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 AM

Folks here is the straight answer. First of all, ask yourself, how long are you going to keep the car? If you are not going to keep it at least 6 years or more, then why bother with the extra cost of synthetic? The only benefit in this case is maybe 1mpg. However if you plan to keep the car a long time and are going to put lots of miles on the car, then syn oil is the way to go. I would recommend mobil one as it is good oil and cheap as far a syn goes. My toyota pickup lasted 24 years with mobil one and my neighbor is still driving it after I sold it to him. I myself use Royal purple at 8 bucks a quart im my modified 06 Miata and my 06 Nissan Frontier.. I have 4 autos and since the 09 Max is a lease, it will get regular dino as in 3 years it will be someone else's headache.

But keep in mind that Nissan does not recommend synthetic until the engine has been properly broken in. Synthetic is so good it greatly slows the needed meshing of engine parts necessary for ultimate engine efficiency. Five years ago, Nissan recommended waiting until 20K to switch to synthetic, but I would feel the engine is broken in enough to switch at 10K without losing much engine efficiency.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
But keep in mind that Nissan does not recommend synthetic until the engine has been properly broken in. Synthetic is so good it greatly slows the needed meshing of engine parts necessary for ultimate engine efficiency. Five years ago, Nissan recommended waiting until 20K to switch to synthetic, but I would feel the engine is broken in enough to switch at 10K without losing much engine efficiency.
The dealer I took mine to for the first oil change told me that when I bring it in for the next service at 7500 miles I can choose between Nissan's brand or use Mobil One Syn. So the dealer isn't recommending I wait until after 10K. But what does a dealership employee know anyway???
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by bizarjuggalo
The dealer I took mine to for the first oil change told me that when I bring it in for the next service at 7500 miles I can choose between Nissan's brand or use Mobil One Syn. So the dealer isn't recommending I wait until after 10K. But what does a dealership employee know anyway???

If you want my honest opinion, I have found that, although they are earnestly doing their best, many dealer employees are limited in knowledge, especially on one specific vehicle. In reality, some were working at a Suburu or Suzuki dealership just weeks or months earlier.

To be fair, we should not expect a dealership employee to be as technically astute as the engineers who design and work with the development of Nissan products.

To carry this a step further, in my opinion, the major portion of engine breakin is complete by 5K miles, probably less. So I personally would not have any real qualms about converting to synthetic at 7.5K. Some vehicles (mostly German) arrive off the assembly line with synthetic oil.

There is one small point I have not seen mentioned on the ORG. When we buy a new Maxima, we should check the build-date inside the driver's door. Although there may be few miles on the odo, if the car was built like five or more months earlier, I would be inclined to make that first oil change sooner than normal. Just my opinion.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 PM

im a newbie what does DINO mean?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by G9Max
im a newbie what does DINO mean?
Dinosaur Oil, the basic stuff...
Old 05-14-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by bizarjuggalo

This story play on not using Synthetic is so much overplayed... Please show me the page in the owners manual about not using Synthetic.

Nissan's own oil, ya know the special ester brand? Taken directly from Mobil 1 "Ester oil is synthetic base oil that has been chemically synthesized. Esters are one of the classes of synthetics that have been used in Mobil 1 products as well. Esters are stable molecules, provide good solvency, and provide very good low temperature and high temperature performance in engine oils." Oh crap I just had my oil changed yesterday at the dealer and I specified that Mobil 1 err I mean that Nissan Ester Oil I better go have it drained!

Also Mobil 1 is standard fill from the factory for the GTR and about 20 other manufacturers. Geez I wonder when that guys GTR comes in for a oil change is that Nissan OEM oil really Mobil 1 just re-branded, look closely at the oil drum for the manufacturing facility.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I changed my oil this weekend. Got to Autozone and something told me to check on this whole "Ester oil" thing. So I call the dealer, speak to a technician, and lo and behold he says that "Nissan Ester Oil" is not necessary, BUT if you go with another oil, you MUST use full synthetic, as conventional oil will damage the engine.

wtf.

Does that even sound right?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Emeritus23
I changed my oil this weekend. Got to Autozone and something told me to check on this whole "Ester oil" thing. So I call the dealer, speak to a technician, and lo and behold he says that "Nissan Ester Oil" is not necessary, BUT if you go with another oil, you MUST use full synthetic, as conventional oil will damage the engine.

wtf.

No! I take my car to the dealer, two oil changes so far and they are using castrol 10w-30 charge $30 and my dealer warranties the car for 100k miles as long as i keep my maintenance up to date with them.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Emeritus23

wtf.

Absolute garbage. I am stunned at the misinformation dealer service departments come up with. As jixxxer said, conventional oil works great, and meets all warranty requirements.

I would stick to oils that have good reputations. Regular old Castrol GTX 5W-30 is perfect for this car. Castrol 10W-30 is also perfect if you live in a hot climate.

Synthetic oil won't hurt, but I am one who likes to break the engine in carefully, and dino oils are best for that. Once the engine is broken in, then synthetic is a super oil to consider. I switch to synthetic at 10K miles, but changing when the car is new won't hurt anything; just slows down the engine breakin process, because it lubricates too well.

But synthetic as the ONLY option to ester? Give me a break.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
M1 0w40 would be my recommendation especially for this engine - http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-40.aspx

Here is an excellent thread on oil, UOA (Used Oil Analysis) and more than you ever wanted to learn about oil and your VQ35DE.

