6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Old 08-25-2009, 05:53 AM

Re5f22a transmission fix

Summary: http://forums.maxima.org/7522453-post153.html and http://forums.maxima.org/7524115-post156.html
after install comment: http://forums.maxima.org/7548987-post170.html
Nissan Valve Body part #s http://forums.maxima.org/8009873-post552.html
The newest version hopefully is a fix...
Update: 09OCT2013: Rostra Solenoids installhttp://forums.maxima.org/8862110-post1253.html
All links updated 11/11/2014. As of 10/2014 Transgo shift kit has been updated/improved.

so I was searching the net and came across gearsmagazine for this month and it had an article talking about our 5 speed transmission with a fix. http://www.gearsmagazine.com/images/.../2009_8_68.pdf I will be calling in a couple hours to talk with a transgo rep because they don't have this listed on their site. I am curious to know if this is finally the fix. I have already rebuilt my valvebody with new internals, this seems to machine the valvebody and replace parts. depending on the complication of the job I might attempt this repair myself. would save a couple hundred bucks not to mention piece of mind knowing it was done right.

Last edited by po8pimp; 11-11-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 AM

Well isnt that just dandy ? After I got thru 2 trannys and now convert over 6spd...

anyways good find . good luck
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 AM

Just got off the phone with Jim from transgo and he said they make a shift kit for our vehicle and that we can purchase the kit from any of their parts suppliers. here is their site with a list of their distributors. He said the kit is new and is probably not reflected on any of the websites yet, and to just ask. Make sure you mention Shift Kit and not Master rebuild kit. http://www.transgo.com/distributors.php
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 AM

I thought Chern went with a Transgo Shift kit ?

My orginally build I had that listed and it was around UNLESS its an improved shift kit ?

But I spoke to Transgo about it in Cali and they as well told me I can purchase it thru tranny shops locally cause they do not deal directly.

Not sure if they made improvements
Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
I thought Chern went with a Transgo Shift kit ?

My orginally build I had that listed and it was around UNLESS its an improved shift kit ?

But I spoke to Transgo about it in Cali and they as well told me I can purchase it thru tranny shops locally cause they do not deal directly.

Not sure if they made improvements
must be new, they don't even have it listed on their site. i know they made a master rebuild kit which has all the clutch bands and gears.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:29 AM

Can you repost the link you have in your initial thread. I was not able to open it. I just bought a new tranny and I have a automatic trans. It has a 4year warranty and I have noticed my shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st isn't always smooth. Is what you're posting supposed to be our fix to our tranny problems whether you have a manual or auto tranny?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by mmotown
Can you repost the link you have in your initial thread. I was not able to open it. I just bought a new tranny and I have a automatic trans. It has a 4year warranty and I have noticed my shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st isn't always smooth. Is what you're posting supposed to be our fix to our tranny problems whether you have a manual or auto tranny?
I appologize but the link doesn't work because that was an august issue which is now archived into the past issues. Here is the site http://www.gearsmagazine.com/pastissues.aspx register for free and look at the August issue for the RE5F22A.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 PM

bump for more info.

this sounds like something for me! do they work for the 2005 too? it says 00-04?

RE4F03B-HD2
NEW

Nissan & Infinity
Sentra & G20
00-04

Corrects: No 3rd after 4-2 or 3-2 kickdown.
Leaky worn, bad design inner clutch seal.
Soft 1-2 shift.
Long shifts hit rev limiter.
Firmer 4th & Lockup.
Designed for Nitrous or Turbo Charging.
Has "Trick valve, Hot Rod - Street Show Off

whats this "trick valve" thing?

link of transgo shift kit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-RE4F04B-HD2/

as for install it says it takes several hours and all you need is basic handtools.
even comes with a how to video!

Last edited by My-Body-Is-Ready; 09-15-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 AM

I don't believe that is the right 4 speed transmission. The transmission kit I was referring to is for the 5speed and is not listed on their website nor in their catalog due to it being so new and them not updating their site. The guy I spoke with said they have a kit and to talk with one of the distributors listed on their site for more information on how to order it.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:27 AM

http://www.transgo.com/newproducts.php Was doing some looking around and found that Transgo did finally make the shift kit and have it listed on their website. Also includes all the issues we are having as what they are trying to correct with it. Finally here after allmost 6 years. I will be getting this kit and installing it here in the near future like next 2 months. If someone does this before me please post part number and results. Ohh and cost of kit and repair. Hours it took to do or the shop to do would be helpful as well. Thanx. When I do this I will do it at home and make a video while doing it. Our transmission is also referred to as the Aw55-50sn
Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 PM

I know Level 10 has a full rebuild kit... and they offer valve body/torque converter upgrades as well...

