6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission goes berserk, only when car heats up.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM
oem ftw!

Transmission goes berserk, only when car heats up.

Hi guys,

I'm a proud new owner of an '05 6th gen 5AT. I'm having a problem where my transmission goes bonkers only after the car is warmed up and has been driven for a bit (roughly 30 minutes). When cold, it shifts smoothly with no slipping. Once it warms up, the shifts become horrific - bangs into gear when downshifting, shifts very hard from 1-2, slips from 2-3 and 3-4, hesitates here and there... Everything basically goes out of whack.

Fluid level is OK but, judging from its color, it can possibly benefit from a drain and refill. The car is under warranty, and the mechanics said that the problem is a bad solenoid (he didn't go into detail at all, so I'm uncertain as to what kind of solenoid, etc). I'm just asking here for my personal knowledge, really - has anyone ever had this problem? Does it sound like a solenoid can be the issue, or is there a deeper problem here? Anything else that I should be aware of or have them check?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by CRiME; 10-27-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Drain and fill... try some Amsoil ATF fluid. Check the group deals section here for the thread started by talkinghorse. Great guy.

I'd start there, with a fluid change, to see if that helps.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM

I found out that even with the Amsoil Oil Changes , it helps but not for the long run, its a band aid , You need to go back to Nissan and ask them to cover the drivetrain.

Most likely they give you a rebuilt tranny or new soleniod that will last another 50K or so before those goes.
you might also want to invest into a tranny cooler as well
theres a few threads
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html
Old 12-24-2009, 03:29 PM
oem ftw!

Thanks for the replies guys. Just a quick update. I finally got the time to drop the car off at the service center to get this sorted out. They called me back and said that the warranty company has approved the repairs and that they have ordered the parts that they need to fix it. They told me that "the planetary fell apart" and mentioned another problem that I cannot remember at the moment; I don't know much about the internals of the AT, but it sounds like it's going to be a big job. Will update again when I get the car back, should have her back sometime next week.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Thanks because I'm having the exact same issue
Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Yes the infamous tranny discussion. I'm having problems with mine at the moment it's shifts hard between 1 and 2000 rpms and when its downshifting i feel a bump just before i stop completely. I'm also feeling a delay in shifting when i put it in reverse and then back to drive almost feels like somebody tap my bumper kinda hard, taking it to the dealer on Tuesday
Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 AM
SHIFT_my stick

i literally just picked up my car last week from getting my tranny fixed. different options... 1st they will tell u to drain and refill with tanny fluid... some will say its just the valve body which IMO may very well be the case in ur situation... or the whole tranny is junked... so i just got a whole new re-man tranny from nissan.. so far so good.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
SHIFT_my stick

Originally Posted by lebanondon61
Yes the infamous tranny discussion. I'm having problems with mine at the moment it's shifts hard between 1 and 2000 rpms and when its downshifting i feel a bump just before i stop completely. I'm also feeling a delay in shifting when i put it in reverse and then back to drive almost feels like somebody tap my bumper kinda hard, taking it to the dealer on Tuesday

EXACTLY what my problem was. the infamous reverse to drive... pause for about 3 seconds.. then BOOM!... terrible
Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by lebanondon61
Originally Posted by lblackonblackl
EXACTLY what my problem was. the infamous reverse to drive... pause for about 3 seconds.. then BOOM!... terrible
Me too! That's exactly what was happening with mine. For some reason, it only did it when the car heated up.

Still haven't gotten my car back.
The guy said they've fixed the problem with the planetary, but one of my solenoids was also bad (I think he said Solenoid B). Due to warranty terms, the shop had to replace the entire valve body, and the parts had to be OEM. They said they ordered the VB from Nissan but it's currently on backorder, so I'm currently still waiting and hoping for the best . Hoping I see my car before February.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM
SHIFT_my stick

ouchhhh man i feel ur pain. if i have a problem with this tranny im swapping in the 6mt
Old 01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah I had the same problem and the dealer swapped out the whole thing. It is covered threw nissan up to 75,000 miles. I now have 3000 miles on the new tranny and it is perfect. But if s--t hits the fan again and I am out of the warranty I will be dropping in the 6 man.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
oem ftw!

Finally got the car back. The result was that the shop rebuilt the entire transmission. Shifts perfectly now. The only thing is that the 3-2 downshift is a little hard. No more slipping or slamming into gear on upshifts, delay from N - D / D - R is gone.

I'm going to inspect my motor mounts, because I'm sure that they could be playing a role in the shock that's felt in the downshift. After being driven for so long with the trans slamming on every shift, I'm sure that my mounts are most likely not in the greatest shape.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
oem ftw!

