Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Tein rear upper mount for A32

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Tein rear upper mount for A32

These are similar to Motivational Engineering, Ben's Suspension, etc. these mounts aid in the limited wheel travel we suffer from. These have pillow ***** installed, something the others didnt have. These also look as if they will hold the spring better with the machined lip. I ran ME mounts and Bens mounts, both slipped under normal use.

Thread I found them on from SR20forum:

http://www.sr20forum.com/members-rid...ut-guam-4.html
What: Tein Rear Pillow Ball Upper Mount

Part #: PRN27-3IS900

Chassis: B14 Sentra / 200SX (Originally for JN15-Rr)

Price: $149.63 + Shipping

Where: Your Newest SR20Forum Supporting Vendor: The Nismo Shop . com
Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Awsome find!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Kevlo for President

I wonder if these will work
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-Maxima-Ce...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Horizontally opposed.

so how much travel could one gain with these rear mounts? More or less than Bens mounts? Anyone actually tried them out yet?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:26 PM

After trying out the third gen reds I am a little reserved

But this could be interesting.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by Kevlo911

I'm currently wondering the same thing...they look pretty similar to the Teins, and I'm having no luck finding ben's or ME mounts for less than $110.

IMO, those and the Teins sort of look like they wouldn't offer much travel though. Ben's were pretty much a flat plate, allowing the strut piston to be raised to the same level as the spring....these appear that the strut piston would still be below the spring quite a bit, but who knows, maybe they are a little higher than stock.

I'm tempted to make my own rear mounts....they wouldn't be as pretty as the ME or Ben's (no powdercoating) but they'd work. Can anyone give me some measurements? (mount diameter and hole diameter?)

What is the reason nobody has made Front mounts that offer more travel? I'm assuming it can't be done, or at least easily done, otherwise someone would have done it. (Wait, didn't stillen make camber plates? Can't someone make those, but just mounts instead of camber plates?!)

While we're at it, would these work? A31 camber plates on an A32?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
After trying out the third gen reds I am a little reserved

But this could be interesting.
lol, those didn't turn out so well, eh?

Let's hope these ideas don't result in another catastrophe...
Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by mowgli29
While we're at it, would these work? A31 camber plates on an A32?
Well keep in mind A31s were RWD with an RB20/25... but obviously they still had struts up front so there is a chance that it might work.

I will be very interested in both of these if they work to say the least.

Note: apparently if it's installed on a shock with spring set up it will caused rattling...

Update: according to the wikipedia page the A31 and S13 share their front suspension, so these should also work on S13s and vice versa. I think we're kinda screwed, although it would be cool if all the S13 camber plates worked on A32s.

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 06-25-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Kevlo for President

Bens mounts didn't hold up to well... I will have pics later.
The strut rod was pushing against the hole in the middle of the so hard, it made its own groove in the plate and it looks to have put a small dent in the rod of the strut. I put the stock mounts on for now.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Horizontally opposed.

JSutter, have you ever tried/seen the MEP mounts? I think those were made for the P11s but I've been on so many other forums lately, I'm going

Anyway, those looked very similar to ME and Bens, but the weren't just flat. They actually had tabs to hold the springs in place. There is currently a GB going on at G20.net for FRONT mounts which are very similar to MEP, but made by someone else. It seems that the p11/p10 (especially) guys have decided it's not that beneficial to do the rear mounts, so nobody makes those anymore

Is there any chance in hell that their front mounts would work for us?

EDIT: here are the MEP mounts I was talking about: link.
and here's the current GB, with links to previous GB's: link.

Last edited by mowgli29; 06-26-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I got in contact with the guy who is selling the strut mounts on G20.net (EPSentra). I had asked about P11 rear mounts and he told me there was no need for them. Then I had mentioned that it was for a Maxima and he seemed interested in making a set for me to try out. I sent him a full front and rear mount setup a couple months back and he hasn't said much about it. He is probally busy making the G20 mounts and doesn't have time to work on these. Anyways im going to PM him again today and see if I can get an update.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all. EPSentra here, Loren in real life. I'm making the current line of G20 mounts on the G.net forum. I don't have any pictures of the upper mounts in the current group buy there but will remedy that shortly and post some pics for you peoples.
I admit I have dropped the ball on these Joe, thanks for the reminder. The Sentra build has taken a bunch of time and concentration and I just plain slacked on the rest.
The G20 mounts are a coil-over shock design as those cars use a multi-link style front suspension, with a mini upper control arm. As the rear on the Maxima is a strut, I'll have to change the design a bit to ensure they will handle the different forces. But, that's here nor there. No problem.
It would be great to have some idea of interest and numbers of units that may be needed. Refer to Joe's post above for a link to my group buy on G.net and info/pics. Keep in mind the pictures posted there are from the two previous group buys and batches. The current line is more refined, 3/16" material instead of 1/4", and has longer "ears" to further engage and locate the springs. There were no reported instances of spring seat control problems, but I didn't like the way they were so I fixed it.
Anyway, so glad to stop in here and say HI everyone. Maybe we can get something going here, and do some drops, in comfort!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

