7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Iphone Issues-other

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

was wondering if a 3g wall charger will work with a 3gs phone eveything i tried to conncect does not charge?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Does anybody know what determines compatibility? In other words is it a hardware issue or software?

If it is a software issue we would have a much better chance of fixing this. If it is hardware my concern would be that Nissan would be inclined to tell us we are out of luck. They are not likely to replace the hardware for all of us that complain about this.

I would not be a happy camper having just spent all that money on a tech package that will not accomodate the latest technology. Lets hope it is the tech pkg software and can ultimately be upgraded.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Monitor Package

Are there any issues with streaming music through bluetooth. Also, I am picking up an SV with the monitor package (7 inch screen, ipod net, 2GB music drive, backup camera..) Will I be able to stream my ipod touch through bluetooth or does this only exist with the tech package. The monitor package looks similar except no NAV.

Is there an actual hardware differnce when you stream music through bluetooth vs get phone calls through bluetooth?

Anyone else have the monitor package?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

iPhone issues

I too am having similar problems. I have a 16 GB iPhone 3Gs (software 3.1.3, modem firmware 05.12.01, about 500 songs and podcasts) that I got about 8 months ago, and have paired it to my brand new 2010 Maxima SV with premium tech pkg. When I test drove it, the call history from my iPhone came up listing names of people recently called. Now, though, the only info I get from my handset phonebook are the same long strings of letters/numbers others have described. It is frustrating having to manually add these to the vehicle phonebook (which only holds a paltry 40 entries) and then edit the names. I agree, this should be seamless, but is anything but.

Furthermore, I also am having issues when playing music from my iPhone of the music randomly quitting. I am playing it via the USB cable. I have not been able to play it over the bluetooth connection, but I haven't exhaustively explored the owner's manual about this.

I plan to print out this blog and take it to the dealer to show them that this is not a random event. It is reproducible across multiple vehicles in this model and needs to be addressed. If it doesn't happen in the Murano with the same phone, then it has to be a problem with the Maxima.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey,

Don't mean to jack the thread, but did you ever get this figured out? I was most likely going to be picking up the one from Crutchfield myself, but I'd like to see how ur experience with the PAC went.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Awesome.. Can't wait to see the step by step and how where you put everything and take everything off. I have taken off that bottom piece once and your right I was scared that it was going to break as well but that is the only piece that I know how to actually take off, lol.

I am going to try to find out where I saw the information about the playlist before and once I find the link I'll PM it to you.

UPDATE: Hey sorry man I tried my best looking for that infromation but could not find it anywhere. I am almost 100% sure that I saw it somewhere online but I will check more later on for it.

Basically what is said is that in order to get the device to recognize that it is playing a playlist and show the names of the playlist you would have to put for example Playlist1 and then the name of your playlist so it would look like this; Playlist1 CarJams. But like I said i'll look later and see if I can find it at home online.
Killakam - you probably saw it here...?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:54 AM

Update: Talked to PAC Audio today and they are currently working on the documentation for the 2009 Maxima. The DIP swithes on the the install document are incorrect. I currently have my DIP switch 3 on and everything is working as expected. Install is a piece of cake, figuring out how to traverse through Playlists, Songs and Menu's is the tricky part. I would say this is very nice little device and I got mine on eBay for $129 shipped. It charges the iPhone 3G but it wants you to go into Airplane mode but I just select no.

The only beef I have is with the install instructions, but Tech Support said they are currently working on getting this updated.

-Rich
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Killakam - you probably saw it here...?

Ya I figured thats where I saw it.. I couldn't hear the audio at work so I wasn't sure if it was there or not cause I couldn't hear it, lol..

Originally Posted by richmusch
Update: Talked to PAC Audio today and they are currently working on the documentation for the 2009 Maxima. The DIP swithes on the the install document are incorrect. I currently have my DIP switch 3 on and everything is working as expected. Install is a piece of cake, figuring out how to traverse through Playlists, Songs and Menu's is the tricky part. I would say this is very nice little device and I got mine on eBay for $129 shipped. It charges the iPhone 3G but it wants you to go into Airplane mode but I just select no.

The only beef I have is with the install instructions, but Tech Support said they are currently working on getting this updated.

