7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Constructive Comments on 7th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM

im disapointed with all of the threads about the 7th gen. does there really need to be so many people starting threads about the same shet.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:24 PM

i dont get why people are/were expecting 300+hp. if they did that, its right there with the new g35 sedan. its all big business, its right in between the g35 sedan and the altima. at least now there's a reason to buy a maxima over an altima, look at all the luxuries and additions it offers over the altima. job well done i say on Nissans end.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:35 PM
schemes on chicks in his max.

It amuses me that so many people are aiming and shooting for the new max to be a disappointment. For crying out loud, its 2008...Not 2001,2,or 3 for that matter. Times are Changing..Just like they say 30s the new 20, well bigger and more luxurious is the new thing. All of this talk about specs this and specs that, camry cues and all this other nonsense...Bottom line is, the car is a great looker. I think it was designed nicely and i look forward to buying mine in June of this year.

People hoped and prayed for awd..Hoped and prayed for real wheel drive..GO TO INFINITI if you want that!! What do you have now?! You have a FWD car! Tired of it? Then go elsewhere. This is MAXIMA.ORG..Accept the maxima for what it is- a family sedan with great performance at that. Has been all along. From what i read, there is a 6-speed manual coming out. So i think it is very very premature to title this car as disappointing from a specs and performance point of view. As for the looks of the car, every has his/her opinion on that. Like i said I absolutely love the way the car looks. i actually seen it in burnt orange this past saturday. It stands out, it delivers on looks, and looks very very aggressive.

People that are knee-deep into this nonsense about 0-60 times and quarter mile times...Yea, everyone wants their car to be a fast powerful machine...Thats what this car is made for..For comfort and power packaged into one! Leave that track crap for the 350Z and GTR.

We as maxima owners have simply strayed away from what the maxima is TODAY...Back in the day, oh say 93-99 there were only a handful of competitive car companies..And nissan outshined the majority of them. I think its time we all step back, admire what nissan has done, and applaud them for fixing longtime issues with the maxima such as torque steer.

As much as we'd hate to admit it, nissan has taken the approach that acura has in the sense of letting the younger brother take the reigns as the performer.. (RL-->TL). Its time we live with it and stop bashing.

oh and btw, the article i read about the 6sp manual is here http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ima_first_look

See you all in June.

Oh and one more thing...This silver color doesnt do it justice..Hell, pictures of maximas and the papers with the specs NEVER do it justice...SO i say to all. Beware, this may very well be what we have all been waiting for.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM

wow.
MaximaInCT203 .
he's touchy.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM

The new design looks great coming from a 5th gen owner. Front end looks similar to a Scion TC with altered HID head lights. It looks better in the newer more candid screen shots that were taken at the auto show and looks way better in a different color. I don't understand all the hate aside from the missing 6-speed M/T but reading from the specs that were released, the CVT doesn't sound too bad but hopefully they release a 6-speed sooner or later. The engine bay does looks weird to me though with all those guards or whatever. All the handling improvements are a step up. But overall an infinitely way better design than the 6th generation. And a great addition to the Maxima line.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM

I probably overstepped when I said I was very disappointed. Based on articles saying that Nissan was going to return it to a true 4DSC, I just expected a different look. But that's what happens when you hear so much for so long, you develop your own idea as to what it should look like. However, there have been many times when I have seen pictures of new models and then see it in person and have a totally different opinion. I'm sure once I sit in it, drive it, etc. I'll have a much better attitude about the 7TH Gen.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stevied23
I probably overstepped when I said I was very disappointed. Based on articles saying that Nissan was going to return it to a true 4DSC, I just expected a different look. But that's what happens when you hear so much for so long, you develop your own idea as to what it should look like. However, there have been many times when I have seen pictures of new models and then see it in person and have a totally different opinion. I'm sure once I sit in it, drive it, etc. I'll have a much better attitude about the 7TH Gen.
true.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I'm hoping the variable timing on the exhaust side makes better use of a full exhaust. That would be nice.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:12 PM

anyone know nissan got away from the 6 speed in the maxima ...but yet with the same engine combo i can get a 6 speed in a altima(yuck) is it the luxury image or what?????????????
Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 PM
OG and counting...

CVT = I'll pass.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 PM

can anyone tell me why nissan got away from putting the 6 speed in the maxima. why is it i can get a altima(yuck) with the same engine combo but no stick in the maxima. is it the luxury crowd their going after?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:46 PM

I am a 6.5th gen owner and I am disappointed. But I guess, I have very different disappointments than most of you people, even other 6th gen owners.

