5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GSP Passenger Axles SUCK! - 6MT - Pictures.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 PM

GSP Passenger Axles SUCK! - 6MT - Pictures.

Yes, I was also one of the suckers who bought GSP axles. Paid $120 both both L and R axles. Anyhow, always had the infamous shakes after installing.

Finally, after 14k miles, I got fed up with it and purchased a OP Passenger Axle made by DSS out of China from Federated Auto Parts for $125.

I speculated what my axle problem was. Two issues:
1. There was no OEM vibration dampener on the GSP unit
2. I had this strong suspicion that GSP was boxing passenger AT axles as MT

Since I had no OEM axle to compare, I had to wait until the OP axle came to see. Let's just say, I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

D@MN GSP AXLES!!!!!!!! Anyhow, the shakes are completely gone, the OP axle fit perfectly. So far no issues.

Inner axle:

Dampener:

Outer axle: (C WHAT I C?)

AT axle length compressed is 38 3/16"
MT axle length compressed is 39 3/16"

Hmm...

EDIT: For those who didn't catch it in the title, look at the pictures, read the thread, or see my car description under my avatar, this is a manual 6 speed. Just say'n...

Last edited by nismopc; 02-23-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM
You embarrass me.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread as I was looking at GSP axles 5 minutes ago.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Bad *** Newb

I accidentally replaced a pass side axle (wheel bearing was gone but never made noise, sounded like an axle - hella stupid ****) and got a master pro at oreilly's for 70 bucks. I guess you can get 15 bucks back on core, but I cut the axle out LOL

It's been in a couple weeks and has been perfect. We'll see how long it lasts. Visually, they look good.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-22-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
6spd Swapped

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread as I was looking at GSP axles 5 minutes ago.
+1 I was going to try these axles next, now I won't. Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Guys, glad I could contribute.

Just so you know, the GSP part # is NCV3586 or NCV53586 depending on where you were looking. Highly advise you to stay away from that axle.

Drivers side seems to be fine.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM

I've had the same experience. Garbage axles.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Interesting. I wonder if the shorter axles would last longer on these "slammed", "stance", etc vehicles that are the current fad.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Interesting. I wonder if the shorter axles would last longer on these "slammed", "stance", etc vehicles that are the current fad.
Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it would scrape the merrel bent twin tubing when going over speed humps.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 PM

naw i was going through em in weeks in my auto..... any good links to sticky for MT axles... i have a feeling ill be going through em

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 02-22-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by nismopc
Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it would scrape the merrel bent twin tubing when going over speed humps.

Being slammed isn't about being practical, it's about making your car look good for everybody else outside it at the expense of comfort, reliability, and practicality. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice to get respect, knowimsayin?

Auto axles being shorter could help though... for the manual guys, at least.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Being slammed isn't about being practical, it's about making your car look good for everybody else outside it at the expense of comfort, reliability, and practicality. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice to get respect, knowimsayin?
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well it also makes the owner loves his car daily as you can tell by my old sig ... riding slammed is a lifestyle for me
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM
You embarrass me.

On to the next step, where to get these "OP made by DSS" axles...?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

On to the next step, where to get these "OP made by DSS" axles...?
+2
Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
You embarrass me.

Apparently, FCPImport sells them as long as this is the same one nismopc bought:
http://fcpimport.com/products/nissan...t-maxima-8006n
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM

Apparently, FCPImport sells them as long as this is the same one nismopc bought:
http://fcpimport.com/products/nissan...t-maxima-8006n
That's them. I purchased locally, but Yup that's it...
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM

I can also attest that GSP are garbage. Mine vibrates terribly...

It's still under the one-year warranty, so I've been thinking about getting my OEM remanned and returning it, since there's a local shop that remans CV axles for stupid cheap.

I may pick up one of these as a back-up, though. I've noticed that the passenger's side likes to blow out a lot more than the driver's.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM

i wish i had this link when i was buying an axle for the swap
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 AM

THANK YOU so much! I was going to purchase the GSP from Advance Auto because the price was so tempting.

I need to get under the car again but I don't remember the damper on my 5-speed 2000 Maxima. My axles are all original.

Hold on a second, your FCP Import link also does not show the damper???

- Vikas

Last edited by sontakke; 02-23-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 AM

are the GSP axles the remanufactured/rebuilt ones from Advance? i have one in my passenger side...and i didnt get a vibration until i lowered my car on coilovers...

also where did you pick up the DSS axle locally? i know its said that FCP has these axles, but wondering if there is a place locally i can get one from? my initial plan was to get a brand new axle from Napa
Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by sontakke
Hold on a second, your FCP Import link also does not show the damper???