It would be a huge task to make ones for the front. The best option is to use a Ground Control caster camber plate design which places the mount on top of the strut tower. The Sentra crowd uses them and swear by them. It may be possible to modify a Stillen camber plate to sit on top in a similar fashion. I have Stillen camber plates, custom shortened Konis (CSK), & Ground control coilovers with plenty of travel, even dropped around 2". It makes more since to run CSK's then waste hours trying to make a new upper mount. Konis are the way to go.

JSutter, have you ever tried/seen the MEP mounts? I think those were made for the P11s but I've been on so many other forums lately, I'm going

Anyway, those looked very similar to ME and Bens, but the weren't just flat. They actually had tabs to hold the springs in place. There is currently a GB going on at G20.net for FRONT mounts which are very similar to MEP, but made by someone else. It seems that the p11/p10 (especially) guys have decided it's not that beneficial to do the rear mounts, so nobody makes those anymore

Is there any chance in hell that their front mounts would work for us?

EDIT: here are the MEP mounts I was talking about: link.
and here's the current GB, with links to previous GB's: link.
Yes, I am familiar with MEP mounts. The rears will fit an A32, B14, & P11. I like that design the most as the fingers should help hold the rubber seat. Id like to see the fingers a bit longer, and/or more of them however. The new ones look worth it, thicker material is nice and no welds could make for a stronger piece.

Fronts are the same bolt pattern but the P10/P11 have a crazy front suspension and those mounts will not work with our McPherson setup. Their shock/spring combo doesnt turn like ours.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well Joe, I think the fact that nobody has responded in any mass to this thread basically since the day I posted tells me I probably shouldn't be thinking about making parts for the Max's. Like I stated before, if there was a real interest I'd be into developing some mounts(front and/or rear) but it sure seems like a dead horse.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM

The Suspension thread is usually dead anyways. Try posting something in the 4th gen forum.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DMSentra
Well Joe, I think the fact that nobody has responded in any mass to this thread basically since the day I posted tells me I probably shouldn't be thinking about making parts for the Max's. Like I stated before, if there was a real interest I'd be into developing some mounts(front and/or rear) but it sure seems like a dead horse.
Here's me expressing some interest.

And I think JSutter is Jon, not Joe...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I think he means Joe, 98SEBlackMax.

There is a market for the right parts. Problem is the majority on the org could care less about the little things that matter. Hell most lowered Maxima owners buy the cheapest crap out there for looks ie: stechs (pretty much the worst R&D'ed spring out there). Its a night and day difference with the sr20forum community whom take suspension seriously. They contact major companies to get limited runs of a good product ie Hyperco springs.

As for making rear mounts: Loren, if you already make them for a P11 then start selling them here. They fit the A32. I have had 2 different sets of rear mounts. They both let the sprung slip, if yours have ears then this would help alleviate that issue. Mounts make a big difference in ride comfort. It would be nice to get this community to realize the benefits of such a simple part.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Maxima guys care about looking cool. Sentra guys realize that's a lost cause and go for suspension setup.

Seriously, if they fit I am interested. I don't see any other purpose for them but I'm just confirming, they essentially keep the upper spring perch in the same position but raise the strut rod position in relation to the spring, correct? I'm getting to the point where I have the time and will to tackle shorten the fronts again and I'd like to complete it with more rear travel as well, as I have ~400lb guys riding around in the back every once in awhile (no homo)

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 07-30-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by DMSentra
Yeah most of these guys in the regular forum would not know the advantages of these. As stated if you ever make some rear ones for the P11s they will work fine for the rear on a A32.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I'd buy them. But like others have already stated, you are not going to get widespread intrest from the 4th gen community. 95% choose cheap over quality, and never put there money where there mouth is.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:36 PM

Yeah I am probably in for a set if they are at the same price point as the Teins. How much extra travel are we talking about here, and are we looking at a pillow-ball mount or what? I might prefer a normal mount if the pillow ball is going to wear out, but I would probably be in either way.

