7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

7th Gen Performance Specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:12 PM

nitro230 - Thank you very much for the C/D reference. I must admit I am quite impressed by the 5.8 zero-to-sixty. I'm sure that is the best 0-60 ET a totally stock Maxima has ever done in a mag test. It also seems Nissan has finally licked the ubiquitous 'torque steer' thingie. Torque steer was THE primary reason my son opted for the TL Type 'S' over the Maxima.

The new Maxima is still a four door family sedan, and not a race car. But is has some very nice 'sporty' touches. The entry level has risen above $30K, but, especially in these tough economic times, dealers will soon be negotiating from invoice, and decently equipped '09s will be available for around $33 to 34K, with base models maybe available around $29K.

I am excited!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Under either rating system, the increase is a very healthy 35 HP, clearly moving away from the Altima. The zero to sixty time of 5.8 seconds in the Car and Driver test just referenced by nitro230 (many thanks, nitro) might indicate Nissan may have even understated the 35 HP increase.
should be interesting to see how the time improves, from what I've read owners have comment on faster times with some mileage and a proper break in
Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM

lightonthehill...I really hope that you are right saying that dealers will sell a nicely equipped Maxima for 34G's. I really want one come late this year/early next year, but I want to keep it under 35 with a good amount of nice features...Dark Slate with sport and tech packages

Last edited by nitro230; 05-16-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:43 PM

Dammit Gina, now I'm not for sure if I'm going to get the Max or not. I'm not paying $37k for this car, not even $35... I had a feeling it was going to go from regular to premium, this is turning out to be a real liability in terms of what I was wanting to pay/cost of ownership. My wife's 350Z took premium and she constantly got around 25-29 miles to the gallon on the highway but damn...premium is about to be the price of a double quarter pounder with cheese and supersized plus a hot fudge sunday around this joint. If this car is going to cost this much then a G37 or G35 is where I need to be looking. .
Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Another review but no performance details

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ima/index.html
Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kobra_Klutch
Dammit Gina, now I'm not for sure if I'm going to get the Max or not. I'm not paying $37k for this car, not even $35... I had a feeling it was going to go from regular to premium, this is turning out to be a real liability in terms of what I was wanting to pay/cost of ownership. My wife's 350Z took premium and she constantly got around 25-29 miles to the gallon on the highway but damn...premium is about to be the price of a double quarter pounder with cheese and supersized plus a hot fudge sunday around this joint. If this car is going to cost this much then a G37 or G35 is where I need to be looking. .
Premium is not THAT expensive. At many gas stations the price difference has always been about $0.10 to $0.12 between the grades. So, when regular used to be $1.00, premium was $1.20. Even now, regular is $3.89 and premium is $4.09 (at the gas station by my house).

So, premium has always cost an extra $3-4 to fill. Seems to me it is becoming a better deal. Where it used to be a 20% price jump, now it is only a 5-8% price jump these days.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 PM

MotorTrend

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html
Old 05-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by maxger
my god. this is NWS!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I choose to drive the Maxima for one reason...its a Maxima.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM

made in china - The difference between regular and premium is an area where I am convinced there is some finagling going on.

Many years ago, the difference between reg and mid was a nickle, and between mid and premium another nickle.

Just a few years ago, as the price of gas continued to rise, the difference between each grade escalated to a dime. That was understandable, as the percentage increase was in keeping with the overall price of gas.

These days, some areas of the country still seem to have only a dime or fifteen cents difference between each grade. But other areas of the country are really out of whack. For instance, early this week, the Georgia office of AAA said the AVERAGE price of regular gasoline in the state of Georgia was $3.68, and the AVERAGE price of premium was $4.14. That is a difference of FORTY-SIX CENTS A GALLON. That is almost exactly the situation I face.

46 cents a gallon may not sound like a lot, but when I filled up this week (my needle had approached empty; still almost three gallons left in the tank), I took 17.4 gallons. 17.4 times 46 cents per gallon is exactly EIGHT DOLLARS a tank I saved by using regular.

For those who still may not have the 'word,' the stock 6th gen Maxima recommends premium, but says very clearly in the owner's manual that the engine is designed to also run on regular. I have been using regular for some time now, and have not been able to detect any difference. Of course the MPG is still exactly the same, as octane, despite endless urban rumors, has NO CONNECTION to MPG. Scientific analysis proves that fact. But there are always psuedo-scientists among us who can determine from one tankful that 'hey, that 93 octane really boosted my MPG'. Such statements are incorrect.