- Vikas
Most online pictures are not actual item being sold but a generic picture. That is NOT a picture of a 5.5 MT Axle.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 AM

another question...are both axles, driver and passenger, supposed to have this damper on it?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
are the GSP axles the remanufactured/rebuilt ones from Advance?
The GSP unit I have is/was a brand new unit. I don't think GSP sells reman'd.

also where did you pick up the DSS axle locally?
I tried my local NAPA and they could not find me one across their network and didn't even have a distributor to provide one for me.

I purchased through my local Federated Auto Parts. They found axle from distributor in PA. and had it to me overnight.

http://www.federatedautoparts.com/
Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Interesting. I wonder if the shorter axles would last longer
Nope.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM

another question...are both axles, driver and passenger, supposed to have this damper on it?
Yes...

DRIVER:

PASSENGER:

...but my driver side GSP unit does not either. I do not experience any shaking though after replacing the passenger side.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 AM

i dont have one of those in my area. ill have to check all my parts stores and see what i can find axle wise then thanks alot.

Yes...

thanks alot i appreciate that little piece of info, ill look next time i do my axles and make sure they have it on there
Old 02-23-2011, 10:20 AM

I had vibrations before I installed my GSP passenger axle so I didn't notice any difference afterwards. A while after the GSP axle I had an alignment done, car tracked better but still had vibration. Rotated and balanced my tires with no change. Changed front wheel bearings (they were getting loud) no change. Everything else on my steering and suspension was tight so I had no idea what was causing the vibration. Eventually I Replaced my Toyo Proxes 4 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ and vibrations are completely gone (I did not suspect the tires at all). Anyways about the axles... I only have a mild (H&R) drop so maybe the vibrations from GSP is only a problem with significantly dropped vehicles??? I knew it wouldn't be as good of quality as OEM but it beats paying $600 from the dealer. If I ever need to replace again maybe I will try the "OP" if they turn out to be good reliable axles for you guys. (They have them for the 6MT passenger side right?)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

hmm thx,, i just need new boots on my axles, maybe ill just replace them instead of getting new axles.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by rosader
(They have them for the 6MT passenger side right?)
Did you not read the title and/or look at the pictures?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM

The funny thing is I have YOU to thank for recommending to me the very axles you are now *****ing about haha.http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...le-my-car.html
Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM

For those who didn't catch it in the title, look at the pictures, read the thread, or see my car description under my avatar, this is a manual 6 speed. Just say'n...
And for those of you reading this thread lets make sure he actually installed these "OP's" on his car and tested them out before he recommended them to make sure they are decent axles haha thats why I was saying "are you sure they are for a 6mt" because you are saying the GSP's might be auto axles in a different box and you failed to mention that when you recommended them to me in my thread... just say'n.
My thread/your recommendation was in September 2010 and you claim you have had the vibrating axles installed for 14k miles???

Last edited by rosader; 02-23-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

The funny thing is I have YOU to thank for recommending to me the very axles you are now *****ing about haha.http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...le-my-car.html
Doh!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM

And for those of you reading this thread lets make sure he actually installed these "OP's" on his car and tested them out before he recommended them to make sure they are decent axles haha thats why I was saying "are you sure they are for a 6mt" because you are saying the GSP's might be auto axles in a different box and you failed to mention that when you recommended them to me in my thread... just say'n.
My thread/your recommendation was in September 2010 and you claim you have had the vibrating axles installed for 14k miles???

Well, we learn from our mistakes now don't we?

If proof of the old GSP vs. new OP axle comparison pictures was not enough, here are the install pics I took with my phone while I was installing.

Removed from box:

Old axle coming out:

New axle going in:

I only found out about the similiarities between AT and MT axles this past Monday when I was researching, driving from NAPA to Auto Zone to Advance Auto. Not back in Sept of 2010. As for the shake, I seriously contributed it to ball joint and/or lowering springs on the brand new axles. The passenger axle fits just like it should. I saw no reason to believe it was the axle until I ended up replacing all the other stuff and realized it had to be the axle.

I installed the GSP units at 146,700 miles. My car now has 159,700. Sorry, I guess I was off by 1k miles. Oops...

