5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

STAGG SHS STRUTS - Anyone ever here of these??

Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 AM

STAGG SHS STRUTS - Anyone ever here of these??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAGG...Q5fAccessories

I am not in the need of struts/schocks at this time, but was searching eBay for Maxima stuff and came across these. Was curious if anyone ever heard of these, who actually makes them and if they are actually reliable.

I have never heard of this brand before, so it caught my eye.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:54 PM

free bump
i wonder too
Old 02-27-2010, 06:24 PM

I tired googled it but nothing came up.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM

Never heard of them....also tried a search and only came up with the ebay listings. Idk how great they can be for 185 shipped considering they are "performance" struts. But i did send a message to the seller asking about warranty information. As soon as he gets back i will keep you posted!!!

Last edited by StenholmEngineering; 02-28-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:22 AM

I bet they are worth every dollar...so, not much.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Well put.
Originally Posted by 2slow
Old 02-28-2010, 09:54 AM

I don't think we will know until someone actually buys a set.

I find it fishy that I can't even find the manufacturer's website though.

Last edited by Unklejoe; 02-28-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM

I emailed them and asked what a similar shock would be and the replied tokico hp's.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
I don't think we will know until someone actually buys a set.

I find it fishy that I can't even find the manufacturer's website though.
Hopefully if someone purchases these, they will be able to compare the ride to known good dampers. Beyond initial feel, I would be concerned these will puke out their guts within 4 months.

I'd love to see F-D and F-V plots, although those are rarely available from the manufacturer.

Yes, fishy indeed.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Never heard of them neither.......
Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM

I would think the fact that these are cheaper than OEM struts from Nissan reflect the quality of them.

They look pretty and all, but I imagine that's probably about all they have going for them. Tokico's struts aren't expensive for no reason...
Old 02-28-2010, 08:10 PM

I forgot to add this to a previous post, but Konis are 25% off right now; they are currently just a few dollars more than Tokico Illuminas.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:14 PM

I forgot to add this to a previous post, but Konis are 25% off right now; they are currently just a few dollars more than Tokico Illuminas.
For the inserts all the way around? What site?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
For the inserts all the way around? What site?
Right now all non-racing Konis (yellows) are 25% off.

http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/ShockValueSalerules.pdf
Old 03-01-2010, 12:05 PM

got an email from them, said they are "similar" to the tokicos and they said the warranty is also "similar" to them at "limited lifetime". So my next question is who would you go through for the warranty, the seller or manufacturer?? Cant find a site for Stagg so idk...????
Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 PM

ok so they got back to me wicked fast this time..here is what they say about the warranty.....

"Dear stenholm_engineering,

All warranties goes through us like any other brand we are one of the largest shock absorber distributors in the country and carry and warranty all brands directly through us we are an authorized dealer for all the brands we sell and we stand 100% behind everything we sell."

So idk i might give it a whirl seeing how i need struts anyway and have to get back to you guys on ride comfort and overall reliability!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 PM

i found these on ebay with vogtland springs for a lil less than 400 shipped. someone buy them and let us know
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by jdmf23accord
i found these on ebay with vogtland springs for a lil less than 400 shipped. someone buy them and let us know
Well, I almost went for them. Was so tempting based on the price, but I decided on the Vogtland/GR2 combo. Only cost $494 shipped from JDMWerks and I know what I'm getting.

I orig stated I did not need struts at time of posting but decided to go for it. I am currently riding on Tokico Blues and Maxspeed springs w/fronts cut one ring. I've had a few incidents over the past 2 years with the front left that I believe has blown the strut and am sure the right didn't take the abuse to well either.

According to the tracking, they'll be here end of week and I wil be installing over the weekend.

If anyone wants some Maxspeeds (w/one ring cut off front), I'll be selling them quite cheap very soon. PM me...
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 AM

"Greg, Stagg are fairly new in the U.S very similar in performance to Tokico they are made in China with a very unique valve design and valving and with extra hardened piston rod for reliability they use top of the line NOK japanese oil seals, the warranty is also similar to KYB and tokico with a limited lifetime warranty, Thanks

- jdmwerks13"

http://www.nok.co.jp/e/company/history/index.html
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Anyone give these a shot yet?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:10 AM

Stagg shs - ordered them last Friday got em Yesterday!

I just got mine yesterday. Took them over to a friend who owns a Napa Autocare center for a look-see. After checking them out and then running the stamped-on part number, he seems to think they are actually Bilsteins. Possibly an offshore arm of Bilstein, they are made in China by the way. The part numbers are exactly as described in the ebay auction and are stamped on the shocks/struts themselves. The color of the parts is sort of a gun-metal grey. Is this comparable to Bilsteins IDK? I will try to post some pictures here shortly, my wife had the camera yesterday. Can't wait to get them on the car to see how they feel for $160.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 AM

^now that's what I call a first post! Hehe. I am glad someone is giving these a shot bc I need struts badly and money is a concern.