-Rich
Awesome thanx for that information. Where they able to tell you wether to shut off the number 3 switch off or leave it on? I would guess that if everything else is working maybe just that one needs to be shut off.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 PM

BTW I know I just posted but I wanted to let everyone know that I recieved my Pac-Audio device that I ordered today. I got it from Lenrom.com for $114.00 + S&H
Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 AM

DIP Switch 3 is set to on and the others are left off. If you have any questions, just hit me up.

Thanks,
-Rich
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by richmusch
DIP Switch 3 is set to on and the others are left off. If you have any questions, just hit me up.

Thanks,
-Rich
Sorry I just wanna make sure that I'm getting u right. So with switch 3 on it is now reading the text on the display correct?

Thanx
Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 AM

Yes sir, that is correct. It's looks like the video above. You may want to call and double check with Pac Audio's tech support before throwing it in there b/c he had me changing DIP switches like it was nothing..
Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mdmd
I too am having similar problems. I have a 16 GB iPhone 3Gs (software 3.1.3, modem firmware 05.12.01, about 500 songs and podcasts) that I got about 8 months ago, and have paired it to my brand new 2010 Maxima SV with premium tech pkg. When I test drove it, the call history from my iPhone came up listing names of people recently called. Now, though, the only info I get from my handset phonebook are the same long strings of letters/numbers others have described. It is frustrating having to manually add these to the vehicle phonebook (which only holds a paltry 40 entries) and then edit the names. I agree, this should be seamless, but is anything but.

Furthermore, I also am having issues when playing music from my iPhone of the music randomly quitting. I am playing it via the USB cable. I have not been able to play it over the bluetooth connection, but I haven't exhaustively explored the owner's manual about this.

I plan to print out this blog and take it to the dealer to show them that this is not a random event. It is reproducible across multiple vehicles in this model and needs to be addressed. If it doesn't happen in the Murano with the same phone, then it has to be a problem with the Maxima.
Post back and let us know what they say. My new radio is still back ordered... its been on back order for some time now.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM

So, I get the "2c234fsfsadcas34324fsdf" list in my "handset phonebook" screen. Is there a fix for it? So far, deleting and reconnecting the phone seems to fix it, at least temporarily

I know it's off topic, but my sunroof died today, after having the car for 2 weeks. Ugh.

-John
Old 03-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DraKhen99
So, I get the "2c234fsfsadcas34324fsdf" list in my "handset phonebook" screen. Is there a fix for it? So far, deleting and reconnecting the phone seems to fix it, at least temporarily
I keep getting the same things when i look up the handset phone book on the screen. Are there any fixes for this?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 2k10
I keep getting the same things when i look up the handset phone book on the screen. Are there any fixes for this?
I get the same. Very annoyed amongst other things.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello

I too am having the disconnect check cable message error. We just bought our Maxima Tuesday and it is a 2010 SV with Prem and Tech MSRP 39700.

I have an Iphone 3g running 3.1.3 not jail broken. 1500 songs, no vids.

The iphone also acts funny during song searches. It locks up on the nav unit. i can scroll through artists, for example, and the selections go up and down but when I press enter to play it wont. It will just sit there. I have to back out of that meny selection and start over and then it works. Annoying...

Also, sometimes the iphone will just undock itself and then we can't get it to recognize at all unless we come back later.

My 1st Gen Ipod Mini works FLAWLESSLY...

I cannot get the phonebook to transfer either but, I see that issue is much more common.

The sales person told me that the interface would charge the phone and it does using the USB but I get that annoying" Not made for IPOD ut in airplane mode..." Hit "no" and move on.

Still can't get ringtones to work on this either...

I hope this helps!

I will call my dealer...
Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by DaddyGoFast
I hope this helps! I will call my dealer...
I does help. Thank you for posting your problems. That seems to be the normal thing with the iPhone. Calling your dealer like you said is the best thing because it will let Nissan know yet another person is having this problem. Thank you again and I hope we get a fix for this soon
Old 03-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

iPhone follow up

I finally got in to my dealer today, and the manager said he bumped up my issues to the Nissan corporate folks who told him there are similar issues with this iPhone and Avalons, Camrys, BMW's, etc. He said he confirmed it himself. I did a brief web search about these and found that while there are some problems with the iphones with some of these vehicles, they are not necessarily the same ones as we are having. The inability to load your address book to the car seems pretty universal, though. Interestingly, most everyone had better luck with phones other than the iPhone and their 1st generation iPhones all seemed to work flawlessly.