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_PTS...-g110-9000.htm
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
so it's a rebuild kit and not a, for lack of a better word, performance shift kit?
Not exactly. If you want a performance upgrade go with Level 10. This is a fix it kit. Fix the problems our transmissions have with shifting. It is in a sense a shift kit. I was thinking of getting a level 10 valve body upgrade, however I live in Hawaii and the shipping is rediculous and I can't wait till I get back to the mainland to ship it out. This kit is for those not wanting to do performance mods but want a working transmission. I think the cost of repair would be much less with this kit vs shipping and cost of a level 10 upgraded valve body.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 PM

Please so how do i use this shift kit ?

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Not exactly. If you want a performance upgrade go with Level 10. This is a fix it kit. Fix the problems our transmissions have with shifting. It is in a sense a shift kit. I was thinking of getting a level 10 valve body upgrade, however I live in Hawaii and the shipping is rediculous and I can't wait till I get back to the mainland to ship it out. This kit is for those not wanting to do performance mods but want a working transmission. I think the cost of repair would be much less with this kit vs shipping and cost of a level 10 upgraded valve body.

Hi there, this is my first post please take it easy on me.

Ok i noticed my transmission has started messing up i.e if i switch to reverse, there is a delay and then a bang. and also the same from reverse to drive.

So do i just by the shift kit and go to a transmission repair shop, or do i have to ask them to rebuild/repair my transmission, before i can use this.

I just bought my 06 auto maxima for 12g and this strarted happening like a month after, i dont know what to do, and im very low on cash at the moment.

thank u in advance
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM

P.S. I also found this post on another site too:

http://www.enginegeeks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 PM

when I went to the trans shop to have the sonnax parts installed, I spent 350 on the service and brought my own parts in which ran about 250. that was just to have the sonnax parts put in. The teflon thing you are reading about might be part of the cause, however the tranny I have still has that issue with the sonnax parts installed. The problem lies in the boost valve not putting the fluid where it needs to go fast enough causing a harsh shift/delayed shift. eventually this will destroy your tranny if not taken care of. Another issue with this tranny is that it gets way too hot. Does not have a good enough cooler on it. An external cooler should solve that issue. I completely lost 3rd gear because my tranny was too hot. As soon as I get tax returns I will be adding the cooler and shift kit. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM

when I went to the trans shop to have the sonnax parts installed, I spent 350 on the service and brought my own parts in which ran about 250. that was just to have the sonnax parts put in. The teflon thing you are reading about might be part of the cause, however the tranny I have still has that issue with the sonnax parts installed. The problem lies in the boost valve not putting the fluid where it needs to go fast enough causing a harsh shift/delayed shift. eventually this will destroy your tranny if not taken care of. Another issue with this tranny is that it gets way too hot. Does not have a good enough cooler on it. An external cooler should solve that issue. I completely lost 3rd gear because my tranny was too hot. As soon as I get tax returns I will be adding the cooler and shift kit. I will keep you posted.
So we are kinda in the same shoes. I havent done my valve overhual yet, but isint the shift kit supposed to solve the issue with over heating ?
with my previous car i had transmission problems too, with the experience, i was able to detect/know that my transmission is acting up. I know that my transmission is not in a very bad shape yet, can i put off my tranny repair so i can buy the engagement ring, or put off on that and handle the transmission ? ( weird question i know).

one more question, shouldnt labour be cheap if all we/am doing is installing the shift kit ?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 PM

I think a lot of our transmissions have the heatsink type cooler, which isn't compatible with the Stillen/etc. kits... ?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by dafertilizer
lol IMO woman have much less patience then cars
Yeah man lol

Oh good news for those who are intrested

let me quote

From what I understand, the most important fix will be the shift kit from transgo. You can see it here: (http://www.transgo.com/SK-AW55.pdf) I was told that this kit repairs the problem all by itself, but I got a little **** and installed far more new parts into the valve body. I think you can install the transgo kit without even removing the valve body from the transmission. If you don't have a decent amount of experience in car repair, you could order the kit and ask a local transmission shop to install it. If you were in the bay area, you could hire me to do it. The transgo shift kit costed me a little over $100 bucks. The fluid (nissan matic k) costs about $10 a quart. You'll need about 3 of them. You'll need a side pan gasket which shouldn't be too pricey. If I were to guess a shop labor price for the transgo kit installation, I would think no more than $400. So you might spend About $550 for the shift kit with installation, but if you want to get the entire valve body rebuilt, I think $1500 might be the going rate. Is your check engine light on? What are the code(s)?