I predicted in this forum that the 09 Max would get 285 hp and 265 lb-ft torque which is not difficult to extrapolate from Nissan's other recent vehicles (http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=269). We got 290 hp and 261 lb-ft torque, thats pretty damn close, so nothing to be sad.

I love the CVT in my 07 Max. It gives a very comfortable smooth ride with no shift-shocks. I definitely love that the 09 is getting a better version of the CVT. And of course, I love all the talk about better handling in the 09. I also love the extra features, like cooled driver's seat, push button start, dual moonroof, etc. in the 09 that I wish I had in my 07. And being in Florida, I do not care about AWD. Also, I do not care about RWD as I never go to the track.

But I am disappointed in the looks of the 09 Max. Looks of a car is a personal preference, similar to liking/disliking a movie or a song or a food dish... I really loved the looks of the 6.5th gen. In my opinion, the 6.5th gen Maxima looked close to a luxury car and everything about it was very original.

From the side, the 09 Max looks very high class. The rear is OK. The hood looks good. But the front seems very out of place to me. The headlights and grill just do not flow with the rest of the body. The similar grill flows well with the rest of the GTR body but not with the 09 Max.

While most people said they find the 09 interior very luxurious, the dash design with all the controls doesn't seem very sophisticated to me. Why does one need to border every **** and button by an aluminium strip? Removing those aluminium borders would have vastly improved the dash look. I feel the dash of the 2007-08 Max w/o navi (not the 04-06 Max or 07-08 Max with navi) seems more sophisticated to me. Here is a picture of what I mean:

After the 6.5th gen Max, I was expecting a classy sports sedan like this one:

So, I am a bit disappointed. But I guess, I will wait for the car I was looking for.

BTW, I find a lot of people criticizing the 6th gen Max with following two statements:
1. The 6th gen Max looks ugly, fugly, bubbly, boat, etc.
2. It is difficult to distinguish between the 6th gen Max and the new Altima.

As everybody knows, the new Altima is Consumer Report's top-ranked mid-priced sedan. In order to reach that position, looks (among other things) of the Altima has definitely played a role. If the 6th gen Max's looks is almost indistinguishable from the looks of the new Altima, how can it be ugly, fugly, etc. etc.? The only explanation is that, such comments about the 6th gen Max came from eccentric people.

Last edited by bb700092; 03-19-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 PM

hahahaha,,,i dont think anyone really has the right to say anything bad about the new maxima...ur seeing a few pics of it...wait till you see it in person, drive it and do a few mods im sure it will come out lookin dope..still way to early to start beef hahaa.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

i love it.

it went way beyond what anyone hoped for features wise.

yes it's sad no 3.7 or 6sp. but i'm not disappointed since i did not expect them. but 290 is damn good. and without a loss in MPG while 6.2 which may dip below 14 1/4. sport suspension returns with 18 or 19 wheels. and i'm seeing fewer cars with the ebrake handle anyways.

i'm glad so many are disappointed. they will be even more shocked when they see one in person.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 PM
*moderator*

Well after having a day or so to digest. I really like the 7th gen. Overall the lines look amazing. Granted Infiniti this, Avalon that, they took good elements and made them work. I love the bold fender lines, and the front end with clean grills will be sweet. It looks tight to me. The interior is a G rip off, OK fine with me!. The one thing I am still getting used to is the tail lights.

But after seeing this rear shot, I felt a bit better. The tails don't look as harsh, and LED's yay!

And with potential for the mods...

I will be most likley move onto the 7th gen but will wait though until the 2010 comes out, possibly diesel & 6MT??? You never know, if they want to keep with this 4DSC they better!

Again my opinions. thanks...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
i love it.

it went way beyond what anyone hoped for features wise.

yes it's sad no 3.7 or 6sp. but i'm not disappointed since i did not expect them. but 290 is damn good. and without a loss in MPG while 6.2 which may dip below 14 1/4. sport suspension returns with 18 or 19 wheels. and i'm seeing fewer cars with the ebrake handle anyways.

i'm glad so many are disappointed. they will be even more shocked when they see one in person.
Some good points, I hear more surprises to come.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM

^^^^^^ this looks like a scion
Old 03-19-2008, 05:28 PM
SuPeRmOd

Jay you're doing Stillen's work for them haha.