Because there are (IIRC) around three dozen factors that have to be duplicated exactly (such as temp, tilt of car, slant of car, nozzle cutoff sensor, acelleration, speed, wind conditions, road surface conditions, tire pressure, alignment, road grades, etc, etc), it is not possible to do an accurate MPG test by driving. To be exact, the test must be done in very carefully controlled laboratory conditions. Those laboratory tests confirm what science already tells us: octane has no connection to MPG.

Those who have endless amounts of money may continue to use premium, despite the fact tech folks say the performance difference is detectable only by a stopwatch in a maximum acelleration situation. Drivers who think they can feel a difference in driving are feeling that miniscule difference in their mind, not in their body.

But then we have been down this road a thousand times, and we might as well be discussing UFOs. Some believe and some don't.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

octane has no connection to MPG.
While this is true if octane is the only variable, it is not always true. Once an engine control scheme gains the ability to adjust ignition timing based on real-time knock sensors, the octane of the fuel used can absolutely (albeit indirectly) effect the fuel consumption of an engine.

This should be of interest to owners or potential owners of CVT equipped Maximas, as the CVT loves to put the engine into knock-conducive conditions... NOT when driven spiritedly, but when driven conservatively and with fuel economy in mind.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 AM

made in china - The difference between regular and premium is an area where I am convinced there is some finagling going on.

Many years ago, the difference between reg and mid was a nickle, and between mid and premium another nickle.

Just a few years ago, as the price of gas continued to rise, the difference between each grade escalated to a dime. That was understandable, as the percentage increase was in keeping with the overall price of gas.

These days, some areas of the country still seem to have only a dime or fifteen cents difference between each grade. But other areas of the country are really out of whack. For instance, early this week, the Georgia office of AAA said the AVERAGE price of regular gasoline in the state of Georgia was $3.68, and the AVERAGE price of premium was $4.14. That is a difference of FORTY-SIX CENTS A GALLON. That is almost exactly the situation I face.

46 cents a gallon may not sound like a lot, but when I filled up this week (my needle had approached empty; still almost three gallons left in the tank), I took 17.4 gallons. 17.4 times 46 cents per gallon is exactly EIGHT DOLLARS a tank I saved by using regular.

For those who still may not have the 'word,' the stock 6th gen Maxima recommends premium, but says very clearly in the owner's manual that the engine is designed to also run on regular. I have been using regular for some time now, and have not been able to detect any difference. Of course the MPG is still exactly the same, as octane, despite endless urban rumors, has NO CONNECTION to MPG. Scientific analysis proves that fact. But there are always psuedo-scientists among us who can determine from one tankful that 'hey, that 93 octane really boosted my MPG'. Such statements are incorrect.

Because there are (IIRC) around three dozen factors that have to be duplicated exactly (such as temp, tilt of car, slant of car, nozzle cutoff sensor, acelleration, speed, wind conditions, road surface conditions, tire pressure, alignment, road grades, etc, etc), it is not possible to do an accurate MPG test by driving. To be exact, the test must be done in very carefully controlled laboratory conditions. Those laboratory tests confirm what science already tells us: octane has no connection to MPG.

Those who have endless amounts of money may continue to use premium, despite the fact tech folks say the performance difference is detectable only by a stopwatch in a maximum acelleration situation. Drivers who think they can feel a difference in driving are feeling that miniscule difference in their mind, not in their body.

But then we have been down this road a thousand times, and we might as well be discussing UFOs. Some believe and some don't.
yo man I think you may be right for YOUR situation, but I have a few counterpoints.

Some gas stations do go higher than $0.10 per grade, but in my area at least 50% adhere to the $0.10 formula. At some stations they regularly have $0.32-0.35 difference between regular and premium. I don't buy gas at those stations. The whole gas pricing scheme is shady any way you look at it (don't get me started on why diesel is so expensive)

While you are correct that modern FI cars with knock sensors can survive on lower grades of fuel, AND technically they should get same mileage....in the real world that is not the case. I do not know the technical details for either argument, so I don't want to go there. Here is what I observed the last 2 years with two of my V6 cars that required premium fuel:

2002 Solara SE V6 5MT: 26-27 MPG on Premium. 23-24 MPG on Regular. Noted reduction in power.

1997 Maxima SE VQ30DE AT: 25-26 MPG on Premium. 25-26 MPG on Regular, no difference in power. (but I have a feeling the KS may have been dead on this motor, which could explain why I had no difference either way)

1997 Maxima SE VQ35DE (full A33B swap): 27+ MPG on Premium. Only tried Regular once but my MPG display tanked below 25.0MPG and my power dropped off so I discontinued that test and have never put regular in the 3.5 since.

