6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Replacing motor mounts and have some questions

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Replacing motor mounts and have some questions

Hey guys. I'm replacing all 4 motor mounts on my ride. The front mount, front right mount, rear mount, and transmission mount. Here are the dealership prices my tech gave me.

Right side Mount part #112108J100 price 116.90
Front 112708J10A 157.27
Rear 113208Y00A 228.05
Trans. Mount 112208Y000 90.67

I ordered some motor mounts I saw on ebay and noticed some had sensors while others didn't. Of course I went with the ones that didn't have a sensor as they was cheaper. My tech tells me after I placed the orders that if my car DOES have the sensor, I have to also get a mount with the sensor included as it's not transferable. My question is how does one find out? I checked the courtesy parts website but the front right motor mount seems to have a sensor in all the models. I notice only the manual maxima doesn't have a sensor in the rear motor mount.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2670_2675.html

Last edited by athlon omega; 06-07-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 PM

My word. My grammar was horrible in the first post, and I ended up editing it. Lack of a good night's sleep due being overworked in the hospital will do it to you. I got it straightened out. I had ordered the front motor mount and rear motor mount without the sensors but the rear one in the part number my tech gave me after calling up the dealership with my VIN shows a picture of the rear engine mount with the sensor on the courtesynissan parts website. The front motor mount didn't have a pic but I told the guy to swap it out with one that has a sensor just in case.

Last edited by athlon omega; 06-07-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Hey have u completed intalling the motor mounts ? so how did that go..the front one seems to have sensor and rear one Not in Auto..where did u install what ?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM

I just ordered Racingline's moter mount insert sport kit. If you're into performance I would recommend it over factory mounts.

Let us know how the install goes/went!!! Pics?

JB
Old 10-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I know my front/rear motor mounts had a sensor (2004 5spd AT). Tranny mount does not nor does the left side engine mount. Any mount that has a sensor needs to be replaced with sensor mounts. I would also purchase the motor mount inserts from racingline and do it at the same time (only for front and rear). Once installed it would be an absolute biatch to put in, especially the rear one.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:53 AM

the idea of MMI is good but I doubt whether u wud feel any difference. With the sensor off, the front -rear should be stiffer in all operations - making them more stiffer may reduce the engine movement a bit..but thats technically..how practically u wud feel the difference is the matter of concern. I would not want any kind of vibrtions in the steering due to extra stiffness..which i think may impose extra force on the other mounts too ( if they are not MMIed)..I will leave it with Nissan Engineers sensors do decide when to go softer and harder..but do let me know if you feel the MMI is realy worth..I wud defimately give it a try if its worth..I am just too much pratical about things..sorry..
Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ifti_sit
the idea of MMI is good but I doubt whether u wud feel any difference. With the sensor off, the front -rear should be stiffer in all operations - making them more stiffer may reduce the engine movement a bit..but thats technically..how practically u wud feel the difference is the matter of concern. I would not want any kind of vibrtions in the steering due to extra stiffness..which i think may impose extra force on the other mounts too ( if they are not MMIed)..I will leave it with Nissan Engineers sensors do decide when to go softer and harder..but do let me know if you feel the MMI is realy worth..I wud defimately give it a try if its worth..I am just too much pratical about things..sorry..

To each his own, stiffer means more power to the wheel faster, less twisting of the motor mounts make them last longer, zero vibration transfer to the steering wheel with the 3+ years I've had mine! My Maxima is Turbo and I'm still using my ORIGINAL motor mounts and I've had my 6th gen for 7 years! But again, your ride, your call. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM

i replaced my front motor mount with that cheap one crom ebay too.if u just worried about the sensor then dont.Because the cheap one HAS a place for sensor so all u have to do is unscrew 2 screws that hold the oem sensor and screw it on the new mount.as far as performance,idk what eg
bayer u bought it from but its not as strong as it needs to be...or as strong as the oem is when new.Meaning ur handling will kinda suck when u hit smooth or sharp curves and pot holes.So what i ended up doing is rebuild my old motor mount.I used the Devcon Flexane polyurethane.I took off all the old rubber from the motor mount,taped good one side of it abd filled it up with that flexane liquid.Waited a few days till it dried good and reinstalled it in my max.
Downgrades:steering wheel shaking a lil when ac is on.
Uphrades:Car handles dramatically better when driving.I feel more secure behind the wheel,Im hitting curves way much faster and car doesnt move that much like with the bad oem or cheap ebay mount,and i think i have a little more hp in my wheels
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 AM