(G.net is down otherwise I probably wouldn't be asking so many questions)

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 07-31-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 AM

Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Wild for Width

Had Bens mounts in the rear and had spring shift/noise and went to stock mounts after troubleshooting them for a few weeks. Best mount I have had in the rear was the (semi)solid mount with the D2s in the rear.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 PM

what's the deal here...
Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Horizontally opposed.

I'm bumping this beach. Been talking to Morph up there^^ about the "correct" way to install GC's....we can't decide on the best way to go about it.

I'm having a similar problem to 98SEBlackMax, the slipping. The hats are fine on mine (I have a washer under them that keeps them centered, I think.)...but often the strut piston starts rubbing on the strut mount. Basically those rubberbushings on top and bottom of the mount aren't enough to keep the strut piston centered. It rubs on the metal strut mount and then I get squeaking and clanking. So there's the problem with traditional mounts, both oem and Ben's, etc....slipping.

Now on to the Teins. Hoorayyyy, an alternative! or is it?
I started thinking about them this afternoon. They are probably great for those people with regular springs like eibachs or something. BUT, for those of us with GCs, since that pillowball replaces those bushings...the springs would basically rest solely on the pillowballs. Can you say excessive wear? You'd think they could handle it, maybe, but they were'nt designed to....so who knows.

That's my speculation...any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im resurrecting this. did anyone ever try the tein mounts w regular springs like eibachs?

Also is the major problem w the ME and Bens plates the fact that there is nothing to hold the sprin in place and it will shift causing the shaft on the shock to move around ave eventually wear and clank on the center hole? wouldnt the solution to this is to simply have some sort of tabs to hold the spring in plave like the MEP ones that are listed in this thread?

Seams to me that the solution is right around the corner and ppl just gave up instead of going for it! i understand there is a difference in mounting w GC vs regular springs....lets focus on this....the tein mounts w pillow ***** bc those pillow ***** will guarantee the excessive wear that we have seen on bens mounts will not happen

1. does it raise the suspension like ME/Ben mounts
2. will they even fit on an a32 bolt pattern and spring?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by sergofast
Im resurrecting this. did anyone ever try the tein mounts w regular springs like eibachs?

Also is the major problem w the ME and Bens plates the fact that there is nothing to hold the sprin in place and it will shift causing the shaft on the shock to move around ave eventually wear and clank on the center hole? wouldnt the solution to this is to simply have some sort of tabs to hold the spring in plave like the MEP ones that are listed in this thread?

Seams to me that the solution is right around the corner and ppl just gave up instead of going for it! i understand there is a difference in mounting w GC vs regular springs....lets focus on this....the tein mounts w pillow ***** bc those pillow ***** will guarantee the excessive wear that we have seen on bens mounts will not happen

1. does it raise the suspension like ME/Ben mounts
2. will they even fit on an a32 bolt pattern and spring?
1. it appears the teins woud raise the position of the strut piston, relative to the top of the spring, yes. However, not as much as the MEP mounts.
2. If they fit the B14/P11 chassis, yes, they'll fit the A32. I suppose I can't say for SURE about the spring, but I'd assume so.

All in all, unless you just REALLY want pillowballs in the rear, I think the MEP rear mounts would be a much better idea. I think the Tein mounts would gain pretty minimal travel, especially for the money. I think you could have a shop make you some rear mounts just like the MEP ones for cheaper than the Teins.

Also, if you're running GCs, don't waste your time with the Tein mounts. If you have the GCs installed correctly, I'm fairly certain you won't gain jack for travel, and the weight of the spring will be on the pillowball itself, which would likely cause premature failure, IMO.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 PM

All in all, unless you just REALLY want pillowballs in the rear, I think the MEP rear mounts would be a much better idea. I think the Tein mounts would gain pretty minimal travel, especially for the money. I think you could have a shop make you some rear mounts just like the MEP ones for cheaper than the Teins.
why would one want pillowballs? i was guessing people were looking at this b/c the me/beens mounts would wear an oblong hole as the strut would ram against the center hole.

i am using simple eibachs and am more than capable of makin/fabricating/weldeing a MEP style mount with retainers for the springs if thats all thats needed. i just dont want to get that clank and wear noise i have read about that the ben mounts get.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Horizontally opposed.

why would one want pillowballs? i was guessing people were looking at this b/c the me/beens mounts would wear an oblong hole as the strut would ram against the center hole.

i am using simple eibachs and am more than capable of makin/fabricating/weldeing a MEP style mount with retainers for the springs if thats all thats needed. i just dont want to get that clank and wear noise i have read about that the ben mounts get.
With pillowball mounts, as opposed to bushings, there is no undamped travel. They're not really necessary on a street car, and they can produce unwanted noise.