As you can see, my Maxima with it's original drivetrain DID drive on any kind of gas just the same. But my Solara and my Maxima with the 3.5 requires Premium for best performance.

So, let's say gas is $4 regular and $4.20 premium.
16 gal fill up: $64 reg and $67.20 prem.
Cost per mile using Solara example above: $0.173 on regular, $0.161 on premium. Even if we used a worst case of $4.40 for premium compared to $4.00 regular, it would still only cost $0.169 for gas.

So...if your car can achieve similar performance on regular, use it. But a lot of people really do lose MPG's when using regular in a car optimized to run on premium. And I just proved that it actually costs more to suffer a 2-3MPG loss than just pony up the extra $$ for premium.

Last edited by made in china; 05-17-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:01 AM

Is it 100% confirmed that is requires premium, or is there still a chance that it will be able to use regular?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by nitro230
Is it 100% confirmed that is requires premium, or is there still a chance that it will be able to use regular?
You can safely try regular gas. Just keep good track of your MPGs when trying regular. Even a drop in 1MPG will end up erasing any value of using regular.

BTW, on my Maxima, the biggest drop in performance was at higher speeds. My car does not perform well at speeds above 70 due to the 4 speed auto, but it does well enough. With regular, the car felt asthmatic when I tried to coax extra power out of it in top gear. It was really obvious, and it felt like I was driving my wife's automatic Impreza. Yuck.

Now, if you can maintain your current MPG and good enough performance for you while trying regular, I think it is a good idea to switch. I just don't think you'll like what happens.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Forgive me if this has been said before, but I am too lazy to read the whole thread.:
I just came from talking to a rep from nissan at stillen(with other members from the org) and he said that the CVT is going to be an updated one with around 700 new algorithms to try and give it as much of a sporty feel as possible (trying to make it act like a sequentially manual gearbox without the dual clutches). They actually have a sporty mode (forget the name of it) that you will be able to put it in and it will try and mimic the characteristics of a manual gearbox, but he said that they are not thinking of putting a manual gearbox into the maxima. The luxury and sport models(only going to have an S and SV models so far if I am not mistaken) will have 19's and have "extra bracing" in back to make the rear stiffer, and make it feel sportier as well. From seeing and sitting inside it, the driver and passenger seats are comfortable and have enough support for when you push it hard. The rep also said that the car will have noise from the engine bay pumped into the cabin (like audi in the s8, he said) to give you the feel of driving a much sportier car. The rest of the stuff like power folding side mirrors, auto dimming side mirrors, etc you probably know about.

I also spoke to someone from stillen and it looks like stillen is already thinking of beginning R&D on aftermarket parts for the 09 Maxima, because they feel it is going to be more popular and sporty than before(talking more 6th gen wise). This is not official, but it looks promising for those who are thinking of getting it.

edit: from the looks of the engine bay, they are going back to the plastic upper intake manifold(like on the 5th gen)

Last edited by Mr. Blue Sky; 05-17-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:10 PM

So the regular vs premium discussion reveals we have a 'situational thing. My Maxima gets the same performance and MPG with regular at $8 less per tankful where I live. BUT - where the price differential between regular and premium means the difference is much less - say around $4 or less per tankful, premium may be a better choice for some Maximas, especially for those drivers who drive very aggressively, which is where the octane could make a difference.

In any event, if you find your particular car's engine is pinging past the period it takes to adjust to regular (should take no longer than one tankful), you MUST either have your engine tuned or use ONLY a higher octane.

I don't know that this is important, but since I switched to regular, I stick to three brands - BP, Shell and Chevron.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:48 AM

I had heard talk of a diesel powerplant. I guess that was a no-go?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by JD4440
I had heard talk of a diesel powerplant. I guess that was a no-go?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Here in the DFW area they seem to be doing what you stated in paragraph 4 at alot of stations, my station has 3.59 regular, 3.83 mid, 4.00 supreme.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:08 PM

Guess that will be when I buy the next one then.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 PM

I think automobile mag article is right on the money.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 PM

My wife test drove the V-6 and 4 cylinder Altima yesterday and she said the 4 cylinder would work just fine for her(I love my wife). She stated the power from the V-6 over the 4 cylinder didn't feel too different, and she use to drive a 350z. Therefore I'm getting her an Altima S. I was hoping the Maxima would be a bigger leap over the Altima but it isn't. The new shape and interior are nice, but for very little difference in power and performance we've decided to save 10K+ and roll the 4 cylinder. I sure wanted the Maxima but the smart choice for us would be the Altima at this time.