I can't wait til June to drive one. So sad my 6 is here to stay.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I like the new look overall, though like many, i find the little 'tail' on the headlights to be distracting. maybe they can replace it with a euro-style fender sidemarker. i like the taillights. thank god they got rid of the dreaded 6th gen red blinkers!!! i could never get over that when i saw 6th gens - what a cheap move by Nissan..

the interior is cool, i don't mind chrome in places, and i'd have to sit in it to see about the reach to the navscreen.

the performance specs are somewhat disappointing, but i'm not going to complain about it. people were so happy with a FF 160HP car in 1989 so why do we complain when we see a 290hp version? Maximas have been fwd for the last 24 years. It's just a fact of life. Such is the same with most basic/luxo combo companies. Infinity, Lexus, just the RWD versions of the FWD cheaper cars. Acura is the exception but hondas suck anyhow, so there's no sense in bothering.

The transmission is not such a bad thing. In 'manual mode' it's no different from any other sequential dualclutch tranny car, just that this one is based on a CVT. It'll shift the same as an Enzo..... just won't drive like one. So the paddleshift CVT isn't such a horrible thing, imo. I'd rather have a stick and treadmill paddles, but that's just me (and the rest of the ORG). But just give it a few years, Nissan may decide that sales can increase from tossing the old 6th gen's 6spd back into the mix.

Point is.. it's better than the 6th 5th and 4th gen, and hella faster than the 3rd gen. It's got projected HIDs and LED tails. It's got a plush interior, nav standard, 18s standard, and a pretty decent suspension.

What's not to like?
Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
I'm disappointed. The numbers are blah and the look of the car is blah blah. I cant believe that this is a failure for nissan.

Where is the design team they should be fired.

I'm going to buy the g37 or 4 door g35 or 09 TL. 2009 nissan camry (throw up)
IMO the Max rear end (***) has been busted since 2k. The '04 tried some cosmetic surgery and it nearly worked until the Altryma adopted it and updated it with M-looks.

Now the ("'09") appears with practically the same rear end as the '07 Camry/Lexis sedan.

So-Cal Nissan design team needs a refreshing.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Wish they would have kept the Quad exahust tips of the 07/08 instead of the dual tip exhaust .
Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM

^^^^ Im with you man, just saw my a couple of 6th gens outside today and was wishing they would have kept the quad exhast tips on the 7th gen. A question did all trim models of the 6th gen have quad tips? because if the answer is no then maybe we can get it with one of the trims, but it does not seem to be one of the features in any of the option packages.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:04 PM

What would be some reasons to get the 7th Gen Maxima over the G35 other than the price? The only reason I can think of is if you need roomier rear seats...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This 7th gen is grabbing me more and more. I think its because the potential is there for mods. Cant wait to see it in person this summer.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 PM

'So-Cal design team'? Nissan moved their USA operations from Cal to Nashville TN to lower costs and be nearer the assembly line.

I love the new Maxima, and I think seeing one in person will change a few views here. Cars sometimes look better in person than in a photo . The new wheelbase is slightly shorter, and the stance is slightly wider. The big arch in the 6th gen cabin roofline has been slightly lowered to a more standard height, and I like it a lot. I can't wait to see the sculpted hood up close from a position standing beside the car looking down. The back is cleaner, with only two tailpipes, no lettering but the word 'Maxima', and has a nice spoiler.

I am very excited about this car, and eagerly await June when I can see it on my dealer's lot.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by HOKIEBOOST
What would be some reasons to get the 7th Gen Maxima over the G35 other than the price? The only reason I can think of is if you need roomier rear seats...
The same reason I bought my 6th gen over a G35, size/space/room...oh and price.

Originally Posted by vladi77
A question did all trim models of the 6th gen have quad tips?
Yes they did, and I agree the dual duals looks better. But regardless, most of us members who get them will be upgrading the exhaust anyways...
Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 PM

I absolutely love it. Like most the CVT is disappointing, but I've been looking for a 6th Gen for a DD after driving my Uncle's and loving it,,, I just might wait to drive the 7th.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 PM

Not completely sold on it yet,but the interior is def sik and the added horses doesnt hurt either.Overall, def not bad.....
Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
'So-Cal design team'? Nissan moved their USA operations from Cal to Nashville TN to lower costs and be nearer the assembly line.

I love the new Maxima, and I think seeing one in person will change a few views here. Cars sometimes look better in person than in a photo . The new wheelbase is slightly shorter, and the stance is slightly wider. The big arch in the 6th gen cabin roofline has been slightly lowered to a more standard height, and I like it a lot. I can't wait to see the sculpted hood up close from a position standing beside the car looking down. The back is cleaner, with only two tailpipes, no lettering but the word 'Maxima', and has a nice spoiler.

I am very excited about this car, and eagerly await June when I can see it on my dealer's lot.
I believe the design center is in Flagstaff, AZ. The black 7th gen spy shots were taken there.