On a side note, my streaming of music through the USB port seems to be working fine for the time being. I thought that changing the tracks via the steering wheel controls was the problem initially, causing freezing up of the system, but that has not proven to be the case lately.

Also, I was able to play music from the iPhone over the bluetooth system in the car, even using the Pandora app. So I was happy about that. It even automatically switches off when a phone call is placed or answered, then comes back on automatically when the call is finished.

The main complaint I have remains the fact that incoming or outgoing calls are still listed as the long string of numbers/letters unless you have manually entered the info into the vehicle phonebook. The fact that the first time the phone is paired to the car yields the handset phonebook info on an incoming call or call history, then subsequently yields the number/letter string says to me it is a software problem.

By all means, everyone, tell your dealers this, give them a printout of this thread, and have them bump it up the food chain. I think Nissan knows it's a problem, now they need to show Apple how many people are having issues with it in order to get the fix going. If anyone has any juice with Apple separately, that would help also. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 AM

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Sometimes if the wheel squeaks too much it gets replaced and thown away!

Haha, sorry I know that really doesn't apply with what we are talking about but I just couldn't resist and have always wanted to use that saying

I agree with you 100% though.

IMO, and this is just my opinion... I think maybe a reason they haven't come out to the publicly with acknowledgement of this is because they are really concerned about the whole Toyota recall factor. Don't get me wrong, after the Toyota thing everybody and their brother started putting out recalls to try and protect themselves from bad poblicity but all flood of recalls were to do with saftey issues. With all these recalls coming out of the woodwork to protect the company, no matter if it has already caused injury or not, any recall is still bad publicity. Companies don't want bad publicity. Somthing like our issue with the USB, iPhone and addressbook is def not on the top of their "to recall list". So untill things cool down I don't think they will recall radios just to keep their recall count down. Just my opinion. I'm interested on anyone elses opinion on this.....Mr. Lightonthehill...

I still agree with complaining and having it bumped up to Nissan over and over because that is the ONLY way and thing will get resolved.

What I have done to deal with the iPhone music issue it just play small groups of music. When changing songs, only give the car less than 450 songs to change too. Do this by not shuffling through your whole song list, just pick artist, smaller playlist, ect. In other words at the bottom of the screen where it reads "Track XX of XXX" don't let that last number be higher than 450. In doing this I haven't had the slightest problem in over a month and a half now. I'm sure if I picked my whole library (which is around 3000 for the 32GB) I would still get that dreaded error very often.
Just a suggestion to help deal with this problem till it gets resolved.
Thanks again for anyones input or personal experience with these issues. They are always wanted.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Flip2cho,
I believe your method is the best for now.
I dont know if this is worth anything, but I got a call from Nissan customer service asking me about my experience with the car so far and if my experience at the dealership for my first oil change was what i expected. I used the opportunity to complain about this as my only gripe with the car so far, and mentioned it seeme dot be a rather wide-spread problem.

Not sure if it would make any difference, i just wanted to continue the tradition of complaining until someone hears us...
Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by rreeddblack10
Flip2cho,
I believe your method is the best for now.
I dont know if this is worth anything, but I got a call from Nissan customer service asking me about my experience with the car so far and if my experience at the dealership for my first oil change was what i expected. I used the opportunity to complain about this as my only gripe with the car so far, and mentioned it seeme dot be a rather wide-spread problem.

Not sure if it would make any difference, i just wanted to continue the tradition of complaining until someone hears us...
Every effort to "bubble up" problems is greatly appreciated. You never know how many straws it will take to bring the camel to his knees and I greatly applaud your efforts because which ever straw does the trick would not have been able to be successful with out the bail of straws that came before it.

I go to get my new radio installed one day this week and I will post if the new radio has had any effects on our issue but if not I am going to keep complaining until it gets resolved and I hope you do the same.

Thanks to everyone for their continuous efforts
Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What I have done to deal with the iPhone music issue it just play small groups of music. When changing songs, only give the car less than 450 songs to change too. Do this by not shuffling through your whole song list, just pick artist, smaller playlist, ect. In other words at the bottom of the screen where it reads "Track XX of XXX" don't let that last number be higher than 450. In doing this I haven't had the slightest problem in over a month and a half now. I'm sure if I picked my whole library (which is around 3000 for the 32GB) I would still get that dreaded error very often.
That explains why I haven't had any problems with the music lately. I've been using smaller playlists.