I think most people were looking at the Tein mounts simply because they were readily available and somewhat affordable. IMO, the only advantage they have over the MEP mounts are the fact that they are readily available. If you can make your own similar to the MEP mounts, I say go for it. As long as they have tabs to hold the spring in place, you should be fine. Oh, also, be sure to use new bushings. That too will help prevent contact between the strut rod and mount. IIRC, there are some firmer bushings made for the 300zx that are identical to our stock ones. I never got around to buying them. EDIT: found them. see the links below.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nismo-3...Path=882_5900&

Last edited by mowgli29; 03-28-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:58 PM

With pillowball mounts, as opposed to bushings, there is no undamped travel. They're not really necessary on a street car, and they can produce unwanted noise.

I think most people were looking at the Tein mounts simply because they were readily available and somewhat affordable. IMO, the only advantage they have over the MEP mounts are the fact that they are readily available. If you can make your own similar to the MEP mounts, I say go for it. As long as they have tabs to hold the spring in place, you should be fine. Oh, also, be sure to use new bushings. That too will help prevent contact between the strut rod and mount. IIRC, there are some firmer bushings made for the 300zx that are identical to our stock ones. I never got around to buying them. EDIT: found them. see the links below.

Thats great! its just a street car, im just tired of bottoming out. im going to fab up a set and use these bushings. i need two of each that you listed right?

i wonder if they make these for the front?

i cant wait to get my new konis on w these eibachs!

Last edited by sergofast; 03-28-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

These were made for OEM style springs and 2.5" coilover springs WILL NOT sit right on these Tein mounts.

I have a set of these Tein's but I haven't gotten them machined to work with 2.5" coilover springs. They will also need a spacer of some sort to sit inside the spring and make an interference fit with the machined Tein mount. This will keep the springs from slipping around on the mount.

I have GC/Konis and I think these will make a decent gain in suspension travel. The GC mount setup that I have is thicker than the Tein mount setup so the rear of the car will sit lower and I will have to raise the coilover height to account for the drop.

Funny I was looking into getting this done sometime this week or next week. The shop has been dragging their feet and are the same guys that were supposed to make me a set of adjustable lower control arms. I've called them many times and talked to Brian via AIM but still keep getting the run around.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Thats great! its just a street car, im just tired of bottoming out. im going to fab up a set and use these bushings. i need two of each that you listed right?

i wonder if they make these for the front?

i cant wait to get my new konis on w these eibachs!
I'm running those NISMO bushings on the rear mounts and I don't think they are worth it. They are stiffer than stock but are the same shape and size. You could also try the stock bushings then try the NISMO ones to see if its worth it.

Whats up with all these suspension thread bumps today? Everyone knows Maxima people don't care about handling!!!

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 03-28-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:27 PM

haha some of us do....lol even get our beams all bent out of shape on it...

So you have those Teins and they wont work w GC w/o machining first? How about with normal Eibach Pro kit springs? Thats all Im going to use with my Konis....but I want to get teh extra suspension travel.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM

you wanna sell your tein mounts? since they dont work w your GC?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

haha some of us do....lol even get our beams all bent out of shape on it...

So you have those Teins and they wont work w GC w/o machining first? How about with normal Eibach Pro kit springs? Thats all Im going to use with my Konis....but I want to get teh extra suspension travel.
These will work with OEM style springs, so any of the lowering springs (IE Eibach, H&R, S-techs) that work with the stock style struts will work with these Tein mounts.

I am still interested in getting these machined and trying them out. Some problems with the rear suspension should be fixed with these mounts, I hope. For $160 or whatever I paid for them its not a big deal to me so I don't want to re-sell them.

Plus I'm taking them to another shop and they are a good starter project for a shop. If this project goes good I will have this other place make me a set of adjustable LCAs. It is a pain to get anything made for the Maxima, but then again its a good challenge...

Though I should of just bought a z06, M3, or 300ZXTT, where all these cool parts are available off the shelf.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
These will work with OEM style springs, so any of the lowering springs (IE Eibach, H&R, S-techs) that work with the stock style struts will work with these Tein mounts.