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...-and-info.html
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 PM

That's a hell of a read, thanks MaxLover. Has anyone cross referenced filters yet?? I like to run a larger capacity filter on my vehicles.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Helo-Tech
That's a hell of a read, thanks MaxLover. Has anyone cross referenced filters yet?? I like to run a larger capacity filter on my vehicles.
Their is really nothing on the market that will beat the OEM filter, however if you really want to make a big improvement in filtering you have to use a by-pass oil filtration system. Amsoil sells one the best although many others are on the market but I haven't researched those yet.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eabp.aspx
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 PM

If the factory installed filter on the Max is the same as on my Murano and Altima it is a rather smallish filter. The Nissan filter 15208-9E000 is a much larger filter and I use it on my Murano and did also on the Altima I traded. The last time I was at the dealer I asked the parts guy about the 9E000 filter for the Max and it was the one he recommended. I'm glad because I have six on hand. BTW I use 10W-30 Mobil 1 and change every 5000 miles because it is easy to remember.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks guys.
I primarily use the larger capacity to add a little more fluid to the system. As for filtration, I have UOA's done on all of my vehicles fairly regularly, and the filter that has performed the best for me has been the Pure1/Purolator brand. I would love to go the bypass route, but I always find something else to spend that money on. LOL.
So, if I go OEM I want the 9E000?? What about the plastic cover I read about that covers the filter, will it have to be removed permanently to accomodate the larger filter??? I haven't gotten down there to look at it yet and see what I'm dealing with.
Also, after a 10k break-in I will be switching to Mobil1, if anyone cares.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 PM

So, if I go OEM I want the 9E000??
From Fox Nissan:
Oil Filter Application Guide

Due to the many changes Nissan has made on each model in the past few years, the way to determine which oil filter each model takes has changed.

The 15208-55Y00 filter is used in older vehicles, usually from 1997 and back.

From about 2000-2006, anything below a 3.5L engine will take a 15208-9E000 oil filter as well as anything above a 3.5L engine.

All 3.5L engines take a 15208-65F0C.

From 2006 up, most of the same applies, anything above a 3.5L engine takes a 15208-9E000 oil filter and all 3.5L take a 15208-65F0C. The changing factor is, all small cars and SUVs, which include the Altima, Sentra, Versa, and Rouge, now take the smaller 15208-65F0C oil Filter.
If you are not sure which filter each model takes, the best way to determine that is by looking it up in the fast system.

I always go with the bigger filter, more filtration media and oil capacity.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire

From Fox Nissan:

Due to the many changes Nissan has made on each model in the past few years, the way to determine which oil filter each model takes has changed.

From about 2000-2006, anything below a 3.5L engine will take a 15208-9E000 oil filter as well as anything above a 3.5L engine.

From 2006 up, most of the same applies, anything above a 3.5L engine takes a 15208-9E000 oil filter and all 3.5L take a 15208-65F0C. The changing factor is, all small cars and SUVs, which include the Altima, Sentra, Versa, and Rouge, now take the smaller 15208-65F0C oil Filter.
If you are not sure which filter each model takes, the best way to determine that is by looking it up in the fast system.

It's kind of funny that the same filter is also used on the 5.6 V8... Here is a snapshot. The 15208-65F0C is much shorter.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Holy crap, that thing IS small for a V8. The one I use on my Dodge dwarfs it, and the Coke can. LOL
Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1st oil change

Bought my max in Nov. 08. I mostly drive around town so I did not put many miles on the car. I have bought new cars before and each time the dealer had changed oil around or less than 1000 miles. When I called the dealer, he said to bring in the car at 3000 miles. Luckily my 1st oil change was free but I was told that the next oil change will be $ 100.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am using the Napa Gold 1356 (WIC) filter , same size as my Frontier and a liitle more capacity than the OEM

Just put my first round of Mobil 1 in a 6000( 2nd change)
Old 06-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire

From Fox Nissan:

I can't buy all of this. I have used the 9E000 filter EXCLUSIVELY on my '05 SE, as well as my '07 Frontier 4.0L.

65,000 miles(on the Max) and NO problems.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
I can't buy all of this. I have used the 9E000 filter EXCLUSIVELY on my '05 SE, as well as my '07 Frontier 4.0L.

65,000 miles(on the Max) and NO problems.
Just trying to say to use the 9E000 filter instead of the original one because it is bigger. And bigger is always better, right?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 PM

I bought the elite maintenance package for my car, covers everything, so I will just end up bringing the car in every 3k for an oil and filter change
Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
I bought the elite maintenance package for my car, covers everything, so I will just end up bringing the car in every 3k for an oil and filter change

As I was getting my oil changed a few weeks ago, my service manager said they use 5W-30 Shell dino oil for all changes except for vehicles on a Nissan extrended warranty or premium (elite) maintenance program, and for those two situations, they use the expensive esther oil.

He also said either oil is fine, and he uses the Shell dino in his personal '09 Maxima. But it sounds like, depending on how your dealer does things, you may be using the new ester oil.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
As I was getting my oil changed a few weeks ago, my service manager said they use 5W-30 Shell dino oil for all changes except for vehicles on a Nissan extrended warranty or premium (elite) maintenance program, and for those two situations, they use the expensive esther oil.

He also said either oil is fine, and he uses the Shell dino in his personal '09 Maxima. But it sounds like, depending on how your dealer does things, you may be using the new ester oil.
During the negotiation of my new car, I did the deal and then had them throw in complete tire coverage, bumper to bumper warranty to 75k and the full maintenance plan, I was more concerned with the cost of the 30k and 60k intervals, especially with the changing of the CVT fluid, I've always been one to perform routine maintenance.

As for the regular oil changes, since Im moving to Atlanta to go to school, and will no longer have easy access to DIY oil changes, that is also why I opted for the maintenance plan.

This so called ester oil, I have read about it briefly but don't know much about it, if it's so expensive, why not just use synthetic

Quick Reply: 09 Maxima Specific Oil!