Update - after 1 week, 250 miles on the rebuild, driving it like a grandma, the transmission is dead again. The car came to a grinding halt today in the middle of traffic.

I noticed that the transmission developed a whining noise similar to the noise made when a car is in reverse. This noise was heard in 1st and 2nd gear. Once the car shifted into 3rd it was less less noticeable (sounded more like a high-pitched squeal as opposed to gear noise).

That seemed to be a warning sign, as everything went south today. While coasting to a stop, the car shifted down into second, made an awful grinding/clunking sound, and that was it. Was able to get it to lurch forward enough to get it to the side of the road, reverse would not engage at all. Car is now back at the shop.

Really getting fed up with this car, and I've barely even gotten a chance to enjoy it! Will update once I know more.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME
Update - after 1 week, 250 miles on the rebuild, driving it like a grandma, the transmission is dead again. The car came to a grinding halt today in the middle of traffic.

I noticed that the transmission developed a whining noise similar to the noise made when a car is in reverse. This noise was heard in 1st and 2nd gear. Once the car shifted into 3rd it was less less noticeable (sounded more like a high-pitched squeal as opposed to gear noise).

That seemed to be a warning sign, as everything went south today. While coasting to a stop, the car shifted down into second, made an awful grinding/clunking sound, and that was it. Was able to get it to lurch forward enough to get it to the side of the road, reverse would not engage at all. Car is now back at the shop.

Really getting fed up with this car, and I've barely even gotten a chance to enjoy it! Will update once I know more.
Man that sucks, but your lucky you still got warranty on it. I just bought my car, with cash, after saving for forever, and a month later my trans is giving signs.

I am very mad, shouldnt this be a recall, isn't this nissans fault for designing a ****ty transmission ?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by mojotaker
Man that sucks, but your lucky you still got warranty on it. I just bought my car, with cash, after saving for forever, and a month later my trans is giving signs.

I am very mad, shouldnt this be a recall, isn't this nissans fault for designing a ****ty transmission ?
Nissan actually didn't design the transmission. They did however fail us by putting it in the Maxima. Tranny has a flaw and needs fixed.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Took my car in for a routine belt change and the mech walked over to me and said we are going to replace the transmission under warranty before it runs out,he stated that the fluid was burnt and gunky and I do all my services and then some the tranny fluid was changed at 30000 miles it now has 53000 miles?!?! I thanked him of course. He did not like the way the shifts were. The only thing I noticed was that the down shifts were rough sometimes. So I got the car back and still some of the down shifts are a little rough when you are slowing down. As for the rest of the car everything is great just put so new Michelin's on the car and it is very quiet and smooth. I hope the tranny lasts I don't really want to get rid of this car I love It!! It haven't really had any problems from this car at all.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 PM
oem ftw!

Ok, got the car back tonight. This time, it's running great !

The hard 3-2 downshift is gone, no noises, jerks, bangs or slips. Finally feeling what this car should have run like the day that I purchased it. So far, things are looking good. Keeping my fingers crossed and continuing to take it easy on it for the next 1,000 miles or so.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 2006maxed
Yeah I had the same problem and the dealer swapped out the whole thing. It is covered threw nissan up to 75,000 miles. I now have 3000 miles on the new tranny and it is perfect. But if s--t hits the fan again and I am out of the warranty I will be dropping in the 6 man.
Check dtc codes and see if codes for camshaft position sensor if so replace both of them I know doesn't make any sense at all just see if it codes for cam sensors I might just know what I'm talking about.If it doesn't code for them then this might not be your problem. Trust me I know first hand if it codes for them replace them and u will see
Old 04-22-2020, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine does the 3 sec then boom when you put it in drive.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ah...the old dreaded TSB on the valve body. That and the floor pans were never recalled [that I know of]. Did the floor pan/panel bond kit myself, and the valve body I had a guy do it at a flat fee. Throw in old crusty motor mounts, and welcome to the "banging" most have that haven't addressed or fixed yet.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've replaced all motor mounts with brand new ones and its gotten better but still happens from time to time but alot smoother when it does transmission no longer slips but get rough after driving for more then 45 minutes stoping at red lights every 10 feet now if your in the country it dosen't do it at all. I believe its the solenoid
Old 05-12-2020, 06:40 AM

Solenoids and possible time to put in a shift kit from Transgo not the Performance Shift Kit but the shift enhancement kit. I had a similar issue when cold and the solenoid pack's oil temp sensor was faulty or slightly out of calibration. You manually shifted the car less than 500 ft and it drove as designed after that. Had me scratching my head! I changed the solenoid pack and the problem was eliminated.