I am still interested in getting these machined and trying them out. Some problems with the rear suspension should be fixed with these mounts, I hope. For $160 or whatever I paid for them its not a big deal to me so I don't want to re-sell them.

Plus I'm taking them to another shop and they are a good starter project for a shop. If this project goes good I will have this other place make me a set of adjustable LCAs. It is a pain to get anything made for the Maxima, but then again its a good challenge...

Though I should of just bought a z06, M3, or 300ZXTT, where all these cool parts are available off the shelf.
by looking at the tein mounts that you have does it raise the mounting point of the strut up like ME/Ben mounts? thats the only reason im even lookin at these is to gain back the travel i lost from installing the eibachs.

i was also looking at these that were suggested to me....there is an option to go with or without pillowballs

http://www.overkillengineeringmotors...e20nxremo.html
Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Nice.

Wonder if they will custom engineer me a set of front strut mounts with camber and caster adjustability? The Sentra pattern is close but won't fit on a Maxima strut tower. I should email or call them to see what they are willing to build for us.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I emailed OEM about the solid rear mounts.... They may be the way to go for travel.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Had Bens mounts in the rear and had spring shift/noise and went to stock mounts after troubleshooting them for a few weeks. Best mount I have had in the rear was the (semi)solid mount with the D2s in the rear.
I just want to update on this for anyone who reads the whole thread. While I did notice occasions of the spring shifting (and wearing the paint of the mount) the noise was being produced by the bushings under the top hat nut. Long story short the angle of the piston would change ever so slightly and would rub the inside of the bushing creating a light squeeking sound. That setup is long gone but I would imagine enlargening the hole in the bushing slightly would remedy this issue.

I run some ES generic poly bushings under the top hat nut and last winter they started to make some noise but if it warmed up enough they would quiet down. Enlarged the hole slightly and applied a small amount of synthetic grease and once they were torqued to spec I haven't heard a peep since.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Looks promising.

Hi,

On Maxima.org a few of us were talking about having some front camber/caster plates made for our cars. Stillen used to make camber plates (Cusco made them and Stillen sold them as their own) about ten years ago but they have been out of production for a while now. Used sets still sell almost as much as they sold when new (around $150 ~ $250 for used plates!). They only have adjustable camber and no caster adjustment also they are not coaxial and still rely on the stock plastic strut bushing. From a modern design standpoint they are garbage in my opinion. I got a set of used ones a few years ago before I knew much and now they are causing issues when I road course the car. When I saw your plates for the Sentras I was impressed and was wondering could you adapt the design for the Maximas?

The front suspension is very similar in design to the B14 Sentras the only difference being the parts are larger to accommodate a heavier car. I was wondering if your company can fabricate a set of top mount camber/caster plates similar to the B14 design? Or if it is easier a set of bottom mounts would suffice as well. From what I can see on your web site the existing design looks good it would just need to be a different size. I could see around 10 bottom mount sets being sold and about 3~5 top mount sets, possibly more when the word gets out. Having more positive caster would help these cars alot as they have very soft/vague steering from the factory.

If you are interested I could send you one of my Stillen plates or an OEM front plate or both if needed. I have three Stillen plates and took the best parts out of them to make two good plates. For fitment testing I could drive down to Floida or have another local Maxima guy goto your shop.

I would buy a top mount set with the triangular bracing and I know another guy who emailed you is looking for plates as well. I could see a few more people getting on board as several are looking for the used Stillen camber plates, these would be much better.

Best Regards,

- Joe

Joe, I would love to build these for your guys. I would need a couple things. I would need the shaft diameter from the shock, I would need all variations. That would be stock, Koni, kyb agx, etc. I would even need coilover, for like Ground Controls and what not. I would need all the info you can give me. I would also need a set of stock mounts, and a stillen mount would be killer. We not only can give more camber than what was made before, in the negative area, but also Caster is not a problem at all. The more info you can get for me the better. I would also need the isolater housing. This would be the housing that houses the isolater bushing and the rotational bearing. If you can get me all this info, we can build a proto set and either send it to you or we can test on a local car. I like to have the car for a couple days so we can fix anything that is a problem and then get them started for production. We are a very small shop here but we work long hours. Shoot me your thoughs on this idea. Also are you a MOD on the forum? I would love to have a spot on the forum for more parts interest if you guys need it. Right now we have a B13 in house and are building a Carbon FIber front lip, Control arms and Fender braces.

Mark-OEM

We may get these cars to handle good after all...

Quick Reply: Tein rear upper mount for A32