Jmaxx2k, are you pairing these with lowering springs or just replacements?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:02 AM

I've been eyeing these for the last month, but didn't commit since I couldn't find anything on the org about them. My max is riding like a tank at the moment. Waiting patiently for the review, Jmaxx2k

Last edited by lake985; 03-19-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jmaxx2k
...After checking them out and then running the stamped-on part number, he seems to think they are actually Bilsteins. Possibly an offshore arm of Bilstein, they are made in China by the way.
Intersting since Bilstein doesn't appear to list any applications for the Max. Only Stanza, 300Z, and 350Z...

...I ended up with the Vogtland/GR-2 package and am extremely happy with my decision.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM

I was thinking about lowering but seeing as money is a concern I just want to get the struts and mounting plates in the car, they are making a lot of noise. Then go buy some NEXEN tires, my local shop can put a set on for $430 out the door. I am in need of tires before the rain season.

Any ideas on strut mounts & best price? After talking to my friend/mechanic he mentioned how Moog and Monroe seem to over engineer things and so those two brands would be ideal.

Also, how does the Maxima respond to lowering, is it bumpy? What are the best springs? Not looking to go real low.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM

im not the happiest person in the world with this combo...bought from jdm werks as well.
im not sure if i need to re-seat one spring in the rear. but i kinda have a one sided sag right now
far as ride quality....setting is on 3 all corners and u feel the road more than you want to....
AND the vogtland drop is more aggressive than you think/stated. i rub with my 19" rays on bumps, 1 person in the back...
so in the end, not fully happy.
leet us know how your exp. is

Originally Posted by nismopc
Well, I almost went for them. Was so tempting based on the price, but I decided on the Vogtland/GR2 combo. Only cost $494 shipped from JDMWerks and I know what I'm getting.

I orig stated I did not need struts at time of posting but decided to go for it. I am currently riding on Tokico Blues and Maxspeed springs w/fronts cut one ring. I've had a few incidents over the past 2 years with the front left that I believe has blown the strut and am sure the right didn't take the abuse to well either.

According to the tracking, they'll be here end of week and I wil be installing over the weekend.

If anyone wants some Maxspeeds (w/one ring cut off front), I'll be selling them quite cheap very soon. PM me...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
im not the happiest person in the world with this combo...bought from jdm werks as well.
im not sure if i need to re-seat one spring in the rear. but i kinda have a one sided sag right now
far as ride quality....setting is on 3 all corners and u feel the road more than you want to....
I installed them two Sundays ago and have not had one single complaint.

My follow-up review after install <<< CLICK

It sounds like you bought adjustables based on your settings comment set to 3. I purchased the GR-2 combo which is not adjustable and they seem to be a perfect match to the Vogtland springs. All 4 corners are evenly dropped, and the springs have settled some since I installed them.

I have gone over several speed bumps, small potholes (always attempt to avoid them, but...), and a few 120 mile round trip travels and am fully satisfied with this.

As a side not, I have also (since June '08) replaced tie-rods, end links, bushings, lower control arms, tranny and rear engine mount and polyurethaned front mount. Basically have a completely new front end.

There is potential that you have other issues at hand???
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
i rub with my 19" rays on bumps, 1 person in the back...
I noticed your other post in the G35 19's thread that you are running adjustable Tokico's with the Vogtlands. I have stated my opinion on the Tokico blues from experience. If the whites are anything like the blues I would have to say it might be the struts.

I will never purchase any Tokico struts for any current or future vehicle. Had bad luck with them on my '91 NX2000 many many years ago (replaced two under warranty) and was never pleased with them on my Maxima.

I had GR2's on my '96 G20 (prior to owning my Maxima a few years back) and was extremely pleased with the response. I now have them on my Maxima and have no idea why I didn't install GR-2's in the first place.

It could aslo be your tire size, but I can't say there. I saw your tire size but that doesnt seem to be too agressive.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM

I will never purchase any Tokico struts for any current or future vehicle.
That's some bold statement. When you bought your 2002 SE, did it have an OEM suspension? Those were Tokico struts.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's some bold statement. When you bought your 2002 SE, did it have an OEM suspension? Those were Tokico struts.
As I stated in another thread, Tokico OEM struts are NOT the same specs as the Tokico blues. They are built by Tokico based on Nissan's specs.

When I purchased the SE it had 59k on it and the suspension was more solid before I switched to blues and Maxspeeds at around 80k.

Part of it could have been the Maxspeed springs.

