7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Service Engine Soon Light

Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 AM

Service Engine Soon Light

My Service Engine Soon light went on Sunday. I checked my gas cap and it was loose. I filled up the car (it was down to about 1/4 tank) and tightened the cap. According to the manual it should turn off "after a few trips" but its Tuesday and I've driven 4 or 5 times since then.

How long should this take to reset itself assuming its only related to a loose cap?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

When I had the same thing happen to me, it only took a single trip of about 10 miles at highway speed to reset the light.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by boone
When I had the same thing happen to me, it only took a single trip of about 10 miles at highway speed to reset the light.
I probably haven't gone "highway speed" yet...wonder if that's it.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 AM

My light went on after the first gas fill up too. It also went out one trip after tightening the cap better. Until it did I was unnecessarily worried about some other, more serious problem it may have been warning about.

It has never done this again (I'm at 3,500 miles now). After every fill up I now tighten the cap until it clicks, then twist two more turns (with lots of clicks).

Never had another car that needed such a tight gas cap. Originally worried that the cap was defective, but since it hasn't happened again it may just be the design.

It did convince me to buy one of those devices to read error codes and reset the warning lights. Haven't needed it yet, but at least it will be available the next time some warning light comes on. Can't understand why a car with a beautiful color nav screen couldn't be set up to display text on exactly what each warning is about.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

Find out what codes it's 'throwing'. If it's an EVAP code, it is your gas cap, anything else and it is not.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Find out what codes it's 'throwing'. If it's an EVAP code, it is your gas cap, anything else and it is not.
Sorry...how do I do that???

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by EmeryH

It did convince me to buy one of those devices to read error codes and reset the warning lights.
Can you link me to such a device? Sounds useful to have to avoid taking the car in... thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by DCLawyer68
Can you link me to such a device? Sounds useful to have to avoid taking the car in... thanks!
This is the one I got...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

There are better ones and cheaper ones available.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 AM

you can go to the dealer to have them read the code. its under warranty still so it should be free. Also Autozone or similiar stores read codes for free, and they clear them too!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by DCLawyer68
My Service Engine Soon light went on Sunday. I checked my gas cap and it was loose. I filled up the car (it was down to about 1/4 tank) and tightened the cap. According to the manual it should turn off "after a few trips" but its Tuesday and I've driven 4 or 5 times since then.

How long should this take to reset itself assuming its only related to a loose cap?
I have already had the Evap sensor replaced and the gas cap. Its not the best gas cap on this car.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

Has anyone tried a Cipher to read codes on their cars?

http://uprev.com/
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Nissan help line confirms there's a problem with the gas cap.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Service Engine Soon

I have 17,500 miles and just had the light come on. I removed and re tightened the gas cap and replaced an air filter that needed to be replaced. I just drove the car twice a very short distance. Light is still on???

Last edited by mrgooch42; 03-08-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:44 PM

When I was driving back from a trip last weekend, the indicator literally said that the gas cap was loose. Pulled over and tightened the cap and the warning went off. I didn't have to reset anything.

I'm gonna say that you are throwing another code and you should probably take it in.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by MooShoo
When I was driving back from a trip last weekend, the indicator literally said that the gas cap was loose. Pulled over and tightened the cap and the warning went off. I didn't have to reset anything.

I'm gonna say that you are throwing another code and you should probably take it in.
Yet another subtle change that Nissan has made to improve the Maxima. I guess they got tired of people wasting the service department's time on loose gas caps.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM

im sure its the gas cap disconnect the battery for 20min an reconnect it that should reset the system
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 PM

another option for reading diagnostic codes is a bluetooth OBD plug and the OBDII Android app on your phone. It can track what is happening while you drive.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM

go to autozone, they check it for free and print out a semi-detailed description
Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by djdavebse
im sure its the gas cap disconnect the battery for 20min an reconnect it that should reset the system
If I disconnect the cable what will I lose in information?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrgooch42
If I disconnect the cable what will I lose in information?
I recently had to replace my battery, and IIRC - the only things I had to reset were seat memory and windows "Auto-up".
Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Radio settings?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrgooch42
Radio settings?
Nope - didn't lose any.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM

The warning light went out on its own.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i too have the service engine soon light came on 90k . i took it to the dealer they check it and told me is my catalytic converted getting bad. but i'm still look for more information.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by equangvan
i too have the service engine soon light came on 90k . i took it to the dealer they check it and told me is my catalytic converted getting bad. but i'm still look for more information.
Hmmm, had the same problem on my 06 at about 90k miles. waits until the warranty is up at 80k miles to go bad, and they're not cheap.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:11 PM

UGH....I just had my service engine light come on the other day too.

My situation is a little different....it came on directly after installing an aftermarket HID kit. I did absolutely nothing else to the car except disconnect the battery and install the kit. Once I reconnected the battery and started her up, it came on and has been on. Any ideas what happened?
Old 02-24-2020, 02:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

service engine soon light came on had it scanned it was p0011 ,, i filled up the tank and tighten the gas cap drive it for a few hours the light went out,, the light came back on at half a tank ,, filled her up tighten the gas cap drove another few hours the light went back out,, i wonder if i get it scanned will p0011 still will pop up even if the the service engine soon light is off?,,oh yea i had a valvoline full synthetic high mileage maxlife oil change also.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dude's Max
service engine soon light came on had it scanned it was p0011 ,, i filled up the tank and tighten the gas cap drive it for a few hours the light went out,, the light came back on at half a tank ,, filled her up tighten the gas cap drove another few hours the light went back out,, i wonder if i get it scanned will p0011 still will pop up even if the the service engine soon light is off?,,oh yea i had a valvoline full synthetic high mileage maxlife oil change also.
I'm afraid you have a totally different (bigger) problem than gas tank cap
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0011
Old 02-24-2020, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You maybe right,,its been almost a year with the light on,,after dealer said timing cover and gaskets ,, i finally to the time to read the manual about the indicator lights and meanings 2011 maxima manual,, service engine soon light had two paragraphs,, FIRST thing it said was ● The LOOSE FUEL CAP warning will appear if the fuel-filler cap is not properly tightened.Itmaytakeafewdrivingtrips forthemessagetobedisplayed.Failure to tighten the fuel-filler cap properly after the LOOSE FUEL CAP warning appears may cause the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to illuminate.,,SECOND thing..● Failure to tighten the fuel-filler cap properly may cause the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to illuminate. If the light illuminates because the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, tighten or install the cap and continue to drive the vehicle. The light should turn off after a few driving trips. If the light does not turn off after a few driving trips, have the vehicle inspected by a NISSAN dealer. ● For additional information, see the “Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)” in the “Instruments and Controls”section in this manual. ● If fuel is spilled on the vehicle body, flush it away with water to avoid paint damage. THIRD thing..To remove the fuel-filler cap: 1. Turn the fuel-filler cap counterclockwise to remove. 2. Put the fuel-filler cap on the cap holder 1 while refueling. To install the fuel-filler cap: 1. Insertthefuel-fillercapstraightintothefuelfiller tube. 2. Turn the fuel-filler cap clockwise until it clicks.The fuel-filler cap is a ratcheting type.FOURTH and MOST IMPORTANT PART...

Loose Fuel Cap warning The LOOSE FUEL CAP warning appears in the vehicle information display when the fuel-filler cap is not tightened correctly After The Vehicle Has Been ReFueled. It may take a few driving trips for the message to be displayed. To turn off the warning, do the following: 1. Remove and install the fuel-filler cap as soon as possible. See “Fuel-filler cap”. 2. Tighten the fuel-filler cap until it clicks.

Last edited by Dude's Max; 02-24-2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: i drive LYFT i feel lucky to be able to drive the car that long, really fellas two hours straight before it went off
Old 02-24-2020, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Malfunction indicator light (MIL) If the malfunction indicator light comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a potential emission control and/or CVT malfunction. The malfunction indicator light may also come on steady if the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing,orif the vehicle runs out of fuel. Check to make sure the fuel-filler cap is installed and closed tightly, and that the vehicle has at least 3 gallons (11.4 liters) of fuel in the fuel tank. After a few driving trips, the light should turn off if no other potential emission control system malfunction exists. If this indicator light comes on steady for 20 seconds and then blinks for 10 seconds when the engine is not running, it indicates that the vehicle is not ready for an emission control system inspection/maintenance test. See “Readiness for inspection/maintenance (I/M) test”in the “Technical and consumer information”section of this manua
Old 02-24-2020, 08:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Due to legal requirements in some states and Canadian Provinces, your vehicle may be required to be in what is called the “ready condition” for an Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) test of the emission control system. The vehicle is set to the“readycondition”when it is driven through certain driving patterns. Usually, the ready condition can be obtained by ordinary usage of the vehicle. If a powertrain system component is repaired or the battery is disconnected, the vehicle may be reset to a “not ready”condition.Beforetakingthe I/M test, check the vehicle’s inspection/maintenance test readiness condition. Place the ignition switch in the ON position without starting the engine. If the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on steady for 20 seconds and then blinks for 10seconds,the I/M test condition is “not ready”. If the MIL does not blink after 20 seconds, the I/M test condition is “ready”. Contact a NISSAN dealer to set the “ready condition” or to prepare the vehicle for testing.

This vehicle is equipped with an Event Data Recorder (EDR). The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as an air bag deployment or hitting a road obstacle,data that will assist in understanding how a vehicle’s systems performed.The EDR is designed to record data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less.The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as: ● How various systems in your vehicle were operating; ● Whether or not the driver and passenger safety belts were buckled/fastened; ● How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or brake pedal; and, ● How fast the vehicle was traveling. ● Sounds are not recorded.
READINESS FOR INSPECTION/ MAINTENANCE (I/M) TEST
EVENT DATA RECORDERS (EDR)
Technical and consumer information 9-25 Information
Old 02-25-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dude's Max
You most likely don't have an oscilloscope so take it to a shop to diagnose it. They'll have to look at the wave pattern that shows when the vehicle is running. An ohm meter isn't fast enough / high enough resolution to see the quick changes in voltage.