posted by the cardoc from enginegeeks.com
Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea, i'm a Noob and I did a search for transmission issues and found this article. this is very helpful. i just noticed on my 04 max with 95,000 that it seems like my tranny is slipping . I've been experiencing the slamming after coasting through a light and then trying to accelerate it has happend twice and Ive got enough exprience with cars that I can tell a tranny issues. Sounds like I need to get on this A.S.A.P to minimize the damage. Thanks for this post.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by mojotaker
Yeah man lol

Oh good news for those who are intrested

let me quote

From what I understand, the most important fix will be the shift kit from transgo. You can see it here: (http://www.transgo.com/SK-AW55.pdf) I was told that this kit repairs the problem all by itself, but I got a little **** and installed far more new parts into the valve body. I think you can install the transgo kit without even removing the valve body from the transmission. If you don't have a decent amount of experience in car repair, you could order the kit and ask a local transmission shop to install it. If you were in the bay area, you could hire me to do it. The transgo shift kit costed me a little over $100 bucks. The fluid (nissan matic k) costs about $10 a quart. You'll need about 3 of them. You'll need a side pan gasket which shouldn't be too pricey. If I were to guess a shop labor price for the transgo kit installation, I would think no more than $400. So you might spend About $550 for the shift kit with installation, but if you want to get the entire valve body rebuilt, I think $1500 might be the going rate. Is your check engine light on? What are the code(s)?

posted by the cardoc from enginegeeks.com
That kit is at least 250 alone with the drill bits and parts. I would suspect if you just did the shift kit, you would be looking at about 700 labor and gaskets and shift kit. As far as fluid. There is no way 3 quarts is enough. I recommend if you have a tranny like mine that goes through the radiator that you do a complete drain and fill to get everything out. Also might want to concider a new filter while your at it. So total about 850. Fluid is not cheap and I would go with AMSOIL Full Synthetic. Best on the market next to a special type Castrol makes. I think those are about 14 a quart. You will need about 9-12 quarts for a complete drain and fill. That is drain the fluid. Fill it up, idle the car, drain the fluid again. You should do this about 3 times. Then you should be good. I am pretty sure we also have a magnet in our fluid pan so you should clean that off as well.

As for the heat sink type coolers, not all Maxima's came with them. The best way to check is to look at the cooler and if it goes to the radiator, then you don't have the heatsink type. If it doesn't go to the radiator I recommend you find one online that does so you can add a cooler to it. The shift kit should reduce some of the temp.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm going to have this done in the next month or two. I showed my tech the link and he was excited about it. He said the kit from Nissan costs about $280 alone. He said this kit is better as one doesn't have to change the whole valve body, and you don't have to take the transmission off the car. I wasn't clear on whether that was the case with the Nissan OEM kit or not. He gave me a price of $300 for labor and said it would take a whole day to do it. I'm definitely doing this soon as I don't want to take a chance on my car's transmission going out.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:39 PM

Yea the transmission does not have to be removed to take off the Valve body. I would stay away from any "Nissan Kit". I have been to 4 different dealers and not one could figure out what was wrong with the tranny. A few of the members on the org here along with myself have put alot of time and money pinning this thing down to a fault in the valvebody. Finally coming up with Level 10 as a solution until a fix it kit was available. this booster valve has been available from Sonnax for some time now just they didn't have the tool needed to complete the job. At least when I ordered my parts they didn't. Either way don't go with a Nissan kit as they suck. I had my valvebody taken off and apart and pieces replaced and put back on in 3 hours. To drill it and do it right would probably take 4-5. Make sure you have the paper gaskets for the Valve body before you start. They tear easy and better safe than sorry.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 AM

So this kit causes the teflon parts to not stick? or it causes the tranny to run cooler? i guess what im asking is how exactly does it fix the transmission?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 PM

So this kit causes the teflon parts to not stick? or it causes the tranny to run cooler? i guess what im asking is how exactly does it fix the transmission?
the valvebody is defective in not being able to get the fluid where it needs to be fast enough causing a airpocket in a sense. that is why the tranny shifts hard. with that happening you get alot of heat which is bad for the tranny. This kit puts a bigger boost valve in which gets the fluid there alot faster. with this in there will be no harsh shifts and a huge reduction of temp.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 PM

so who sells the boost valve?