It also makes sense about the recall issue regarding Japanese carmakers. I hadn't thought of that angle.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

picked up the car tonight. SV + tech package. I have an iphone 3gs. After I read this forums I brought a griffin cable which had AV cables as well to the dealership when I picked up the car to test it.

Initially when he pluged it in, it was working no problem. Then I tried the AV cables which allowed me to stream Youtube videos on the Aux screen with the parking brake. Afterwards I tried to change it back to the iphone, it kept getting stuck at "reading usb cable"

Dealer had no idea what was causing the problem but he seemed pretty determined to try to fix it or at least get an answer to it. I was actually kinda impressed by it. I wouldve thought the dealer would just give up and blame the phone or the cable. But he seemed pretty determined. I mentioned to him that people had been having this problem and thats why I purposely brought the cable to test it before i brought home the car. Now he said that ever since the car came out 2 years ago, he's never heard of this case. But I'm thinking that 2 years ago, the iphone 3gs wasn't out either. But he did assure me that if it still doesn't work he said the warranty would cover it.

It's definitely some type of firmwire issue. Whether it's apple or nissan side, that I don't have a clue.

So afterwards, we went inside to talk about the paperwork while one of his tech guys try to see what's wrong. In the end, he said the tech guy just plugged in his phone and it worked. I tested it and it really did work. However, I'm thinking in the back of my head that there might still be a connectivity issue.

When i was driving home about 20 mins into the drive it disconnects on me while i was scrolling through the playlist. Now I dont really have a huge playlist 25 songs? I noticed that it got stuck on one song and said check usb etc. I kept unplugging and pluggin while driving on the highway -_- nothing worked. As soon as i got home turned off the car and back on, it worked.

The maxima is great by all means but little things like this does bug me a little. I also have the scorche plug too. I haven't tested it out yet though.

I know several people have had this problem as well.

Anyone have any other solutions on what worked for them?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by sprintlphie
picked up the car tonight. SV + tech package. I have an iphone 3gs. After I read this forums I brought a griffin cable which had AV cables as well to the dealership when I picked up the car to test it.

Initially when he pluged it in, it was working no problem. Then I tried the AV cables which allowed me to stream Youtube videos on the Aux screen with the parking brake. Afterwards I tried to change it back to the iphone, it kept getting stuck at "reading usb cable"

Dealer had no idea what was causing the problem but he seemed pretty determined to try to fix it or at least get an answer to it. I was actually kinda impressed by it. I wouldve thought the dealer would just give up and blame the phone or the cable. But he seemed pretty determined. I mentioned to him that people had been having this problem and thats why I purposely brought the cable to test it before i brought home the car. Now he said that ever since the car came out 2 years ago, he's never heard of this case. But I'm thinking that 2 years ago, the iphone 3gs wasn't out either. But he did assure me that if it still doesn't work he said the warranty would cover it.

It's definitely some type of firmwire issue. Whether it's apple or nissan side, that I don't have a clue.

So afterwards, we went inside to talk about the paperwork while one of his tech guys try to see what's wrong. In the end, he said the tech guy just plugged in his phone and it worked. I tested it and it really did work. However, I'm thinking in the back of my head that there might still be a connectivity issue.

When i was driving home about 20 mins into the drive it disconnects on me while i was scrolling through the playlist. Now I dont really have a huge playlist 25 songs? I noticed that it got stuck on one song and said check usb etc. I kept unplugging and pluggin while driving on the highway -_- nothing worked. As soon as i got home turned off the car and back on, it worked.

The maxima is great by all means but little things like this does bug me a little. I also have the scorche plug too. I haven't tested it out yet though.

I know several people have had this problem as well.

Anyone have any other solutions on what worked for them?
I have an iPhone 3GS and a 4th-gen iPod Nano, and both have worked fine, with well over 1,000 songs. I am using the Apple-supplied cable to connect my phone and iPod to the USB port on my max.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:12 AM

I have an iPhone 3GS and a 4th-gen iPod Nano, and both have worked fine, with well over 1,000 songs. I am using the Apple-supplied cable to connect my phone and iPod to the USB port on my max.
And you shuffle through the whole list? So when your playing a song it will say for example 72 of 1436 songs?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
And you shuffle through the whole list? So when your playing a song it will say for example 72 of 1436 songs?
Sure, at least on the Nano ... I wiped my iPhone's music, so I only have 215 songs on there ... it plays fine too. Honestly, I have 2 iPods I use for in-car music... I rarely need to use the iPhone, but I played music off of it on my test drive for over a 1/2 hour, no problems, and that's when I had about 1,100 songs on it.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM

The cable that comes with the car doesnt work (charge) on the newer IPODs... i had to buy an adapter for $30 that attaches to the end of the cable
Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by vancitymax
The cable that comes with the car doesnt work (charge) on the newer IPODs... i had to buy an adapter for $30 that attaches to the end of the cable
There's a cable that comes with the car? Where would it be located? Like I said, I just use my Apple cable, and haven't had any problems.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

picked up my 2010 Monday and finding some of the same issues, my I phone G3 will bluetooth connect the Phone side and the contacts work great. the I tunes will sink as well and play my music, but the music is dropping out every six seconds as if it were skipping. I went back to the dealer and we check it in another car and it is doing the same thing. I have not check my car with a different I phone, But my I phone will stream audio to bluetooth in the house with out skipping.

Has anyone run in to this before, if so what was the answer.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 AM

There's a cable that comes with the car? Where would it be located? Like I said, I just use my Apple cable, and haven't had any problems.
The 2009 Maximas came with a special cable connector to plug into a "special" Nissan receptacle in the center storage console.

The 2010 Maximas came with the USB receptacle that requires you to provide your own cable.

It appears the issues are occurring with the 2010's.

I have a 2009 and i do NOT have an Iphone, yet!, so I can't verify that. But I am hoping on getting the newest Iphone when it comes out in the summer. I don't plan on using it as my primary "music device" while in the car, but I will at least try it when I get. I already have a 160Gb Ipod which fulfills that role. I also plan on purchasing the Scosh "type" charger as well.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:33 AM

I had my radio replaced yesterday for a problem it was having with the XM radio not for the iPhone problem. What I have noticed so far is that it has fixed the XM thing but also my handset phone contacts all show up now with no problem! That's very nice. No more "452AJIHD55289HJJJWKMW" it actually shows and says the real name "John Doe" for example. With my old radio I never seen the actual name just that long number code. Seems the new radio has solved that issue for me. As far as the locking up with the music, it's too soon to tell but I will keep posting. Thought a lot of y'all would be interested in what has changed with the new radio so far though.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 AM

I had my radio replaced yesterday for a problem it was having with the XM radio not for the iPhone problem. What I have noticed so far is that it has fixed the XM thing but also my handset phone contacts all show up now with no problem! That's very nice. No more "452AJIHD55289HJJJWKMW" it actually shows and says the real name "John Doe" for example. With my old radio I never seen the actual name just that long number code. Seems the new radio has solved that issue for me. As far as the locking up with the music, it's too soon to tell but I will keep posting. Thought a lot of y'all would be interested in what has changed with the new radio so far though.
Have you turned the car off and restarted it yet? The hexadecimal strings don't show up for me when I first pair the phone with the car, only on subsequent startups.

If this is true, then I'll have my dealership order a new radio and replace mine!

-John
Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My bro had the hexidecimal problem. All I did was remove the phone from the bluetooth list and reconnect it again as if the phone never connected to the car before. Problem solved.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
My bro had the hexidecimal problem. All I did was remove the phone from the bluetooth list and reconnect it again as if the phone never connected to the car before. Problem solved.
That works for me as well... the first time. Subsequent restarts of the car cause the hexadecimal stuff to show up again.

-John
Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM

I have started the car maybe a half a dozen times since yesterday and I still get the full names. My old radio was def wacky. No problems so far with the new one, knock on wood....
Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My bro had the hexidecimal problem today. Quick 1 minute fix.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
My bro had the hexidecimal problem today. Quick 1 minute fix.
Guess I'll have to give it another shot tomorrow and see if it's fixed more permanently.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Very interesting! What was the XM problem?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 AM

Very interesting! What was the XM problem?
Check this link
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...xm-2010-a.html

That problem I would say it totally gone. Hadn't heard it once and it would happen quite often. Wierd how it would only make the loud sound on the SAT side of the radio but the new radio solved that issue for sure.

Also checked the handset phonebook again today and it still reads they way it should. Not having to re-connect to fix anything, just the way it should be all the time.

Last edited by Flip2cho; 04-05-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Iphone Issues-other