Back to axles:

On Monday, I ordered a reman'd unit from Advance Auto for $59.99 + core and when I got home I looked up the company and found they do not even make manual axles for the car. So I immediately went back to them and explained the issue and cancelled the order. That was when I noticed while searching online and calling Federatred that NAPA online info showed the actual length of the axles. There is exactly 1" difference between the two.

This OP Axle is a MANUAL axle for a 5.5 Gen Nissan Maxima with a 6 speed MANUAL...

Last edited by nismopc; 02-23-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:28 PM

The point is you recommended GSP knowing they had bad vibration (in your case) you did notice the vibration right away right? I don't know how you wouldnt especially when you drive as many miles as you do. No disrespect sir I actually have had zero problems with this axle but do everyone a favor and don't recommend products to others that you are not satisfied with yourself. Maybe try to be sure the OP's are good before you comment on the quality.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM

The point is you recommended GSP knowing they had bad vibration (in your case) you did notice the vibration right away right? I don't know how you wouldnt especially when you drive as many miles as you do. No disrespect sir I actually have had zero problems with this axle but do everyone a favor and don't recommend products to others that you are not satisfied with yourself. Maybe try to be sure the OP's are good before you comment on the quality.
Curious. Do you have a manual or auto?

Back to recommendations. You seriously think I'm the first person to recommend a product on the internet on a open public forum with good intentions, then find out the product is a POS?

This is the whole reason why I made a new thread to correct my thoughts. Yea, I assume it would have been proper forum etiquette to point back to my previous posts on the GSP, but I didn't know I was going to be critiqued like this.

Also, please note. I have not and will not recommend the OP Axles to anyone. Take the information I provided as you will and make your own decision based on your own research.

My whole goal was to NOT spend $500 for a OEM axle. If this axle works out for me, I did it. I am currently only out approx. $250 and that was due to a mistake on my part for buying the GSP units under the impression that because they were listed as NEW and my buddy who is a master mechanic (not that it matters now) recommended them from past experience, I felt confident in my decision.

As I stated, we learn from our mistakes and I consider myself quite confident in all my posts at the time I am posting them. I will and do acknowledge when I make mistakes. No shame here. If I am proven wrong either by another person or even by myself, lessen learned.

Last edited by nismopc; 02-23-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Yeah, sorry to get on your case about it, it just threw me off when I saw this thread. You do seem to contribute good info on the forums so my apologies.
Edit: I have a 6MT maybe one of these days I will compare the GSP to my damaged OEM (that I still have laying in the garage) and see if there is a difference in length between the two.

Last edited by rosader; 02-23-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:33 AM

i have a GSP on my passenger, new from advance as well (found out yesterday) i thought it was remanufactured but it wasnt. so advance is going to order another one they have on their list and see if it comes w/ a damper. but napa here offers DSS, in stock for the DRIVER SIDE for $70. so i'm hoping everything turns out well real soon

SN: 2000 Nissan Maxima 5 speed, here
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 AM

...but napa here offers DSS, in stock for the DRIVER SIDE for $70. so i'm hoping everything turns out well real soon.
FYI: DSS of China is the mfg of OP Axles.

...and purchased a OP Passenger Axle made by DSS out of China from Federated Auto Parts for $125.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 AM

i figure there can only be one manufacturer in axles named DSS. either way i'm going to make sure they have a dampener made onto the axle before i take it out of the store.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
I accidentally replaced a pass side axle (wheel bearing was gone but never made noise, sounded like an axle - hella stupid ****) and got a master pro at oreilly's for 70 bucks. I guess you can get 15 bucks back on core, but I cut the axle out LOL

It's been in a couple weeks and has been perfect. We'll see how long it lasts. Visually, they look good.

I would bring it back cut. A broken axle is a broken axle. If it broke on the road like that its still a core. If ur axle wasnt broken there wouldnt be a need for a new one and no need to offer a core.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by NismoAce
I would bring it back cut. A broken axle is a broken axle. If it broke on the road like that its still a core. If ur axle wasnt broken there wouldnt be a need for a new one and no need to offer a core.
Sounds like a fair shake, but the principle of a 'core' doesn't work like that. The purpose of a core is to be able to rebuild it. If the shaft is cut, they can't rebuild a full axle. And if everyone turned in a cut shaft, there would be nothing to rebuild. This, in turn, would mean there would be no re-manufactured cv axles on the market. Leaving the consumer with the only option of a lofty bill for a new shaft.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GSP Passenger Axles SUCK! - 6MT - Pictures.