Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Oil choice/help with turbo thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Oil choice/help with turbo thread

Hey guys, im planning on turboing my new car, I've been searching for about a month or 2 here and there, going to be running a bottom mount t3/t4 rebuilt turbo, I will have with 3 inch exhaust all the way out using a BOV, im not recirculating unless it gets annoying, heat wrapping, an electronic boost controller, using a log type manifold and SS oil send and return without a limiter as of yet, my tuner is most likly going to be a greddy blue with an AEM wideband(unless you guys have any cheaper ideas that could work well) and a godspeed FMIC. injectors later if i need them. ill be running 8-10psi of boost untill i get more familiar with how to make a safe setup.

Do you guys see anything I missed?

Im at 300 right now with my self rebuilt turbo and log manifold(killer deals), my object is to a have a working setup for 1500$, so far my dream is coming to life. But i lack anyone I can really ask questions to, the car in question is an Audi 90 quattro,2.3 5 cylinder(lolwut?) and a 5mt. Id be crawling all over the audi forums, but you can post a question there and not see a single person on the forums for days, makes me miss the supportiveness of this forum.

But the main question I was wondering what oil change intervals do you have and did you guys change your oil weight after going boost?

Search about "oil" turned up alot of burned turbo threads haha

Another question is that the car, being a 5cly is notoriously hard to find information about, since its the only one of its kind, I chose the t3/t4 because most sites i read about them prefer them for the v6 setups, but the next step down in turbos ive been told will spool way to fast. what do you guys think would be the best ideal turbo size to use for my engine size

Hopefully the mods will let this stay here since this is almost strictly turbo talk, not to much about "other cars"

Im also using this grind for my cams
VW/Audi Hyd. Turbo Camshaft 268°/260° (225°/222° @ 0.050") 112.5" Lobe center, .432" Lift.

Im not sure what they mean but you guys can just say if its good or bad and ill do some more searching later.

But in fact the only reason i came back here to ask you guys is that i pretty much trust this forums turbo members more than any others, for some reason maxima owners only have quality, complex, knowledgeable, setups compared to most other sites.

Last edited by HandsonMaxima.; 08-21-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Kevlo for President

Might wanna post on bobistheoilguy.

Some people switch to Rotella, I personally just use Amsoil SSO
Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 AM
KH3 by popular demand

If you go on squirellperformance.com they have a turbo calculator that may be helpful giving you an estimate of possible spool up times with the factors you input. You can also search for injector calculators to see what your possible fuel requirements too. As far as oil I personally use Rotella 10-30 full synthetic and usually go 3k because I don't hammer on the car as it is my dd. I think if you tracked the car or boost alot your intervals would have to be more frequent imo.

There are some threads in the all motor section on cams or in the forced induction section of my350z.com. In the all motor section it discusses good n/a cams but you will learn which ones are good for turbos as far as specs.

Last edited by maxgtr2000; 08-21-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 AM

Any reason you wouldn't just use a stock Audi 5 cylinder turbo set up?

http://www.audifans.com/

Still plety of my posts on the old quattro list forum!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Any reason you wouldn't just use a stock Audi 5 cylinder turbo set up?

http://www.audifans.com/

Still plety of my posts on the old quattro list forum!
because that would involve finding a crapton old old OEM audi turbo parts, sounds like a cheap way to turbo.

But wow! thanks for all the great links. Funny story, after i wrote that post, my guy called me and canceled the deal, poor guy got downsized as he left work.

In other news i did buy a 1998 VR6 jetta MT5. so thats gonna get the same turbo treatment! the only difference is that its 10 years younger and an I6 so i still dont have to worry about doing 2 crazy header pipes.

Ive been using amsoil ever since i spoke to Talkinghorse i think his name was. but ill look at the SSO

And Maxgtr those links sound like they are priceless to have saved in my bookmarks, ill go through them tomarrow, thanks alot!

the good news is, this is the most mainstream car ive ever owned so the aftermarket for these things are insane compared to the old maxima, although i did test drive a couple 2002's while i was looking, but they were nothing special, to much love for the 4th gens.

thanks guys, ill probably pop back in here when i have a question, this really was the right place to go!