Now that I am on Vogtlands I can't comment if the sprinsg were the main issue, but the response and rebound of the GR2's are so much better than the Tokico blues. The car felt sloppy with the Blues. GR2's give immediate response to my driving habits.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM

As I stated in another thread...
OK. Some other thread...

...Tokico OEM struts are NOT the same specs as the Tokico blues. They are built by Tokico based on Nissan's specs.
Oh, I know that, Nismo. I'm just teasing you on the off chance you didn't know the SE came with Tokico struts.

I'm expecting the Blues on OEM springs to be softer than SE stock, but with less body roll, all of which is a win-win for what I want in a suspension. I'll find out in 5 days, when the Blues get installed.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 PM

Rochester, it's all personal preference. I just think the blues were too soft. Not a quick enough response (rebound). Had them for approx. 60k and never really felt comfortable. Almost as if they were built for a car that weighed much less than our Maxima's.

I am also a firm believer in cutting your bumpstops when lowering your car. This i from personal experience too. I cut approx. 1/2" off my replacement bumpstops so that I would regain some of the strut travel that you lose when lowering a car.

Several other members have commented they do not cut their bumpstops and haven't run into any isssues. I just feel more confident when I accidentally hit a pothole or similiar and I have that extra 1/2" play that I would not have had if I did not modify them.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rochester, it's all personal preference. I just think the blues were too soft. Not a quick enough response (rebound). Had them for approx. 60k and never really felt comfortable. Almost as if they were built for a car that weighed much less than our Maxima's.

I am also a firm believer in cutting your bumpstops when lowering your car. This i from personal experience too. I cut approx. 1/2" off my replacement bumpstops so that I would regain some of the strut travel that you lose when lowering a car.

Several other members have commented they do not cut their bumpstops and haven't run into any isssues. I just feel more confident when I accidentally hit a pothole or similiar and I have that extra 1/2" play that I would not have had if I did not modify them.
I agree except for the response factor. They responsed faster than stock, but I also hated how soft they felt. As for less roll they totally sucked. The rear never feels planted. After replacing the blues with brand new OEM shocks I think Nissan did a great job with the specs for the shocks...Blues just are not designed to handle the rear beam, way to floaty
Old 03-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought and installed these Stagg struts myself on my 97 Camry with 140k miles using cheapo $10 Harborfreight spring compressors. The vendor listed the 4 struts on Ebay for $150 with shipping and a life time warranty. I had to give it a try. In external appearance, the struts are top notice. Everything on the struts match up perfectly when compared to the factory struts and I think the paint job is even better. When comparing the compression and rebound to the stock struts when off of the car, the Staggs were definitely better; but then again, my struts may have been worn out even though there were no visible signs of oil leakage. A lot of the nitrogen gas must have leaked out since the rebound on the stock shocks was just about non existent.

Handling: Holds corners much better and car doesn't lean as much... if at all at moderate speeds.

Small to Medium Bumps: You can feel them more than before but then again I prefer a stiffer ride for better handling. I believe the stock struts were too soft. Rebound was fast recovering from dips in the road.

Overall: Well worth the money. I was a little bothered that the struts are made in China but couldn't believe the quality. Everything matched up during installation. I can't tell you how long they'll last. Only time will tell. But once again, the struts come with a life time warranty. I've swapped out factory struts in the past with KYB's (too soft) and Tokico's (too hard and expensive). For the price, these struts are worthwhile considering. If you want more increased handling, replace you springs with heavy duty or progressives. I see no reason to get lowering springs unless you don't mind scrapping your front end against steep angled driveway entrances.

These struts aren't available for all makes and models. So if you can pick them up for your car on Ebay, consider yourself lucky.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM

^^^^^^^^ thats a hell of a review there.. but kinda funny that its only your first post..
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 AM

review noted. but i agree, i'd like to wait till a forum member actually posts some good news.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 AM

i agree the two peaple that talk the struts up the most in this thread are both very new to the forum...ill have mine in a few weeks and i will let the forum know how they feel!!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Photos of Stagg SHS Shocks and Struts

Here you go, some photos, click the link and hopefully it will work. I had to set up a photobucket account because I did not know how you guys post photos.

http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0993.jpg

Does anybody have a preference on strut mounts, experience and longevity wise? Again, I'm just doing a replacement, not lowering the car.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by StenholmEngineering
i agree the two peaple that talk the struts up the most in this thread are both very new to the forum...ill have mine in a few weeks and i will let the forum know how they feel!!!!
Holy conspiracy theory, Batman! But now that you suggest it...
Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Online Sale at Advance Auto Parts

By the way, for anyone thinking about buying the struts and needing strut mounts, Advance Auto Parts has free shipping and $20 off if you spend over $100. It ends tonight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STAGG SHS STRUTS - Anyone ever here of these??