Last edited by RHMax; 03-19-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:09 AM

The design center may well be in Arizona (I wouldn't know), but the cars being tested were not built in Arizona, but were taken there for testing because that is a great place to test cars (one can go from desert floor to 7,000 feet is less than an hour, and there are lots of sparsely-traveled roads).

The testing of heavily-camouflaged vehicles as shown in the early spy photos would not generally be done by stylists or designers (their 'testing' is done by measuring public reaction to the car), but by skilful drivers and engineers whose job is testing the operational functions of the car.

Either way, the large Nissan staff once working in California has been moved to Nashville, and, even though Nissan offered generous inducements, many very talented employees left the company rather than relocate to Hillbilly country.

Nissan has hinted in their releases that we may not yet have seen everything with regard to the '09 Maxima, and that things are not yet etched in stone. There may be some truth in those hints, but the assembly lines will begin running no later than next month, as Nissan has committed to a June dealer shipment date, and it takes two months to build the inventory Nissan needs before simultaneous shipment to hundreds of dealers begins.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:29 AM

So far, without reading other reviews and haveing only checked out the pics...

I'm liking the design... it's back to looking agressive i find... the previous model wasn't looking so hot... very "family car" type thing... atleast this newer maxima will look more like a 4DSC :-)
Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 AM

I am very happy with what I have seen with the new Maxima so far. I will probably be getting one later on this year when I'm settled in my career.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 AM

Aside from the Scionesque grille, about what I expected. I'd like to see another 4DSC, but didn't expect one. That mission was transferred to the Altima back in 2001, and is even more the case with the more compact 2007+.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 AM

I like it alot. Im going to the NY show Saturday pretty much just to see this car in person lol. I really like the 290hp and 260lb-ft of tq. It should have a 6 speed. Id buy one as soon as it came out if it was 6 speed. I love it so much....!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM

the front needs to be fixed...very ugly...the back is bearable but reminds me of a yaris....
Old 03-20-2008, 11:55 AM

mkaresh - You are absolutely correct that Nissan made a decision in 2001 to begin moving the Maxima to an upscale sports luxury position, and fill the old Maxima 'affordable 4DSC' position by upgrading the Altima 3.5.

I happen to think the decision to move the Maxima to full sports-luxury flagship status was not in itself a bad one, but the old Maxima slot should have been filled with something more individualized (even exclusive) than by a variation of Nissan's 'sedan for the masses' (Altima). The Altima is an excellent car, and available in anything from a $17K base transportation version to a $32K virtual Maxima equivalent. But there is no panache there, and the 4DSC position DEMANDS panache, not a mass-marketed 'all things to all people' vehicle.

I think Nissan will eventually understand this. It is my hope they may already have gotten the message, and will come out with a 7 speed manual tranny 'SE' version of the 7th generation Maxima in the not-too-distant future. But I could be wrong.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 PM

I see a bloated chunk of metal w/o a stick shift...4DSC my ****...
Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 PM
2003SE

Originally Posted by Stevied23
I don't know if it was because of all the anticipation, similar to hearing every minute about a movie and then you see it and it sucks. I'm very disappointed in the new styling; there are good and bad, but mostly bad IMO. The exterior looks like it's trying to be aggressive and a senior citizen's cruising Buick or Camry in the same token. The interior looks ok but looks like it has a lot of buttons and not very refined. I remember reading several articles that said Nissan was going to return to its 4DSC roots, trying to get away from the bloated look of the 6th Gen. I have always liked the look of the 6TH Gen. so much that I purchased one. I was looking forward to the 7TH Gen to come out so I could purchase one in its 2nd or 3rd model year. Not now. Maybe I'll look towards a German car or Lexus. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Well said!

Last edited by 2003SE; 03-22-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by maxitech
I see a bloated chunk of metal w/o a stick shift...4DSC my ****...
The 02 Skyline 350GT was equipped with a CVT, and i believe they continue to have that option on the other side of the world.

And the Skyline (okay, G35) is considered by a lot to be a sports sedan.

Then there's also the GT-R, which doesn't even come with a stick shift.

I guess my point is, what's wrong with being a 4DSC and not having a manual tranny? Is it because it's a "Maxima" and not a "G35" or "GT-R"?

Not arguing, just curious.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Im loving the whole car more and more. It has a coupe/sports car design style to it. The headlights are nothing to me now. With the spoiler and the 19's it gives the car a nice 4DSC look.

Quick Reply: Constructive Comments on 7th Gen Maxima