I know this thread is a bit older but I was just informed by the dealer at oil change time that my front and rear mounts are leaking and could short some of the cars electronics (I looked, they do seem to be..) It's a 2005 SE 3.5L. Why is there oil in a mount with an electronic sensor? They said the right and tranny mounts were OK. Anyway, I'm getting new ones off ebay (onlinewholesaleparts) with sensors. Is there any good instructions for replacing them? I printed the instructions for the MMI's off racingline's website that shows removal but it's for the 4cyl. Is everything basically the same? It says with the 3.5L to remove the Y-pipe, do I need any other parts? (gaskets, exhaust donuts, etc..) Thanks a ton!!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM

should of gotten the mounts from courtesy nissan... cheaper.. thats what I did.. whats with the raceline inserts? are the better?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by warlok
I know this thread is a bit older but I was just informed by the dealer at oil change time that my front and rear mounts are leaking and could short some of the cars electronics (I looked, they do seem to be..) It's a 2005 SE 3.5L. Why is there oil in a mount with an electronic sensor? They said the right and tranny mounts were OK. Anyway, I'm getting new ones off ebay (onlinewholesaleparts) with sensors. Is there any good instructions for replacing them? I printed the instructions for the MMI's off racingline's website that shows removal but it's for the 4cyl. Is everything basically the same? It says with the 3.5L to remove the Y-pipe, do I need any other parts? (gaskets, exhaust donuts, etc..) Thanks a ton!!
I have the FSM - let me know if you need them in order to do it yourself. You will save lot of money.
I hear Racingline inserts actually works for many and make engine more stiffer and also the life of your mounts increased. No experience - just what I read in forums.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris350
should of gotten the mounts from courtesy nissan... cheaper.. thats what I did.. whats with the raceline inserts? are the better?
I'm getting both front and rear with sensors for $156.50 shipped. That's 1/2 of the courtesy nissan price.. I'm just looking for direct replacement, not anything special, so I'm not doing the inserts, staying as it was from Nissan. That was just the only instructions I found.

ifti-sit - Thanks man. I looked around and found the FSM. Looks like I might need 2 ring seals and 1 flange gasket for the Y-pipe. I'll get them just in case..
Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 PM

I'm getting both front and rear with sensors for $156.50 shipped. That's 1/2 of the courtesy nissan price.. I'm just looking for direct replacement, not anything special, so I'm not doing the inserts, staying as it was from Nissan. That was just the only instructions I found.

ifti-sit - Thanks man. I looked around and found the FSM. Looks like I might need 2 ring seals and 1 flange gasket for the Y-pipe. I'll get them just in case..
Yes, they are not absolutely necessary to replace but like everyone I even think its better to replace. its like replacing gasket whenever you clean your throttle body.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Only $10 for all 3 from autozone so I'll replace them. I'm saving a copy of the FSM now. Holy crap that's a lot of files..
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I'm in the middle of changing the front and rear mounts in my '05. I'm completely stuck with the rear mount. I got the front done which wasn't fun but now I can't get the rear out. I got all 3 bolts loose, pulled the 3 bolts from the heat shield and bracket that were attached to the mount, and pulled the sensor wire loose. I got the top and bottom rear bolts out. The bottom front bolt head is facing the driver side which points directly at the edge of the transmission case. So the bolt can't come out. Obviously I need to get it out to pull the mount. I pulled the tranny mount and lifted the engine as far as it could go without crushing things in the engine bay. Can't go far enough. Anyone have any ideas? I'm really stuck and need help. I'll try to post a pic.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Before I lifted the engine.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM

again before.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 PM

With the engine lifted as far as I could lift it.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM

another angle.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM

OK. Any ideas? I really need to get this fixed...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 AM

cant help much..check this link - if it helps
http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...MI_Install.pdf
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 AM

With the insert now in the mount, space will be limited. It will help if only the center bolt is replaced on each mount until both mounts have been completed
Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Why replace complete mounts and not just the inserts? are there other parts that wear down on the mounts???
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM

I started a new thread as this one was ressurected and old. Please take a look and give any thoughts..
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ml#post7945319
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM

WoW Completely forgot about this thread. Sorry guys. The install went pretty well. I had Mech Tech in Baton Rouge do the install for me. I wasn't able to use the front Racingline insert since it couldn't fit for some reason, but the rear one did. I guess it was due to the fact that they were OEM style and not OEM. I didn't take pics of the install unfortunately; it took them like 1.5 days to get everything done; they charged me about $450 or so labor. It turns out that all automatics require the sensors. The manual doesn't seem to require it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 AM

i have a 2006 se 6sp. does anyone know if its neccessary to replace the whole mount or will replacing the bushing with mmi's work? i was told i have sensors on the mount but found in a few different places that its mainly the auto's that have them. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 AM

oh man...i gotta do this for me car soon....
Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anybody aware of issues with the 2007 SE (or later models) as far as motor mounts breaking? My wife's '07 SE has 55,000 miles and was purchased new from the dealer in April 07. It's never been in a wreck, never abused in any way. The dealer say the two front motor mounts are completely broken, and the rear mount is partially broken. Furthermore, the mounts aren't considered part of the powertrain and aren't covered under warranty.

The dealer wants $1200 to replace all three. We're going to pay it I guess, but I've called Nissan USA and gotten a ticket opened with my complaint about the fact this is just considered normal wear-and-tear. I've owned a lot of cars (being, cough, of advanced age) and I've never had a single motor mount break on any car due to day-to-day driving, much less three of them on the same car. The mechanic says he sees this on some Muranos and Maximas, and that the current motor mounts are reinforced to cut down on this.

The dealer just seems to think this is normal for Nissans nowadays, which is disappointing to me. I've owned 5 Nissans and my wife has owned 2, and they've always been very reliable. At this point I'm not happy with Nissan's quality, and not happy with the dealers "oh well, that's just the way cars are" attitude. To me having all the motor mounts just start snapping on their own is a pretty big deal, definitely not something I'd consider normal wear and tear on a 4 year old car.

Last edited by steve f; 05-20-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 AM

I don't have enough time to read all threads cuz m at work..but in case u still didn't replace them then dont worry about them sensors.I replaced mine 4 as well and got the ones without a sensor.Sensors have 2 screws on em(front and back one only)..unscrew them from ur old ones and put em on ur new ones..yes they come off
Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 AM

ya 1 broke on my 04 at 4 yo. Maybe if you catch it fast enough it doesnt have time to ruin other mounts, cause only the front was bad for me.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM

so i dont have to buy the full mount i just need to buy inserts and my motor will be fine again? my motor mounts are completely gone
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ArmaanOG
so i dont have to buy the full mount i just need to buy inserts and my motor will be fine again? my motor mounts are completely gone
No motor mount inserts fill the gaps in the OEM mounts to make the stiffer (like a sold piece), if your OEM mounts are shot, you need new ones first and I would still do the inserts since it will be easier to install with the OEM ones off.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Metal mount = metal, insert = polymer of some sort. It would take a lot to mess up a mount, odds are you need some new insert, OEM or otherwise.

Originally Posted by ArmaanOG
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM

awesome thanks guys!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think I have a bad motor mount. When I put the car in drive and hold the brake while giving it some gas, the motor tilts towards the back of the car a lot. When I put it in reverse, the motor tilts towards the front of the car, but nowhere near as much as the other way. Based on that, does that sound like the front mount is broken?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mrstone
I think I have a bad motor mount. When I put the car in drive and hold the brake while giving it some gas, the motor tilts towards the back of the car a lot. When I put it in reverse, the motor tilts towards the front of the car, but nowhere near as much as the other way. Based on that, does that sound like the front mount is broken?
It's supposed to move back and forth but not a lot. It might be time for new mounts.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM

how much is it supposed to move ?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 AM

my mounts were just replaced under warranty I bought my Maxima in January, the transmission was just re done prior I think that might have had something to do with it.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kryogen
how much is it supposed to move ?
Not a lot - a few inches maybe.

Is there a visual inspection that can be done to the mounts to see if they need replaced? Also, could someone give me an idea of where all 4 are located? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM

With the engine lifted as far as I could lift it.

yeah man, cut the bolt off, and buy a new one, put it in the other way. solved

if you don't wanna look for another bolt you can try to use your jack and push the engine up with it. or use the stock jack and place it in between the engine and the mount push them apart to get that little extra wiggle room.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-13-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing motor mounts and have some questions