I just got an 04 with 55k miles on it, and I feel it ever so slightly jerking a lil bit into 2nd gear...
And considering I just lost the tranny in my 2k max, I wanna make sure this one lasts
Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Ok, so where can we actually purchase this kit? I can't find anything online. (aside for what's already been posted)
have to get it through a distributer, sonnax also sells the boost valve.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Gotcha... have you seen any prices?

Have a part # for the booster valve?
http://www.sonnax.com/tech-articles/TASC-TIP-06-08.pdf good reading, look at Nissan, specifically the heat and shifting. http://www.sonnax.com/announcements/59947-12K.pdf and http://www.sonnax.com/part_summary.php?id=4734&pl=3 there is a distribution listing on the bottom of the page. As for prices I think it was around 250 for this part.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 PM

so are the transgo kit and the sonnax kit the same type of kits? or should they both be installed?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM

so are the transgo kit and the sonnax kit the same type of kits? or should they both be installed?
They are the same type of kit. I would talk with a local trans shop so they can help you figure out what you will need.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:33 AM

cool, the odd thing I have noticed is that my tranny acts up when its cold and starts working fine when its warmed up, which is the opposite of everyone else's isssues i have read
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Found this guy on eBay selling the Sonnax kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=110482939699

I am assuming correctly when I say this is all we'd need to fix things?

I'm just thinking about the future if my 5AT starts acting up...
Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 AM

yup that's the kit. good find. remember not to use a drill.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM

Yeah. No drill. Use the reamer included with the kit.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, is the item shown at this link what we need to buy and have installed to fix the tranny issue, or is it something else? link of transgo shift kit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-RE4F04B-HD2/
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Looks like that's the one for the 4sp auto.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Hmmm... I'm also wondering if it would be worth it to order/install the rest of the parts for the valve body... I mean, if the mechanic is in there, why not? Especially the parts that don't require tooling:

http://www.sonnax.com/part_finder.ph..._only_sc=false

Specifically:

59947-01K
59947-03K
59947-05K
59947-09K
59947-LPC

Since those require no reaming, I would think since you're in there, it'd be worth replacing all those parts too... But what the heck to I know!

Found this place that has most of the parts for sale, so you can get a good idea on cost:

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...16&Search.y=12

Don't know how reliable/legit they are, but that's the only place I found that had prices.

Here's a good pic of everything:

http://www.ringgears.com/exploded-vi...-11-09-web.pdf

Last edited by Oolatec; 02-05-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Hmmm... I'm also wondering if it would be worth it to order/install the rest of the parts for the valve body... I mean, if the mechanic is in there, why not? Especially the parts that don't require tooling:

http://www.sonnax.com/part_finder.ph..._only_sc=false

Specifically:

59947-01K
59947-03K
59947-05K
59947-09K
59947-LPC

Since those require no reaming, I would think since you're in there, it'd be worth replacing all those parts too... But what the heck to I know!

Found this place that has most of the parts for sale, so you can get a good idea on cost:

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...16&Search.y=12

Don't know how reliable/legit they are, but that's the only place I found that had prices.

Here's a good pic of everything:

http://www.ringgears.com/exploded-vi...-11-09-web.pdf
I had all these parts installed allready, didn't make a difference. The parts that came out looked just like the parts that went in. No they are not purple. I thought that when I bought the parts but they are grey. The parts cost about 250 so if you buy all the parts you are looking at 500 at least in parts. then 3-400 in service. I bought all my parts from transmissionpartsusa and had no problems with the products. very legit company that was recommended from the shop that did the install. If you have the cash go for it.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 PM

More good info, thanks! If my tranny starts to act up I'll prob just go with the boost valve kit then.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:31 PM

I had all these parts installed allready, didn't make a difference. The parts that came out looked just like the parts that went in. No they are not purple. I thought that when I bought the parts but they are grey. The parts cost about 250 so if you buy all the parts you are looking at 500 at least in parts. then 3-400 in service. I bought all my parts from transmissionpartsusa and had no problems with the products. very legit company that was recommended from the shop that did the install. If you have the cash go for it.
So you had all the parts installed and it made no difference? your tranny is still having the same issues?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so I hate to hyjack someone else's thread but think this might be relevant I just took my max to the transmission repair shop to begin my repair journey. So, they drive it, put it in the air and on the machine and find a bad motor mount, and a OBD code P0726 " Engine Speed Input Circuit Range/Performance " I've been doing a fair amount of research on this code and possible causes and have had lilttle to no luck, would the harsh shifiting we are seeing cause this ODB code? funny thing is service engine light was not even on, so how the heck did they find the code? do you guys tink it's legit? or are they trying to screw me?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX