4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Reset ABS light

Old 05-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Reset ABS light

How do you reset the ABS light on the dashboard? I've searched threads on this site and only found how to do the SRS light and the check engine light, but how do you reset the abs light? Any help is much appreciated, I just replaced my pads and rotors and now want this anoying light to turn off,or to know if there is another problem with my abs system so I can fix it

Jeff.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Problems with the brake pads and rotors should not turn on the abs light. If you drive it for a little bit and there is no problem with your abs, the light will turn off automatically. Maybe there's a way to pull the code like the check engine light. Don't know off the top of my head but a repair manual should help.

Originally Posted by jtowarn
How do you reset the ABS light on the dashboard? I've searched threads on this site and only found how to do the SRS light and the check engine light, but how do you reset the abs light? Any help is much appreciated, I just replaced my pads and rotors and now want this anoying light to turn off,or to know if there is another problem with my abs system so I can fix it

Jeff.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:39 PM

i just had my front and rear brakes done at the dealership ($600)because they were squealing. almost immediatly after the repair, my ABS light went on, which had never happened before. i assumed this happened bc something went wrong with the repair, so i brought it back to a different dealership. they said the ABS light is completly unrelated to brakepads, rotors, etc. now this dealership wants 400 more to replace a wheel speed sensor for the abs system.

so id guess the light is not going off bc you still have a problem with the ABS, even though you repaired other parts of your brakes.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:59 PM
What's next!?..

The light is probably on because there is something wrong with one of the ABS sensors near the hub. The sensors are pretty fragile and not really surprising that one goes bad after several years.

They cost about $110-140 at a dealer for the part.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does anyone have a picture of the sensor near the hub?

JP
Old 05-21-2004, 05:51 AM
What's next!?..

That's the 6th pic down on the motorvate.ca page below.

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/704
Old 05-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is strange because the abs sensor light went on before I started taking stuff apart. As I started to take stuff apart and was banging at my disc to get it off.... Not even thinking about this abs stuff though I went and was taking sledge hammers to get my calipers off, then my rotor and that was a no no.. I might of damaged something... that really sucks, I find I like abs (at first I hated it) but grew to like it. I just wonder why this light would of come on before I touched anything there... Maybe it was because of excesive heat??? My pads were worn right down, and my rotor was scared beyond repair. There was a lot of heat coming from even the wheel, that is when I realized I need to open it up and god there were no pads left!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took my ABS fuse off just to check the brakes without ABS as my brakes felt somewhat soft. The braking seems just as before though the ABS light will not go off now even after replacing the fuse back. I have driven it over 80 miles since. I tried to reset by taking the battery terminals off for about 40 minutes, but the ABS light is still on......please help!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Would the sensors get destroyed by oil or other fluids getting on them? my abs light went on - and my steering boot was leaking oil, also some sort of clear tranny fluid (5mt) possibly got on it.. could that cause it to 'short out' or malfunction?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Technical service bulletin

There is a TSB about shops performing on car machining of rotors with a lathe, what happens is the metal fragments get picked up by the magnet sensors for the ABS and then need to be cleaned. If the brakes were bad enough to cause metal on metal grinding (squealing) then some metal may have gotten onto the wheel speed sensor. (The sensors can be difficult to remove after years of heat & rust, if you break them upon removal you will be buying a new one $100+ each wheel)