Gas prices are a beast and I need more mile for my bucks!

First mods to the Altima, Eibach springs, tower strut bar... 19' or 20 in rims... and dark tint... Dark Slate on the exterior/Charcoal interior...
Old 05-18-2008, 09:47 PM

Kobra - The leap in power of the new Maxima over the Altima is very significant. Don't be misled by 'only' a 35 HP increase (which to me seems very significant); Look at Car and Driver's test, which shows a brand new (not even fully broken in yet) Maxima doing a 5.8 zero to sixty. Even though the Altima is a lighter (and less-equipped vehicle), a stock Altima can't do zero to sixty in 5.8 seconds. That is a sparkling performance for a 'family sedan'.

But then that fine performance (and its extra cost) can't be justified if the car is going to be driven like a family sedan. The Altima is an excellent vehicle, costs less, and will serve most folks quite well. I know if my wife was buying herself a vehicle, she would look at everything, then opt for the Altima.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 AM

I hear ya lightonthehill. My wife still knows I'm going to check them out in June but my cheap a$$ will not be paying $35K for one. I'll buy a Vette before I do that.

And not to argue but 20 hp and 3lbs of torque are not very significant between these two cars.... Fractions of seconds do not equate to $10K+ extra of my dollars. I wouldn't take the Maxima to the track to run a quarter mile or a circuit track so getting from point A to B in 5.8 seconds as opposed to 7 seconds is not worthy of the price increase, unless you have a sponsor. Hell I'm only going to the store/work/and to the mall in the *****..

I wish I hadn't wasted your time (lightonthehill) I was just doing my homework by visiting this site and others before making a decision and I've done my damage assessment and the Maxima just won't be coming home with the kid.

Actually I'm a little upset, I could have used this time to drive a G35 after all this time.... *stepping off now...mumbling under my breath...sons of bichss*
Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Very sound, Mike

And not to argue but 20 hp and 3lbs of torque are not very significant between these two cars....
As the Famous SteVTEC once said, it's all about the area under the curve. The power bump may only be that much at peak, but it could be over a wider rpm range. Then again, we haven't seen the dynos

Light, i believe the 6spd Alti can do 5.9.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 AM

And not to argue but 20 hp and 3lbs of torque are not very significant between these two cars....

Actually, the difference from the 2.5S to the Max is 115 HP and 81 ft-lbs.

This is very significant!!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:38 PM

Kobra - You haven't wasted anyone's time. Most drivers like to compare vehicles, and a person is wise to look around and think about things and discuss them with others before making a decision when the difference between options could exceed $10K.

If I were a fairly young family man, I don't think I could justify the Maxima over the Altima. But being a gnarly old curmudgeon on his way out, I choose to splurge and go in a blaze of glory, and that means going in a new Maxima.

Soundmike - I dodn't know the Altima 3.5 manual could do 5.9. That is impressive.

In the meantime, in less than two weeks, we should be getting some meaningful reports here from the 'lucky seven' that made the paid trip to Nashville/Smyrna to test-drive the new Maxima. I eagerly await their opinions.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Hmmm...

I'll stick with my 3rd gen.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love that IPOD interface!
Have one in my Dodge Ram and its the best audio investment I ever made.
No more CD's bouncing around under the seats!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM

290 hmmmmmmmm nice
Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM

5.8 is about right .. 6.1 is being conservative or you're doing something wrong... the car can do 5.52 on 1/4 tank, good road, good launch and temperature in the 70s... I don't know why everyone has trouble spinning the wheels (if they want) my car will lightem up real easy with the VDC off .. too much in fact .. i launch @ 1000 rpm .. some people say my WOT gov. is deactived dunno .. but i pulled a 14.35 @ 99.7 best at Bradenton.. D Mode works the best .. car has a faster 5 - 60 time than the g37 .. 6.0 vs. 6.3 .. no shifting
Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM

i like the ride